Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is he gunna do like a Michael Moore and stand outside the newegg hq with a megaphone demanding the CEO come down and RMA his graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Warehouse automation is so extensive now that you'd think open box products could be listed with high res photos of the actual product

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Thanks Ants posted:

Warehouse automation is so extensive now that you'd think open box products could be listed with high res photos of the actual product

Amazon at least, just bins stuff together by sku, resulting in fakes being sold as legit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GN in California begins, also they were going there anyway for fan tester training so the Newegg stuff just got added as an extra stop. Steve didn't book a flight for the whole crew just to go point a camera at Newegg HQ. Also apparently Newegg have already said they'll take an on camera meeting and it was arranged beforehand so it wasn't going to be an ambush.

Also Steve gets interrupted by Newegg's dastardly goose patrol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wECJJveifw

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

No real update from GN yet, but lol

https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1493618696799277056?s=21

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tech Jesus earning his name yet again

https://reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/svcaaq/ran_into_gamersnexus_story_in_comments/

Some random dude in microcenter asked for a pic with Steve. Steve spends 2 hours helping him pick out his build, then pays for it.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Steve out there leaving one pair of footprints in the wasted silicon

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Holy poo poo they did it

https://twitter.com/Newegg/status/1494787583926099968

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1494793973709381653

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

goddamn

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve wins.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Voxx posted:

Steve out there leaving one pair of footprints in the wasted silicon

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Isn't this what they announced a few days ago? Which doesn't address the core issue of people having trouble returning legitimate items, whether new or open box?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Isn't this what they announced a few days ago? Which doesn't address the core issue of people having trouble returning legitimate items, whether new or open box?

No, the dedicated return escalation team is new, and if done correctly shouldsolve the majority of problems.

If anyone with a brain would have looked at Steve’s RMA it would have been reversed immediately. This would have prevented the situation from being so catastrophic.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I can't wait to see their video on the meeting. And then we'll have to see if they continue to make improvements, and actually keep them, or if they end up falling back into old habits. I was talking to a friend of mine that works on rockets, and they told me that they ended up getting banned from ordering from Newegg due to counterfeit parts. So we'll see if they reevaluate all their internal processes, or just the RMA processes.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHSbIS2lLs

Watched the first minute of the WAN show and I am going to assume that Dr. Ian Cutress is going to LTT based on their little 'depends on where he's going, maybe burger king?' comment.

Edit: Confirmed at the end of the show

Double edit: Ok I may have misunderstood it but I still think Luke accidentally confirmed it.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 19, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm watching the WAN Show and Luke needed to install an ad blocker to read an article (because the ads were literally covering the entire page) and Linus was visibly consternated and reminded him it's company policy that ad blockers are disallowed on company computers :nallears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Don't want Luke pirating those articles.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm watching the WAN Show and Luke needed to install an ad blocker to read an article (because the ads were literally covering the entire page) and Linus was visibly consternated and reminded him it's company policy that ad blockers are disallowed on company computers :nallears:

I caught that too... kinda awkward considering they're wearing Adblock shirts.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

linus always doing the double/triple cross… but against himself?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus was visibly consternated and reminded him it's company policy that ad blockers are disallowed on company computers :nallears:

lmao how do they anything done, the internet without adblock is a loving nightmare. What a dumb micromanagement policy.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
:ssh: It's because they're a media company that gets ~75% of their revenue from ads and it would be "hypocritical" for them to support ad blocking (even though their employees would be a freaking molecule of water in a bucket).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

didn't they also use the home version of OCCT until they were called out recently?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And linus also advocates for never paying microsoft for a windows key, but wanting a readable internet is piracy and piracy is inherently unethical according to him. He's not the most consistent take-haver around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And linus also advocates for never paying microsoft for a windows key.

Why do people keep repeating this

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 19, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah doesn't Micro$oft get money from the OEM keys

Just less?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus outed himself as a complete shitter to me on a previous WAN show when he said he'd be personally offended if his employees unionized because he treats them so well. Good treatment and worker rights are OK to him as long as he gets to arbitrate and feel good about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

:ssh: It's because they're a media company that gets ~75% of their revenue from ads and it would be "hypocritical" for them to support ad blocking (even though their employees would be a freaking molecule of water in a bucket).

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Linus outed himself as a complete shitter to me on a previous WAN show when he said he'd be personally offended if his employees unionized because he treats them so well. Good treatment and worker rights are OK to him as long as he gets to arbitrate and feel good about it.
That's a big warning sign right there, as in 30 foot high flashing neon.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1431744137858981892

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1431746397674491910

Not to misrepresent Linus completely, he's obviously on the side of fair wages, good working conditions etc. Yet it tells me of some weird pettiness to take unionization personally instead of an extension to him working to permanently make his workers and the whole tech industry into a fairer place for all. He constantly talks about making LMG independent of him and/or Yvonne anyway so unions would probably make sense in the long run.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'd recently warmed to the guy as he seemed to have calmed down and become actually watchable. Back on the poo poo list prick

I'd love to hear his opinion on sponsorblock. I guess it won't get mentioned as it will increase it's profile. I can imagine though.
The time line on their videos is hilarious. Whoever edits all the skips really makes an effort, usually even the tiny ltt store mentioned get black holed.

I highly recommend sponsorblock. I'd got used to it, and recently watched a load of YouTube on a pc that didn't have it installed and it was loving terrible.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 19, 2022

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Aaaaand, Steve's Newegg video is out! Haven't watched it yet, clocks in at over an hour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1R4wbuXFII&t=29s

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Gonna try and watch soon, gotta be good.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

3/4 of the dudes in this meeting haven't worked at Newegg for more than a year, and 20 minutes in they've just been blowing smoke and corpo-speak.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
D'oh...I'll probably have to watch tomorrow, but I'm gonna be riding the train so yay for entertainment

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

CBD Corndog posted:

3/4 of the dudes in this meeting haven't worked at Newegg for more than a year, and 20 minutes in they've just been blowing smoke and corpo-speak.

That stuck out with me too. Either there’s a high attrition rate for the executives and higher ups, or they recently cleaned house to get rid of the bad folks. (Or ex-execs got fed up with the bs going on and jumped ship.)

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lol at first I interpreted "haven't worked at Newegg for more than a year" as meaning they stopped working for Newegg a year ago and got confused wondering why they'd be at this meeting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

Huh? Two of them were under six months while the other two are 3 years and 19 years. I imagine that executive level companies have a hard time keeping people in certain roles for long periods, especially customer related ones.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's strangely reassuring to know that the meetings I attend and conduct aren't hugely different from what I heard on that video

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Good on Steve for doing as well as he did under the circumstances. He (rightly) saw some of the corporate BS they were trying to do in the meeting. All I saw was an ongoing attempt at damage control. They might make a few immediate changes, but so long as the incentives for front-line employees are screwed up (KPIs based on closing calls, avoiding revenue loss, etc) they’re not going to get much better. Management can always point to the grunts and say “well, that’s where the failure occurred.”

I don’t know why it’s so hard for Newegg. Micro Center is right there. Just copy what they do!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

But then they'd make slightly less money, and that is the greatest crime possible.

The highlight imo was back at the start with Newegg trying to cancel the recording part of the meeting until they realized that Steve would publicly call them out for doing that and then un-changed their minds. That alone makes anything else they say worthy of doubt in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

But then they'd make slightly less money, and that is the greatest crime possible.

The highlight imo was back at the start with Newegg trying to cancel the recording part of the meeting until they realized that Steve would publicly call them out for doing that and then un-changed their minds. That alone makes anything else they say worthy of doubt in and of itself.

To me that's pretty standard corpo damage control. Someone said something, a person at a higher level contradicted them and told them to say this, but since Steve has receipts and is willing to post them he can make them look really bad in the public eye for doing it. So they have to back down.

That said, Newegg could have REALLY pulled out all the stops and fired up a PR stunt here if they wanted to. Everything inside those doors can be extremely tightly controlled if Newegg wants. I suspect they're extremely paranoid of someone going off-script right now though. It would be trivial to let Steve film all the way to the conference room. Post-it notes covering names and a "keep this area clear" directive to employees would do the job.