Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

I drew today’s comic using a combination of Clip Studio on the Mac and Sidecar on the iPad, just to prove it could be done. And what I learned is this: you could do it if you needed to and no one would be able to tell the difference.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

If Ace had "launched" out the window, it wouldn't be closed.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

that's good

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Thanks for the Little Lefty-era history lesson, everyone. It's real interesting to compare the comic strip with what other contemporaries were writing at the time, all with the benefit of hindsight. It paints a much more complete picture than a summary in a text book would, I think. I wonder if there are any Lefty strips that directly talk about, as you all mentioned, the impending Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact a few years down the line and the subsequent carving up of Poland.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Mid-August is the O-Bon holiday, when the spirits of the dead visit the land of the living. Cucumber horses (and eggplant cows) with chopstick legs are a traditional decoration, set out for the spirits to ride to ease their journey.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: La Machine

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Jesus, Willie!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Melon no!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 12, 1953)

Snoopy's association with birds continues to solidify.

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 18-19, 1990)

I'd switch it around. Start taking *his* coins away and then force him to ask me for the correct amount back if he doesn't want me to keep them. :devil:

Further evidence that Calvin can actually succeed if people bother to engage with him at his level.

No Blind Alley today.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He'll be fine! He's a melon!

e:

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 18-19, 1990)
Further evidence that Calvin can actually succeed if people bother to engage with him at his level.

it's always been very clear that Calvin is extremely intelligent, he just does not enjoy the forced structure of school. he probably would be diagnosed with something in the modern world and given ritalin or adderall or similar. counter to the "fan" comic, this would not destroy the deep imagination he has or turn Hobbes irrevocably back into an ordinary stuffed animal

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 14, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 23, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

A Sketchy Life: Just for the variety of things, all of my snip-n-pastes this week tie in with the overarching theme of "working girls". (February 11, 1926)

Our cover (and potential HR report) comes from Richard V. Cutler,.

Loren Stout (If you're curious, the only biographical thing I can come up with here is "1891-1942". Hope you have better luck than I did.):

Gluyas Williams:

Don Herold:

And the grand old man Charles Dana Gibson.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shugojin posted:

it's always been very clear that Calvin is extremely intelligent, he just does not enjoy the forced structure of school. he probably would be diagnosed with something in the modern world and given ritalin or adderall or similar. counter to the "fan" comic, this would not destroy the deep imagination he has or turn Hobbes irrevocably back into an ordinary stuffed animal

That's because Hobbes is actually Calvin's Stand [Tiger Eye]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Loren Stout is the same person as Lauren Stout, according to this post anyway, Stout also spelled his first name Loren.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I haven't been reading Little Lefty because the first story was about racial integration and Ralph Ellison got to me first when it comes to Stalinists and that subject.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Did he put the villains on the left and heroes on the right? Shouldn't they be the other way around, or am I making up rules about comic book composition?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Elementals Force
vs
Strong Force

I've seen better naming in City of Heroes jfc. The pose of Baryon seems really close to the Chad of Virgin vs Chad, too. Him and Dr. Atmos, who looks like he has one leg and one arm (Scorch does too the more I look at it), are just horribly posed. And then Atmos and the Subterranian both having their legs flee off the page makes the art look horribly off-center.

Sentinels of the Multiverse, especially really on, had some really dodgy art. But you could tell that it was being done by someone who was legitimately a fan of the medium and the art style. Batiuk looks like he puts absolutely no thought or effort into this thing he's supposedly a fan of.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Professor Wayne posted:

Did he put the villains on the left and heroes on the right? Shouldn't they be the other way around, or am I making up rules about comic book composition?
I remember him making the exact same mistake with a Dr. Atmos solo comic where Atmos was standing there like Doom and the villain was leaping in with a lightning spear, he extremely had the action and framing entirely backwards by putting the hero there in a challenging passive posture and the villain there in an active position. I don't think he loving knows things about things.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I don't know why Batiuk didn't just name them "The Elementals" or "Elemental Force", unless someone did a trademark search and found that both were already in active use by other companies.

Also, am I looking at things wrong, or is the Oceanaire's neck weirdly long?

Edit: Why would you put Doctor Atmos' arm in front of his face on the cover of the first issue of the team book?

I suppose you might if there was some plot reason that the Atmos in the book is actually someone who isn't the Doctor Atmos in the self-titled book, intended as a plot surprise.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 14, 2022

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Why the gently caress is Batiuk spending time on his cancer strip inventing superheros that would have been rejected by DC

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is that a Ray J Johnson reference?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Why the gently caress is Batiuk spending time on his cancer strip inventing superheros that would have been rejected by DC

remember when this storyline was about how women in comics get sidelined by men with connections and mediocre ideas

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's no "Quantum Force" but there is "Quantum and Woody" on Valiant comics.

Quantum Force vs Elemental Force makes so much more sense, how did he not go that route?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can't call them both Force, that is just confusing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What kills me is "Elementals" vs "Elemental." If you can't have a good name at least say it out loud and immediately realize "The Elemental Force" works better.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

remember when this storyline was about how women in comics get sidelined by men with connections and mediocre ideas

It has been at least 3 "The World's Least Creative Hacks" strips since Ruby had dialogue, lol.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The Elementary Force would be even better. But this is Batiuk. He thinks Oceanaire, which should be a slightly-shabby motel in Florida, is a good name.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

This metaphor would work a lot better if the guy on the blue side of the boat was saying "I have to think carefully about if it's really the right thing to do to paddle this boat, actually it's probably best if I don't paddle it at all."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who's Funky Winkerbean for? I cant think of any demographic that would fit what it's trying to do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Who's Funky Winkerbean for?

Tom Batiuk

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Hey remember a couple of weeks ago when people in this thread said we were being nuts for being uncharitable towards "based Pastis" for his bullshit half-hearted call for class consciousness?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

duz posted:

Is that a Ray J Johnson reference?

I certainly hope not - 'cause otherwise the Simpsons meme thread would be having problems

Vargo posted:

Hey remember a couple of weeks ago when people in this thread said we were being nuts for being uncharitable towards "based Pastis" for his bullshit half-hearted call for class consciousness?

I certainly hadn't!

But enough on me ranting on centrists - in today's Blueberry: Vigo brings Lopez up to speed, or Racism also existed in Mexico - alas, or McClure and Wooley enter the scene with the level of professionalism we've come to expect from them!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I took a sneak peek on today’s Funky Winkerbean and you’d better believe we’re going back to Hollywood, it’s Oscars season!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

looks to me like he does have sculptor's block :haw:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Arlo and Janis has always been about sex, but I feel this is much more openly about sex than he'd brave in previous years.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Meet Mom (October 24-30, 2005)

Been a while.

First appearance: Dorothy Kindle, a.k.a. Kevin's mom. So I can finally update this thing:

(Click for big.)

Updates to this will be getting more and more far in-between, because the strip has started to focus on secondary characters more and more often, and frankly? Screw keeping track of all of those, y'all can do it if you want. I'm limiting myself to people who have a family or blood connection to the main cast. (To note: Frank Mangle, the lion in the second strip, will eventually be included in the relationship chart. But that's still several years in the future.)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 14, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni Girl

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/13/02

Brenda Starr 3/1-3/48

Smokey Stover 3/10/46

Everyday Movies 11/3/34

"It's outrageous! Here it is the fifth of November and you're still asking October first rental?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mr. Melon Bread will be fine, modern medicine is amazing. They can even replace his liver if they have to.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 09, 1949)