Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/accursedfarms/status/1494479783408852992?s=20&t=OCkVZL6gELZvkBYFqm8qZQ

so is this another one of those things they are going to furiously backpedal on in a week or so?

i have an account for game pass. no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/accursedfarms/status/1494479783408852992?s=20&t=OCkVZL6gELZvkBYFqm8qZQ

so is this another one of those things they are going to furiously backpedal on in a week or so?
Preview Builds have generally always required an MS account activation to use I thought.

But they'll probably back off on Pro.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

The_Franz posted:

isn’t this basically osx + appleid ?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kernel Sanders posted:

pretty much yeah, makes sense to do since it simplifies and standarizes managing passwords (including online resets) and keys and such related to your account. e.g. there was a long bitlocker recovery key discussion in the security thread which largely circled around the fallback behaviors from not having a microsoft account. i get that some people consider it a freedom thing to not have a microsoft account, but they are still accepting all the related licenses and eulas installing windows, so i do think they'd be happier just going on some suitable linux if they really worry about it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kernel Sanders posted:

you don't need an appleid to use macos or ios. you can't access the app store and the cloud stuff won't work, but it's not strictly necessary

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
you can sign in to just the app store if you really want as well

although I have to give MS props for letting you get free stuff from the windows store without having to have an account at all (until now, probably)

mystes
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

although I have to give MS props for letting you get free stuff from the windows store without having to have an account at all (until now, probably)
I think they changed it to allow that a couple years ago and you originally had to log in even to get free apps, so I don't know why they would change it back again, but I guess if you have to log in anyway they might figure it doesn't matter.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 21, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, generally i cannot imagine a situation where "oh yeah, install windows 11, just don't create a microsoft account" doesn't add up to awful advice. microsoft has a lot of nonsense going on in windows 10/11, all very legit to be upset about and switch away over, but given that you don't escape that poo poo anyway local accounts were already bordering on a misfeature and it'd for sure only get worse over time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, generally i cannot imagine a situation where "oh yeah, install windows 11, just don't create a microsoft account" doesn't add up to awful advice. microsoft has a lot of nonsense going on in windows 10/11, all very legit to be upset about and switch away over, but given that you don't escape that poo poo anyway local accounts were already bordering on a misfeature and it'd for sure only get worse over time.
What advantage do you see for normal users to log in via a microsoft account?

If you use a microsoft account you can reset the password, but on the other hand.... I'm not entirely convinced it isn't better for most non-technical people to just not have a password on their account for a computer that they just keep at home (since it's not like it can be accessed remotely anyway)?

Forcing everyone to use drive encryption and storing the key in the microsoft account I guess is a higher default level of security, but like I'm not sure I want my extremely elderly grandfather to have to use a password/pin/fingerprint to log into his computer that has nothing on it and never leaves his home since I'm literally not sure he'll be able to handle that? They've already made it hard to install windows without a microsoft account so I'm not sure there's much point to actively make it impossible?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 21, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

They’ll be able to keep using their account when windows updates again next month.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

password recovery options a normal person can use, support for the whole windows hello infrastructure (e.g. biometrics and so on), there not being weird traps with turning on bitlocker, and over time, more and more poo poo that'll expect functionality like onedrive since 99% of users do have it. plus of course a bunch of stuff more clearly straddling the line of being os functionality and account stuff, like find my device.

most of which microsoft could fix if they really worked at it, but then it'd be a secondary set of functionality seeing very little use, and even with decent effort put in (which they wouldn't) it'd no doubt turn out buggy and harder to get support for.

i'd also view it as an upside that people then stop lying to themselves about running windows 11 while retaining some extra privacy thanks to not creating an account.

mystes
May 31, 2006

password recovery options a normal person can use, support for the whole windows hello infrastructure (e.g. biometrics and so on), there not being weird traps with turning on bitlocker, and over time, more and more poo poo that'll expect functionality like onedrive since 99% of users do have it. plus of course a bunch of stuff more clearly straddling the line of being os functionality and account stuff, like find my device.

most of which microsoft could fix if they really worked at it, but then it'd be a secondary set of functionality seeing very little use, and even with decent effort put in (which they wouldn't) it'd no doubt turn out buggy and harder to get support for.
They shouldn't force you to use stuff like onedrive (honestly they're clearly moving back to illegal bundling territory) and again... you don't necessarily password recovery or biometrics for a computer that's just sitting in your home if you just... don't set a password on it. It's more secure to have a password, but for a lot of people the risk of someone breaking into their home and stealing their computer is at the bottom of their concerns whereas they're extremely likely to manage to get locked out somehow accidentally.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

They shouldn't force you to use stuff like onedrive (honestly they're clearly moving back to illegal bundling territory) and again... you don't necessarily password recovery or biometrics for a computer that's just sitting in your home if you just... don't set a password on it. It's more secure to have a password, but for a lot of people the risk of someone breaking into their home and stealing their computer is at the bottom of their concerns.

this is, however, getting weighed against the advantages of local accounts: nothing whatsoever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

this is, however, getting weighed against the advantages of local accounts: nothing whatsoever.
I just said several times that the advantage if you use a local account is that you can just not have a password set for non-technical users on computers that never leave their homes.

There's also no online account to get stolen/hacked.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

I just said several times that the advantage if you use a local account is that you can just not have a password set for non-technical users on computers that never leave their homes.

i struggle, to say the least, to accept the ability to not set a password as an advantage.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Did you just advise a no-password setup and then double down on that being a security advantage?

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
i'm not looking forward to sharing a security boundary with microsoft and their spaghetti backend to authenticate to my home PC

spying on what processes i launch and what i click on is different than handling auth tokens

this was probably inevitable, it just sucks imo and users gonna thrash about changes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

02B6C4 posted:

i'm not looking forward to sharing a security boundary with microsoft and their spaghetti backend to authenticate to my home PC

spying on what processes i launch and what i click on is different than handling auth tokens

this was probably inevitable, it just sucks imo and users gonna thrash about changes

microsoft has been able to remotely push and run arbitrary code on your computer for 20 years.

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021

microsoft has been able to remotely push and run arbitrary code on your computer for 20 years.

outside of windows update, which can be controlled with gpo / sccm? legit asking

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

02B6C4 posted:

outside of windows update, which can be controlled with gpo / sccm? legit asking

especially if you don't update your os, since then your security boundary is everyone on the internet, which pretty trivially includes microsoft.

have you considered ubuntu?

mystes
May 31, 2006

tk posted:

Did you just advise a no-password setup and then double down on that being a security advantage?
For someone who isn't using full disk encryption and whose computer is not remotely accessible in any manner and is definitely going to forget their password and get locked out of their computer which also, as I said, never leaves their home that nobody else goes into, not setting a password does not really have a significant effect on security.

The advantage is that they aren't going to get locked out. I never said it was a "security" advantage (I didn't say that and neither did the question I was responding to).

If you disagree please feel free to explain what additional security is provided by an account password in this scenario (you think it's going to make UAC more secure? you think that someone's going to break into their house and have physical access to the computer but not be able to insert a usb drive to reset the password?).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the risk that an average computer user will say "that's me!", then enable bitlocker, change a firewall setting because mod nexus forums told them so, and finally take their laptop to the coffee shop that very afternoon.

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021

especially if you don't update your os, since then your security boundary is everyone on the internet, which pretty trivially includes microsoft.

have you considered ubuntu?

proton doesn't work well with DRM heavy games

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

02B6C4 posted:

proton doesn't work well with DRM heavy games

yeah, but hopefully keeps improving. to be clear i absolutely detest the way microsoft is messing about on the privacy front on windows, but requiring an account is not from my perspective the big issue there. given proper guarantees it actually mostly makes sense.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

For someone who isn't using full disk encryption and whose computer is not remotely accessible in any manner and is definitely going to forget their password and get locked out of their computer which also, as I said, never leaves their home that nobody else goes into, not setting a password does not really have a significant effect on security.

The advantage is that they aren't going to get locked out. I never said it was a "security" advantage (I didn't say that and neither did the question I was responding to).

If you disagree please feel free to explain what additional security is provided by an account password in this scenario (you think it's going to make UAC more secure? you think that someone's going to break into their house and have physical access to the computer but not be able to insert a usb drive to reset the password?).

The best reason you’ve got for keeping around local accounts is that you can avoid leaving a sticky note with the password under the keyboard?

On the other side of the ring you’ve got all sorts of simplified maintenance. I don’t like your chances in this fight.

mystes
May 31, 2006

tk posted:

The best reason you’ve got for keeping around local accounts is that you can avoid leaving a sticky note with the password under the keyboard?

On the other side of the ring you’ve got all sorts of simplified maintenance. I don’t like your chances in this fight.
Did I miss the part where you explained the additional security threat from not having a password set in the scenario I described?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just commit to the bit and wring your hands about people without an internet connection

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

WSA is really neat, especially the notification integration with standard desktop notifications

well you do have to use Magisk + OpenGApps to actually get normal android on it, but once you do it's quite good and works p. well

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
jesus

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I don’t know what any of that means. davinci resolve is free so doesn’t affect me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

is w11 still garbage?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

is w11 still garbage?

yep. well, it is ok (obv. would not make my top 10 of concerns in my life in 2022), just strictly worse than 10, which is real dumb.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

is w11 still garbage?

Yeah kinda, indicators are from the Insider builds that they're getting around to fixing a lot of the inconsistencies but you likely won't see most of them released into the public builds until later this year

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
what's an inbox app?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not much, what's inbox app with you?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

480p exports. doesn’t look like an iMovie killer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol

Love to pay Microsoft $9/month for cloud file storage when I already have 1TB from o365

I can't wait to sign up for a monthly Microsoft Paint cloud subscription to unlock the eraser tool

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 12, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

One of you windows nerds probably knows this. Is there any equivalent of screen or tmux for windows?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what those are, but if its a linux thing its probably not needed on windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

One of you windows nerds probably knows this. Is there any equivalent of screen or tmux for windows?

Yeah, it's called WSL and you can use any linux garbage you want.