Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Ult MJ did not hook up with Wolverine. He tried to do something when he was in Peter's body but they didn't bang.

Having re-read it, it does sure feel like it wants you to infer something happened. It even does this creepy zoom in of Logan-in-Peter's face when he's hugging MJ. And then MJ later telling Peter she wanted to wait to do what he wanted until they were "a little older."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Having re-read it, it does sure feel like it wants you to infer something happened. It even does this creepy zoom in of Logan-in-Peter's face when he's hugging MJ. And then MJ later telling Peter she wanted to wait to do what he wanted until they were "a little older."

MJ says he tried to do something that she wanted to wait on. It's gross but that implies that it didn't go very far. Had anything actually happened the next issue would have probably been Peter trying to murder Wolverine.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

bessantj posted:

Also didn't realise in the U.S. that Squirrel and Girl rhyme.

Rhymes in parts of Scotland too, but for different reasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was recently discussing PSA comics with some friends, and some of us, including me, remembered two different Spiderman ones about abuse—the famous one with Power Pack that was everywhere for years, and another one where Spiderman fought the Hobgoblin. When I search, I only get results for the Power Pack one.

Can anyone help me find the other one? I’m pretty sure it’s not the one with Skids where they stop parents from beating their kids, as I’m pretty sure that Spiderman recaps the story of himself being groomed by his neighbor while he’s fighting the Hobgoblin, for some reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

I was recently discussing PSA comics with some friends, and some of us, including me, remembered two different Spiderman ones about abuse—the famous one with Power Pack that was everywhere for years, and another one where Spiderman fought the Hobgoblin. When I search, I only get results for the Power Pack one.

Can anyone help me find the other one? I’m pretty sure it’s not the one with Skids where they stop parents from beating their kids, as I’m pretty sure that Spiderman recaps the story of himself being groomed by his neighbor while he’s fighting the Hobgoblin, for some reason.

No, the one where Peter's being sexually harassed by an older student was the Power Pack one but he is fighting the Hobgoblin who shares his OWN experiences with the reader directly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's a 1987 comic distributed by 7-11 about verbal abuse that sounds like one of the two you're describing. It opens with him fighting Hobgoblin, and then as Spider-Man continues to battle him he talks about childhood friends of his who suffered from verbal abuse just as bad as Hobgoblin's physical attacks. Then there are cutaways to stories about children coping with verbal abuse (at home and in school) interspersed with the continuing Spider-Man/Hobgoblin fight. For whatever reason this one doesn't seem to be on the Marvel Wikia.

Then there's the Spider-Man/Power Pack giveaway from 1984, which has no Hobgoblin but does have Spider-Man describing his creepy grooming neighbor, who appears to be a slightly older teen boy, but is also given gray hair for some reason.

There are a ton of these over the decades, but those two seem to be the ones getting mixed up here.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I need help finding the title of a comic I remember reading as a kid. Here’s what I remember:

• It was about a normal family that moves to a weird town, Eerie Indiana style. The son was usually the main character

• They had a dog that was just two asses, like CatDog, but AssAss. They always made a point to show how disgusted the characters are when the rear end dog “eats”.

• There was (pretty sure) a landlady or a close neighbor that was two old conjoined twins.

• The art was very 90s-early 2000s Dark Horse “The Mask” style. F’rex they always showed the anuses of the double assed dog.

I don’t remember any names or artists or anything distinguishing beyond visual stuff, so I’m of very little help. Somehow, armed with all these fuzzy memories, I haven’t been able to track down the name of this book.

Anybody know what I’m talking about?

e: formatting

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gross Point?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

YES! Thank you

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That never ceases to be impressive.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey Edge & Christian, is there a place to find sales figures from a comic book series from the '80s, or a list of the top 50/top 100 selling series per month from back then?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

I can’t believe that’s a DC book

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Written by Mark Waid of all people. Dropping the e’s from the ends of Grosse Pointe is the obvious joke every kid in Michigan has made at some point.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

Written by Mark Waid of all people. Dropping the e’s from the ends of Grosse Pointe is the obvious joke every kid in Michigan has made at some point.
It looks like Waid/Augustyn only wrote the "pilot" story, based on the editorial in the back of the second issue Gross Point was developed in-house by Martin Pasko along with the "Special Projects Group" that he was modeling after his time in TV writers' rooms. Subsequent issues were written primarily by Rick Parker, Lisa Trusani, Dan Slott, and Matt Wayne but within a few issues it was just Matt Wayne.

Beerdeer posted:

I can’t believe that’s a DC book
In the mid-late 1990s, DC was trying stuff. Parallel to Gross Point's fourteen issue run they also experimented with letting creator-owned* superhero titles take place in the DCU (starting with Sovereign Seven and continuing with Xero, Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, etc), kept trying to launch secondary "adult" like the sci-fi Helix to keep Vertigo pure "dark fantasy", they continually took swings like that for a solid decade in a losing battle against having 60% of their publishing line be Batman comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey Edge & Christian, is there a place to find sales figures from a comic book series from the '80s, or a list of the top 50/top 100 selling series per month from back then?
Kind of? John Jackson Miller at Comichron is slowly pull together information and posting it on this page, where he gets into the weeds of why getting definitive charts is difficult. The big picture is that you still had multiple big distributors (and even more smaller ones) selling comics, and for much of the 1980s the newsstand was still declining from the site of the majority of sales to a large plurality. Plus, any charts that were published were in newsletters/catalogs/fanzines that are 30-40 years old now. The Comic Reader (which went under in 1984) tried for awhile to compile a chart by surveying comic shops and having them submit their charts, but that petered out a year or two before TCR itself did. Amazing Heroes started doing something similar in the mid-1980s, and I want to say Comic Buyer's Guide ran sales charts periodically but older copies of those are generally hard to find and all of the ones I have are boxed up somewhere.

Marvel would publish their own top ten best-selling comics of the previous month in Marvel Age, but that isn't super helpful, and a lot of independent books of the era (I'm thinking specifically Cerebus but I want to say some Fantagraphics and Eclipse books too) would publish their own circulation numbers in the comics themselves. Finally, the Standard Catalog of Comic Books put out by Krause (most recently updated and put onto a DVD in 2008) is mostly a catalog/price guide, but as part of the cataloging includes the Postal Statements for any issues they found in their research, so for instance they have the following circ statement estimates on an annual basis for the Amazing Spider-Man
1980: 296,712
1981: 242,781
1982: 240,683
1983: 241,762
1984: 261,254
1985: 326,695
1986: 276,064
1987: 284,692
1988: 271,100
1989: 266,100
1990: 334,893

They also have the Capital City Distribution sales estimates for the issues that they had those charts from, but to put that in perspective in terms of "share of industry", the earliest CapCity sales figure for ASM is in 1985, with ASM #264 getting 25,800 orders out of the Marvel-disclosed average of 326,695 a month sold (which itself is always smaller than the "net press run" which includes comps, newsstand returns, etc, which is where most of the "X sold [huge number of copies!] since it was often 25-50% higher than the actual number of copies sold).

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 7, 2022

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Another good, short-lived DC series from the late '90s is Vext.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Can anyone identify who drew this art that my nieces got for me?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, I know this is comics and thus asking for a consistent portrayal of a long-lived character is pretty silly, but how is Ra's Al Ghul generally depicted in Batman comics? Is he a monster who just wears a friendly face or is there something genuinely noble about him?

I dunno, I'm just thinking of my favorite Batman animated stuff and in the Under the Red Hood movie he saves Jason's life and is portrayed pretty positively. But I was also thinking of the DCAU where his "ending" there was how he possessed Talia's body, pretty much confirming beyond a shadow of a doubt that he he was a supremely selfish piece of poo poo and cared about no one else. These are very different takes and I'm just wondering which might be closer to the comics.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So, I know this is comics and thus asking for a consistent portrayal of a long-lived character is pretty silly, but how is Ra's Al Ghul generally depicted in Batman comics? Is he a monster who just wears a friendly face or is there something genuinely noble about him?

I dunno, I'm just thinking of my favorite Batman animated stuff and in the Under the Red Hood movie he saves Jason's life and is portrayed pretty positively. But I was also thinking of the DCAU where his "ending" there was how he possessed Talia's body, pretty much confirming beyond a shadow of a doubt that he he was a supremely selfish piece of poo poo and cared about no one else. These are very different takes and I'm just wondering which might be closer to the comics.

A monster who wears a friendly face.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, he's probably DC's closest equivalent to Doctor Doom if that helps. For comparison's sake, Doom briefly wore armor made from the skin of his girlfriend - That's right up there.

That makes me think of a question I had before - Has Ra's scouted anyone else to bring his plans to light? He keeps insisting on having Batman take his place, why not try and convince someone else? It kind of feels like a story that would have happened with Jason if they had decided to go full villain with him when they brought him back originally.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, he's probably DC's closest equivalent to Doctor Doom if that helps. For comparison's sake, Doom briefly wore armor made from the skin of his girlfriend - That's right up there.

That makes me think of a question I had before - Has Ra's scouted anyone else to bring his plans to light? He keeps insisting on having Batman take his place, why not try and convince someone else? It kind of feels like a story that would have happened with Jason if they had decided to go full villain with him when they brought him back originally.

So during the Contagion storyline (or maybe it was the sequel) where it was shown that Ra's invented the Clench, he had recruited Bane to be his successor. It didn't go well.

Otherwise I think you need to go to Alternate Universes.
He showed up in Justice League the Nail (an Amazo had been sent to kill him and his followers. The Flash saved him and Ra's offered him the role. He turned it down.)

He also had a prominent role in Injustice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
According to Wikipedia it looks like he got with the times and just gave his daughters the gig as head of the League of Assassins. Though I think Talia's kind of taken everything her own way and isn't doing things according to Ra's' plans so, uh...

The most recent thing I've seen him in is the recent Robin series where it looks like he's been living alone on an island trying to do some zen master poo poo and try to learn from his recent defeats (and also give his grandson a little fighting refresher course). It does have this great moment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Damien how is your head staying on that pencilneck

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Nyssa still around?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Apologies if this gets a bit gosspy. I recently picked up a few trades of Rat Queens from the local library. I read the first few issues of the comics ages ago when it was coming out and really enjoyed it. I met the author, Kurtis Wiebe, a few times at cons and he seemed very friendly and jovial. I read the comics up until issue 10 or so and then the whole thing with Roc Upchurch happened where he was arrested for domestic violence and let go of the book. I remember a few fans being concerned about what would happen with the book after Upchurch was let go. I picked up a few of the issues with the new artist, Tess Fowler, and the storyline just never did anything for me so I dropped the book before that arc finished. Anyway this year I decided to give stuff post Upchurch a shot again and took out the trades. I noticed that trade 3 covers issues #10-15, and trade 4 covers vol 2/issues #1-5. Reading the third trade and it just....ends. #15 ends on a cliffhanger with one of the main characters seemingly turning evil and then.....nothing. Trade 4 picks up where the previous arc finished, but the issue that finished the previous arc, #16, isn't in either trade. I tried to do a bit of research into why this is, and it turned out that Wiebe and Fowler seemingly hated each other and Wiebe decided to omit #16 from the trades because he said he hated it and hated where he was in his life when he did it. I tried to look up what actually happened between Wiebe and Fowler: she said she had been fired from the book to make way for Upchurch to return (something that never happened it seems) and he said that she was terrible to work with. I did find something from some guy who wrote something called Doc Wilde about Fowler but I have no idea who he is and what Doc Wilde even is. I do remember overhearing Wiebe say to some fan at a con that everyone believes the rumours because the truth isn't as fun. He said it in a very dismissive way and I wasn't really paying much attention what they were talking about, but now assume it was about this.
Anyway, after that long introduction I am just wondering what the hell actually happened in Rat Queens #16. As mentioned all I can find about it was stuff that Wiebe said about why it will never be reprinted.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rat Queens was a cursed comic that made everyone who worked on it miserable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Which is a shame because that first chunk was wonderful. Now there's that critical role cartoon on Amazon that's basically the same tone

radlum
May 13, 2013
How is the original Books of Magic run?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original mini that started it is pretty cool. The rest I could take or leave.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm halfway through it and so far the mini is the best part. I think my main issue is that the main character is annoying but in a boring way. Yeah he's a teenager but his growth seems too slow given the speed of what happens around him. I read somewhere that the writer (so far) didn't like the character and it shows.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the ongoing Books of Magic series goes pretty quickly from being Tim Hunter's story to being about his friend Molly, with Tim along for the ride.

Books of Magic: Life During Wartime is such a tonal and stylistic change from Books of Magic that it'll give you whiplash. I don't think it's bad, once you grasp the story Spencer is trying to tell, but if you were a fan of the original version of Tim Hunter, it'll take some adjustment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, it's Tim Hunter in college, assuming he uses a relatively standard amount of drugs for a college student.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I still stand by that first BoM ongoing as being a good story that stuck it's landing and didn't need a followup, but I haven't reread it in a few years so who knows how much of that is nostalgia. Yeah, Tim is kind of the least interesting part of his own book but I really liked his supporting cast, and how ready they were to call him out on his bullshit when he needed it. Plus, by the end of the series it he does get to have some of that growth he needed.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Was Dick adopted by Batman? I know Tim was. What about the others?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes to Dick, not sure about Jason.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yes to Dick, not sure about Jason.

Jason seemed to be more of a foster kid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought Dick was Bruce's ward.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruce adopted him much later like way into their careers.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I thought Dick was Bruce's ward.

He was, but after Tim Drake's dad was killed in Identity Crisis Tim ended up being formally adopted by Bruce - who adopted Dick and Jason at the same time (even though I'm pretty sure Dick was an adult? It's odd), and said he shoulda done it ages ago.

Then One Year Later happened immediately afterwards and everyone's status quo got blown up, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

He was, but after Tim Drake's dad was killed in Identity Crisis Tim ended up being formally adopted by Bruce - who adopted Dick and Jason at the same time (even though I'm pretty sure Dick was an adult? It's odd), and said he shoulda done it ages ago.

Then One Year Later happened immediately afterwards and everyone's status quo got blown up, so

You can adopt adults. Gay couples used to do it sometimes because it was the only way to guarantee inheritance and power of attorney if your partner got sick or passed away.