Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

where is donkey kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

on the drugs he hides in the bananas

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm in a similar space with dark souls, i began with sotfs and rapiering my way through the game until just after the castle, when my computer died and i never picked it up again.
i tried the original dark souls too, rocking a claymore. Got past the capra demon second try i think because ds2 trained me fairly well against humanoid bosses, but i stalled versus the gaping dragon since I'm not very good at fighting giant beasts. i will eventually give it another go.
everyone says parrying is pretty easy, but it feels really high risk since if you flub it once or twice you're close to death really quickly. maybe i should just practise it and die repeatedly in the process?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm in a similar space with dark souls, i began with sotfs and rapiering my way through the game until just after the castle, when my computer died and i never picked it up again.
i tried the original dark souls too, rocking a claymore. Got past the capra demon second try i think because ds2 trained me fairly well against humanoid bosses, but i stalled versus the gaping dragon since I'm not very good at fighting giant beasts. i will eventually give it another go.
everyone says parrying is pretty easy, but it feels really high risk since if you flub it once or twice you're close to death really quickly. maybe i should just practise it and die repeatedly in the process?

riposte deals colossal damage, especially when paired with proper equipment. there are some other compelling reasons to know how to parry in ds1, but i'll leave that for you to find out

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I never got the hang of parrying in any of the games and i beat them all (minus sekiro) so don't worry too much. It's a good skill but not necessary.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Title is a bit much but Iron Pineapple is a good youtuber and their review is fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdstSHeoNGA

There's gonna be a tutorial dungeon too for absolute new people. This is the one to play if you've been curious about Souls games.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i tried dark souls 3 and thought it was lame but that looks cool af

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'm getting into sifu. pretty rad little kung fu game, really fun to see myself getting better at it with each run

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That review of Elden Ring did more to sell me on it than anything else I've seen.

Still lukewarm on the archtype, so I'll still probably wait until game pass or its <$20

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I pre-ordered Elden Ring and Total War: Warhammer III and I regret nothing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Title is a bit much but Iron Pineapple is a good youtuber and their review is fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdstSHeoNGA

There's gonna be a tutorial dungeon too for absolute new people. This is the one to play if you've been curious about Souls games.

another demon souls? how many have been made now?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496527074483392520
Lol at the babies crying about this

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kim liked my sad song 🥺

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
elden ring should have a quest log

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
quest logs are good for people that play only a little bit occasionally because it lets you pick up a game a few weeks later and still know what's up and what you should do next

but it's not surprising that the people who binge through a whole 40 hour game in a single weekend think that they're "dumbing down" and "for casuals".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imo not having a quest log is a worthwhile experiment of trying to move people away from mechanistically checkboxing through a game - basically giving open world skinner boxes the original dark souls treatment

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I fuckin did it, I beat the yakuza games

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
quests in fromsoft games are very weird though, they aren’t traditional quests like most games. they have multiple solutions that can be obscure or be “finished” as a side effect of doing something innocuous elsewhere. they aren’t necessary, and sometimes you’ll find you killed the npc off by choosing a dialog option somewhere else. quest logs don’t make sense imho

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I fuckin did it, I beat the yakuza games

I beat yakuza 1 and 2 on a playstation 2, then yakuza 0, then remastered 3 4 and 5, then 6, then kiwami, and I just now beat kiwami 2 on hard mode

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I beat yakuza 1 and 2 on a playstation 2, then yakuza 0, then remastered 3 4 and 5, then 6, then kiwami, and I just now beat kiwami 2 on hard mode

Which one was your favorite?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Video Nasty posted:

Which one was your favorite?

yakuza 5

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it took me like a year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

quests in fromsoft games are very weird though, they aren’t traditional quests like most games. they have multiple solutions that can be obscure or be “finished” as a side effect of doing something innocuous elsewhere. they aren’t necessary, and sometimes you’ll find you killed the npc off by choosing a dialog option somewhere else. quest logs don’t make sense imho

it's a question of scale and proportion imo. in most of the souls games quests are thoroughly optional, they're weird little side things you may or may not notice and if you don't you have the curated part of the game to play. elden ring appears to be made entirely out of noticing there's a weird thing over there and eventually (maybe kilometers or hours later) getting a chance to check it out. you may have a dozen things you want to check out at once and at that point the game should help you keep track of it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao i'm in coma

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28oKkM-UjU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

which yakuza was the one with camsite minigame or some poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

which yakuza was the one with camsite minigame or some poo poo

most of them, it's like GTA except with real style rub and tugs and no slurs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

most of them, it's like GTA except with real style rub and tugs and no slurs

i remember watching streamer play one of the games, it looked cool. the combat didnt look like something id personally enjoy though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yakuza is rude, but the game never calls anyone a tranny like GTA does

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yakuza is rude, but the game never calls anyone a tranny like GTA does

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

same

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
anyway they remade that poo poo for a reason

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

congrats smoka, you are now a real japanese gangster

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

congrats smoka, you are now a real japanese gangster

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

SmokaDustbowl posted:

anyway they remade that poo poo for a reason

yes, they left it as "okama" which is a slur in japanese.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not going to debate the games with people who haven't played them

I've played them and they're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
they are good and idgaf about slurs, im just pointing out you're wrong that they don't call people slurs