Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Let's Play: Final Fantasy VII: New Threat

Final Fantasy VII: New Threat is a mod of Final Fantasy VII. You can tell it's a mod and not another entry into the expanded universe because it doesn't have a word starting with C in the subtitle.

It's a comprehensive gameplay overhaul of FF7, including adjustments to formulas, items, and abilities, as well as adding in various options to help differentiate the otherwise mostly interchangable (in a gameplay sense) cast of the game.

So what are you here for, then?

I'm gonna play the game, what else?

Good point!

This will be a quasi-blind screenshot LP of the mod. It's not completely blind because I've read some of the documentation and such, and more importantly have played a previous version of the mod up to midway through Disc 1.

Fun fact (and take a shot every time I say that): people playing the rerelease versions of FF7 still say "Disc 1/2/3" as useful markers even though there's no disc to switch in. Is this relevant to the previous statement? No, but if you're not familiar with my style from the Celdia's Complete Patch LP, then this serves as more than fair warning.

Speaking of CCP, is-

no it's not dead. I just felt the creative drive to work on something else for a bit, which is one of those dumb poo poo things you hear creative people say and go "yeah whatever you say trying to justify yourself" and then you try being a creative person yourself and go "well gently caress now I get how they felt and I wish I wasn't such a jerk to them" and feel bad for the rest of your life.

Anyway, so this is a mostly-blind LP of the mod. New Threat 2.0 and 1.5 have some very dramatic differences between each other, so my prior experience doesn't mean much. This is, however, a mod of Final Fantasy VII aimed at veterans of the vanilla game. The author is expecting familiarity with the vanilla experience, and so will I.

What this means for you

Did I just switch narrative perspectives in this OP? Hell yeah, deal with it.

Spoilers on the vanilla game of Final Fantasy VII are fair game. This is for my sanity more than yours, dear reader. One of the things that second-playthrough+ style LPs can do is reflect on the game's presentation with knowledge of the entire work, since you don't have to worry about spoiling readers. I'm gonna be doing a lot of that, because Final Fantasy VII had a lot to say in 1997 and it still does today. Like Metal Gear Solid 2, it's a work that was applicable then and you didn't realize it, and it's applicable now and you wish it wasn't.

If you're not familiar with the game, but still want to follow along--which like, I have to ask, why?--I recommend you read Elentor's masterclass LP of the original on the LP Archive. You'll not find a better look into many facets of the game than hers, and as a bonus there's an Orange Fluffy Sheep low level run there too if you want to know why someone might want a gameplay mod.

As for New Threat spoilers, keep a lid on it. The short version is: if it hasn't shown up on screen, don't talk about it. No, I don't care that you think it starts great but goes off a cliff come Disc 2, or that you enjoy how they reworked Carry Armor, or how in the previous version of the mod this upcoming boss was much worse than what I'm thinking.

None of that poo poo. Put it a text file and shove it in a time capsule. I don't care if it's just that Ethers aren't buyable until Mideel or that Safer Sephiroth is missing a vertex on his model.

No I don't care if you use spoiler tags go make your own thread.

If it hasn't shown up, don't talk about it. End of story. Violating this will result in my disapproval as well as potentially being eaten by the mods.

I know this all sounds harsh, but I seriously hate that poo poo so I'm gonna be firm here.

So anyway, let's get-

The gently caress is that???

oh fine.

The Final Fantasy 7 PC port is, by all accounts, a pretty bad port. Featuring MIDI versions of the PS1's classic tracks, keyboard only controls, and an architecture that makes running it on anything later than Windows 98 dicey, it's amazing the thing ever sold. Of course, the internet will never let high profile games die, so enterprising people who knew they weren't getting paid enough to do the work did it anyway, and made stuff to bring FF7 up to the standards of modern PC gaming (at least, as they existed in the mid-2000s). That work has since been iterated upon by countless individuals, without whom the PC version of FF7 likely would have been lost to the mists until the Steam rerelease a some years back.

As a bonus, without having to worry about pesky things like "working on a Playstation", people were free to mod the gently caress out of the game, as people do. Rather than the endless parade of nude mods you'd expect, the 7th Heaven mod manager is host to a wide variety of modifications to the graphics, sound, and gameplay.

I have a few of those running. Not many, as you'll note in a second, but some. Everyone knows what the original game looks like, so why not add in a few choice differences. I'm not one for fancy upscaling of models or textures, since my bad eyesight means I won't really notice much of a difference, but I have a pair of fancy UI mods (Enhanced Stock UI an Finishing Touch) as well as a still-in-beta and probably super buggy 60 FPS mod. Rounding out the presentation is the arranged FF7 soundtrack by Dracula9AntiChapel. It's not that I dislike the original compositions: rather I'm just looking for something different to hear.

Lastly, of course, comes the New Threat mod. In short, this isn't so many mods as to make FF7 unrecognizable: just some slight differences for a change of pace (as well as to help differentiate screenshots from vanilla ones).

Table of Contents
Update 1: Opening - Bombing Mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Reserved for like, I dunno. Funny stuff or whatever.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Update 1: Opening - Bombing Mission

New Threat contains two game modes: A, and B.

We'll be doing Game Type A. That means literally nothing about B is relevent hint hint.

Similarly, there's a Hard Mod toggle. I won't be bothering, mostly because I can always turn it on later.

So while this is the (modded) title screen, when do we get to the actual game?

Right about here:

Nope, not quite. Just a frame later...

There we go. FF7 made ludicrous use of this technique: overlaying prerendered FMV scenes on top of their beautifully drawn backgrounds to simulate movement and effects in a 3D space well beyond the capabilities of the system they were running on. Forget trying to look better than the SNES Final Fantasy games: stuff like this made FF7 look better than its contemporaries on the same system. While modern large displays give you a chance to see through the illusion, on an older CRT this may as well have been invisible.

Stuff like this is why the PC port, even today, is as limited as it is. They had to make sure their prerendered videos and their hand-drawn backgrounds lined up exactly. You can't just check a box that says "Support Ultrawide" and be done with it when you're working at that level. That's also the cause of the black bar at the bottom: Square drew their backgrounds at 320x224, and you can't just go and stretch that when the FMVs also need to line up. The PS1 version centered the output, but the PC version just draws from the top of the window (since there's no overscan to account for).

New Threat has slightly changed around the models of some things. Cloud, not being confined to a CRT, no longer has to be bright purple.

And we gain control.

Why the different portraits? Felt like it, to be honest. It came along with another, more substantial, change that we'll get to in a little bit.

The bomb didn't need to be an inventory item, and wasn't in the original. It's a nice touch.

Speaking of nice touches, the base damage for every attack appears to be included in their description. As well, the three basic elemental spells have been differentiated. Fire is the strongest and offers a (presumably stacking) debuff to the target's defenses, while Ice is the cheapest and weakest. Bolt is the middle ground, being neither the strongest nor the cheapest, but instead boasting high accuracy.

Needless to say, I approve. FF7 is one of the games in the series where attempting to have the full trinity of classic Black Magic is, at best, rather inconvenient. Giving individual merit to all three helps abate the sting of carrying around weakness hitting options.

Cloud's Buster Sword now boasts a 15% chance to crit, which is really nice. The Bronze Bangle, meanwhile, has an extra two Materia slots but is otherwise unremarkable.

And here we see Braver has gotten a bonus effect. If you're trying to quantify the damage base numbers, here's a start: your standard Attack command is a base of 16. In other words, Braver is 3.25x the damage of a normal attack, which is pretty drat good!

Of course, if you really want to understand, you'd have to dig into the formulas. And so we shall...

...not be doing that. Sorry, but unlike Final Fantasy Tactics the formulae used in FF7 are far more unintuitive. I'm not going to go into how all the calculations shake out unless I'm actually doing them, and FF7 doesn't do nice simple "stat times stat times one modifier".

I can, though, lay down a few principles that I'll be keeping in mind. The damage formula in FF7 works by multiplying your Attack power and Level, and then multiplying the result by a fraction based on your defense. As far as the game's concerned, your character's Strength and your weapon's Attack are one and the same: they're just summed together. The same goes for Magic/Magic Attack, Vitality/Defense, and Spirit/Magic Defense. That last one is actually fixing a bug in vanilla: your armor's Magic Defense never got added on.

In the damage formula, Level and Attack are treated as almost equivalent. Since your stats tend to rise at a rate of very roughly one per level (varying to a bit less or more depending on how much that character excels in that stat), we can make the following approximation:

Every two points of Attack is worth going up one Level. The same applies for Magic, so we can understand boosts to the offensive stats in that lens. That won't tell us how much damage we'll go up from a stat boost, but it will tell us that an item giving +20 Strength is basically the same for our damage output as going and grinding out ten levels.

As for Defense and Magic Defense, these just get divided by 512 to produce the amount of damage reduction. In other words, every one point of (Magic) Defense is 1/512 less damage taken. More intuitively, five points is just under 1% less damage taken, additively. This means that small increases in defensive stats won't mean much, but large ones will have an impact.

If you were always wondering why HP Plus Materia always seemed to do so much more for your durability than upgrading armor, this is why.

Finally, there's two more stats to consider. Dexterity influences a bunch of stuff: accuracy, evade rate, character speed, and battle speed. Dexterity affects the first two at a 1:4 ratio: every four points of Dexterity is +1%, additive, physical accuracy and evade, and has a minor effect on the last two. Luck, meanwhile has a 1:4 ratio with Lucky Hit and Lucky Dodge: every four points of luck is 1% more chance to do a critical hit or automatically dodge an attack.

Yeah, that's a lot, I know. It'll be important, though, when I talk for two paragraphs about what I think of this or that piece of gear. You can't just be reading this for the jokes, I'm not that funny.

Anyway this Potion here is known as the "Quantum Potion". As an accident of coding, both of the knocked out guards can be examined for a Potion, but they both check and set the same flag. In other words, two places to pick up the same item.

New Threat has fixed this awful bug from the vanilla game!

Sort of.

Walking towards the exit gets us our first battle.

Here, we can see the effect of the UI mods I was mentioning: by making the windows translucent and smaller, we recover the bottom 25% of the battlefield to see stuff with. You can also see the effect of the portrait mod I referred to: instead of the character's name, we just have a little icon for them.

You might not like it, and hey maybe I'll change my mind on it. But for now it's a neat change of pace. Additionally, you'll see the game taking up the whole window again. Unlike the prerendered backgrounds or FMVs, the battle scenes are 3D spaces that use a camera to project one or more 2D images onto the screen. That's how all sorts of games can have widescreen or ultrawide hacks even though their age says they shouldn't support it, because the screen size is just defining the size of the viewport as opposed to directly mapping game position to screen position.

Game development is a fascinating beast to even just dip your toes in. Even the shittiest games with the lowest budget staff still had to have some pretty smart people to make all this stuff work. We tend to focus on what goes wrong with development as opposed to right, but it's worth noting that getting even 20% of a game working right is an amazing accomplishment for a development team; doubly so when we're talking an older console game.

Here we can witness an issue with the 60 FPS mod: Cloud has barely started the Braver animation but the MP has already taken the damage.

I think it's hilarious, but it did bother me enough that I spent an hour digging into why it was happening and fixing a problem in my configuration. Not before the first save point, though.

Here we have the first really major change by New Threat. In addition to their Limit Breaks, stats, and weapons, all characters now have an Innate ability to take advantage of.

Cloud's is triggered by using Defend. When used, attacks may be countered with one of the listed effects. This obviously makes for an excellent combo with the Cover materia, but in general gives an opportunity to reduce damage by a bit while still attacking.

I say "a bit" because the New Threat documentation mentioned that the damage penalty against a Defending target has been changed from 50% to 33%, both to reduce spikey variance in physical damage and also to compensate for it being a trigger for multiple Innate abilities.

We also get the Materia menu early. Yay!

I'm sticking with vanilla names for this. While it would be funny to name everyone DickButt and Sephiroth, it actually wouldn't so no.

And no you're not clever for suggesting I name Red XIII Nanaki. It's not even too funny outside of like five dialogue boxes.

I am absolutely not qualified to speak on whether or not Barret is a positive example of representation in this game or games in general. I will say that he's an awesome and well-written character with both believable strengths and flaws, and that I think this game would be much poorer without him.

New Threat changes some bits of dialogue around. Not many, and (to my knowledge) not in a way that doesn't fit with the original game, but usually just for variety's or clarification's sake.

If you tell me

quote:

If you push the Directional button while pushing the [CANCEL] button to run. (earlier marked X)

is a well written sentence, you're a liar and should feel bad.

Despite its age, FF7 very clearly had people who thought about a 3D environment and how to present it for maximum effect.

Another script change. I won't point them all out because I don't have the full game script memorized, but I'll try to call out what I see as filler between talking about gameplay stuff. Here, we can see Barret not taking it badly when Cloud says "idc dude can we skip to the part where we blow up a high security power plant?"

Barret's innate specifically triggers off of physical attacks. It's kind of weird, because Final Fantasy boss fights are known for throwing out more dramatic spells than physicals, but these bonuses aren't worth too much in brisker random encounters. We'll have to see what New Threat does for boss fights.

Admit it, you didn't know this was here.

When I was younger I always thought she meant the big yellow circle, not the up/down arrows. You'd think that this is obvious now with a larger and sharper screen to look at, but instead I just still wonder:

what the hell is that yellow circle?

Reality adds enough commentary to this scene; I shall not distract.

The hell is this? Well, it turns out Barret's machine gun is automatically multitarget, and can be adjusted to single target with R1/L1 like All-paired Magic Materia.

And I think that's pretty cool.

The screenshot doesn't really show it, but Barret's recoiling is well after the enemy was killed.

Not pictured: me walking the screen transition here about eight times in a row because I insist on using an analog stick for a game not designed for it.

You think that's bad, wait till you see how I play Super Metroid.

Anyway, this is the first save point of the game. We touch it, hit menu, hit up, hit confirm-

NO NO NO

drat you muscle memory! That's gonna get me way too many times.

You probably saw the Extended Menu message there. Most of it is whatever: the last two options I'm not using and the first is hidden. The second is a nice change of pace, though.

An hour of troubleshooting later, the 60 FPS mod is now working properly, and I take a look at Barret's weapon. As I mentioned earlier, it targets all. Interestingly enough, it also has four more Materia slots than vanilla, which would seem to run counter to Barret's typical role as physical bruiser and tank, but we'll get to that later.

Like in vanilla, we pick up a Restore materia before planting the bomb. Unlike vanilla, we can actually make use of it now. A close look reveals that there are many differences.

For one, the Materia is now Holy elemental. That wasn't the case before; in vanilla only the Alexander materia was Holy elemental, and it was the only Holy attack available to the player, and I couldn't tell you offhand what enemies were vulnerable to the element. So, you know, this indicates that maybe Holy will play a part?

Nah, who'd expect Holy to play a part in Final Fantasy VII? If you didn't laugh that's a joke about vanilla I told you you'd want to know that first.

Vanilla Restore also gave -1% Max HP, +1% Max MP, -1 Strength, and +1 Magic. Clearly, the stats are different here: they're both stronger and all positive. Looking at the other Materia is similarly educational: Fire carries the same stats as Restore, while Ice and Lightning share a +3 Magic/+2 Magic Defense/+2% Max MP spread.

The most fascinating one is All. In vanilla it had no stat effects. Here, All is responsible for +5 Magic, +10 Magic Defense, -12 Dexterity (!) and -4% Max HP.

In other words, if you want to be fancy and multitarget stuff, it's gonna cost you.

Anyway, let's go set us up a bomb.

yeah that's right I still think that's funny. what are you gonna do about it?

As normal, we trigger a boss fight.

Less normal is that the countdown starts immediately.

wait what?

Yep!

Meet our Guard Scorpion replacement, X-ATM Scorpion. I'm sure it sharing a name with a boss from Final Fantasy VIII is coincidence.

The fight begins mostly the same as vanilla.

Though this was the point that I realized Barret came with a Cover materia and I just never looked.

Then we get the well known sequence.

New Threat kindly fixes the translation goof from the original.

There's on slight difference.

Barret says what we're all thinking. :black101:

Unfortunately, I had an attack queued up already.

So that hurt, and Scorpion unleashes a new move: W-Rifle, a moderately damaging attack on all party mmembers.

Barret unleashes an old one.

A good hit, but not enough.

Yet. Cloud fixes the Tail Laser damage with my only shot of Cure-All.

Scorpion blasts out another W-Rifle, and you can see where this is going.

Cloud readies Braver.

But in the middle of me pressing the button Barret does a normal attack and takes out the tail. Which is good, because I'd forgotten to unset the All effect so we were eating another Tail Laser otherwise.

We still hit the Braver. Also, take a look at Cloud's MP. Cure costs 10 instead of 5, and this early on you can really feel it.

Once the tail's dead, Scorpion shows off a new move: Shock. This does a significant (140 ish) amount of damage to one target, but the strategy doesn't change: Barret shoots, Cloud uses Bolt.

Scorpion drops a pair of Titan Bangles instead of the normal Assault Gun.

The Titan Bangle is no longer a strict defense upgrade, instead boasting a boost to Strength at the cost of Materia slots and Defense. I equip both Cloud and Barret with one: this early on, two defense less is literally a rounding error but ten extra Strength could result in one-hit kills that weren't otherwise possible.

It's very possible to take long enough on the Scorpion fight that you can't escape in time, and so New Threat has removed the save point to prevent you from soft-locking yourself.

This is the spot that got young Rosalie stuck for like a year. Look, it was my first RPG and I was seven!

Remember how I mentioned X-ATM Scorpion's name was partly from FF8?

Yeah. He's back!

Scorpion attempts to use Search Scope, but the hardware is damaged.

We blew the tail up, so of course attempting to hit us with it won't work.

Which would be funny except the timer is ticking down!

Also it's still funny.

Some of the enemies from earlier dropped Grenades, so I had Barret spam them.

Also, you might have noticed Jessie: she's helping out here, shooting a machine gun or throwing a grenade from time to time. It's a nice touch.

Scorpion's Shock backfires and hits itself, which ends the battle.

It drops a Mythril Armlet, which is weaker in defenses than even the Titan Bangle, but comes with a +10 to Magic and better Magic Defense than either the Bronze or Titan Bangles.

I stick with the Titan Bangle for now. Cloud has 4 MP left.

These things have a basic attack animation that takes. So. Long. It's especially bad if you're using the Fixed camera instead of the dynamic one, as instead of the dramatic camera pan lining up the enemy and the target, you instead just watch as it slowly unfolds to shoot a laser.

Still, we're home free.

Well, almost.

Did you think we were gonna get jumped by the Scorpion one more time before we left? I did.

The fire disappears for a bit as Cloud action rolls into Sector 8. Not sure if that's a vanilla bug or just on the PC version or whatever. I just find it funny.

We get a free heal upon entering Sector 8, and I take the opportunity to shuffle Cloud's materia around. I set him up with Ice-All, since it's the cheapest and we don't have Barret to hit multiple things.

I mean, we could not fight these guys, but I don't hate fun.

Same for these ones.

Again, no big threat.

Same for this, as well.

Did you know the back attack penalty in FF7 is pretty high? It's usually about double damage, but some attacks can have different multipliers.

You can probably guess what's gonna happen.

Emergency potion time!

I don't think this is specifically because I equipped an All Materia I didn't end up using but took a massive Dexterity penalty anyway for no gain, but it might be. Actually pretty likely, all told. Either way...

Well, that sucks.

When was the last time I saved anyway?

Next time, on Final Fantasy VII: New Threat

gently caress!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

is a well written sentence, you're a liar and should feel bad.

The Illusionary Crimes of Rosalie.

glad to see more stuff, even if it isn't Riovanes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

good start

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

The Illusionary Crimes of Rosalie.

glad to see more stuff, even if it isn't Riovanes.

Plot twist: Wiegraf has already died of old age. We no longer need to even go to Riovanes anymore.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh, interesting. FFI hack ends and FFVII hack begins. I'm definitely interested to see where this goes.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

nine-gear crow posted:

Plot twist: Wiegraf has already died of old age. We no longer need to even go to Riovanes anymore.

This might be the case if he didn't have an easy source of immortality available...

Anyway, this mod looks really cool so far. I kind of wish the Innate Abilities brought the characters in line with the Jobs from other FF games, though. Like, shouldn't Tifa be the one who can counterattack?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rosalie_A posted:

...on an older CRT this may as well have been invisible.

It wasn't seamless but I'm sure it looks worse now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

nine-gear crow posted:

Did the OP do a FFT LP before this? would be interested in reading

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh sick, a new Rosalie LP. Haven't heard anything about this other than being a rebalance, but it looks interesting. Might have to give it a try myself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Huh, I wouldn't even have figured that FF7's engine could handle non-party NPC helpers like what they did with Jesse there, I don't recall anything like that happening in the original game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tithin posted:

Did the OP do a FFT LP before this? would be interested in reading

Check it out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hah! I was reading it but stopped because real life got in the way. I'm glad it's still going.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, I wouldn't even have figured that FF7's engine could handle non-party NPC helpers like what they did with Jesse there, I don't recall anything like that happening in the original game.

My guess is that she's implemented as a non targetable enemy. Hell I don't even know on the non targetable part because who's going to check with a timer ticking down?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Did this version come out before or after FF7R and Jessie became everyone's sweetheart? Just curious to know if that had much effect on her having even a slightly boosted role here

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Did this version come out before or after FF7R and Jessie became everyone's sweetheart? Just curious to know if that had much effect on her having even a slightly boosted role here

The qhimm thread for it was made way back in 2014, so it came out just a few months after the original PS4. No idea if she was there from the start or was added in later on.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember when I first played it when it came out that I never really parsed Jessie as a Thirst Elemental. I just interpreted her as a teen boy or something that was some sort of explosives guru who was hero worshiping Cloud. I just parsed stuff like the wire frame sub display as "HEY LOOK AT THIS COOL rear end poo poo!" not "Come over here so you get extremely close to me while we watch this 8" display."

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Getting in on the ground floor.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
What version of the mod is this? I started playing this a few weeks ago but it looks quite a bit different from mine. I have a graphics mod for battle models, but this seems like a bigger difference than I would have thought.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Sephiroth during the big flashback in Kalm was AI-controlled.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Wait, it's FFVII content but there's well-done new stuff to discover? And FF universe references? So down for this.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

whitehelm posted:

Sephiroth during the big flashback in Kalm was AI-controlled.

He was a party member in it, though.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Played through most of the Type B playthrough in this recently, it was good fun.

Definitely one of the best big mods for an RPG I've seen.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jade Rider posted:

He was a party member in it, though.

Jessie could well be one under the hood, with some UI fuckery to hide her status.
As I am not a programmer I have no idea how hard hiding a party member from the UI is, but it's gotta be easier than implementing AI guests from scratch.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Huh, nice. As someone that was always bonker'ishly driven by FF7, is the mod actually coherent/good at explaining itself for someone not really fluent with mechanics? And it appropriate to ask where it can be downloaded? I have base FF7 on Steam.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There are lots of highlights both in the mod and the commentary, but ngl this made me laugh.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

wedgekree posted:

Huh, nice. As someone that was always bonker'ishly driven by FF7, is the mod actually coherent/good at explaining itself for someone not really fluent with mechanics? And it appropriate to ask where it can be downloaded? I have base FF7 on Steam.

In my experience the mod explains itself quite well, and isn't hard to install with the 7th Heaven mod manager.
Definitely makes the game more challenging as well.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Cyflan posted:

In my experience the mod explains itself quite well, and isn't hard to install with the 7th Heaven mod manager.
Definitely makes the game more challenging as well.
"Isn't hard" is a massive understatement - the 7th Heaven mod manager is a blessing from heaven with how simple and easy it makes modding FF7. After a little bit of initial finagling to get it set up and working it basically opens up a catalog of every FF7 mod worth installing and automatically downloads and installs whatever ones you want.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cool! Do you need a copy of base game FF7 on Steam (or other) to get it working or there an explanation for how to get it setup? I just ask having not touched it on PC in ages and wondering if this is enough to get me to try it again!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It definitely works on Steam. I'm pretty sure it even works on the original pc ff7. I did it the hard way (moving files around manually.) It's really easy and worked fine. The hardest part was finding the game's saves and where the game was installed.

I'm excited to see what's changed between this and whenever it was that I played this - I think it was when the video lp was going on a few years ago.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it should work fine on the original PC release too, though I think that requires a bit more setup to copy video files from the discs.
Steam version definitely works though.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Unless the ten dollars or so is going to make or break your budget and you also have twenty-five year old CDs lying around, just grab the Steam version and the 7th Heaven mod manager and go to town.

Also, fear not, more will come. I've been building a backlog getting distracted by Pokemon Legends Arceus, but I think I'm going to enjoy doing more of this, once I deal with some technical issues.

Unrelated, if anyone has gif making tips/processes/something, that uhh may help speed up the update pace. Asking for a friend.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I understand people are busy, and LPs are sometimes abandoned due to a myriad of reasons. So this is the opposite of me asking "when's next update" - I just want to say that I'm grateful for your first update, it brought attention back to this mod, your writing is very good and it is very insightful to read the differences between the mod and the original. Thank you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Elentor posted:

I understand people are busy, and LPs are sometimes abandoned due to a myriad of reasons. So this is the opposite of me asking "when's next update" - I just want to say that I'm grateful for your first update, it brought attention back to this mod, your writing is very good and it is very insightful to read the differences between the mod and the original. Thank you.

just like the honest fire emblem character who gets a brave axe, you get an answer.

I'm aiming for tomorrow, since tonight I'm planning on putting together a CCP update.

More importantly, the kind words are appreciated. Your FF7 LP is one of my thematic inspirations, after all, as well as being a great journey to watch.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

Unrelated, if anyone has gif making tips/processes/something, that uhh may help speed up the update pace. Asking for a friend.

I'd suggest asking in the Sandcastle thread.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I'd suggest asking in the Sandcastle thread.

That sounds way too sensible. Didn't you think I had a reason for not doing so like...

*checks notes*

...wanting to procrastinate? wait no that can't be right I never procrastinate. I'll go and post there someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Rosalie_A posted:

Also, fear not, more will come. I've been building a backlog getting distracted by Pokemon Legends Arceus, but I think I'm going to enjoy doing more of this, once I deal with some technical issues.

Ugh, I feel this.

I responded to you over in the Sandcastle, I was writing the post to go here but you went and posted there before I finished. Don't know if it'll be helpful, I'm certainly not going to claim my approach is ideal but it gets the job done.