Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cause it looks cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Especially when you're on a TV schedule where you're sometimes presenting several iterations of any given piece, and then turning around additional notes on that for the next day, anything that saves time and still lets you get the point across is going to help rather than hinder the process. Applying a generic filter across a collage of photos, 3d models, and paintovers is just going to help everything blend together in a way that doesn't distract from what the art is trying to convey.

Should they publish the art as part of their actual TV show? Maybe not, but it's more interesting than the credits Star Wars usually has, and is cheaper than going full Marvel with it.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 14, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hello, career artist here: It's not "just concept art" when they include high res versions of all of them in the same specific style within the actual show. At that point it is very much production art and is created to be so. I don't really care for the filter effect they're putting on it, but the techniques mentioned are all very common.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah plus they look totally fuckin sweet

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They could look better, imo. Filter effects are pretty ugly and cheap looking, but that's also because I know and recognize them as such, so I'm not the target audience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're fine to great. For end credits material to keep nerds interested they do the job and then some.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
*my* biggest problem with the concept art is that for BOBF at least most of the concept art is way more evocative than what actually got transported to screen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They did mail the attack on the Pikes. That was perfect.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

mutata posted:

Hello, career artist here: It's not "just concept art" when they include high res versions of all of them in the same specific style within the actual show. At that point it is very much production art and is created to be so. I don't really care for the filter effect they're putting on it, but the techniques mentioned are all very common.

What's most likely the process here? Is it probably a bunch of much rougher concept art pieces done for the actual storyboards and production work, and they've taken a few at the end to carry on developing on for the credit sequences?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't like the concept art because it delays the next episode button popping up on D+.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vintersorg posted:

They did mail the attack on the Pikes. That was perfect.
Dear Pyke Syndicate,

Please accept this gift with my sincerest apologies

XOXO Boba

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

*bwaaaaang*

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

ruddiger posted:

Ewoks tear assing through the stars in reappropriated Empire ships decked out Mad Max style.

Stopping at Tatooine for a light lunch.

Boba Fett and friends did not approve. ;)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s weird that by giving the Mandalorian a roll to play in Boba Fett’s story, I now care about Boba Fett despite not caring about him for like 30 years because the shiny helmet nerd that I actually care about is also his ride or die homie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerkface posted:

*my* biggest problem with the concept art is that for BOBF at least most of the concept art is way more evocative than what actually got transported to screen.

Yeah, like the composition and the contrast are all top-notch cinematic stuff and I'm like oh cool, wish it actually looked like that during the scene.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wouldn’t normally really care about that sort of thing except for that Season 1-2 of The Mandalorian were really, really good about exactly that issue, and the end of credits art elevated the show in a way that it fails to do so here, because I find myself ending every episode with “oh, that’s what they were going for” instead of “wow, exactly, they perfectly executed their creative vision”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s weird that by giving the Mandalorian a roll to play in Boba Fett’s story, I now care about Boba Fett despite not caring about him for like 30 years because the shiny helmet nerd that I actually care about is also his ride or die homie.

yeah i always thought fett was cool and stuff but i did actually like his character in this show, i just wish he was actually doing stuff. the show should have been focused fett and his crime politics and poo poo. maybe have fenec be more forceful about "just waste those fuckers" and fett wanting to be more peaceful because he was trying to actually be a good ruler instead of just another jabba. i like his reasoning for doing it but like they never really never do anything with it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I like the implications of this story. In the future when we inevitably revisit Tatooine, it will just be an incidental detail that Boba Fett is Daimyo of Mos Espa, and we can get something about how Mos Espa is a pretty good place now. The audience will know how that came to be and it'll be neat.

I think just kind of casually hearing that Boba Fett rules a portion of Tattoine would be really sinister given what we knew of Boba Fett, if we hadn't gotten this show to explain the bond he forged with the Tuskens and how it changed him. Now we can feel good about it. Boba Fett is cool and it's cool that he's a crime lord now.

I was frustrated with the show for just killing off all of Boba Fett's Tusken family, because I really like them, even though the particular plot was about an outsider teaching the natives how to be natives even better. That's usually a vaguely racist tired trope, and killing off whole groups to motivate the main character is pretty lovely, especially when they're coded as native. However, I think the show then took things in an interesting direction. Boba Fett took what he learned from the Tuskens with him. He didn't go off to be the outsider savior of the Tuskens, instead he internalized the Tusken values of community and brought those with him. When he had the opportunity to rule, he took it, but not for the sake of power, rather for the sake of community.

That whole plot works really well on a thematic level.

So you have this bounty hunter who's kind of an idiot, but has a newfound sense of what the world should be like, and he bumbles around making friends and then standing up for them.

Pretty good, overall. Decent use of Boba Fett. "Silent badass in cool armor" is kind of Din's brand now, so they needed to do something else with Boba, and I think they found something satisfying. It's not going to be as viscerally satisfying as "silent badass in cool armor," but overall a good idea executed well enough.

I like getting to know a particular place and seeing it evolve, in contrast to having a bunch of amazing people and locations flash by in the background as so many evocative images. I like all those images and I'll be glad to get back to the Mandalorian's adventures, but it's nice to settle down and get to know a place better. In Star Wars, the only planet you could do that with is going to be Tatooine, and Boba Fett is as good a character as any to tell a story of Tatooine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why would Tatooine be the only place you could stick around?

Star Wars is like 85% Tatooine by volume. It's a big galaxy. Go somewhere else.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LividLiquid posted:

Why would Tatooine be the only place you could stick around?

Star Wars is like 85% Tatooine by volume. It's a big galaxy. Go somewhere else.

Everyone knows Vader hates sand

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tattooine is a cool location. I don't get the complaints about it being overused. It's on the edge of the rest of civilization just barely out of the eyes of whoever is in power, a good location for stories.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Star Wars is always going to be a space western and therefore poo poo is going to take place on desert planets. I love how much the Mandoverse has expanded on the people, places, and culture of Tattoine, even going back to season 1 of Mandolorian.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tatooine is Star Wars, it has all of the most memorable Star Wars stuff. Jawas, Tuskens, Cantinas, it's the home planet of both the hero and villian, along with old Ben Kenobi. Jabbas palace owns, the sarlacc owns. Totally understandable that they keep returning to it rather than boring rear end ice/forest/city planet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I mean hell, we finally got to see a giant rear end menacing Krayt Dragon and the Jawas strapped his loving skull on top of their sandcrawler as a warning to other Krayt dragons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tattooine naturally has the most developed society and culture in Star Wars just because it's used so much. I don't mind it being used, it just doesn't have much visual variety.

Personally I want to see more Coruscant both pre and post Empire. It's the closest we ever get to a modern metropolitan city in Star Wars.

stev fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 18, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Have we actually seen Coruscant post-empire at all in the new stuff?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stev posted:

Tattooine naturally has the most developed society and culture in Star Wars just because it's used so much. I don't mind it being used, it just doesn't have much visual variety.

Personally I want to see more Coruscant both pre and post Empire. It's the closest we ever get to a modern metropolitan city in Star Wars.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that Ring, myself. There's a whole galaxy of places to explore, and Tatooine is (relatively speaking) the least interesting part of it. Even in ANH Luke says as much, it's the farthest place from anywhere of interest and the only thing people do there of note is leave it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

skasion posted:

Have we actually seen Coruscant post-empire at all in the new stuff?

No, wich is weird because from what I read, Hosnian Prime was created specifically so they could save Coruscant from being blown up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that Ring, myself. There's a whole galaxy of places to explore, and Tatooine is (relatively speaking) the least interesting part of it. Even in ANH Luke says as much, it's the farthest place from anywhere of interest and the only thing people do there of note is leave it.
That's because Luke is a whiney pissbaby who doesn't have any concept of what "excitement and adventure" actually means in reality and is never thinking about how good he has it. Yoda calls him out on that specifically in two separate movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Luke was whining, but he was also right and this show even proves it. The entire galaxy has changed hands and his old loser buddies from Tosche station are still stuck there

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tatooine has loads of stuff to do. Luke could have joined a Krayt dragon hunt, taken over a crime syndicate or become a pod racer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or gotten into barfights with his loser friends and the biker gang giving them poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skasion posted:

Luke was whining, but he was also right and this show even proves it. The entire galaxy has changed hands and his old loser buddies from Tosche station are still stuck there

Biggs was even like "pfff the Empire probably wouldn't even defend the place."

And he was out there committing space atrocities for the Empire, so he probably had a good idea of what the Empire considered worth fighting over.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
space is sand

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Star Wars isn’t much about the awe and wonder if science fiction.
It’s a setting to tell western and adventure stories that would work completely independent of being a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I also think that desert planet is an easier lift because you don't have to make exotic flora and a lot of it.

And once you get a desert planet, you might as well make it Tatooine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sash! posted:

Biggs was even like "pfff the Empire probably wouldn't even defend the place."

And he was out there committing space atrocities for the Empire, so he probably had a good idea of what the Empire considered worth fighting over.

People willingly joined the Empire because it was a better prospect than Tatooine. The place sucks that badly.

Remember the PR spin for the Empire is mostly that it's a good society. The average citizen only ran into the darker aspects if you either weren't human or were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Running off to be an Officer or Pilot looks like a good career on paper if you haven't seen the real side of the Empire.

Also Biggs never actually served, he and a bunch of other pilots stole a transport and defected in basic training iirc.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm always happy to see a bantha.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Since we got analogs for Clint Eastwood and Liev van Cleef, can we get a Jack Palence?

Also with Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing playing such prominent roles, can we get Vincient Price as well (even if we got to deep fake him)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sash! posted:

And once you get a desert planet, you might as well make it Tatooine.

or Jakku. or Jedha. or