Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Eastbound Spider posted:

The anthem thread was real good, rip to a real one

It truly was a constant font of comedy just from that one confused dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

There's still time for DICE to beat the ole skull gif for comedy "premium" microtransactions

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

jisforjosh posted:

It's me, I'm broken. I somehow made it to endgame Anthem and then immediately fell out of "like" with the game. So I have more hours in Anthem than I do 2042 for sure.

Just consider that the turning point. And now anytime a game gives you Anthem vibes, loving run.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jisforjosh posted:

It's me, I'm broken. I somehow made it to endgame Anthem and then immediately fell out of "like" with the game. So I have more hours in Anthem than I do 2042 for sure.

You're not the only one, I really liked Anthem when it came out. Yeah it had some issues but the flying was fun and the combat was challenging, if a bit too friendly with sudden damage spikes out of nowhere.

I stopped playing because I got to the point where there was an "add content later" sticker on the gate and then it never really happened.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i'm proud that i can usually spot a lovely game before it comes out (Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda being among them) but 2042 definitely slipped my radar. it's me, i paid $100 for this loving stupid game.

in my defense, i thought the $100 tier was for map packs, like the old games.

e: also I think a lot of the issues i have with 2042 could be fixed with better maps that are actually fun for infantry play, unlike the vast open maps we have now where infantry is just there to get sniped, run over by boltes, and little bird'd

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

You're not the only one, I really liked Anthem when it came out. Yeah it had some issues but the flying was fun and the combat was challenging, if a bit too friendly with sudden damage spikes out of nowhere.

I stopped playing because I got to the point where there was an "add content later" sticker on the gate and then it never really happened.

Yeah, Anthem at least had good base gameplay and a decent aesthetic, it's just that you ran out of content very quickly. You got the impression that the people working on it knew what they were doing, they just didn't have nearly enough time/resources to actually deliver a complete game.

Now, 2042 on the other hand... :shepicide:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

But then you read about Anthem and not only did they not know what they were doing they didn’t even know what they wanted to be doing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Anthem at least had good base gameplay and a decent aesthetic, it's just that you ran out of content very quickly. You got the impression that the people working on it knew what they were doing, they just didn't have nearly enough time/resources to actually deliver a complete game.

Reading what happened to Anthem and Andromeda was really sad. They hosed around so long on those things not able to settle on what kind of game they were gonna make that by the time they figured it out they had less than a year to make them. It was the fault of spectacularly bad and arrogant management, who were sure that Bioware could pull through no matter what. "Bioware magic" was something that fans coined for how the worlds always seemed more fleshed out and real than other developers, how there was this spark in their big franchises that made you want to see more of them. Managers loved that term, but they used it to describe how everything always managed to come together at the end. It became an excuse to not try, to not worry, to not actually make progress, because everything's gonna be fine. They have magic.

Everything was not fine. It did not all work out in the end. They killed Mass Effect.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been having a ton of fun in BFV as a plane gunner. I muted the ingame music, and I rock a spotify playlist in the background of GI Jams (thunderstruck, hendrix, creedance, sabbath)

The lighter plane machine gun might as well shoot paper mache, but still incredibly satisfying to strafe ground forces or fend off an enemy fighter

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i'm proud that i can usually spot a lovely game before it comes out (Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda being among them) but 2042 definitely slipped my radar. it's me, i paid $100 for this loving stupid game.

in my defense, i thought the $100 tier was for map packs, like the old games.

e: also I think a lot of the issues i have with 2042 could be fixed with better maps that are actually fun for infantry play, unlike the vast open maps we have now where infantry is just there to get sniped, run over by boltes, and little bird'd
BF2042 with its pre-launch hype was the first multiplayer game to interest me since, I dunno, 2013? But the horrific launch and just incredibly lovely looking gameplay footage made me just skip it. Glad I stuck to my rule to never preorder games.

My rule is, don't preorder and read the SA thread - are most people talking about minutiae of gameplay, or are they talking about stuff adjacent to the actual game like bugs or the lack of patches? If it's the former, then the game is probably actually fun despite issues.

Ironically, the last time I broke my rule and preordered was Cyberpunk, and I was in the minority who really enjoyed it at launch

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Ironically, the last time I broke my rule and preordered was Cyberpunk, and I was in the minority who really enjoyed it at launch

That game was an interesting case for me because I originally played it all the way through on a cracked Russian language version of it with very few issues then purchased the game once the first patches dropped and it ran significantly *worse*.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

JOHN SKELETON posted:

BF2042 with its pre-launch hype was the first multiplayer game to interest me since, I dunno, 2013? But the horrific launch and just incredibly lovely looking gameplay footage made me just skip it. Glad I stuck to my rule to never preorder games.

My rule is, don't preorder and read the SA thread - are most people talking about minutiae of gameplay, or are they talking about stuff adjacent to the actual game like bugs or the lack of patches? If it's the former, then the game is probably actually fun despite issues.

see, i didn't really pay much attention to this game until like a couple weeks before it came out.

cyberpunk seemed like an obvious candidate for a poo poo game to me. way too much was promised about what the game could actually be.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I just don’t buy any AAA games at launch anymore. They’re never finished and always benefit from a year or two of patches and updates. Even the great games of the last decade like Witcher 3 and Dark Souls were janky as hell at launch. I’m sure I’ll enjoy cyberpunk greatly, and am eagerly looking forward to playing it in a couple years or so when it’s ready

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

what? how was dark souls janky at launch?

oh, i guess you mean the PC version.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

what? how was dark souls janky at launch?

oh, i guess you mean the PC version.

pc version was so broken they had to release a different version entirely to fix the issues

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I did too - I think it really came down to whether your computer had the special sauce that made it run acceptably, and what your expectations were. If you just wanted a pretty good RPG with some guns it was good fun, if you were expecting it to revolutionize open world games or w/e it was obviously going to fall far short of expectations (which, in fairness, CDPR played into heavily). (It did prompt me to overspend a bit upgrading my GPU in preparation for it, but it turns out that getting a 3080 for original pre-tariff MSRP was an extremely good decision)

I definitely don't have the self discipline not to get in on pre-orders/EA if it's something that genuinely interests me, but BFV was genuinely bad enough that I wasn't going to drop money on another BF title until it'd been evaluated post-release, and it certainly paid off this time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
CROWZ doing almost as well as bf 2042 thanks to the Steam Next Fest Free Demo

https://steamcharts.com/app/1874390

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1692070/CROWZ/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdA0xau3Efc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 22, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
strangely, I remember playing a lot more BFV than I actually did. Origin claims I've got around 100 hours in BF1 and a paltry 20 in BFV. Was it really that bad that I've blocked out any memory except coordinated fliegerfaust attacks on skygods?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

cmdrk posted:

strangely, I remember playing a lot more BFV than I actually did. Origin claims I've got around 100 hours in BF1 and a paltry 20 in BFV. Was it really that bad that I've blocked out any memory except coordinated fliegerfaust attacks on skygods?

It was pretty stinkin bad. Though I just realize I somehow played more V than 1.

I also played Battlefront 2 longer than any BF game, lol

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Perestroika posted:

Now, 2042 on the other hand... :shepicide:

I think the post-mortems have made it very clear that they had no idea what they were doing, and the base gameplay being good (something I don't agree with) was more down to chance than competence.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i don't understand why people think BFV is terrible. I didn't pick it up until a couple weeks ago and it seems pretty good?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

dumb name aside, this looks pretty cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i don't understand why people think BFV is terrible. I didn't pick it up until a couple weeks ago and it seems pretty good?

It’s more bitterness because they made stupid decisions then let the game die. The Pacific sections arrived way too late, they screwed up the TTK in order to attract new players and then changed it yet again.

The squad mechanics, the building, the destruction, and the movement was top tier though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Launch BFV was "OK" but had some serious netcode issues, the maps weren't that good, and personally it didn't feel as "polished" art direction wise as BF1. They somewhat fixed the netcode but hosed up the TTK which made the game go from "OK" to "bad". They reverted those TTK changes and then the Pacific came out and that content was really good (Iwo Jima breakthrough is loving amazing) but then down the road they made the TTK/BTK even worse (talking about 8 shots to kill from the FG42).

Eventually they kind of fixed the TTK, but it wasn't quite like launch, which is where the game is now. You're playing after years of fixes and changes, missing out on the rollercoaster that lost players with every turn and dip

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It was BF1 2, which isn't bad if you liked the changes between bf4 and bf1. It seemed fine.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Boins

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It’s a very hot/cold game, mechanically it’s an improvement on BF1 but the maps/unlock system/visual design/vehicles were all big steps back and it took them way too long to get the TTK in a half-decent spot

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Really rough launch, despite a promising beta. They never finished it and it was massively discounted within a few months in a repeat of the Battlefront II fiasco.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Really rough launch, despite a promising beta. They never finished it and it was massively discounted within a few months in a repeat of the Battlefront II fiasco.

The biggest gripe I have with the changes they made from beta to launch was that in the beta tank top gunners (and fixed MGs in general) would absolutely rip through people and I thought that they finally figured out the correct way to balance those guns, and then they completely defanged them for launch and they became sniper bait again

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It’s a very hot/cold game, mechanically it’s an improvement on BF1 but the maps/unlock system/visual design/vehicles were all big steps back and it took them way too long to get the TTK in a half-decent spot

I think that hot/cold division also comes a bit more into focus when you specify what the mechanical improvements actually are, and compare it with the list of steps back - i.e. sure it's great that the guns now shoot where they point rather than just having random spread when they're ADS'd, but how much does that matter when the ttk/balance otherwise makes the gunplay feel like poo poo? similarly, while it's unambiguously an improvement, how highly are people going to value the advanced movement (that by its nature covers more marginal/less frequently used ways of movement) when the environment being moved in and infantry gameplay generally are perceived as inferior for a number of reasons?

those aren't purely rhetorical questions - if you were someone who was really annoyed by how BF1 gunplay fundamentally worked then you're going to perceive/judge BFV very differently than someone who largely didn't give a poo poo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BFV also put gun emplacements in really bad locations and made them more vulnerable than BF1. Like, AA guns with large obstructive blockers and netting you'd need to blow up before using them. Or useless AT guns that just got you shot, which were also somehow just less satisfying than BF1 had. You were supposed to be able to tow them around which kinda worked at first but then was so buggy you'd wonder if they ever tested it at all (eventually it got fixed). Vehicles in general were in a bad place; for example, the APC felt like crap -- disabled by a single rocket, and even taking damage from rolling over old stone farm fences, on top of the gunner position becoming suicidal as mentioned.

Every patch early on broke something new, like making soldiers or vehicles invisible.

Still can't forgive them for making that huge steel bridge like five feet too short a drop to open your parachute.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chronojam posted:

BFV also put gun emplacements in really bad locations and made them more vulnerable than BF1. Like, AA guns with large obstructive blockers and netting you'd need to blow up before using them. Or useless AT guns that just got you shot, which were also somehow just less satisfying than BF1 had. You were supposed to be able to tow them around which kinda worked at first but then was so buggy you'd wonder if they ever tested it at all (eventually it got fixed). Vehicles in general were in a bad place; for example, the APC felt like crap -- disabled by a single rocket, and even taking damage from rolling over old stone farm fences, on top of the gunner position becoming suicidal as mentioned.

Every patch early on broke something new, like making soldiers or vehicles invisible.

Still can't forgive them for making that huge steel bridge like five feet too short a drop to open your parachute.

Hitting low flying planes with the AA gun was certainly an issue in BFV but putting them in sunken pits wasn't an inherently bad idea. BF1 suffered a lot from all of the AA guns being absurdly vulnerable targets that were a matter of getting on and shooting in the five seconds before a sniper headshots you.

The guns on the Gallipoli map that is half of all operations servers now is the most egregious of them all, the AA guns are all at the top of a sloping hill. Man don't even try it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

The guns on the Gallipoli map that is half of all operations servers now is the most egregious of them all, the AA guns are all at the top of a sloping hill. Man don't even try it.

I think it's half the servers right now because the Operations Campaign (ie special crate rewards with melee pieces) is stuck

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Buller posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611740/view/3127190691506525421

Battlebit playtest #2 starts in 3 hours! Get ready boys its gonna be good.

yo this owns, how had I missed that this game existed?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Bfv is an okay Bf game that has some really awful game design decisions. Planes ruin a match the second anyone good gets in them. AA tanks are completely worthless and still take up a tank slot if anyone is dumb enough to pull one.. The vehicles have extremely good unlocks that can only be unlocked by using the vehicle. The maps are pretty bland. Entire Breakthrough maps are designed so that one team steamrolls the other. There's a massive enemy visibility problem with all the hero skins running around.

It's certainly better than 2042 but it's still pretty meh

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

disclaimers aside: lol, lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LGD posted:

disclaimers aside: lol, lmao

It reached 1,534 today

I dunno if we’re gonna make it to June

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I tried to like BFV, but eve short sessions (30 minutes) made me really angry and wanted to uninstall. I can't say what is about it, maybe I forgot.
I do remember that was a game putting graphics over gameplay, with elements like destroyed tank props.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BFV has one of the dumbest additions to the franchise: back prone. Combine that with low visibility for character models and corner camping got really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I hated backprone so much which made the melee take-down against them so insanely satisfying. Your character would just headbutt them to death and the animation would still go off even if you instigate the take-down with a bayonet charge. The things dice took from us for 2042 :smith: