Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

well there's always the tabletop game

man, GPUs really HAVE gotten expensive if that's the cheaper option nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Why does nurgle have such a big gap in their units? I was looking at the other chaos stuff and they've got themes going on but not such a bad roster.

Nurgle wasn't a standalone faction in the tabletop game, so there's not a ton of unit variety to build on unless they make something up whole cloth.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I'm still having fun because I'm 100% operating on the understanding that every modern CA launch has been a buggy unbalanced mess that's fixed in time. I just personally view playing right now as just dicking around until the real game gets pieced together over time like everything else they've done in recent years. Still a better launch than Rome 2 lmao.

Also there's a literal tool tip on the loading screen for chaos dwarfs so I'd be surprised if they're not the first DLC or close to it. Personally I'm really hoping for Dogs of War as they were one of the only factions I played in my few experiences with the tabletop game. gently caress chaos, bears, ogres, etc; give me pike + shot while I throw soup bowls to protect my treasure chest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I don't think auto-resolve for sieges takes towers into consideration at all though. One or two turns of sieging worth of attrition can turn a defeat into an easy win for the auto-resolve.

About Kislev: I've had two false starts now and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be a fun, challenging campaign, were it not for the Realm of Chaos mechanic.
I don't really see a way how I can send Katarin's army off to fetch a soul. When I do, the one other army I can afford can't really fight the multiple fronts with Norscans, various demons and that one Ulricdamned Empire faction that backstabbed me in one campaign.:argh:
By the time Katarin comes back, she has a nasty trait with something like -20 control, so she's useless for a bunch more turns because everywhere she goes I just get more rebellions.
How many rifts in are you talking about? I'm admittedly only on my 1st one on my second try as Katarin but it's working out well so far and I haven't felt pressured to need her. When she comes back I'm planning on making Manny gently caress off (currently thinking about taking and just giving the province, maybe keeping Drakenhof, to the dumbass Ostermarkers) and confederate Erengrad, ideally both before the next set of rifts.

Basically: you want to only recruit basic kossars, and you can do that without a recruitment building. Kislev itself should get the market green building and the two +growth green building (and you'll demolish one of them one you're upgraded to t3, though I haven't decided whether the -recruit cost or -building cost and time is better). I blitzed the Roppsmenn and killed the ogre tribe that settles near Jakova. Rushing Praag was a bit dicey timing-wise, and I probably should have gotten another boyar earlier. But I recruited one as soon as i took the eastern oblast and started building up another army. That was enough to keep the Baersonlings off me while Katarin took Praag and then turn back to finish the Baersonlings in the northern oblast off with the help of my second stack. I confederated the Kislev faction up that way too. I probably should have taken out the Baersonlings first and then moved to Praag but oh well.

Then the rifts popped up, with Praag and two oblasts under my control and two stacks of mostly kossars. Sent Katarin to the rifts and the other guy to close. Also could have sacked/razed the Baersonlings north but the Dwarfs were beating me to it.

The plan for both oblasts is to have two settlements of church/market, one of both recruitment buildings, and one of farm/grove. Resources probably replace a church. The purpose of all of this is to get maximum money for kossar spam.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kinda disappointed that the skill and tech trees are all so bland, feels like a step back from game 2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda disappointed that the skill and tech trees are all so bland, feels like a step back from game 2.
The red line and some blue line skills are definitely less impactful than they were which I mostly like. They are still useful and strong but not as near-mandatory as before. Red lines feel like they are 50-75% as powerful as before.

Overall they seem to have turned down a bit of power creep.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

An ironic name for a Khorne worshipper.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

that's just a jerboa, very common in the desert

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

The red line and some blue line skills are definitely less impactful than they were which I mostly like. They are still useful and strong but not as near-mandatory as before. Red lines feel like they are 50-75% as powerful as before.

They did so now you get lord traits like "3+ to bonus charge" and tech trees like Cathay where at the final tier you get an amazing -3% upkeep to (yang) armies.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

that's just a jerboa, very common in the desert

And the fellows in her army are merely Bretonnians.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ravenfood posted:

It's not just that they're weaker, there's just less to them in general. Who cares about -10% recruitment cost for one specific unit, or +3 charge bonus for this other unit. There's so much trash

Edit: Apparently some of the tech skills are flat out useless, as one gives vanguard to a khorne unit that has vanguard to start with.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Cons: whoever designed this Tzeench realm of chaos deserves a slap in the head

Pros: I have 2 Hellpit abominations and 2 warpfire cannons in my chaos armies and I've never felt better

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you get corrupted by getting the Tzeentchian boons in his realm? I assume not, it feels like you need to get them in order to scope out your path to the Daemon Prince.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you get corrupted by getting the Tzeentchian boons in his realm? I assume not, it feels like you need to get them in order to scope out your path to the Daemon Prince.

Finding the correct path is easy enough. My issue is mostly how clunky traversing the portals feels: you lose your movement for accidentally picking a boon, you lose your movement after entering a portal and you can't interact with a portal if any army is too close to it (which tends to happen way too often)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It's not just that they're weaker, there's just less to them in general. Who cares about -10% recruitment cost for one specific unit, or +3 charge bonus for this other unit. There's so much trash

Edit: Apparently some of the tech skills are flat out useless, as one gives vanguard to a khorne unit that has vanguard to start with.

Cathay gets a tech that boosts port income by 25%!(There's zero port buildings in Cathay, or anywhere near Cathay) This tech is also mandatory if you want to progress the tree lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There is one port building in Cathay. But yeah Cathay's tech tree is awful. None of them are great and none of them are worth going into disharmony for.

Also, I haven't tried to transfer units yet but if you park some agents at your capital you can put them into caravans to beef them up.

Also also I turned off the rifts and everything related to the story and it's a pretty fun little map. But the Ogres are way too OP and take over too much too fast.

Now that I think about tech trees should just go. Why have them? Lord and agent skills do a perfect job replacing the function they serve. Tech trees are a remnant of historical titles and age of empires.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 22, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that the unit upgrades are good, especially crossbow range upgrades.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I am nearly done with a Kislev campaign, my thoughts so far.

~ I heard about a bug with supply lines being messed up even if you disband excess generals. Feel like that's happening, I have 5 generals on 6 provinces and can barely turn a dime.
~ Got 3 of the 4 Daemon prince souls so far. Tzeentch was definitely the most frustrating of the bunch, nearly failed that one. Slaanesh was the most entertaining, those gifts to get you to leave, man, if I had a chance to go back through I'd definitely take them. AI definitely seems to cruise right through the chaos realms though, I think I saw a Cathay faction that got a soul in 3 turns (In Khorne's realm).
~I've just been auto-resolving the battles mostly, especially the soul battles. Something about the graphics and all the snow right now just makes the fights look ugly. I wish we had more grasslands to fight in so all the characters didn't blend in to the ground.
~The Ogre faction that starts in the Empire has consumed almost all of the Empire. I've got an army on recovery-detail trying to bolster up my Empire friends, but Karl Franz got offed by Turn 20ish.
~Geez there are a lot of buildings for Kislev to build, feel like it needs to be simplified. Also, maybe I've just been playing with mods forever, but it's kind of weird that a lot of these 4 province regions only have 4 building spots each.

Enjoying the game, it feels like a very limited roster right now, but that's how each game has felt until the first couple DLC. I'm interested to see what Kislev gets, they need a good spear unit (the prologue had armored kossars with spears but not the main campaign, that was weird).

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 22, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ranking up lords and agents is just poo poo in general. It's always been hugely tedious after you get a couple of characters and everyone is leveling up every turn.

Need a mod where you level up way less frequently and the only choices on the level up tree are abilities and the +3% stuff just comes with them.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There is one port building in Cathay. But yeah Cathay's tech tree is awful. None of them are great and none of them are worth going into disharmony for.

Also, I haven't tried to transfer units yet but if you park some agents at your capital you can put them into caravans to beef them up.

Also also I turned off the rifts and everything related to the story and it's a pretty fun little map. But the Ogres are way too OP and take over too much too fast.

Wheres the "turn off portals" script?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Cathay has no Ports, unless you're counting Shattered Stone Bay, which is the closest Port all the way south past the Ogre mountains in the haunted forest, as in Cathay.

Despite the name Hanyu Port does not actually have a Port building.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Ranking up lords and agents is just poo poo in general. It's always been hugely tedious after you get a couple of characters and everyone is leveling up every turn.

Need a mod where you level up way less frequently and the only choices on the level up tree are abilities and the +3% stuff just comes with them.

There's an auto button now at least.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

genericnick posted:

There's an auto button now at least.

THERE IS????!

oh god how do I miss these things

e: checking it does the AI just do it for you and you can't tell it what direction to go? cause i don't trust the AI

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 22, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Electronico6 posted:

Despite the name Hanyu Port does not actually have a Port building.

lmao you're right it doesn't! That's what I was thinking of.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Wheres the "turn off portals" script?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KZ4S4m8nyjOpc_qMkIg9pAFnR24zN5-UX0JRrJh0p34/edit

It took me like 30 seconds to do but then I already have rpfm. The first time I tried I made the mistake of saving it as a new pack file, so it didn't work. If you edit data.pack directly and save it it works.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

For every turn an enemy city is under siege (yours as well) they gain 500 supply to use in battle. two turns under siege gives them enough supply for an uber tower that can easily be worth like 4 regular units.

That's... kind of whack. Very whack, in fact.
How does a city being blockaded *gain* supplies ? If anything, cities should start with N supply (500 per growth tier ?) and lose 500 per turn besieged...

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

That's... kind of whack. Very whack, in fact.
How does a city being blockaded *gain* supplies ? If anything, cities should start with N supply (500 per growth tier ?) and lose 500 per turn besieged...

Build barricades from the corpses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It gives them more supply to use at the start of the battle, as in, they have had more time to prepare defences before the battle starts. If you manage to drag the actual fight out you can still gain as many as you like. Over time the defenders get more dug in but there are fewer of them.

The cities have apparently infinite supplies to build defences, the starting supply is just representative of readiness at the moment of the attack.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tech trees for TW2 races are dope as hell so its a shame TW3s are so bland/bad. Turning my zombie handgunners into like 200+range powerful as gently caress gunlines is dope as vampirates.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Raygereio posted:

About Kislev: I've had two false starts now and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be a fun, challenging campaign, were it not for the Realm of Chaos mechanic.
I don't really see a way how I can send Katarin's army off to fetch a soul. When I do, the one other army I can afford can't really fight the multiple fronts with Norscans, various demons and that one Ulricdamned Empire faction that backstabbed me in one campaign.:argh:
By the time Katarin comes back, she has a nasty trait with something like -20 control, so she's useless for a bunch more turns because everywhere she goes I just get more rebellions.

Yeah, just running around feeling like I'm barely keeping my head above water on multiple fronts is fun enough as Katarin, but I am definitely struggling to find the bandwidth to even bother with the realms with how hard I'm getting reamed on every front. I have like 3 provinces under and the 3 cities under control and I can still barely afford a second army to keep things held down, let alone any high tier units. Finding Kislev's roster fun as hell though. Armored Kossars are decent line-holders in addition to having a good ranged attack, Streltsi are awesome and just the best looking unit in the game IMO, and I've actually been getting decent value out of the dervishes, for rear charging stuff and picking off high value targets while the rest of my army shoots the poo poo out of stuff.

Overall, after a good 20-30 hours in so far, I'm in agreement that the bones of the game are really solid and promising. I like the new settlement battles, and I have been able to fight a good balance of field battles still, but walled sieges are still kinda rear end - 9/10 times, they just get decided at the walls still, and it never seems like you make it into the elaborate streets inside the settlement. I think the realm mechanic is a bit half-baked - I feel like I've barely had enough time to settle in from the previous round of portals by the time the next round rolls through. Also kinda bummed that we've lost the race specific story beats from the WH2 vortex campaign. REALLY excited to see what modders do with all these new systems and how the campaign gets fixed that way.

Kinda expecting the inevitable Chaos Dwarf campaign is probably just going to take part in the race as well, but I hope they prove me wrong on that.

Lugubrious! fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 22, 2022

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Losing all movement when entering a portal was especially bad when it does it when you enter the portal for the last quest battle after getting all the souls. Making me take another turn to move 3 feet so I can finish is really stupid lol

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

Nurgle wasn't a standalone faction in the tabletop game, so there's not a ton of unit variety to build on unless they make something up whole cloth.

It really wouldn't be a stretch to make Chaos Warriors of Nurgle. Make them look bloated and poo poo, give them some extra tankyness and halberds. They would slot nicely into a sorely lacking part of nurgles roster. Same deal with some plague beastmen/cultists/etc.

The same goes for Tzeentch & Slaanesh. I'm almost 100% certain we will see different flavors of the mortal units added at some point. There's also some AoS units that could be added.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have turns where I don't have much as Kislev but I found it was mostly a case of buffing the poo poo out of your trade and having a ton of allies that would tide you over until the next big army fight/chaos portal invasion.

Once that happens you can use the cash infusion from those fights to prop up another army that can be rotating some shitkicking (so one can heal while another fights) in every turn.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am so so pissed off atm. I am playing as Cathay and having a grand old time and decided to take the advice and try and end Tzeentch as fast as possible. However I arrived at the Tower and then, the next turn, Katarina arrives, despite not having been following me. Even more irritatingly I was still a turn away from reaching the tower by less than a millimeter. However she then blasts past me to take the tower, which is more than a little irritating. But I think I can beat it by just doing it in "quick move". But no I can't attack in that stance. So fine. I then take my astromancer out to sabotage Katarinas army and slow her down. I even succeed. She then proceeds to do it anyway.

gently caress Tzeentch and gently caress the ice court, continually and forever.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
So when you finish the campaign, your reward is that you get Be'lakor as a lord, even if you're Cathay, the Ogres or Kislev? What? Did they run out of time trying to implement a reward that actually makes some sense? It would have been better to just not give any rewards like in previous games.

Besides that, the Cathay campaign just ends with: "The lost sister is still lost, oh well."

It just felt so strange.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 22, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dramicus posted:

It really wouldn't be a stretch to make Chaos Warriors of Nurgle. Make them look bloated and poo poo, give them some extra tankyness and halberds. They would slot nicely into a sorely lacking part of nurgles roster. Same deal with some plague beastmen/cultists/etc.

The same goes for Tzeentch & Slaanesh. I'm almost 100% certain we will see different flavors of the mortal units added at some point. There's also some AoS units that could be added.

Tzeentch get knights on flying discs so I don't think there can be an improvement for them!

At first I thought they were intentionally leaving out human soldiers but then khorne just has a bunch of excellent human infantry it doesn't really need so who knows.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Streltsi can fire over Dwarven Thunderers' heads, meaning you can double stack a Kislev gunline. Combined with ice sheet and Gust of True Flight you delete everything in front of you in less than a minute.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
No way. They really made "you can shoot over head of your dwarf allies" a thing? :allears:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Playing a multiplayer game and it turns out if two players enter Tzeentch's realm only the first player to enter can trigger the final battle. The player that got in second just doesn't get the option to initiate at the palace. The blue marker is there but the fight won't trigger walking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got the first soul from Khorne as Cathay last night and those battles are pretty miserable for them, like, they function most effectively and are built around the idea of maintaining coherent firing lines that enhance harmony and keep your troops mostly unbreakable while significantly enhancing projectile damage. The wave maps that make you move around then spawn poo poo in behind you are absolutely anathema to making effective use of cannons and crane gunners. it took me fifty minutes to get through it and it was barely fun the whole time. The only thing I like is the defensive supplies mechanism you can use to restore and buff troops, but that is absolutely necessary if you want to actually survive long enough to win. I'm playing on Normal battle difficulty so I didn't even lose any entire units, it was just kind of tedious