Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

Credit the subreddit for this, but some people think that the drug dealer saw it this way: she gets a profit on the drugs or s sticks Rue in that room with the padlock and pimps her out. Either way she makes money.

After this last episode, that's looking more possible. She definitely had some low-key predator vibes happening this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think this ep made it fairly clear she was gonna pimp Rue out to pay off the rest of the debt.

Anyway here’s an excessively stupid take that made me unreasonably angry
https://twitter.com/kvanaren/status/1490768712009408526?s=21

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zeroisanumber posted:

After this last episode, that's looking more possible. She definitely had some low-key predator vibes happening this episode.

The line about being a woman means you have other things people want 100% telegraphed that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, Rue

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

honestly, this might be the best episode of the show yet. zendaya is bout to go back to back on emmys. the whole section at laurie's place was loving harrowing, martha kelly is absolutely incredible in that role.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That was the most harrowing episode of television I’ve ever witnessed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyway here’s an excessively stupid take that made me unreasonably angry

Twitter works!

But also I can absolutely see why that take would get your goat LMAO what a dumb loving take. I don't know what it is about serialised television that breaks a certain kind of critic's brain, but it feels like they're all still looking for the second coming of Berlin Alexanderplatz when that poo poo was solved, repeatedly, years ago.

Same energy as Noah Hawley's famous "What is this thing, we call TV?"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy

loving

poo poo

That was some of the most incredible acting I have ever witnessed on tv. I could not stop crying

Saw someone online state the bird is an alarm system/cover for the noises from the basement

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 8, 2022

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Cal went full Jack Nicholson Joker.

Skip to 50 seconds in.

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope

UnknownMercenary posted:

The line about being a woman means you have other things people want 100% telegraphed that.

Also, she intentionally gave Rue a heroin shot (while she could have giving her some other stuff I think).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think it was more the line of becoming an IV drug user being crossed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hope they do more flashback scenes of fezs grandma and young Cal (and thus more INXS songs).

This last ep though...that was intense.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

a producer/writer on the show poo poo talking other shows on twitter lead to another huge drama bomb with creative tv/film writers. Basically it was summed up as "Playwrights slumming it and elevating the bad content of TV.

Lol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fez is gonna end up running all of the Los Angeles drug trade because he keeps having to kill the next boss up the line to save Rue from them

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Fez is gonna end up running all of the Los Angeles drug trade because he keeps having to kill the next boss up the line to save Rue from them

Fez has it up on a lot of drug dealers that I've met irl because he has one person whom he can count on to always back him up and never rip him off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LionArcher posted:

a producer/writer on the show poo poo talking other shows on twitter lead to another huge drama bomb with creative tv/film writers. Basically it was summed up as "Playwrights slumming it and elevating the bad content of TV.

Lol.

lol what? please share

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s the thing I shared yesterday

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s the thing I shared yesterday

Oh huh, I didn't know O. Harris worked on both the show's two seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently he was a consultant in season 1 and is a co-producer on this one.

These are the two really lovely ones he followed the original tweet up with

https://twitter.com/jeremyoharris/status/1490831199669198848?s=21

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just out of curiosity, when was this element supposed to be obvious to the audience? The way the episode summaries are written on Wiki etc mention it in the first episode, but I don't recall seeing anything that obviously pointed to her being trans until they did her flashback episode. Just curious if I missed a piece of dialog or something pointing to it.

I figured it out in the first episode because I always pause TV shows when they show medication to read the name of the drug. She injected herself with something containing the word "estrogen" so that made it clear. Also in the scenes where she's in her underwear (including that scene) it's pretty obvious she has a penis if you're looking.

I really liked that it was subtle though. I love that being trans is part of who she is but not the whole point of her character, nor is it anything that the people around her are fixated on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Facebook earlier:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’ll check out the half-time show later I got Euphoria to watch!!!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah that was good, particularly the set-piece with the overlapping conversations between Nate / his mother and Cassie / her mother.

Worried by how good a time Lexi was having this episode.

Also wtf Kat.

Edit: What was up with the shot of the clock at Minka Kelly's house?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 14, 2022

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah that was good, particularly the set-piece with the overlapping conversations between Nate / his mother and Cassie / her mother.

Worried by how good a time Lexi was having this episode.

Also wtf Kat.

Edit: What was up with the shot of the clock at Minka Kelly's house?

It looked like the clock had a camera in it. To the left of the display. Also, Minka Kelly's character acts a little off-putting and odd, and I have trust issues with everyone in this show, so that makes sense...

(I'm so nervous something bad is going to happen to Lexi when she's at Fezco's house!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

metavisual posted:

It looked like the clock had a camera in it. To the left of the display. Also, Minka Kelly's character acts a little off-putting and odd, and I have trust issues with everyone in this show, so that makes sense...

Huh, I wondered if the camera was something -- not realising it was a camera -- but then I dismissed it as just weird design because of all the other little circles at the bottom of the clock. Thanks!

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

but then I dismissed it as just weird design because of all the other little circles at the bottom of the clock. Thanks!

Same thing for me!! When I saw it I was like OH camera! Then I was like wait, maybe it's just the design because of the bottom. But looking at it again, I think the general consensus is that it was a camera.

This show...it gives me anxiety.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

metavisual posted:

(I'm so nervous something bad is going to happen to Lexi when she's at Fezco's house!)
Oh god, same :ohdear: I hope she doesn't get caught in the crossfire if Ash eventually starts blasting.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

metavisual posted:

Ohh so she knows Maddy is trying on her clothes etc, or is it something more sinister?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was a good episode. I really enjoyed the focus on the parents. I think anything would have felt like a mild letdown compared to last week, and this didn’t avoid that, but it was still neat even if I did frequently want to get back to Rue and Ali.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Cassie's mom: you don't do that
Nate's mom: that's my boy

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I'm really glad they brought back Rue's narration, I've seen people speculate the reason it wasn't really around for a few episodes was due to how completely non cognizant her character was mid-drug binge. which is an inspired choice if intentional

It still bothers me we've had all this backstory on Nate's family and yet nobody's brought up the third kid in their hallway portrait that Cal conveniently absconded with :argh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I rewatched the duelling parent/child scenes, and lol at Nate's mother basically admitting that she trapped Cal into marrying her with her pregnancy.

That sequence is just a really great set piece.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

asap-salafi posted:

Ohh so she knows Maddy is trying on her clothes etc, or is it something more sinister?

Drinking with her in the pool was weird, but then she just had life advice. I thought she was going to make a pass at her or something.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The previews for next episode look amazing.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this show looks so good all the time. those scenes in the car in the rain were just beautiful

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I rewatched the duelling parent/child scenes, and lol at Nate's mother basically admitting that she trapped Cal into marrying her with her pregnancy.

That sequence is just a really great set piece.

She also knows Nate choked Maddy but gives zero fucks about that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blue Nation posted:

She also knows Nate choked Maddy but gives zero fucks about that.

Oh no, that's his father's fault because he doesn't believe in therapy.

*wine glass clink*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blood Nightmaster posted:

It still bothers me we've had all this backstory on Nate's family and yet nobody's brought up the third kid in their hallway portrait that Cal conveniently absconded with :argh:

Yeah wtf is with the third kid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I totally buy the “Nate killed him accidentally in a rage” theory at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
This show is so bizzare, like I know that Nate is some kind of weird reptile-man wearing human flesh, but goddamn did the last couple episodes make me feel kind of bad for him at certain points. The scene with him in the hot tub with the girls and Maddy says they're not dating, followed by him repeating it only for Maddy and the girls to all jump down his loving throat was so completely them all acting insane while he was trying to stay reasonable. And the way his mother kept egging him on even as he tried to act like a mature adult was absolutely insane. Then again, you have him solving the problem of his father being a sex offender by beboop threatening his ex with a revolver, so he's not exactly a saint himself.