Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Jerusalem posted:

Pete snaps,"My mother can go to hell! Ted Chaough can fly her there!"

I want you to know this episode aired on mother's day. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ted with the aviator shades, Roger being the happiest we’ve ever seen him firing Burt, Peggy laying down the law for Don….lotta great moments. I’ve never gelled with Don/l and Sylvia’s dabbling into the dom/sub stuff even on rewatches.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
you call bob benson "ben" a lot, is that a fun lil nickname or just a typo?

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Mover posted:

Ted with the aviator shades, Roger being the happiest we’ve ever seen him firing Burt, Peggy laying down the law for Don….lotta great moments. I’ve never gelled with Don/l and Sylvia’s dabbling into the dom/sub stuff even on rewatches.

I think it makes sense for Don because with Bobby Barret and Megan post-fight sex, we see Don being into that dom role. I buy Sylvia being amused by it and playing along because of the novelty until Don goes too far by taking her book (like before he does that she can pretend while he's there and read her book when he's not).

Edit: Also, "They shot that Kennedy Boy" and Pete dismissing it as his mom's dementia is one of the funniest bits of black humor in the show.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 19, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mover posted:

I’ve never gelled with Don/l and Sylvia’s dabbling into the dom/sub stuff even on rewatches.

it's hot as gently caress though

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Bob bunson and Ted chawgh-gh

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

KellHound posted:

"They shot that Kennedy Boy" and Pete dismissing it as his mom's dementia is one of the funniest bits of black humor in the show.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
ben bobson

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Bob bunson and Ted chawgh-gh

ted chaogiuasodghwqorngw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KellHound posted:

I want you to know this episode aired on mother's day. :P

Oh my God :xd:

Lady Radia posted:

you call bob benson "ben" a lot, is that a fun lil nickname or just a typo?

Typo, yep. Thanks for catching it!

kalel posted:

a small callback to the advice Don gave Peggy in season 2 during her catatonic episode. here Peggy is implicitly equating their behavior (she has probably internalized some shame about her past)

Nice catch, I didn't even consider that.

KellHound posted:

I think it makes sense for Don because with Bobby Barret and Megan post-fight sex, we see Don being into that dom role. I buy Sylvia being amused by it and playing along because of the novelty until Don goes too far by taking her book (like before he does that she can pretend while he's there and read her book when he's not).

I did like that it's not exactly a callback but does call to mind - for me at least - The Jet Set, and Don just casually, unthinkingly ripping the last page out of the book Joy was reading. We see at least a couple of other times Don associates some level of intimacy with books: He took Sylvia's copy of Dante's Inferno with him to Honolulu with Megan, he sent Meditations on an Emergency to Anna. I think he enjoys and wants to share stories with people he loves, which makes sense given his job, but it also means that when he takes those things away or acts thoughtlessly around them like he did with Joy and the "power" move of taking the book from Sylvia it demonstrates how much more he cares about himself than the other person (if he cares about them at all).

kalel posted:

it's clear that Don is using the domination roleplay as a way to create an environment where he has complete control, as an escape from the ambiguous status quo at "his" agency. but really it's just an expression of the behavior he's always exhibited with his paramours taken to an extreme; he doesn't want them to exist except as extensions of his own desire. he has a recurring need to dominate women, to make them subservient to him—socially, financially, psychologically, sexually—and when he can't fulfill this desire at home, he goes out and gets it from someone else.

Yeah I agree. The explicitness of the subplot (in that Don's just openly saying things like "You exist only for my pleasure") kind of caught me by surprise but I do think it fits in with what we've seen of Don and his attitudes towards women and especially his issues with them.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Countdown to the review I've been waiting for Jerusalem to write since this project began...

Is it the one where Peggy stabs Abe? Because I cannot wait.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Devorum posted:

Is it the one where Peggy stabs Abe? Because I cannot wait.

That’s still one ep out. Next up: Cutler gets the gang hooked on methamphetamines

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God, late season 6 is just so much

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also until Peggy said it I completely missed that she'd bought the actual building she and Abe live in now, as opposed to just the apartment. I was wondering why she was insisting that she wanted the junkie tenant upstairs kicked out like that was something she had the power to do.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Peggy is rich as fuuck

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I mean, she probably owns it on a mortgage. It's just being made Copy Chief and Ted looking out for her makes it so she can afford a reasonable mortgage in a relatively bad neighborhood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember the time she got angry her "mad money" got stolen out of her purse at Sterling Cooper? She's come a long way :)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I went ahead and rewatched the next ep. Ginsberg amidst the rest of creative on Speed says he's "wasting his sanity with lunatics." Woof

Edit: "I believe I'm the only person in the Time-Life building who's not out of his mind." Wooooof

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 20, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jerusalem posted:

I think he enjoys and wants to share stories with people he loves, which makes sense given his job, but it also means that when he takes those things away or acts thoughtlessly around them like he did with Joy and the "power" move of taking the book from Sylvia it demonstrates how much more he cares about himself than the other person (if he cares about them at all).

I think there’s probably a commentary on the nature of art in here somewhere too: that although Don is as adept at using words and images to evoke emotions as any author, his talent is in the service of something he sees as ephemeral, and something that means nothing to him except as a stepping stone to the next client. Books, by comparison, are a tangible product, and good ones last hundreds of years, granting their authors something akin to immortality.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Don draper is a philandering alcoholic deserter who abuses everyone around him and doesn't give a gently caress about his children, but as depressing as his arc has been this season, it can't compare with the disappointment of Peggy becoming a goddamned landlord

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don't think it's fair to say Don doesn't give a gently caress about his kids, even though he definitely drops the ball a few times.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kalel posted:

Don draper is a philandering alcoholic deserter who abuses everyone around him and doesn't give a gently caress about his children, but as depressing as his arc has been this season, it can't compare with the disappointment of Peggy becoming a goddamned landlord

And later she puts that terrible drop-tile ceiling in

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

kalel posted:

Adds more context to Abe breaking up with her because she’s everything he hates. Also, given the ultimate moral of the show is that finding yourself to better sell diabetes water made by death squads is good I’m not sure the show wants you to read it as a bad thing.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I mostly remember it aired on Mother's Day because a reviewer (probably Avclub) quoted that line and said "Happy Mother's Day from Pete Campbell"

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Adds more context to Abe breaking up with her because she’s everything he hates. Also, given the ultimate moral of the show is that finding yourself to better sell diabetes water made by death squads is good I’m not sure the show wants you to read it as a bad thing.

When Abe first met Peggy, he compared her job to the SS. They were doomed from the start.

Also, while Peggy is in a lovely neighborhood now, that buildings location means it will rocket in value.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 20, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I dunno why, but for some reason I just remembered the scene when Don and Ted go to a Japanese restaurant to .. get familiar with the Japanese auto execs :psyduck: hilarious

KellHound posted:

Also, while Peggy is in a lovely neighborhood now, that buildings location means it will rocket in value.

Oh yeah, for sure. I was just contextualizing Peggy is comfortable, just not really rich yet. Important to stay somewhat grounded when you have characters like Roger, Don and Bert :v:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lady Radia posted:

I dunno why, but for some reason I just remembered the scene when Don and Ted go to a Japanese restaurant to .. get familiar with the Japanese auto execs :psyduck: hilarious

not just any japanese restaurant, benihana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cooper is "owns a ranch in Montana" rich, which I love because despite saying,"I do love them so" when thinking about his cows, I get the feeling he hasn't been there in years if not decades.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

you gotta watch the next episode asap jerusalem. you just gotta.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

no rush though

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Has the thread discussed the mystery of Bob Benson yet or is it too early in the show?

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem has noted that his is a brown noser and a kissass. But there hasn't been any discussion about him beyond that.

I did say I love him and Pete together and point out there is some slash fic about the two of them. No one has really discussed him in terms of the wild theories about him when the show was airing. I don't know if those theories would count as spoilers because they are not true and kinda out there.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"Bob Benson is the Manchuria candidate" was more egregious than "don draper is a serial killer" and both are more a function of goons being bad at watching tv/terminally Abrams poisoned.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Don Draper is DB Cooper was also a wild theory I remember. That and Megan was gonna get killed by Charles Mason

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KellHound posted:

Don Draper is DB Cooper was also a wild theory I remember. That and Megan was gonna get killed by Charles Mason
TVIV can be really bad sometimes lol

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

In their defense, if any character was going to hijack a plane then disappear into a new life, it would be Don.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Has the thread discussed the mystery of Bob Benson yet or is it too early in the show?

we're in the middle of season 6 so Bob hasn't really done much yet except brown nose the various partners. in the most recent episode, he helped Joan go to the hospital. Pete hasn't "found out" about him yet.

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 21, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wild conspiracy theories are fun, especially in a serious drama like mad men. you would expect cheap thrills in a daytime soap, or some kind of stupid mystery box in a neverending prime time drama (lost, house, any number of cancelled-after-one-season outings that the major networks pump out), so it just gets boring because whatever the show comes up with will inevitably be less exciting and more stupid.

In mad men the big game-changing shifts are telegraphed and set up episodes or even seasons in advance, so they feel authentic and part of a larger tapestry. they're usually mundane relative to other TV shows and not as flashy as THIS GUY KILLED THAT GUY or SHE HAS A SECRET MASTER PLAN TO DO ???SOMETHING??? but because it's so muted, the smaller stuff has a chance to stand out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

KellHound posted:

She was wearing Tates shirt in that one episode.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also a bit of poor judgment to be discussing a theory that involves Megan having to be in California for it to make sense, when she hasn't even left her soap yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kalel posted:

also a bit of poor judgment to be discussing a theory that involves Megan having to be in California for it to make sense, when she hasn't even left her soap yet

She's already been to Hawaii with Don. I would presume Jerusalem would think that it was on a trip or something