Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

playing game of the year it takes two. we’ve skipped every cutscene because the dialogue is unbearable but the gameplay is pretty tight and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

barotrauma status: someone accidentally(?) loaded a nuclear shell into one of our ventral railguns and one of the new players saw a crawler swim up to pursue the submarine while we were about 10 seconds away from station docking. they shot it at point blank

it's moments like these that make me enjoy multiplayer games :allears:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/caIamarti/status/1492322228955983876

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Vintersorg posted:

it'll always bug me how they rat hosed that series in the name of greed

Unless posted:

they had a silly plan to release the sequels to hl2 as episodes and quit after the cliffhanger at the end of 2 and then retcon’d

This take is so off the mark I'm actually curious where you got it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

They pioneered the money printing concept of episodic content and then cancelled it for a decade until they released a vr only game on money losing hardware

None of that would have been possible without Gabe Newell owning Valve privately and steam paying their bills enough they could be perfectionists about the series

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

RokosCockatrice posted:

This take is so off the mark I'm actually curious where you got it

right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

seemed a reasonable take to me :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

but it's the exact opposite of greed. they said they made a mistake with the episodic format and didn't feel like they could keep turning out high quality episodes so they scrapped it altogether. if they were driven by greed they would have just cashed in and released bland episodes until they drove it into the ground

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Gordon Freeman Forever is gonna come out one day

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i interpreted the greed comment as them taking the easy route cashing in on stuff like tf2 hats instead of finishing what they started

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

they completely abandoned finishing the story after they saw how much money cosmetic microtransactions make

they could have had a team continue it while still making their 100s of millions but didn’t

that’s what I meant

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

RokosCockatrice posted:

They pioneered the money printing concept of episodic content

is it though cause they also invented lootboxes and tf2 hats shortly afterwards

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

they completely abandoned finishing the story after they saw how much money cosmetic microtransactions make

they could have had a team continue it while still making their 100s of millions but didn’t

that’s what I meant

this is where you're wrong- HL3 development was started two times in the intervening years and abandoned once gabe said it wasn't good enough

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I mean, you're wrong in several ways but that's a good starting place

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
a few years ago someone posted a maybe gender-swapped summary of what hl3's story would have been, and they didnt release that because the ending would have been pretty disappointing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it was Marc laidlaw, the writer for the half life series. it was the hl3 script he had written that tied it all up. he released it with different names for stuff but if you’ve played the games you’ll know what’s happening

he released it as “Epistle 3”: https://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
finished Death’s Door.

What a nice time.

Needed a map though.

True Ending: was disappointing… only one extra boss who was fairly meh in comparison to the lord of doors fight. not sure I would collect ALL THE THINGS if I knew it was going to be underwhelming

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/funnywes/status/1492329206470131715?s=21

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

y'all complaining about half-life like they didn't just ship a new half-life two years ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

y'all complaining about half-life like they didn't just ship a new half-life two years ago

didnt the steam thread get extremely salty that alyx was vr-only?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drat. has it been 2 years already

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read more than one post where the poster was really disappointed with alyx and said it was boring and crappy and lame and short, and then it came out some time later that they didn't have a vr headset and had used some hack to play it on a flat screen with a mouse and keyboard.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol no way

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

drat. has it been 2 years already

2 years or 1 pandemic, however you measure it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sagebrush posted:

i read more than one post where the poster was really disappointed with alyx and said it was boring and crappy and lame and short, and then it came out some time later that they didn't have a vr headset and had used some hack to play it on a flat screen with a mouse and keyboard.

They were wiser than the people spending four figgies on a metaverse intterfacing helmet

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ichiban is such a good dude. i hope things end up better for him in the next yakuza.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

got the hitman 3 elusive target by making him slip on a banana peel and then shooting him in the head. the perfect crime

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Jenny Agutter posted:

got the hitman 3 elusive target by making him slip on a banana peel and then shooting him in the head. the perfect crime

Open and shut Johnson, the banana shot him, shed it's clothes and left

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RokosCockatrice posted:

this is where you're wrong- HL3 development was started two times in the intervening years and abandoned once gabe said it wasn't good enough

seems still abandoned sooo? stop splitting hairs

ive read "hl is only made to push hardware" which seems like some BS - i'll stick with my hyperbole :cheeky:

my friend has Alyx though and im gonna try that once the plague settles.

remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Alex is cool for what I tried of it but aiming guns kinda sucks. maybe it’s just me though. I have to shoot left handed because I can’t see well enough with my right eye

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my right eye is my bad eye (its the one my brain doesnt use) but i always shot right-handed growing up cause it was good enough and im right handed. i was a really good shot back in the day, except i never got the hang of wing shooting and never had the opportunity to actually sit down and practice

i bet my right eye is bad enough now that i'd do better re-learning to shoot left handed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

seems still abandoned sooo? stop splitting hairs

ive read "hl is only made to push hardware" which seems like some BS - i'll stick with my hyperbole :cheeky:

my friend has Alyx though and im gonna try that once the plague settles.

remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw

it's not to push hardware, it's to push their software. basically the half-life series is any time they want to work on next-generation stuff. they then release the game as a tech demo to say, 'this is what this new stuff is capable of'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
alyx was made to push hardware, hl2 and episodes were made to push steam, I'm not sure if hl1 was made to push anything

aiming a gun is hard in vr because it's exactly like aiming a gun in real life, namely a lot harder than aiming a gun in a normal fps

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

saturation fire will do

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

haveblue posted:

alyx was made to push hardware, hl2 and episodes were made to push steam, I'm not sure if hl1 was made to push anything

aiming a gun is hard in vr because it's exactly like aiming a gun in real life, namely a lot harder than aiming a gun in a normal fps

do you even get to hold your gun with two hands for stability in vr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

do you even get to hold your gun with two hands for stability in vr

you can if you want, if you can get two hands on the controller without blocking a sensor or something it does help stabilize it

I meant more that in VR you do have to pay attention to the angle of your hands, and the orientation of the gun, and use the sight or scope as it was intended to be used, as opposed to normal FPSes where the character aims unerringly at the center of the screen so you just have to get the crosshair on the target with the mouse or sticks

if you shell out for accessories or get into maker poo poo you can have a VR controller shaped exactly like a pistol grip or a stock or whatever and then it feels like a real gun in your hands and must be aimed in literally the exact same way as a real one. the recoil and kick is still impossible to simulate, though

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 14, 2022

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah VR is where I start to go like, why am I using my meat body and shifty nervous system here, I suck at coordination and this is just too realistic let me play dark souls instead

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

elite dangerous is good though. I can fly a ship alright

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
new Multi-Blank Technology: for gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm gonna have to see if i can get elite dangerous going on my lovely internet, it's been way too long and i want to Space again