Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The stinger with Banner trying to analyse the rings drove me up the wall. "They're not vibranium....Chitauri?"

Nothing vibranian or chitauri resembles these rings in any way. They've just put them in the script because they have name recognition, but it makes Banner look like a complete idiot who is just listing the first two weird tech things that come to mind.

Because Banner only knows about one single scientific curiosity in the universe, and if he said, "I don't think they're emitting gamma radiation," everyone would have gotten one step closer to realizing he's a complete academic fraud who's skated by on one experiment that was technically a failure.

poo poo, I bet Cap didn't mean to go back and live his best life at the end of Endgame, it was Banner pressing the wrong buttons while trying to act as though he knew what he was doing with the time machine. At least Ant-man had seen it work before, let him do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbf gamma rays provably don't make you smarter, in fact the opposite

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I want a hulk comic where hulk is the smarter one and banner is anti-vax.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That sounds like my Jekyll and Hyde concept with Tom Waits as the cruel and reckless Dr. Jekyll, who takes a potion of his own devising attempting to make himself stronger, but awakens the kind and gentle Mr. Hyde (played by Ron Perlman).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Isn't that sort of The Leader? Got hit with funniest gamma rays but just made his brain all big.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Oh, so Banner want polio to make comeback? Banner ssh. Adult talking now."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Baron von Eevl posted:

That sounds like my Jekyll and Hyde concept with Tom Waits as the cruel and reckless Dr. Jekyll, who takes a potion of his own devising attempting to make himself stronger, but awakens the kind and gentle Mr. Hyde (played by Ron Perlman).

i would absolutely watch this

can someone call someone to make this happen?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Jeckyll and Hyde musical had David Hasselhoff playing Jeckyll and Hyde. He couldn't sing that well, but he tried bless. He was so earnest, he gave it his all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deRHOecL8Gw

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Gamma Ray is the greatest metal band that has ever existed so

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've never seen Dracula Dead and Loving It before

How is Young Frankenstein so good and this so bad

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Len posted:

It's so bad I always forget that it's even a mel brooks movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Armacham posted:

It's so bad I always forget that it's even a mel brooks movie.

It's a comedy with Leslie Nielsen and I haven't laughed at him yet. How do you make a comedy and have him be unfunny

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Len posted:

It's a comedy with Leslie Nielsen and I haven't laughed at him yet.

Surely you can't be serious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

22 years and trying to dip from the same well too many times. Brooks fell off a cliff after History of the World Part One, literally becoming a parody of himself.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spaceballs extended Brooks' relevance but I felt that Robin Hood: Men in Tights was the last straw.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I can't stand Mel Brooks films. I never could. I'm sorry, I lied about it. Every time I said Ludicrous speed! and we all laughed, inside I just hated myself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

I can't stand Mel Brooks films. I never could. I'm sorry, I lied about it. Every time I said Ludicrous speed! and we all laughed, inside I just hated myself.

I just never found Spaceballs funny from what I saw of it (never sat through the whole movie but saw clips online) probably partially because I never really cared about Star Wars as a franchise. Blazing Saddles was fun though, as was Young Frankenstein. Those are probably the only Mel Brooks movies I actually saw.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mel Brooks made one mediocre film after constant bangers and then stopped making movies I think that's a pretty good way to do it.

Also he voiced someone in Toy Story 4 named "Melephant Brooks".

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Late Brooks, eh, I liked that one where he played hitler. I didn’t like Life Stinks.

But man if you have even a passing familiarity with Hitchcock, High Anxiety is AMAZING.

Edit: the Curb Your Enthusiasm arc he did was bonkers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

Mel Brooks made one mediocre film after constant bangers and then stopped making movies I think that's a pretty good way to do it.

Also he voiced someone in Toy Story 4 named "Melephant Brooks".

History of the world Part 2 comes out this year

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I was a very stupid child and wondered when part 2 was going to be made.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Remulak posted:

Late Brooks, eh, I liked that one where he played hitler. I didn’t like Life Stinks.

But man if you have even a passing familiarity with Hitchcock, High Anxiety is AMAZING.

Edit: the Curb Your Enthusiasm arc he did was bonkers.

High Anxiety is way underappreciated imo

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Maturity is recognizing Brooks peaked before Spaceballs, which came out when most of us were kids, guaranteeing at least some nostalgia goggles; but it's an all right movie anyway. I'll even defend Men in Tights.

Dracula: Dead and Loving It... Well, at least it has that blood-gushing scene.

Also:

Armacham posted:

High Anxiety is way underappreciated imo

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Spaceballs is generously described as incredibly patchy but the whole "when will then be now?" bit is never not funny to me. Also "what's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?" :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Keromaru5 posted:

Dracula: Dead and Loving It... Well, at least it has that blood-gushing scene.

Peter MacNicol is a great renfield though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
All this talk about Mel Brooks, and no one mentions The Producers?

I have never seen the opening to Springtime for Hitler without cackling, and I have seen that film A LOT.

Like all the ways Blazing Saddles criticized racism, there is something incredibly brilliant about the concept of a Nazi musical. Not only in the context of the film, where the joke is that this is without a doubt the most horrible production you can think of, but also because by comparing big fascist pomp and circumstance with the corny choreography of a Broadway musical it is impossible to take all those parades and poo poo serious ever again. It takes the things that nazis are incredibly vain about and turns it into one of the best gags ever. To me, it is the perfect form of comedy striking back.

EDIT: To stick with the thread, the musical version of the film fucks up by losing the original ending and just meandering on with an entirely unnecessary fourth act. Also, no Hitler audition!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Netflix Texas Chainsaw Massacre - are we supposed to identify with the main “good” characters? God, what a bunch of insufferable pricks. From the very outset of the movie I’m actively rooting against them.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

All this talk about Mel Brooks, and no one mentions The Producers?

I have never seen the opening to Springtime for Hitler without cackling, and I have seen that film A LOT.

Like all the ways Blazing Saddles criticized racism, there is something incredibly brilliant about the concept of a Nazi musical. Not only in the context of the film, where the joke is that this is without a doubt the most horrible production you can think of, but also because by comparing big fascist pomp and circumstance with the corny choreography of a Broadway musical it is impossible to take all those parades and poo poo serious ever again. It takes the things that nazis are incredibly vain about and turns it into one of the best gags ever. To me, it is the perfect form of comedy striking back.

EDIT: To stick with the thread, the musical version of the film fucks up by losing the original ending and just meandering on with an entirely unnecessary fourth act. Also, no Hitler audition!

I was never happier when I saw an interview with Mel Brooks stating that was his entire mission. Man's work dropped off a bit, sure, but he seems like a real good guy who used his power for good instead of the typical.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The original Producers is, of course, a classic. I didn't care much for the movie version of the musical, mostly because it felt like the actors were performing for the stage while the camera was trying to make a movie. Later on I saw a live show with a local cast (I recognized Leo from my former church's choir) and had a blast. The guy who played Max even reminded me more of Mel than either Mostel or Lane. But since Brooks didn't direct the movie remake I won't hold it against him.

Will Ferrell was good as Franz, though.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Netflix Texas Chainsaw Massacre - are we supposed to identify with the main “good” characters? God, what a bunch of insufferable pricks. From the very outset of the movie I’m actively rooting against them.

I haven't heard very good things about the new TCM but commonly you are supposed to be rooting against the "protagonists" of slasher movies

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Most of them are annoying in the original TCM too, especially the guy in the wheelchair who is also the only one who gets chainsaw massacred.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Man's work dropped off a bit

Yeah, well, a lot of people slacked on killing Nazis after WWII, so I can't fault him for making movies later.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I was never happier when I saw an interview with Mel Brooks stating that was his entire mission.
I'm going to quote Lindsay Ellis and say that, in a world full of satire/critiques that are embraced by the people who should feel criticized by it - because it depicts them as unintentionally cool (see: American History X) - you know what you don't see Nazis appropriate?

Springtime for Hitler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

EDIT: I've been sharing a lot of her videos recently but I'm irrationally irritated that she was ran off the Web by an army of online idiots.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Feb 22, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Len posted:

Late Mel Brooks is truly godawful. That homeless movie he made, (Life Stinks(?)) was a proper clunker.

He is an example of "how the mighty have fallen". Coz his early work is so good. Blazing Saddles, the 1000 year old man stuff with Carl Reiner, I even like High Anxiety, and little kid me loved History of the World Part 1. But his later work is awful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I adored Men in Tights when I was a kid; I think it's pitched exactly right for a certain age of kid to love. It's very bad but there are little moments from it that still pop up and make me amused decades later. The guy illustrating how narrow the river is by hopping back and forth over it still tickles me. But yeah it's not good, it's way too on-the-nose and obvious and the jokes land so badly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

somepartsareme posted:

I haven't heard very good things about the new TCM but commonly you are supposed to be rooting against the "protagonists" of slasher movies

As a horror fan I get that they aren’t always great people making great choices, but usually there’s at least one person I like or at least can identify with. In the 2003 TCM remake, I actually like pretty much all the protagonist characters. I also like all the antagonists so that one is a win-win for me.

In this new one I just feel like they’re these gross exploded caricatures of liberal influencers and at one point I felt myself on the side of the over-the-top coal rolling redneck.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
As a Swede it's funny reading about how they made Mel Brooks change the title from Springtime for Hitler to The Producers... because the Swedish title wasn't changed, just translated. Leading to the majority of his films being released as "Springtime for <thing>" in Sweden. For example: "Springtime for World History" (History of the World, Part I) and "Springtime for Space" (Spaceballs).

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I adored Men in Tights when I was a kid; I think it's pitched exactly right for a certain age of kid to love. It's very bad but there are little moments from it that still pop up and make me amused decades later. The guy illustrating how narrow the river is by hopping back and forth over it still tickles me. But yeah it's not good, it's way too on-the-nose and obvious and the jokes land so badly.

I have not revisited the film since I was 12, but this still occasionally pops into my head.

"And the cat?"
"...choked on the goldfish."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

The only memorable joke for me was "Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent". Which is, as you say, way too on the nose, and certainly no patch on "Blucher!" or "Let's play chess".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

somepartsareme posted:

In good slashers I always root for the protagonists.
I only root for the killer in trash slashers, be it good trash (Jason X) or bad trash (TCM'22)