Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

impregnated by dirty buds: an erotic short story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not going to give any story spoilers, but just to give you an idea - during the final mission, you are asked a yes/no question, and later an “are you sure” question for that. if you confirm the “wrong” answer for that question, all your past decisions get overridden and you get the worst ending.

what’s the worst ending you wonder? literally the same as the normal ending, from protagonist’s perspective, just some lore changes.

and the best ending? almost the same, but to get it you need to save twice the character that gaslights you and tries to kill you half a dozen times and sacrifice your love interest character

don’t even get me started on the factions or general quality of writing, continuity of dialogue, and other poo poo like enemies giving you their friendly dialogue while you invisibly sneak up to stab them

it’s so loving raw, it needs another year of polishing to be barely playable

yeah once i got to the 2nd area and dicked with the paraglider a while I was done, mostly because i couldn't stand one more line of dialogue

also the zombie hordes from the first game may as well have not existed here - seeing like a half-dozen at once in an open plaza was actually disheartening

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

yeah once i got to the 2nd area and dicked with the paraglider a while I was done, mostly because i couldn't stand one more line of dialogue

also the zombie hordes from the first game may as well have not existed here - seeing like a half-dozen at once in an open plaza was actually disheartening

paraglider is one of the worst additions to the game imo. the second map is boringly vertical, and if you went for gas vents upgrade you basically never have to land, and just fly from one end to another with paraglider. it’s super boring, and gets worse with paraglider upgrades, which allow you to completely cheese parkour sections (it gets a vertical ascent option lmao)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

paraglider is one of the worst additions to the game imo. the second map is boringly vertical, and if you went for gas vents upgrade you basically never have to land, and just fly from one end to another with paraglider. it’s super boring, and gets worse with paraglider upgrades, which allow you to completely cheese parkour sections (it gets a vertical ascent option lmao)

yeaah, i didn't realize until i had that glider that the parkour itself was the only significant fun source left, and the design of the 2nd area kinda puts paid to that, as you say

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

failing to slip away unnoticed in disco elysium is one of the funniest things ive ever seen in a jame

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

jesus WEP posted:

failing to slip away unnoticed in disco elysium is one of the funniest things ive ever seen in a jame

I'm guessing you did not try to escape your hotel bill by running away, jumping, turning around mid air and flipping the double bird

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

I'm guessing you did not try to escape your hotel bill by running away, jumping, turning around mid air and flipping the double bird
that is in fact exactly what failing the check leads to

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

that is in fact exactly what failing the check leads to

Ah right, I guess I didn't see that as "slipping away" necessarily

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Kenny Logins posted:

i'm still on day 2 but going to put in some time tonight and do anything but investigate that hanging body. i hear there's a witch beneath the bookstore

i never thought to just ignore the body entirely. if i ever finish my first playthrough and go for a second, I'm never touching that thing

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not going to give any story spoilers, but just to give you an idea - during the final mission, you are asked a yes/no question, and later an “are you sure” question for that. if you confirm the “wrong” answer for that question, all your past decisions get overridden and you get the worst ending.

what’s the worst ending you wonder? literally the same as the normal ending, from protagonist’s perspective, just some lore changes.

and the best ending? almost the same, but to get it you need to save twice the character that gaslights you and tries to kill you half a dozen times and sacrifice your love interest character

don’t even get me started on the factions or general quality of writing, continuity of dialogue, and other poo poo like enemies giving you their friendly dialogue while you invisibly sneak up to stab them

it’s so loving raw, it needs another year of polishing to be barely playable
tbh i've been ignoring the story and just doing enough mainline missions to unlock stuff, my issues were more about the mechanics.

the atmosphere can be amazing, the parkour mostly works, and there's some neato creepy set pieces to explore, but there's no threat from the enemies, no zombie hordes, combat's mostly a grind, looting is a tedious and unrewarding but necessary chore, and Survivor Sense is the dumbest poo poo ever.

one of the worst things is just how unrewarding exploring is. Every now and then I find a way to get up somewhere hard to reach and hope to find a neat bit of loot or something but its always either just empty set-dressing or walled off for a mission later on.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

Ah right, I guess I didn't see that as "slipping away" necessarily
when harry fails he fails like a boss

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

tbh i've been ignoring the story and just doing enough mainline missions to unlock stuff, my issues were more about the mechanics.

the atmosphere can be amazing, the parkour mostly works, and there's some neato creepy set pieces to explore, but there's no threat from the enemies, no zombie hordes, combat's mostly a grind, looting is a tedious and unrewarding but necessary chore, and Survivor Sense is the dumbest poo poo ever.

one of the worst things is just how unrewarding exploring is. Every now and then I find a way to get up somewhere hard to reach and hope to find a neat bit of loot or something but its always either just empty set-dressing or walled off for a mission later on.

story was the one thing i tried to enjoy, since everything else was a real drag. parkour goes from annoying to trivial, with no middle ground, and everything else is a tedious grind for the sake of grind. did you know that to get all upgrades on any of the consumables required like 300 basic trophies and several dozens of the more rare ones?!

“500 hours of gameplay”, in my rear end

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

t…text me?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i did finish it and it’s genuinely one of the worst experiences with a major game release. almost worse than valhalla, which i thought impossible at the time

you’re not missing much by quitting early

lmao

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

story was the one thing i tried to enjoy, since everything else was a real drag. parkour goes from annoying to trivial, with no middle ground, and everything else is a tedious grind for the sake of grind. did you know that to get all upgrades on any of the consumables required like 300 basic trophies and several dozens of the more rare ones?!

yeah, seeing the tiny incremental improvements for each upgrade was really off putting.

also lol at the hellscape of stats you had to compare any time you wanted to decide what armour/apparel to keep.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

yeah, seeing the tiny incremental improvements for each upgrade was really off putting.

also lol at the hellscape of stats you had to compare any time you wanted to decide what armour/apparel to keep.

would you rather have +2.3% survivor sense duration (from 300ms to 306.9ms), or would you rather have +2.63% survivor sense range (from 24 metres to 24.63 metres)?

the only non-damage stats that i did find to be remotely useful were stamina regen in melee, the big armour number on the thing, and whatever was the awkward name for stealthiness stat

in purple level 4 ranger set i was crouch walking through forts and shooting every enemy twice in the face with my bow and everyone’s like “huh, ill find you you loving bitch” when im squatting right there on the concrete with my longbow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I turned off DLSS

I should record what I am talking about, because the effect I am talking about is a little bit more macro.. as in it’s like the AA is working over multiple pixels, stuff that is in the distance seems to have a median filter over it .. or something

DLSS was slowing poo poo down in the city.

anyway. let’s see if i can record it and point out what i mean

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dlss can't slow anything down by definition, unless the implementation is horrendously botched

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

man in the eyeball hat posted:

i never thought to just ignore the body entirely. if i ever finish my first playthrough and go for a second, I'm never touching that thing

there's a cheevo for beating the game without interacting with the body

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I turned off DLSS

I should record what I am talking about, because the effect I am talking about is a little bit more macro.. as in it’s like the AA is working over multiple pixels, stuff that is in the distance seems to have a median filter over it .. or something

DLSS was slowing poo poo down in the city.

anyway. let’s see if i can record it and point out what i mean

DLSS won't slow anything down. Even at the best setting, DLSS Quality, it's rendering half as many pixels as native and the DLSS algorithm runs in fixed time. In the worst case, running DLSS would be no faster than running native without AA, but it will have very good AA.

What you're describing does sound like the DLSS artifacts you get when using one of the lower settings, where it's doing heavy upscaling. On DLSS Ultra Performance, only one pixel in 9 is natively rendered, and you do get some weirdness in small details are a result. It's still totally playable, though, which I find really impressive. It's a good algorithm.

I want it in my flight simulators now :mad:

It is on the roadmap for Microsoft Flight Simulator, but for DCS, the forums are full of people asking about it and immediately getting shot down by some snide rear end in a top hat saying "DLSS is a proprietary technology and I hope DCS never supports nVidia$$$$ attempt to lock us into their products!!!!" :jerkbag:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

let’s be honest, the people in charge at DCS don’t want it to run well, at this point.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1495775365473738758

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

there's another new upadate for NMS and it looks really fuckin cool: https://www.nomanssky.com/sentinel-update/

jumped back into NMS and gave the new update a go, it's good stuff! combat with sentinels is way better now, much more variety and it's more challenging. the minotaur exocraft (mechsuit dealio) is actually manoeuvrable now to the point that it's viable in combat or even general getting around. on top of that the new AI auto-pilot module for the minotaur turns it into a titanfall-esq support that will follow you and engage any hostiles in range. that is made even better once you do the new missions to upgrade it to a hardframe minotaur.

tl;dr: sentinel combat is really fun and rewarding now!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i have to work onsite Friday :/

but i plan on staying up as late as I can tolerate that night - i cannot loving WAIT

goddamn, Elden Ring is gonna be so good for souls fans :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

Armitag3 posted:

this sequence is incredible and fully justifies having modern animations and production values in an isometric crpg

I am on day 3 and have the thought that gives +2 real (and +10xp) every time time it pops and lol that I had to scrimp and scrounge to make rent at the end of day 2

necco was right this is easily going to be 40+ hours for me

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Vintersorg posted:

i have to work onsite Friday :/

but i plan on staying up as late as I can tolerate that night - i cannot loving WAIT

goddamn, Elden Ring is gonna be so good for souls fans :)

i've been burned by too many hype trains so i'm gonna wait a few weeks to see if i'll jump in or not

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

like at it's core - it's the same stuff we've been playing since Demons Souls - just now it's open world

if you liked DS3, then you'll like this - like it's overwhelming how good everything looks and that's just the first area that's been on display.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

You should go sit in the shed, boss. (Anno 1800)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you know, the uncharted waters series was pretty educational all things considered.

would not mind another sid meier's pirates! but based out of southeast asia or something

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
what souls game should i attempt to bounce off of while I wait for HZW and Elden Ring to drop to $20 or get offered by PS+?

My current status:

- Demon Souls: Unplayed
- Dark Souls: Owned, Unplayed
- Dark Souls 2: Unplayed
- Dark Souls 3: Owned, abandoned somewhere after Iudex Gundyr (before Vordt of the Boreal Valley)
- Bloodborne: Owned, abandoned before cleric beast
- Sekiro: Owned, abandoned at the Bull.

I just... WANT to like this kind of game so bad.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
give bloodborne another try. i bounced off once myself, then came back at it a year later and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

give bloodborne another try. i bounced off once myself, then came back at it a year later and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

yeah, of that portfolio bloodborne, dark souls 1, demon souls (remake) would be my decision priority flow

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Demon's Souls is the easiest so maybe that'll give you the stuff we're all getting off on?

Start with the royal class which comes with a mp regen ring and you'll blast through the game, especially if get the magic scimitar from 4-1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPIrHwe-w8)

Dark Souls too is pretty forgiving and not as brutal as people make it out to be. Start with the thief class and choose the key as the gift, you'll steamroll the Undead Burg

DS 2 i just started again but it was so loving jank i didnt have it in me to keep going, so avoid that - the scholar edition makes things even stupider

DS 3 can be punishing in the first area since it's using bloodborne style enemies but in the slower DS world, but after you beat the frost monster things start clicking and you get stronger

Bloodborne - dropping at cleric beast is understandable, skip that and go to father gascoigne since he's the real first boss. however, for CB, dont camera lock and stick to it's feet - it can't do poo poo. just roll out to regain stamina. plus oil and bombs will gently caress it up big time. it's a tough game though and emphasizes being aggressive. on my replay i bounced off in that area with the sniper as i didn't want to go through that again.

sekiro - i cant get into this at all, i dont like this game. tried 4 times to play it but it's not for me. bounced off at the drunk boss and then again at the like, 3rd mini-boss? after the ogre fight.

sooooo either Demons Souls (ps5 if you got it!!) or Dark Souls Remastered.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this

Once you get the big sword the game becomes so much better. I general dislike the souls series but really liked Bloodborne and Sekiro.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://hard-drive.net/swat-team-actually-huge-fan-of-streamer/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

what souls game should i attempt to bounce off of while I wait for HZW and Elden Ring to drop to $20 or get offered by PS+?

My current status:

- Demon Souls: Unplayed
- Dark Souls: Owned, Unplayed
- Dark Souls 2: Unplayed
- Dark Souls 3: Owned, abandoned somewhere after Iudex Gundyr (before Vordt of the Boreal Valley)
- Bloodborne: Owned, abandoned before cleric beast
- Sekiro: Owned, abandoned at the Bull.

I just... WANT to like this kind of game so bad.

I've only beat sekiro and demon's souls. And bounced of bloodborne but I say Sekiro is probably the best one to try and beat since it has short runs back to bosses. But I also think it has the least carry over in skills.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

the only thing in Elden Ring from Sekiro is jumping and stealth afaik

the rest is DS3 mechanics with some DS2 dual-wielding

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

have they shown elden ring gameplay outside the first major zone/first few hours

if cp2077 and especially its initial reviews taught me anything it's to be real wary of that

(e) not that i realistically think FROM'd do that at this point given the pedigree; i just haven't watched fuckall abt the game

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

have they shown elden ring gameplay outside the first major zone/first few hours

if cp2077 and especially its initial reviews taught me anything it's to be real wary of that

(e) not that i realistically think FROM'd do that at this point given the pedigree; i just haven't watched fuckall abt the game

yeah to be totally clear i was suspicious about alyx too. i buy zero hype until the game has been out for a bit