Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The mnemonic:

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

is used to remember keys and how sharps and flats there are.

You change one note when you go up or down a fifth.

The mnemonic works to remember the circle of fifths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kekko desu

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not quite "figured it out", but incidentally learned while looking up the legality of selling deer antlers at my place of work:

I have committed a crime against both the Commonwealth of Virginia, and Mother Earth. Two years ago I was homeless and living in a camper on a friend's farm property. One afternoon I was sitting outside the camper and saw a 3-foot rattlesnake slithering up into my "house". In defense of my cat and myself, I ran screaming for the farm owner to dispatch it, and he grabbed his gun and blew its head off.

Turns out it's an endangered species, which you are not legally allowed to kill even if it's threatening you (I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, call 911 and wait for them to get up to East Bumfuck while my cat theoretically got bit and died trying to kill it for me?).

Kinda feel like poo poo, now that I learned that.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Jan 30, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok, I didn't figure it out but looked it up.

I went looking for what the original of the pizza song is. You know, this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeUbnpv4xI

Not speaking Italian, the only lyrics of it I know are something that sounds like "funiculee, funicula". I've sometimes mused that that sounds a lot like "funicular", which is that cable-car like thingy. I figured it was from an opera or something.

It turns out it's not from an opera, it is actually called "Funiculì, Funiculà", and it was written to "commemorate the opening of the first funicular railway on Mount Vesuvius"!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicul%C3%AC,_Funicul%C3%A0

Pizza time

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, it's Pizza Time!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite "figured it out", but incidentally learned while looking up the legality of selling deer antlers at my place of work:

I have committed a crime against both the Commonwealth of Virginia, and Mother Earth. Two years ago I was homeless and living in a camper on a friend's farm property. One afternoon I was sitting outside the camper and saw a 3-foot rattlesnake slithering up into my "house". In defense of my cat and myself, I ran screaming for the farm owner to dispatch it, and he grabbed his gun and blew its head off.

Turns out it's an endangered species, which you are not legally allowed to kill even if it's threatening you (I'm not sure what I was supposed to do, call 911 and wait for them to get up to East Bumfuck while my cat theoretically got bit and died trying to kill it for me?).

Kinda feel like poo poo, now that I learned that.

gently caress the law, and gently caress any jury who would convict you.
Any aggressive animal, regardless of its status, should be killed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In A Fistful of Dollars, the guy at the start that passes by on a horse with an "Adios amigo" sign on him is dead.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Mighty Moltres posted:

gently caress the law, and gently caress any jury who would convict you.
Any aggressive animal, regardless of its status, should be killed.

Aggressive animal detected.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFxdAf-cHA

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:cripes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A thing I just found out about: 'Murder She Wrote' was in a shared universe with 'Magnum PI' and had several crossover episodes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A thing I just found out about : 'Murder She Wrote' was in a shared universe with 'Magnum PI' and had several crossover episodes

And also, they're both in the Tommy Westphall shared universe :spergin:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

And also, they're both in the Tommy Westphall shared universe :spergin:

Is the Detective Munch universe wholly a subset of Tommy Westphall or are there outliers that can be folded in?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a broad church I think

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/guide__book/status/1490633714635657218?t=b6yYVALviPeU14TsKBw5DQ&s=19

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Well, poo poo--I literally just finished a trial translation for a prospective client, all in Google Sheets. If only I'd known!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
:magical: is a variant of :allears:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Ctrl+Enter is a shortcut to post.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Captain Splendid posted:

Ctrl+Enter is a shortcut to post.

That’s what Alt+F4 is for

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads.

Technically I probably learned that as a schoolkid, but I immediately unlearned it and I've spent the years since then thinking they were distinctly different somehow.

Anyways, here's a specific type of frog to be judged by

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

All toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads.

Technically I probably learned that as a schoolkid, but I immediately unlearned it and I've spent the years since then thinking they were distinctly different somehow.

Anyways, here's a specific type of frog to be judged by

Frogs have teeth. Toads don't.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Yep, that checks out

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

learnincurve posted:

Here's one.

Cobbled streets?

Is it only the UK that has a yen for murdering the elderly each winter and making entire high streets completely inaccessible for wheelchair users or is this a global thing?

Many of the “old” cities in the US that were settled in the 1600s likely still have some cobbled streets. I know Richmond does, other likely candidates are Boston, Philly, Charleston, probably Baltimore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in my experience the cobbled lines between the flagstones on the sidewalks are waaaaay less slippery in the winter than the flagstones themselves

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Internet Cliche posted:

Many of the “old” cities in the US that were settled in the 1600s likely still have some cobbled streets. I know Richmond does, other likely candidates are Boston, Philly, Charleston, probably Baltimore.

Washington mews in nyc is still cobblesetones

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Cliche posted:

Hell, Pittsburgh still has a few kicking around.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Savannah GA has a cobblestone area. Raleigh NC has a block or two -- or maybe more brick, not sure

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cobblestone streets are great because they make private automobile drivers not want to drive on them. Cobblestone sidewalks not so much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cobblestone streets are great because they make private automobile drivers not want to drive on them. Cobblestone sidewalks not so much.

Just ticket em when they drive on the sidewalks, problem solved

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Apparently Kindergarten Cop came out a year before Terminator 2. That just doesn't feel right to me but it's true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

in my experience the cobbled lines between the flagstones on the sidewalks are waaaaay less slippery in the winter than the flagstones themselves

The what lines?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

The what lines?

like a divider of cobblestones between flagstones on the sidewalk, parallel to the buildings/road. idk a good name for it. it's pretty common in Copenhagen

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
John Green's ears are both slanted in the same direction.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Carthag Tuek posted:

like a divider of cobblestones between flagstones on the sidewalk, parallel to the buildings/road. idk a good name for it. it's pretty common in Copenhagen

cobbled kerb stones :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Sounds like a teen roast performer, or an actual lacrosse player.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

learnincurve posted:

oh sorry not the curb but the middle of the sidewalk, like this:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh sorry not the curb but the middle of the sidewalk, like this:

There are no cobblestones in the picture :confused:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
flagstone pavement with cobbled edges

My town centre is mostly cobbled and I seem to have absorbed this information over the years.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Aren’t those to help visually impaired people not walk into traffic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are no cobblestones in the picture :confused:

huh i guess theyre called sett when theyre cut to shape but cobblestones when theyre naturally shaped

theyre both called brosten here, and if needed you can specify shape etc