Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Vinylshadow posted:

People can learn Binary

We're not told or really shown how

But they can learn it

Chopper sometimes spouts actual words compared to Artoo's litany of computer noises or BB8's bweeps and bwoops

But a good half of those words are "motherfucking/motherfucker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

tribbledirigible posted:

But a good half of those words are "motherfucking/motherfucker".

The other half is often some variation of "why don't we just blow it up"/"I've already planted the explosives, let's go"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Adventure Journal was a rad idea you wouldn’t get today but also admittedly you wouldn’t need to do today because you could just post the small odds and ends up online. Which doesn’t mean it’s not still a cool idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vinylshadow posted:

People can learn Binary

But they can learn it

Chopper sometimes spouts actual words compared to Artoo's litany of computer noises or BB8's bweeps and bwoops

Let's be honest; Chopper's line is probably why newer models don't sometimes spout actual words anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean, he just completely saved Boba’s rear end six ways from Sunday, they are absolutely setting them up as having Din’s back in the upcoming Mandalore battle

yeah. i think my issue with fett was its kinda clear the creators had no idea what they wanted. did they wanted to be sopranos but boba fett or mando 2.5 or dancing with tuskins. cad bane comes in way way too late, too much time is spent with the tuskins, no time is spent with the crime politics, the loving hutts should have been the villians. that whole red wedding scene at the end would have been great if i gave a poo poo and they built up to it better.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

They linked to an article showing that guy SPECIFICALLY does that. You can easily see the filter look in them.

"Here is the first frame that came up. I used it as reference to make a little 3D render and paintover to show you how I might use something like this for a concept piece."

So this artist is using renders and art then does a paintover on them.

Get out out of their rear end.

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears: Jesus christ.

Like, it's a thing and super noticeable:

Late, but this has been the state of concept art for years now. There's even a talk that I believe it's called "the death of concept art" that talks a bit about this. Being a concept artist for an AAA gamedev sometimes means taking a bunch of google images results of different 3d stuff, or photos, and painting on top of it.

Or if you're unlucky, iy meant doing the concept, fully 3D modeling say, the ship you created, adding more details to it than the final product would have (especially in the case of a game), then painting over it and never using the ultra-detailed high-poly but probably unoptimized asset you created through a full 3D pipeline. That's the job of the 3D artists later on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Robot Style posted:

He did a twitter thread last year about his home library, which includes some of that stuff:
https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1406042632367738881?s=20&t=eMP41BPPL_e3JIMC7HArcQ

Gonk spotted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

The Adventure Journal was a rad idea you wouldn’t get today but also admittedly you wouldn’t need to do today because you could just post the small odds and ends up online. Which doesn’t mean it’s not still a cool idea.
TBH a lot of it is still carrying on in spirit via the Insider magazine. A surprisingly large portion of it wass "some big name author threw out a short story" with a set of statblocks at the end if you wanted to use the characters and locations for a game. Some of it is great and digs into the mechanics of covertly supplying an insurgency in weird sci-fi settings, some of it is abject trash where someone reskins their weird Anne Rice fanfic as a "dark Jedi" and nothing makes any sense at all.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think my issue with fett was its kinda clear the creators had no idea what they wanted. did they wanted to be sopranos

Blue milk? Ovah heeeeaaaah

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like this show got about as dark & gritty as Disney really allows for in its flagship properties. I was pretty surprised to see stuff like drug trafficking so openly discussed in a Disney show.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vinylshadow posted:

People can learn Binary

But they can learn it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibahqzkwvXk

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I feel like that's the kind of thing you film to throw on the DVD extras as a "deleted scene" when you know your fans will take everything literally and you just want to mess with them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Being part droid should give you the ability to understand droid to some degree

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The United States posted:

Being part droid should give you the ability to understand droid to some degree

The beeps from my microwave all make sense now that I've got a pacemaker.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
You'd think after how stupid-sounding the few droids that could talk ended up being, we wouldn't be talking about this at all.

Roger Roger!/etc.

Except for the assassination droids like HK-47. But those were one-offs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We're all agreed that Dark Troopers talk in electronic dubstep, right?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You'd think after how stupid-sounding the few droids that could talk ended up being, we wouldn't be talking about this at all.

Roger Roger!/etc.

...protocol droids?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

...protocol droids?

Presumably aside from them because figure the droids whose only job it is to facilitate communication would be good at understandable speech - even if they're otherwise deeply irritating.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Can’t believe this show had a character named Mayor Mok Shaiz

Mayor McCheese

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I want to know how the gently caress you people are pronouncing cheese.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GOM MEH A CHEZ BORGOR WOT NAW POCKLES PALEZ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Roger Roger!/etc.

Battle Droids are remote-controlled drones for the most part, they're not meant to be bright by design. Just follow orders and win battles in large numbers of cheap disposable footsoldiers.

Droids in general are also learning machines, the newer they are (or recently-wiped) the dumber they are. The ones that have been around a while get a lot more cunning and conversational.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Battle Droids are remote-controlled drones for the most part, they're not meant to be bright by design. Just follow orders and win battles in large numbers of cheap disposable footsoldiers.

Droids in general are also learning machines, the newer they are (or recently-wiped) the dumber they are. The ones that have been around a while get a lot more cunning and conversational.

And sometimes murderous *cough*Chopper*cough*

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

gregday posted:

Can’t believe this show had a character named Mayor Mok Shaiz

Mayor McCheese

:golfclap:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i wonder if hk47 will ever meet ig88 .... ??? that wold be cool. or maybe if they did battle at first but then joined forces. what if scout was there.. but she was like 35.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Why the gently caress didn't they leave that in the movie?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
After watching Droids,
C3p0 is that one guy at your game that's playing fate, earning a @#$#@ ton of fate points by making things worse before he pulls a total success out of his rear end by spending them all at the same time.

edit: and we need an episode in Mandelorean season 3 where Din needs Uncle Boba and Aunt Fennic to babysit Grogu. Those Maori eyes of Temuera would be comedy gold in such a situation. :D

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 22, 2022

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

unlimited shrimp posted:

Finally watched the first episode and I'm scratching my head as to how they made the character so generic and bland. He doesn't act or think like someone with his particular background. It's like if a videogame NPC suddenly found themselves as the main character.

It's the curse of Disney wanting to have it both ways - A show about the leader of a criminal syndicate, but the protagonist cannot do anything particularly objectionable. So we have a criminal overlord who never uses assasination, threats, or violence except in self defense. Always shows mercy to people who were trying to kill him 5 minutes ago because executions would be just a liiiiitle too raw for a Disney franchise. Peaky Blinders this is not. Hell, he never even has a 'Han Shot First' moment that firmly lands him in a 'morally gray' zone. Mostly he just reacts to actions taken against him.

Frankly I have no idea why Boba wanted to become the Daimyo of Mos Espa in the first place, but I can see why the writers might. It establishes A Role for him in a familiar environment, it's just....he's really bad at it. I guess they couldn't just make him a Bounty Hunter for fear of just being The Mandalorian 2.0.

All that said I did like how they fleshed out the Tusken Raiders, right up until they fridged the whole camp. But my god I hate the Power Rangers biker gang. Boba with a gang of dickensian cyborg street-urchin toughs could be a decent plot hook. Hell, maybe their prosthetics were the result of injuries sustained during labour or imposed on them, that would be metal as gently caress. But no, they're Teenagers With Attitude who CAN afford top-shelf cyborg prosthetics for kicks and shiny chrome space-Vespas, but not, y'know, water.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 23, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McKilligan posted:

It's the curse of Disney wanting to have it both ways - A show about the leader of a criminal syndicate, but the protagonist cannot do anything particularly objectionable. So we have a criminal overlord who never uses assasination, threats, or violence except in self defense. Always shows mercy to people who were trying to kill him 5 minutes ago because executions would be just a liiiiitle too raw for a Disney franchise. Peaky Blinders this is not. Hell, he never even has a 'Han Shot First' moment that firmly lands him in a 'morally gray' zone. Mostly he just reacts to actions taken against him.
Fennec killing the mayor was one of the only times I think they actually got the tone right for the crime lord stuff.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

McKilligan posted:

Power Rangers biker gang.

alright, whens the high budget gritty power rangers coming? i will personally direct if need be. also write. thank you.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Smythe posted:

alright, whens the high budget gritty power rangers coming? i will personally direct if need be. also write. thank you.

It came out like 5 years ago

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

It came out like 5 years ago

i didnt like that movie so much. had a lot of potential and ultimately pissed me off. had some good parts tho. idk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the power armor from the og mmpr movie looked way cooler. so did the zords.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

McKilligan posted:

Frankly I have no idea why Boba wanted to become the Daimyo of Mos Espa in the first place, but I can see why the writers might. It establishes A Role for him in a familiar environment, it's just....he's really bad at it. I guess they couldn't just make him a Bounty Hunter for fear of just being The Mandalorian 2.0.

All that said I did like how they fleshed out the Tusken Raiders, right up until they fridged the whole camp. But my god I hate the Power Rangers biker gang. Boba with a gang of dickensian cyborg street-urchin toughs could be a decent plot hook. Hell, maybe their prosthetics were the result of injuries sustained during labour or imposed on them, that would be metal as gently caress. But no, they're Teenagers With Attitude who CAN afford top-shelf cyborg prosthetics for kicks and shiny chrome space-Vespas, but not, y'know, water.

Space Vespas and droid parts are cheap on Tatooine. Water very much is not.

As for Boba's ambitions, I don't have problem figuring them out. Let's start with "My last job for Jabba ended with me getting digested, losing my armor and becoming a slave." And best part of this is that it wasn't the result of some terrible plot or betrayal by Jabba. It happened because Jabba had to be a big, fat drama queen who hauled his prisoners and court out to the Sarlacc instead of either letting them go or just loving murdering them with overwhelming numbers. So that's the seed of "You know, maybe poo poo like that wouldn't happen to me if I was the one in charge."

So Boba earns a place in the Sand People tribe after a few years. When the train comes he's eager to help the people who have accepted him. Tactically it works great. Train stopped. Pykes humbled. Ongoing tribute and respect for the Sand People's sovereignty over their ancestral lands obtained. Strategically, he and his tribe pimp-slapped a wealthy, powerful, intergalactic crime syndicate and yeah, of course they're going to murder the gently caress out of the tribe that "insulted" them. And blame it on the rear end in a top hat bikers because why the gently caress not?

Eventually he teams with Fennac to get his ship and armor back then wastes Bib Fortuna to take over Jabba's palace and Mos Espa. Why? Figure partly because he still kind of blames Jabba for getting him digested/robbed/enslaved. And figure Bib Fortuna likely encouraged that drama queen BS because it let him play Master of Ceremonies. So gently caress him, he dies.

Ultimately Boba wants to be a daimyo, but more in the Japanese feudal lord sense than the Tatooine crime lord sense. He wants to be in charge of an admittedly limited territory that he can protect. This is basically his retirement plan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Smythe posted:

i didnt like that movie so much. had a lot of potential and ultimately pissed me off. had some good parts tho. idk

As we say in the MMPR thread here on the IV everything about that movie was great except when it came to Ranger stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Smythe posted:

look, if the power rangers trying to beat the poo poo out of rita with a pipe wrench and dying when that fails isn't gritty enough, I don't know what is

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Katie Sackhoff Jimmy Van der beek rangers short was great but I don’t think anyone could sit through two hours of that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Power/Rangers Bootleg short only works as a parody of dark and gritty reboots, you couldn't actually make 2 hours of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDKR_2HqymU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There is very minimal difference between aristocratic land tenure and the mafia protection rackets. Hell, the show directly equates them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i agree with every power rangers quote above. also i thought the shattered grid fake(?) trailer was sick tho