Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
He didn't avoid it because Paul is honestly pretty lazy

Prescience has the same effect on a young man as video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Blood Boils posted:

Muad'Dweeb

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought there was also some plot point of the Guild Navigator Eldric or whatev was also helping to block the conspirators’ plan via his own usage of D U N C M A G I C

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

jeeves posted:

I thought there was also some plot point of the Guild Navigator Eldric or whatev was also helping to block the conspirators’ plan via his own usage of D U N C M A G I C

I've only read Messiah and Children one time each, but IIRC Paul's prescience made him aware of a plot, but not the specifics (about which he was often wrong). I remember it being fairly patchy even without Eldric, with Paul getting some things right like (major spoilers) Chani's death but totally missing that would he have two children.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 29, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Paul can't see the plotters plotting when they're with Edric, but the fact that he can't see them in those moments clues him into the existence of the plot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought the bomb was the same thing, like an atomic explosion has quantum properties or whatever that disguise it from his prescience. He knew that something was there that would happen but he couldn't see what.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Prescients in Dune cannot predict other prescients. Thats why the Guild navigator and those in his immediate presence are invisible to Paul. The other thing the plotters do is spread a divination practice called the " Dune Tarot" throughout the pilgrims on Arrakis. The pilgrims arent prescient like Paul but if enough of them use the Tarot (and they are using it near constantly) they are able to muddy Pauls prescience enough that the plotters can hide thing from him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

It is pretty much text that powerful prescients tend to suffer from ennui and depression in part because everything becomes so literally predictable for them. And been pointed out that they get pretty giddy and excited when things start to go off the rails, even if it results in their death, because it's finally something new happening.

Reminded of Jake Long: American Dragon of all things, which has a pair of oracle twins- one only foresees good things happening, the other only forsees bad things. The former is a dour goth who's used to having every pleasant surprise thoroughly spoiled for her beforehand, the latter is incredibly cheerful and friendly because any moment she's not seeing horrible things happening is fantastic in comparison.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going to go see this again tonight in the cinema. My first experience was a bit lackluster and I was too tired to really enjoy it.

update: i found out i have coronavirus and did not make it to dune

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 30, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

update: i found out i have coronavirus and did not make it to dune

sorry to hear that. hope you get better soon

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Just go see it in Florida. We're openly spreading that poo poo to each other down here and the governor is encouraging it!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Just watched this movie. Never read book, never saw any other versions. Amazing visuals and sounds. Old school pacing could definitely have been sped up without sacrificing anything. I felt like they were stretching out a short story to be honest, even though I know Dune is a dense book, it didn't feel like that. Either that's a testament to getting the points across visually and with as little dialogue as possible, like an old school movie, or they cut A LOT and maybe I lost out because of that. I'm a sci-fi fan and was getting bored about a third into it, and that never changed although the intense scenes did reel me back in, my gf was complaining the whole time, but she has 0 patience for movies and is not a sci-fi fan, so that was to be expected.

I am looking forward to the 2nd movie but I will probably never re-watch this. I am curious to read the book.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

:siren: Toilet Dune :siren:
https://youtu.be/kxkLaxC8nsQ

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Nitramster posted:

I felt like they were stretching out a short story to be honest, even though I know Dune is a dense book, it didn't feel like that. Either that's a testament to getting the points across visually and with as little dialogue as possible, like an old school movie, or they cut A LOT and maybe I lost out because of that. .

I am looking forward to the 2nd movie but I will probably never re-watch this. I am curious to read the book.

You nailed it with the comment about the visual language but also about how much exposition they cut out. Dune is a pretty great book, I'd recommend reading it for all the reasons everyone else says, but also specifically I think you'd like it because you can see what Villeneue did with such dense material (which will probably make you appreciate the movie more).

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 21, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/EHK5fBm1YWk

Elmo. DUNC.

I need this edit.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It is definitely an "old school movie" and I'm not sure why that phrase even exists because it is entirely synonymous with "good"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m completely clueless what you mean by “old” in this context.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Slower pacing and not desperately trying to keep the audience's attention with quips, probably.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It is definitely an "old school movie" and I'm not sure why that phrase even exists because it is entirely synonymous with "good"

I'm not as avid a movie goer as I used to be ,as I said my partner has no patience, so my viewing has gone WAY down. I'm also not even close to a critic, but I am referring to the pacing. Other "old school movies" that are not "good" in my opinion because they take so long would be "No Country for Old Men" or "There will be Blood."

On the flip side I liked "A History of Violence" and "A Most Violent Year" and I didn't realize how similar those titles were till just now when I was thinking of other slower burns that I enjoyed.

I think there is definitely a better term to use, I just can't think of one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slower pacing and not desperately trying to keep the audience's attention with quips, probably.

And for horror movies relying on constant jump scares!

Eason the Fifth posted:

You nailed it with the comment about the visual language but also about how much exposition they cut out. Dune is a pretty great book, I'd recommend reading it for all the reasons everyone else says, but also specifically I think you'd like it because you can see what Villeneue did with such dense material (which will probably make you appreciate the movie more).

I think I will try to carve some time between now and Part two to give it a read!

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2022

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nitramster posted:

Other "old school movies" that are not "good" in my opinion because they take so long would be "No Country for Old Men" or "There will be Blood."

I'm trying very hard to not have an aneurysm reading this sentence.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nightmare Cinema posted:

lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Famously not good and boring movie, No Country For Old Men.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's being said more and more that CD is loving wild

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm getting more thrown by calling those movies "old"

Jesus do we consider Titanic classic cinema now?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Titanic is older now than The Shining was when Titanic came out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aces High posted:

Not super related but reminds of how for collectible stuff it often generally goes
10 years old - retro
20~40 - classic
40~50s - vintage
50s+ - antique

Titanic is old and so are we

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I made a Thanos reference and the college kids at work were like “:lol: I was in middle school when that came out you old!”

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I made a Thanos reference and the college kids at work were like “:lol: I was in middle school when that came out you old!”

Dear Lord, although this timeline is a bit of a stretch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

porfiria posted:

Dear Lord, although this timeline is a bit of a stretch.

Infinity War was 4 years ago.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I just keep thinking about someone thinking No Country for Old Men is boring. This is haunting me.

Like, if that's not a good movie, can you imagine what this cat would think of like a Jim Jarmusch movie? If I put on Down by Law, would they and their wife be immediately put under a sleeping curse, their apartment slowly growing over with thorns and ivy, until Tom Holland awoke them with true love's kiss?

Can we pass the hat around for charity to get them to watch Lamb?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
He phrased it as 'movies that take so long,' and I kind of see what he's getting at. Slow isn't necessarily the same as boring. Almost everything with Roger Deakins on cinematography is slow. I loving love that approach but it isn't for everyone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Do you know any… uhh… people? Or have you watched television?
I don’t want to get into elitist poo poo, but NCFOM is not going to be a beloved bit of cinema for most people.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Aces High posted:

They didn't just say "old" but "old school", which makes even less sense because it's not Old School (2003).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Arglebargle III posted:

Titanic is older now than The Shining was when Titanic came out.

But... if Titanic is old and The Shining is older and I'm only one year younger than The Shining, what does that make me?

:ohdear:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grendels Dad posted:

But... if Titanic is old and The Shining is older and I'm only one year younger than The Shining, what does that make me?

:ohdear:

the same age as me :(:hf::(

The one that really sends me further to the grave is that Jurassic Park was released closer to the moon landing than today’s date. I learned that factoid a while back so you can pick an even newer movie for it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
For whatever reason, 1996 is the start of when I still mentally categorise films as "the new movie". So next year the new movie Independence Day will be closer to the moon landings than to the present. The year after that will be the Star Wars special editions, which are already older than the originals were when the special editions were made

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fun fact, comparing the closeness of events in the past to the present is a surefire way to make sure everyone knows you are an old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Modern movies do feel incredibly frenetic and hastily edited, even when they're not marvel style frantic quip-fests, so when a movie like Dune comes along with lots of sedate sweeping shots I don't blame someone for characterising it as old-school.