Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

As a person who lives in a country with reasonable gun control laws:
So, is it cheaper than that? More expensive?
You can probably get a serviceable deer rifle in .308 for like $500 new. A lower end AR-15 is like $600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I just googled an AR-15 and-

Why in god name would anyone need what appears to be an automatic rifle to hunt???

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RangerKarl posted:

Makes sense in character I think, the guy probably hasn't ever looked up gun prices in the US, because what reason would he want to?

Maybe he should ask for a catalog next run.

It absolutely makes sense in character, I just thought it was funny.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Siegkrow posted:

Why in god name would anyone need what appears to be an automatic rifle to hunt???

It's not an automatic rifle.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Siegkrow posted:

It's not fully automatic.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Siegkrow posted:

(basically) any civilian legal one is gonna be semi-auto. The longer answer is gonna get into miniate of american gun law

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
^^ah c'mon man

Siegkrow posted:

https://twitter.com/williemcnabb/status/1158045307562856448?lang=en

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Helter Skelter posted:

The "what does a bolt-action hunting rifle even cost in the US, like $3,000?" got a good chuckle out of me. Hopefully it's a fake-out and the author actually has done their research, because lmao.

Earlier he says that a (illegal in japan) magazine extension for his shotgun is $55, and a quick google search shows it to be around $60 currently. Combined with some of the other firearms facts sprinkled around makes me think the author's done at least some research.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nanotes is the best isekai goddess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Sounds like you don't even want to be able to put a dent in Bigfoot's durable hide should the beast ambush you while you're hunting for deer.

Anyway, I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness Doesn't Mean I'm a Bad Person! Just had five and a half chapters drop and wrap it up. That's the one that people had a real negative reaction to because the big moment that people started coming around on her not being a harbinger of calamity in mass was her making a good impression on the Light Goddess and acquiring her power too along with her skin immediately shifting from Marina to Pearl. I believe it was her skin color that people focused on more, I'm fairly sure her hair being black bothered people too but I don't remember how much they brought that up.

Honestly, thought that one would last longer, but I don't know if that reaction cut it short or if it was never going to be long in the first place.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if it is a small store there is a very high chance they have a ridiculous assortment of automatic weapons.

radio: *beep* "NAKAJIMA!"

Nakajima: [fumbling for radio] "Ah! is that you, goddess?"

radio: "NAKAJIMA I NEED YOU TO PUT MONEY IN THE BAG RIGHT NOW!"

Nakajima: "Ah, I've only got a ¥100 coin left, is that okay?"

radio: "WHATEVER, THAT'S FINE, JUST*THUMP* ATF! OPEN THE DOOR! NAKAJIMA JUST PUT THE COIN IN THE BAG NOW!!"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if he'll be buying some Tannerite at some point. You know, for "target practice."

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

thanks thanks, i'll check these out. i think what i really think is fun is characters essentially coming from not-romantic-at-all genres being thrust into having a bunch of people pining for them and such. like the silent witch not realizing all the nobles she's terrified of have crushes on her. goofy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not realizing that people are pining for you is a staple of the romantic genre too though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clarste posted:

Not realizing that people are pining for you is a staple of the romantic genre too though.

Happens in Otome games all the time, and Romcoms too, not just regular romance stories.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

sure, but apparently, not realizing because you've spent your entire life hunting monsters or whatever and lack social experience annoys me less than not realizing because you're unreasonably inattentive.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Poor Rentt...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
huh silent witch is actually pretty good, avoids most of the pitfalls of the genre (being boring, having no real conflict, having incredibly flat characters). hard to read it and not root for the main character

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Elfface posted:

Poor Rentt...

Did his backstory chapter drop or is this about him being dense as gently caress about Lorraine?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Gonna say I absolutely love the mangas that are basically I died and came into the world, and I somehow am a monster and have to not die. While the slime one is the biggy (and has its problems here and there) the spider one is amazing to me, and there's one where the protagonist reincarnates as a dragon egg and has to not die as he's in the middle of a forest that absolutely wants to murder him, with his egg and specie (at first) literally being considered a delicacy.

I like the things that aren't just I have all this knowledge and over rely on skills given to me, but instead are stories about developing and just knowing the mechanics of the world or having an underlying knowledge of how to bypass certain things by seeing the world as a game.

Also the manga about the young boy and his mummy mom, ghost grandad and skeleton dad, literally teering up reading it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I like the things that aren't just I have all this knowledge and over rely on skills given to me, but instead are stories about developing and just knowing the mechanics of the world or having an underlying knowledge of how to bypass certain things by seeing the world as a game.

Give this a go then: https://mangadex.org/title/fc6bbfc4...fe-suru-koto-ni

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

nrook posted:

huh silent witch is actually pretty good, avoids most of the pitfalls of the genre (being boring, having no real conflict, having incredibly flat characters). hard to read it and not root for the main character

i think it's a good touch how the aloof prince is also a huge dorky fanboy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Gonna say I absolutely love the mangas that are basically I died and came into the world, and I somehow am a monster and have to not die. While the slime one is the biggy (and has its problems here and there) the spider one is amazing to me, and there's one where the protagonist reincarnates as a dragon egg and has to not die as he's in the middle of a forest that absolutely wants to murder him, with his egg and specie (at first) literally being considered a delicacy.

Also the manga about the young boy and his mummy mom, ghost grandad and skeleton dad, literally teering up reading it.

Dragon Egg isekai hasn't updated in a long while and I 100% agree with your sentiment about Faraway Paladin. There were several other scenes later on that got me good due to how emotional they are in poignance.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Caught by the Villain seems to qualify for this thread, but some of the cast is tough to sympathize with if you don't like characters with sociopathic streaks. I can't stand some of these fuckers. The FL needs to kill one or two of them, straight up, for the good of humankind.

I might drop that comic and reread the one about Snow White's stepmom. Love that one.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

doomrider7 posted:

Dragon Egg isekai hasn't updated in a long while

it updated earlier this month?

https://mangadex.org/title/fa197a3e-6dd6-470d-91e4-c0130a1392d3/tensei-shitara-dragon-no-tamago-datta-ibara-no-dragon-road

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some seasonal thing or some bizarro factor that makes a bunch of different manga line up to go to the old slave shop at around the same time? I just feel like over the past few weeks a few different translated mangas all came out with the requisite slave purchasing chapter. This is going something like 30+ chapters into the story in one case. Usually, they do that poo poo within the first four or so chapters and I know to just throw it away.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Probably just coincidence with a dash of confirmation bias.
But yeah, wish more series would establish that earlier in their runs so it's easier to filter out.

"Hello i am teenage mc genericface and i died walking into traffic because i was fantasizing about having a harem of slaves (who actually love me and wouldn't instantly murder me and vanish into the night if i were to dispel their magic slave mind control.)"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some seasonal thing or some bizarro factor that makes a bunch of different manga line up to go to the old slave shop at around the same time? I just feel like over the past few weeks a few different translated mangas all came out with the requisite slave purchasing chapter. This is going something like 30+ chapters into the story in one case. Usually, they do that poo poo within the first four or so chapters and I know to just throw it away.

I see you too read the latest chapter of Adventure Record of Reincarnated Aristocrat ~The apostle of Gods who doesn’t know self-esteem~ .

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

SubNat posted:

(who actually love me and wouldn't instantly murder me and vanish into the night if i were to dispel their magic slave mind control.)"

This is a plot point in Great Cleric. Slaves can't rebel because of magic but one volume has a murder mystery and it's implied an isekai person is going around freeing slaves with Remove Curse. Implied because they don't actually introduce Isekai John Brown yet. They'll probably show up in a future book.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd rather follow around isekai john brown than the dude whose sole personality trait is that he drinks a nasty energy drink.

or is great cleric something else?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No, that's the one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's always really frustrating to me when an author adds in slaves for no good reason/out of laziness. Sure, it's super gross when it's clearly the author's fetish, but at least those stories are upfront about their intentions and you can quickly avoid them. It's just always such a letdown when you're reading an interesting story and the author goes: "I want to add a beastgirl, but I don't know why she'd hang around my protagonist. I know, I'll just have them buy her as a slave!".

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Hm, yes, a starving, diseased, uneducated waif? Turning her into a child soldier will be an excellent addition to our combat ability.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mordecai posted:

Hm, yes, a starving, diseased, uneducated waif?

One thing that annoys me is that this partly describes plenty of decent to good characters in other media. Cuno and Cunoesse, Suu from loving Daily Life with Monster Girl, Taiga from Toradora, or

Come to think of it, for what it's worth, Please Forgive Me!!! is basically a resurrection isekai. It's only moderately anime though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Solitary Lady is probably the closest that a shoujo romance will ever come to Dark Souls

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was literally saying yesterday where the gently caress is my Risou and it dropped today.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

Solitary Lady is probably the closest that a shoujo romance will ever come to Dark Souls

This is probably the 3rd or 4th shoujo reincarnation story where the MC's goal is trying to die and stay dead and honestly it's proving to be a compelling premise. I like the cast on this one as well, there's good drama with Two of the nobles having memories of the MC's interactions with them and the idea that the last true king saw all this coming. It's also funny how the MC's face is perpetually done with everyone's poo poo because she has every right to be. Shame this "short" hiatus has apparently been more than a couple months going by the scanlation update schedule.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

the usual excuse is that well we can't judge this society by japan's standards, I may have torn through an entire city to get some soy sauce but God forbid I rock the slavery boat

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've only read one that I can think of that sprang a surprise slave on the MC in a later volume and it was one I was already kinda going against the grain to read to begin with because of the harem element so it was an easy drop. It seems to go hand in hand with the trashier setups and high levels of fanservice so just read like a prude and you'll avoid it naturally lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's bigger than Japan, see Harry Potter. We're just seeing an uptick because of the low bar of entry and WN/LNs getting a big boost in visibility. It turns out a surprisingly large part of society are still okay with bad things.