Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Patrick Stewart

Masterminds crossover?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just hoping for a Blue Oyster Cult song in the soundtrack.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

scraping the absolute bottom of the bronze age barrel

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7v1hIkYH24

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Doctor Strange looks something to be cautiously optimistic about.

But Rings of Power left me real cold for some reason.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Doctor Strange looks something to be cautiously optimistic about.

But Rings of Power left me real cold for some reason.

I agree. I think partly I'm having a hard time finding anything to grab hold of. Like, I think there's a young Galadriel in there? Maybe a young Elrond? And some guys wearing huge antlers on their backs for...reasons? I mostly don't know what's going on, or why, or why I should care. I'm sure that will come later, but for now, that trailer didn't give me any...thing to say, "Yup, that right there, THAT's what I'm here for."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I complained about it in the book thread but nobody else in there seemed to mind. I can't figure out who that trailer was for, exactly. It felt like a random grabbag of shots that didn't quite evoke "Hey remember how great Lord of the Rings was? We're doing the same thing but more!" that I think they were going for. Most importantly, it needed a "wow" moment to end on a bang but didn't have one.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah it still does not feel like they know what they want to do with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

Mostly a drat good summation. However, one thing you didn't mention, but I feel like should be mentioned, is that the reason they're all at the mansion is because a bunch of super villains have all gathered there for a dino auction. And the biggest prize being auctioned off is a new super dino who is intended to be used as an assassination dino.

okay, i definitely saw JW2 in the theater and i literally and i do mean literally don't remember any of this haha

the trailer for the new one is doing that thing again where it's threatening to be a movie that is packed with nonstop crazy dinosaur action. maybe this time they didn't put literally all the good poo poo in the trailer lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I complained about it in the book thread but nobody else in there seemed to mind. I can't figure out who that trailer was for, exactly. It felt like a random grabbag of shots that didn't quite evoke "Hey remember how great Lord of the Rings was? We're doing the same thing but more!" that I think they were going for. Most importantly, it needed a "wow" moment to end on a bang but didn't have one.

Who needs story when you've got a brand!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

thrawn527 posted:

I agree. I think partly I'm having a hard time finding anything to grab hold of. Like, I think there's a young Galadriel in there? Maybe a young Elrond? And some guys wearing huge antlers on their backs for...reasons? I mostly don't know what's going on, or why, or why I should care. I'm sure that will come later, but for now, that trailer didn't give me any...thing to say, "Yup, that right there, THAT's what I'm here for."

Yeah these two posts seem to sum it up real well. I remember doing an all-nighter to grab some tickets for Return of the King, and there was really nothing that there that made me remember the original trilogy. Trailer really should've ended on a proper moneyshot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

"Before the Ring"

*show is called The Rings Of Power*

I am very smart

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How much of this LOTR series is original? Or is it all from the Simil--... the Simuliu--... the extra stuff Tolkien wrote?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In terms of the world being presented and the overarching narrative, it's more or less leaning on what Tolkien laid out—though they're compressing events that took place over thousands of years into likely a few hundred. When it comes to the story, however, Tolkien didn't write this material as a traditional fiction narrative, but instead more like a high-level history textbook. So in order to adapt it into a proper show, they're making up a lot of new characters and story details and filling in massive gaps on how the events played out from a dramatic standpoint.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

davidspackage posted:

"Before the Ring"

*show is called The Rings Of Power*

I am very smart

Well, yeah, Sauron made a whole bunch of rings which he gave to the Elves, Dwarves, Men, etc. It’s just that the humans were the only ones dumb enough to fall for his trick.

Lobok posted:

How much of this LOTR series is original? Or is it all from the Simil--... the Simuliu--... the extra stuff Tolkien wrote?

The Silmarillion

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That doesnt look very good but holy poo poo at the amount of white racists freaking out in the comments

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where were these people when The Witcher had a black elf who looked completely awesome by the way

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That doesnt look very good but holy poo poo at the amount of white racists freaking out in the comments

God dammit. I want to dislike it for legit reasons. gently caress out of here, racists, with this bullshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

God dammit. I want to dislike it for legit reasons. gently caress out of here, racists, with this bullshit.

Media corporations must really enjoy the reactionary culture war because it positions some people to feel like they have to consume product to oppose the nazis. How can I ridicule a bad tv show if nazis also dislike it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I raid that this is Second Age only, so Galadriel would already be very old, having survived the entire First Age.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Media corporations must really enjoy the reactionary culture war because it positions some people to feel like they have to consume product to oppose the nazis. How can I ridicule a bad tv show if nazis also dislike it?

media love playing the red-brown alliance card

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

Who needs story when you've got a brand!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Please know that my post was meant as a joke. I will hate the show if it sucks, even if racists hate it for dumb reasons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

Where were these people when The Witcher had a black elf who looked completely awesome by the way

elves in the witcher represent displaced indigenous populations (not all of them though, the wild hunt are colonizers)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Says the guy with the MCU Funko Pop avatar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well... I think LOTR the show looks fun. Or at least I'm interested. I'll wait for a full trailer to try to make any sense of it, but it's pretty and the hobbit/human hand shot at the end was nice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Well... I think LOTR the show looks fun. Or at least I'm interested. I'll wait for a full trailer to try to make any sense of it, but it's pretty and the hobbit/human hand shot at the end was nice.

Is that what that was? I just saw it as “small hand/big hand”, and I don’t know how they thought anyone would see it as anything but that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

Is that what that was? I just saw it as “small hand/big hand”, and I don’t know how they thought anyone would see it as anything but that.

Because it's LOTR Jesus Christ don't be so obtuse.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 15, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Says the guy with the MCU Funko Pop avatar.

doing my part to gently caress up the system from the inside. plz select the next piece of marvel trash you'd like me to besmirch

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

doing my part to gently caress up the system from the inside. plz select the next piece of marvel trash you'd like me to besmirch

I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Disney arrives all the same.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It certainly seems like they've arrived at the circle of poo poo!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah. Everybody loves to ridicule "buying Chik Fil-A to own the libs" right wing idiocy yet don't see the irony in their own passive consumption habits being marketed like it's some grand political statement.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK1CuXG7GMQ

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

This trailer is a wild ride. Now anticipating a Chip 'n Dale revival movie, which I was not expecting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is wild in a good way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ready ranger 1. sure. why not

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Soon as I heard it was Akiva/Samberg/Mulaney I was totally on board, and I have zero nostalgia for the original.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaPdGDBcY5A

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lol this looks worse than Who Framed Rogger Rabbit.

edit: obviously talking about Windfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The CGI gag toward the end got me, they nailed that lovely uncanny valley Zemeckis look 100%. This looks like a lot of fun.