Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

what is npi

not much, whats npi with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
national penis inspector

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

President Beep posted:

national penis inspector

as set out in the National Penis Inspection Act of 1848, which established the Bureau of Clean Willies

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

national penis inspector

oh is that what your wife told you her job was

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

national penis inspector
the only person allowed (by federal statute) to inspect the national penis (currently kept in the same vault under the national archives as the original us constitution)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh is that what your wife told you her job was

oh, you son of a bitch…

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

*homer simpson voice* hey, that’s not the penis inspector…

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

oh, you son of a bitch…

you'd think experience would be appreciated

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint i worked in our office completely alone for 3 years* and it was depressing and alienating

*i was a 3rd shift SRE at sendgrid for a few years and fastly ended up leasing the same office space so ive worked in the same space for 2 companies

i've been the only one in the office a few times early/late due to the way my out-of-office schedule worked out and I personally loving love it. dim lighting, quiet, chill vibes but there's still snacks and coffee and everything i need to get work done!

a friend of mine's super autistic dad used to start work at 4AM (and be home by like lunchtime) for probably the same reason and that'll probably be me in a year or two once my kid is used to the school schedule

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
return flights from the US + several other places banned for another month :toot:

government also moved the school summer break from actual summer to march and april, lol. I'm sure that won't be disruptive to parents that have, ya know, jobs, on a week's notice.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

super autistic dad

good username there

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hell yeah 5 covid cases in the office over the past week love coming into the office

Apr 7, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hell yeah 5 covid cases in the office over the past week love coming into the office

It's mild now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
goin back in April :toot:

Apr 7, 2003

I'll quit and find another job if they ever reverse and try to get us back in, it's a free-for--all in healthcare software dev right now anyway.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chris Knight posted:

goin back in April :toot:

my office is doing this too

good thing i moved in July but uhh not thrilled with the decision for my coworkers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the gently caress is this april poo poo, was there a memo sent around? i also just heard the execs where i work want to start pushing people back in starting april. at least they "only" are requesting at least 16 hours a week in the office so far.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

at least they "only" are requesting at least 16 hours a week in the office so far.

four days a week?! that's monstrous!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my company announced a "work from anywhere" policy a couple of weeks ago. if you're legally allowed to work and you have a decent internet connection you can work anywhere in the world. nice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

the gently caress is this april poo poo, was there a memo sent around? i also just heard the execs where i work want to start pushing people back in starting april. at least they "only" are requesting at least 16 hours a week in the office so far.
Doug Ford said open er up so there ya go. one day a week ain't gonna kill anyone lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cat Face Joe posted:

four days a week?! that's monstrous!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Truman Peyote posted:

my company announced a "work from anywhere" policy a couple of weeks ago. if you're legally allowed to work and you have a decent internet connection you can work anywhere in the world. nice

this probably has some real tax implications if you actually do go too far away

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We lost a guy who moved to Israel because the business had no previous presence there and didn't want to figure it out for 1 engineer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chris Knight posted:

Doug Ford said open er up so there ya go. one day a week ain't gonna kill anyone lol

if you're suggesting i'm canadian then i think you owe an apology to the canadians

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

We lost a guy who moved to Israel because the business had no previous presence there and didn't want to figure it out for 1 engineer.

dang wonder why he wanted to roll out there

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

farmer canuck-rear end

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

if you're suggesting i'm canadian then i think you owe an apology to the canadians

I thought space moose was from canada

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh lol i forgot about that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
althogh, space moose himself is from outer space

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

my suspicion for this policy is a new way to exploit the global south for cheap developers. no need to offshore when your company policy is work from anywhere and a ton of your team just so happen to live in Serbia, Romania, Chile, Mexico, India, and China

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my suspicion for this policy is a new way to exploit the global south for cheap developers. no need to offshore when your company policy is work from anywhere and a ton of your team just so happen to live in Serbia, Romania, Chile, Mexico, India, and China

do you think the company is gonna set up the proper legal and tax structures in serbia, romania, chile, mexico, india, and china to be able to hire people legally?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

a ton of our team has lived in brazil, russia, the netherlands, and india for years. even a couple of americans.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

do you think the company is gonna set up the proper legal and tax structures in serbia, romania, chile, mexico, india, and china to be able to hire people legally?

No.

But that's not gonna stop them.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fart simpson posted:

no, but they'll pay for a contracting agency to do those things for them, as long as it's still cheaper than domestic labor

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they were already doing that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

what happens if they don't set up to pay people legally? i don't understand the mechanism by which it matters. would israel sue a company in another country? why would they care if they don't do business in israel?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the uk is so paranoid about people working there without permission that people who have been invited to do one time paid speaking gigs risk a lifetime ban from entry if they don’t get the proper visa

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i really don't understand why anyone would care. I wonder if this type of thing could do material damage to a country or if it is just one of those weird capitalist taboos

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

qirex posted:

the uk is so paranoid about people working there without permission that people who have been invited to do one time paid speaking gigs risk a lifetime ban from entry if they don’t get the proper visa

"risk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corla Plankun posted:

i really don't understand why anyone would care. I wonder if this type of thing could do material damage to a country or if it is just one of those weird capitalist taboos

basically if you openly allow it then you'll have a bunch of companies and workers dodging taxes i think