Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommieGIR posted:

But I mean, that is what EPCOT was: A stage show. Yes, you did real jobs, but everyone was supposed to come tour EPCOT and see the utopia you were working in.

Have these people heard of renaissance fairs? You can do all of that without paying a tithe to a megacorp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Have these people heard of renaissance fairs? You can do all of that without paying a tithe to a megacorp!

Yes but them some fascist CEO doesn't get his little fascist utopia in the swamps of Florida.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:getin: :sickos: :getin: :sickos:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

But I mean, that is what EPCOT was: A stage show. Yes, you did real jobs, but everyone was supposed to come tour EPCOT and see the utopia you were working in.

Ooooo, didn't realize that Epcot was supposed to be a showroom of sorts as well. Just that it was Walt's version of Hershey, PA but with futuretopia as the aesthetic instead of Benevolent Protestant Father Figure Playhouse.

Boooo, private? What's the point then? You already had a report feature.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crain posted:

Boooo, private? What's the point then? You already had a report feature.

Because now they can just say that they've hidden some replies because they aren't marked as popular by the people you follow/based on your own down votes on the app. Instead of getting rid of the white supremacists that are being reported, they'll just keep them off your home page so you won't report them.

The system works! :eng101:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

thecluckmeme posted:

Because now they can just say that they've hidden some replies because they aren't marked as popular by the people you follow/based on your own down votes on the app. Instead of getting rid of the white supremacists that are being reported, they'll just keep them off your home page so you won't report them.

The system works! :eng101:

I did not think of that.

It's like that Black Mirror episode where you could block people from your perception except they're just doing it to everyone all the time without consent.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If inremember right, Walt was slowly becoming Elon Musk in his later years.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at Musk tweeting out pictures of Hitler, probably good for Disney now that the service didn't exist back in the day.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Fame Douglas posted:

Looking at Musk tweeting out pictures of Hitler, probably good for Disney now that the service didn't exist back in the day.

Wait, what the hell did i mess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Musk compared Trudeau to Hitler while saying he supports the Truckers, you know, the guys actually flying Confederate and Nazi flags.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Lol at cyberspace becoming such safe spaces for snowflakes.

Only truely bad poo poo or massive sir this is a wendys walls of texts should be blocked or moderated.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Never thought I'd see the day Elon Musk deleted a tweet. Sad!

And I just remembered that, per the terms of a settlement with the SEC, Musk is supposed to get all his tweets approved by a Tesla lawyer before making them. That's very obviously not happening, and the SEC has so far failed to successfully enforce it in court (though it appears that the SEC still hasn't given up hope on that), but it's still funny to think about the CEO of Tesla running his Hitler meme tweets past a company lawyer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BiggerBoat posted:

Still doesn't solve the problem of the kitchen getting it wrong though. I don't like american cheese and somehow I'll still get it on my food like 1/4 of the time. Same for my kid who doesn't like pickles and ketchup on his burgers.

McDonalds has sucked at customization since my youth, which was in the 1970s. They're set up for mass production, and anything else is out of their training and expectations. That's why Burger King had "Have it Your Way" as a slogan for awhile: because they can do customization, and McD's really can't.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Main Paineframe posted:

And I just remembered that, per the terms of a settlement with the SEC, Musk is supposed to get all his tweets approved by a Tesla lawyer before making them. That's very obviously not happening, and the SEC has so far failed to successfully enforce it in court (though it appears that the SEC still hasn't given up hope on that), but it's still funny to think about the CEO of Tesla running his Hitler meme tweets past a company lawyer.

I kind of want to watch a video following that lawyer around as he haplessly tries to keep track of his boss's increasingly egomaniacal antics, Curb Your Enthusiasm-style.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Main Paineframe posted:

He prolly ran a sexyhitler.jpg with the 6 pack as the first draft.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For posterity sake, the bottom text of the Hitler meme was "I had a budget."

I'm not surprised he tweeted a Hitler meme. I'm surprised he deleted it. I was gonna crack a joke about how nobody needed to bother screenshotting it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

McDonalds has sucked at customization since my youth, which was in the 1970s. They're set up for mass production, and anything else is out of their training and expectations. That's why Burger King had "Have it Your Way" as a slogan for awhile: because they can do customization, and McD's really can't.

That's how it's designed to work and how they measure productivity.

I've worked for a lot of sign companies and print shops who want to streamline every order but still allow for total customization and exceptions to every single product they offer that they gently caress up every time. No matter what company I work for, they seem to think it's all easy, efficient and streamlined but every order has some exception that you'll miss unless you are looking for it. It's kind of an ongoing battle really. The companies want the optimization and speed of an assembly line but assembly lines don't really work if every third or fourth order only gets ONE widget.

The only company I can think of that really gets it right is Jimmy Johns because, god drat, are you ever in and out of that place in a loving shot since they only offer like 10 or 15 menu items, max, with minimal variables while charging an awful lot for food that must be really cheap to make.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

A lawyer could easily approve a Hitler meme if the scope of his approval is limited to whether or not a tweet is manipulating markets or spreading insider information or whatever the specific SEC order is about.

Not that I think Musk is complying at all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

The only company I can think of that really gets it right is Jimmy Johns because, god drat, are you ever in and out of that place in a loving shot since they only offer like 10 or 15 menu items, max, with minimal variables while charging an awful lot for food that must be really cheap to make.

This is why places like Chipotle overtook competitors like California tortilla. Ostensibly they're both the same model, fast casual texmex style food, but everyone knows Chipotle and you can expect to find them about as often as you find a starbucks. Why?

Chipotle: 4 stations with 4 options or so each plus one last question on if you want extra quac.

Cali tortilla: 30+ Menu items, full host of toppings, fillings, etc, add ons, and a wall of hot sauces with a goddamned index so you can find what you want or learn about just what "Lenny's Larynx Evicerator" is made from.

Extremely limited customization is far better than giving people 400+ options when really, 80% of your customers are going to order the same few menu items anyway.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Its the paradox of choice.

the only except is that one place that makes it a marketing point that they have like several million ways to serve hashbrowns. Which works because its a diner biz and most people dont just order haskbrowns, and the options are bunch of sides/condiment-likes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crain posted:

This is why places like Chipotle overtook competitors like California tortilla. Ostensibly they're both the same model, fast casual texmex style food, but everyone knows Chipotle and you can expect to find them about as often as you find a starbucks. Why?

Chipotle: 4 stations with 4 options or so each plus one last question on if you want extra quac.

Cali tortilla: 30+ Menu items, full host of toppings, fillings, etc, add ons, and a wall of hot sauces with a goddamned index so you can find what you want or learn about just what "Lenny's Larynx Evicerator" is made from.

Extremely limited customization is far better than giving people 400+ options when really, 80% of your customers are going to order the same few menu items anyway.

There was a place at a mall I went to that was called the Cajun Cafe, had absolutely zero Cajun food on the menu but it had stuff like sausage slices tossed in SYSCO General Tso's sauce and other things like that, your generic chinese buffet food but labeled "cajun". You'd pick one side + 2 entrees or 2 sides + 4 entrees with a slight discount as a "bundle". There were maybe 10 or 12 options total and to this day it is the fastest fast food I've ever been to. Point at Rice, point at spicy barbecue beef, point at garlic sesame chicken, it all goes into a Styrofoam takeout container with a fork stabbed through. Pay with card, in and out in no time flat. There was a chain Chinese place right next door to it in the food court that closed and reopened as a pizza place because they couldn't compete with Cajun Cafe

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

thecluckmeme posted:

There was a place at a mall I went to that was called the Cajun Cafe, had absolutely zero Cajun food on the menu but it had stuff like sausage slices tossed in SYSCO General Tso's sauce and other things like that, your generic chinese buffet food but labeled "cajun". You'd pick one side + 2 entrees or 2 sides + 4 entrees with a slight discount as a "bundle". There were maybe 10 or 12 options total and to this day it is the fastest fast food I've ever been to. Point at Rice, point at spicy barbecue beef, point at garlic sesame chicken, it all goes into a Styrofoam takeout container with a fork stabbed through. Pay with card, in and out in no time flat. There was a chain Chinese place right next door to it in the food court that closed and reopened as a pizza place because they couldn't compete with Cajun Cafe

Sounds like Panda Express

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back when I worked at GameStop, a guy came in and told us he was opening a place called Uberrito in the same shopping center and invited us over to get a free meal a few days before opening. He touted how much better they were than Chipotle, how they have a million more options, including queso! (This was before Chipotle had queso.) So I stopped in on my way home after work. I wasn't gonna pass up free food. I even got the queso. It all sucked. I never went in as a paying customer. I just checked and they don't have any locations in my state anymore.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Choice overload! The performing arts company I work for is dead set on algorithmically funneling subscribers into historically undersold performances (e.g., Wednesday evenings, or the second week of performances, etc), so along with basic options like being "see all six performances or mix and match three/four" they launch every season with a bunch of weird pre-set packages where you can see three shows on the eighth super worm moon or whatever. This never works but they keep increasing it and our last brochure had like five pages of information dedicated just to these dumb packages.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Choice overload! The performing arts company I work for is dead set on algorithmically funneling subscribers into historically undersold performances (e.g., Wednesday evenings, or the second week of performances, etc), so along with basic options like being "see all six performances or mix and match three/four" they launch every season with a bunch of weird pre-set packages where you can see three shows on the eighth super worm moon or whatever. This never works but they keep increasing it and our last brochure had like five pages of information dedicated just to these dumb packages.

Just do the second week of performances first, Duh! Then they have to sell out.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1494760355263922190

:aatrek:

https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1494778969891217417

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Who could have possibly known?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
People that work for openly evil company are evil, news at 11. But seriously FB is crashing and burning and you love to see it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quarantinethepast posted:

People that work for openly evil company are evil, news at 11. But seriously FB is crashing and burning and you love to see it

I 100% am here for it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This never works but they keep increasing it and our last brochure had like five pages of information dedicated just to these dumb packages.
The Market: This isn't working!
Capitalism: Keep loving that chicken!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Love that zucks pivot to the metaverse which was meant to distract from things resulted in an even bigger loss

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oh so you think its funny that meta lost 45 percent in stock value? you like hearing that zuckerberg was having a cry before a company meeting? you think it's "cool" that everyone thinks the metaverse "looks like poo poo" and "like wiisports but for pedophiles?" thats what you think?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Stexils posted:

oh so you think its funny that meta lost 45 percent in stock value? you like hearing that zuckerberg was having a cry before a company meeting? you think it's "cool" that everyone thinks the metaverse "looks like poo poo" and "like wiisports but for pedophiles?" thats what you think?

yeah thats what i think

but i wont be satisfied until meta has lost 100% of its stock value and zuckerberg is having a cry alone in a jail cell

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IMO it should be a law that every graph of stock price include zero on the vertical axis.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

withak posted:

IMO it should be a law that every graph of stock price include zero on the vertical axis.

Like a memento mori for corporations

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Xand_Man posted:

Like a memento mori for corporations

Memento decocturos.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

yeah thats what i think

but i wont be satisfied until meta has lost 100% of its stock value and zuckerberg is having a cry alone in a jail cell

Bad news, even if Meta entirely loses all it's value and goes under Zuckerberg will still be a very wealthy man. There's absolutely no way he doesn't have some of his value diversified into other investments.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://hitechglitz.com/ford-patents-an-auto-sensor-to-scan-roadside-billboards-and-send-ads-straight-to-dashboards/

Ford patents an auto sensor to scan roadside billboards and send ads straight to dashboards

The patent is likely to raise the eyebrows of road safety experts as 3,142 people were killed in distracted driving in the United States in 2019, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Not sure about the source though but seems like a matter of time before this is standard

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Countdown until the dealer sticker starts to include a bigger number in the small print for the ad-free version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

BiggerBoat posted:

Ford patents an auto sensor to scan roadside billboards and send ads straight to dashboards

Not sure about the source though but seems like a matter of time before this is standard
Sounds like BS, how would Ford be making money on this? It would be simpler for them to just...sell add space on their dashboards.