Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

OwlFancier posted:

Absent the ranch dressing yeah I would eat them spuds, cheese and garlic are nice.

Come to think of it, there's a lot of things I wouldn't eat if you added 1 cup of ranch to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Grand Fromage posted:

Calories and alcohol aren't real inside airports/airplanes. You can have as much as you want.

Same at the ballpark.

The cost, sadly, is real though (I spent $20 on three chicken tenders, fries, and a soda, and then immediately dropped the soda. No refills).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When donuts are in the offing I will cut myself a 1/8 wedge of one. That's about all I can usually stomach

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The only donuts that don't make me feel gross after eating are mochi donuts.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

A cup of ranch dressing is insane, but I feel like the truth is in the middle with those potatoes. Dial back the seasoning by 50% and we can talk. Feels like dad is overcompensating for bland potatoes when he was young.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

He's probably a smoker and can't taste anything. Super common with line cooks.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

According to the story everything else dude makes is great, maybe he's just super trashy about mashed potatoes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Havarti seems like a very wrong cheese to use in mashed potatoes. Parmesan, sure, but havarti? That's weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never eaten it but it sounds like those sweet nutty cheeses you get from scandiland? My main worry would be I don't know how well they would melt, but I mean, any cheese is good. For preference I'd probably add blue cheese or something, or a strong cheddar cos cheddar goes with everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AITA posted:

some foot smelling cheese

Havarti ... parmesan
I was expecting some kind of blue-vein or washed-rind cheese, not two of the most ordinary and popular types of cheese that exist.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tiggum posted:

I was expecting some kind of blue-vein or washed-rind cheese, not two of the most ordinary and popular types of cheese that exist.

Depends what Parmesan he’s using.
The pre grated stuff out of a tub? Stinks like old feet
An actual piece of Parmesan grated fresh? Heaven on earth, nutty and beautiful

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

On “breakfast meats”, for those not familiar:

Diners in Philadelphia will offer dishes like “pancakes with your choice of breakfast meats.” Your choice of breakfast meats is usually bacon, Canadian bacon, Taylor ham/pork roll, ham, pork sausage link, pork sausage patty, scrapple, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, beef bacon, beef sausage, and sometimes corned beef and pastrami.

Edit to add: Champ’s Diner options

Can’t believe I forgot chipped beef and crabcakes.

Have to say, this sounds horrifying when you're from a country that considers more than one boiled egg (along with some slices of bread) for breakfast the height of decadence.

teen witch posted:

anyhow, greetings from the r/r thread, where I’m yoinking this from

AITA for telling my husband that his potatoes are gross and that's why the kids and I refuse to eat them?
"I want my potatoes plain!" is the whitest thing ever. And even in Norway, which is by far one of the whitest country in the world, we at the very least add some loving salt our potatoes.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Feb 19, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Real Danish havarti has the kind of smell that makes you think you have something really rotten in the fridge unless you double-bag it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

LifeSunDeath posted:

these look so dank but I guess I'll never get to have one.

The aldi own brand ones are better.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Any reports regarding the smelly Harvati potatoes?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TV Zombie posted:

Smells bad, Todd

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, whether the potatoes are objectively good or not is irrelevant here. The rest of the family doesn’t like them, so he’s the rear end in a top hat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TV Zombie posted:

If you're having a party

Try the havarti

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dear, this is a potato intervention

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The cup of ranch in the potatoes is already a crime against God.

I like ranch dressing just fine on a salad, but I don't understand how it apparently broke a lot of Americans brains to the point they want it on and in everything. Pizza and ranch? No, gently caress off. Ranch-flavored tortilla chips? Keep loving off. Ranch in mashed potatoes? gently caress off forever.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can do ranch on a salad and Doritos and that’s pretty much my limit.

But ranch, cheese, potatoes, old bay and sesame oil? No. Choose one or two elements and have fun with that, not twelve things you like in a freak bowl.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like ranch dressing just fine on a salad, but I don't understand how it apparently broke a lot of Americans brains to the point they want it on and in everything. Pizza and ranch? No, gently caress off. Ranch-flavored tortilla chips? Keep loving off. Ranch in mashed potatoes? gently caress off forever.

You are correct

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:byodood: RAAAAAAAAAANCH :byodood:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqDPRS_Vaw

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Who is going to take one for the team and try making these?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

hallo spacedog posted:

Who is going to take one for the team and try making these?

I thought people already promised to do so, which is why I was asking

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A sudden, terrifying die-off of food horror posters

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

he hosed that tooth:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would make those potatoes in a heartbeat with some cream instead of ranch and a lack of Old Bay, but I'd have to create a PYF Good Foods thread and I'm not about to go to that level of :effort:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's seasoned buttermilk. If someone told you they added buttermilk, garlic, onion, parsley, and dill into their mashed potatoes you wouldn't think twice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's seasoned buttermilk. If someone told you they added buttermilk, garlic, onion, parsley, and dill into their mashed potatoes you wouldn't think twice.

I wouldn't need to think twice, because the first thought would be "gross."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Havarti is already a fairly creamy cheese to mix into the potatoes. That plus the ranch just makes the whole thing sound like it's just got way too much white goop : actual potatoes ratio.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ror posted:

way too much white goop : actual potatoes ratio.

gwyneth paltrow potatoes

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ror posted:

Havarti is already a fairly creamy cheese to mix into the potatoes. That plus the ranch just makes the whole thing sound like it's just got way too much white goop : actual potatoes ratio.

The most famous mashed potatoes recipe is 4:1:1 potatoes:butter:milk. The potato:dairy proportion is similar here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The most famous mashed potatoes recipe is 4:1:1 potatoes:butter:milk. The potato:dairy proportion is similar here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyPm0Z06KE

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgmvF2olcw

Robuchon would say use a full stick.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whether the potatoes are gross or not, he should separate out his portion and dump in all his extras.
The rest of the family clearly aren't into them so retain your pride by saying their unrefined palates can't appreciate it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Whether the potatoes are gross or not, he should separate out his portion and dump in all his extras.
The rest of the family clearly aren't into them so retain your pride by saying their unrefined palates can't appreciate it.

That was covered in the relationships thread the recipe came from, this seems like a better place to discuss its culinary merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The gross mashed potato defender has logged on.