Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

good lord I hate that poo poo. I was doing some heavy migration stuff last Fall, and every single goddamn page library I had to change the display date to normal and not "friendly"

you can't loving compare dates when one's a real format and the other is "Monday" or "7 days ago", let alone trying to do it in both French and English

“Next Thursday”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yospos ux thread: actually gimp is fine

thats right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've spent tens of hours trying to use gimp in the past year, and it remains unredeemable garbage. i would have been saved significant time and effort over the past two decades had it never existed at all.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've spent tens of hours trying to use gimp in the past year, and it remains unredeemable garbage. i would have been saved significant time and effort over the past two decades had it never existed at all.

:qq:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sounds like youre a baby, have you tried using the application "paint"?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haven't checked in a bit, but very likely blender is a better image editor than the gimp by now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
paint.net is a better alternative if you're on windows

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

photoshop is actually one of the best adobe products. it is kinda bloated like everything else, but it doesn't have all that many bugs and they don't gently caress with the core functionality. it does the job and nothing else quite gets to the same level. there's nothing wrong with photoshop other than adobe's licensing.

it's all the other adobe products that are hot garbage.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
when i did a friendly mode for a voice prompt, I did everything at .5 granularity and used “almost” and “about”

1: 1
1.1: about 1
1.3: almost 1.5
1.5: 1.5
1.8: almost 2
2.2: about 2

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I’ve shamefully come crawling back to Adobe because nothing else can really compete with them on feature-by-feature basis, and I use a lot of these little features. Not even Adobe themselves. How many times have they tried to bring photoshop and illustrator to iPad? This time it’s supposed to be “for real,” but both iPad versions are very, very cut down from their desktop counterparts. Affinity is the closest, but they’ve basically stopped introducing new features and pulled down their roadmap from their website.

Blender UI has gotten loads and loads better (I would say it’s the best open source project thats an actual app and not just some math library) but it’s still pretty bad. Something like C4D is better (but not $100 a month better, lol) but Blender can actually compete with the none-free 3D software on features. Like there is a bounty of training materials and the Evee rendering engine is pretty much unmatched. I know there are paid real-time rendering engines but I’ve never heard of anyone actually using them, only trying to use Unreal Engine for real time motion graphics.

So yeah I guess I’m one of those people who is always requesting new features and then other people wonder how software gets so bloated.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unreal engine is a an amazing tool as far as what you can create in it, but it’s UI feels clunky. I need to go use it to give some examples

one thing is that with most tools you can get to a
competent state, and once you’re there you can make decent judgemental calls as to what’s bad, and what’s good

blender for example has a tool menu thing. like a cad program, every function can be run from a console so this makes every function searchable. I have space bar set to bringing up the tool search so i don’t have to hunt for tools. this menu could do with some effort as far as remembering commonly used functions and more flexibility in the search but it’s very good

and like if you’re selecting and merging vertices for example, you press the hot key and a menu appears under the mouse cursor and gives you five options and every subsequent time the menu will have moved so the last selected option is under the cursor. these kinds of UI tricks are such a pleasure and I appreciate

when I was in affinity photo, I wanted a tool but i had to
google to find out what menu it was in. never necessary in blender coz of the search thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Blender UI has gotten loads and loads better (I would say it’s the best open source project thats an actual app and not just some math library)

i think blender probably has the best ratio of UI quality to software complexity for an open-source project. there are plenty of simpler open-source tools that have better UIs. the best i can say about blender is that it's very dense at first but in a logical way, and it's very powerful once you understand its workflow, which makes it no worse than any other 3d modeling program.

Pulcinella posted:

So yeah I guess I’m one of those people who is always requesting new features and then other people wonder how software gets so bloated.

i don't think that having a lot of features makes something bloated. bloat happens when you add features without organizing them appropriately, so they clutter up the interface or slow the system down even when you aren't using them.

rhino is a great example of a feature-packed but highly unbloated software. here is a partial list of the selection tools:

you don't need to know or use 97% of those to be able to use the program, so they are hidden in the command line instead of being crammed into toolbars. but when you're an advanced user and you are like "drat, selecting every face on this giant face loop is killing me, i wish there was a shortcut" -- it's right there. the UI never gets more cluttered and the program doesn't bog down with 500 checkboxes that load every time you open the selection tool. it's always smooth and responsive. ❤🦏

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

unreal engine is a an amazing tool as far as what you can create in it, but it’s UI feels clunky. I need to go use it to give some examples

one thing is that with most tools you can get to a
competent state, and once you’re there you can make decent judgemental calls as to what’s bad, and what’s good

blender for example has a tool menu thing. like a cad program, every function can be run from a console so this makes every function searchable. I have space bar set to bringing up the tool search so i don’t have to hunt for tools. this menu could do with some effort as far as remembering commonly used functions and more flexibility in the search but it’s very good

and like if you’re selecting and merging vertices for example, you press the hot key and a menu appears under the mouse cursor and gives you five options and every subsequent time the menu will have moved so the last selected option is under the cursor. these kinds of UI tricks are such a pleasure and I appreciate

when I was in affinity photo, I wanted a tool but i had to
google to find out what menu it was in. never necessary in blender coz of the search thing

yo check this out:
1. download Raycast. it's a free spotlight replacement that's really awesome.
2. preferences → extensions → search 'menu'
3. next to 'Search Menu Items', click Hotkey and define your own hotkey, whatever u want
4. now in *any* application, hit your shortcut and you can search for any enabled menu item

power of the mac baby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that does sound pretty cool. if only I used my mac for anything worthwhile

Sagebrush posted:

you don't need to know or use 97% of those to be able to use the program, so they are hidden in the command line instead of being crammed into toolbars.

one of the biggest burdens blender is left with is that it might have powerful selection options (or something else that’s just an example) but if you look for them and end up googling for them you’ll just have a bunch of “press h then j then ctrl-backflip” due to the nature of the blender community. suffers the same fate that linux does in that a million users use it a million different ways and so the lack of feeling like there is a one true way to use it I reckon is not a good thing. can’t really articulate why but that’s my opinion

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

that does sound pretty cool. if only I used my mac for anything worthwhile

one of the biggest burdens blender is left with is that it might have powerful selection options (or something else that’s just an example) but if you look for them and end up googling for them you’ll just have a bunch of “press h then j then ctrl-backflip” due to the nature of the blender community. suffers the same fate that linux does in that a million users use it a million different ways and so the lack of feeling like there is a one true way to use it I reckon is not a good thing. can’t really articulate why but that’s my opinion

yah i kinda agree with this. people will often tell you the buttons they use to do something instead of telling you what theyre doing, and most things have at least 2-3 ways to do them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sweet, can't wait

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/yourolly/status/1511313444871487495

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

is there a way it could fire both?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

smoke veed every day

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the new electric hummer runs android and uses unreal engine to render the ui. it looks like this

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
oh cool, climate-control buttons with no tactile feedback

that's exactly what I want to gently caress around with while driving

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

tbf i think those are physical switches under the labels. its poo poo but not tesla-level bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the sliver bits below the text are buttons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKOWsU2F2Vc&t=594s

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

the new electric hummer runs android and uses unreal engine to render the ui. it looks like this

love it. reminds me of the world book encyclopedia on CD-ROM that came with the family computer in 1998

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jenny Agutter posted:

computers for MEN

dude menus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

this looks like the macromedia director poo poo I was doing in 1996

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

light font weight on a foamy textured background, great legibility choices all around

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poopernickel posted:

tactical climate control buttons

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i'll be the one full-color icon in a row of outline icons because BRAND GUIDELINES

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carry on then posted:

i'll be the one full-color icon in a row of outline icons because BRAND GUIDELINES

for the emergency (double parked) blinkers?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

tactical climate control buttons

gettin ready to go loud on the bun warmers

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Truman Peyote posted:

love it. reminds me of the world book encyclopedia on CD-ROM that came with the family computer in 1998

also Civ II

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im the google pin icon they were forced to leave unstyled for branding/terms of use purposes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then already is that.

and that's FINE because any number of people can be any number of things. it's totally fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

polyester concept posted:

im the google pin icon they were forced to leave unstyled for branding/terms of use purposes

truly we respect The Brand

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
every single thing in the instrument cluster infuriates me

Why are there inscrutable pictograms when you have an entire goddamn screen?
Why is there a black outline on the green READY icon in the upper right, and on nothing else?
Why are there notches cut out of the bottom corners?
If you wanted some cool terrain graphics, why not just use USGS topo maps?
Why do only some things have drop shadows?
Why did they chose a font where all the glyphs look the same for the use case where you need to be able to discern things at a quick glance?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The crab is good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
maximum lol that they are going to every effort to maximize the K/D ratio by going with the shift selector design that killed Anton Yelchin