Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWYP95WbbY

I'm watching the first episode and it's so hard to get through, I'm so embarrassed for everyone involved in this.

I watched this show religiously in elementary school, both it and its second season successor Club Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhHlhovepKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

Layaway feels like a mad 90s things; do stores even do layaway anymore?

Stuff like PayPal's pay-in-four option have supplanted it I think.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That whole Mario dance that’s just swinging your arms and then taking a step and then swinging your arms some more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

END OF AN ERROR posted:

It was horrible rap music. So it sucked, but in a different way.

If i remember correctly, he basically bought his way into detroits rap community to try to get street cred.

If you're a Canadian of a certian age you certainly remember the annual Much Dance cds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-O4X2Jlwtc

They made these cds up until relatively recently. The companion for these for the rock inclined was Big Shiny Tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxrlWxGLmg

Both these were big sellers here, as they were good collections of recently hits that were cost effective for kids who couldn't afford to buy every cd and didn't know how to tape off the radio or mp3s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/Nheme9Q.mp4

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That machine was rad as hell when I played it in elementary school

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Now this is Pod Racing! :eyepop:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The only pods from the 90's that mattered.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I can't look at the pod racer onscreen as anything but 2 human legs, splayed out, joined by a chain at the ankles.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

twistedmentat posted:

If i remember correctly, he basically bought his way into detroits rap community to try to get street cred.

If you're a Canadian of a certian age you certainly remember the annual Much Dance cds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-O4X2Jlwtc

They made these cds up until relatively recently. The companion for these for the rock inclined was Big Shiny Tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxrlWxGLmg

Both these were big sellers here, as they were good collections of recently hits that were cost effective for kids who couldn't afford to buy every cd and didn't know how to tape off the radio or mp3s.

gently caress yes. I've been listening to a podcast about 90s CanRock (Rave and Drool) and bought a book on the history of Big Shiny Tunes because of it, and the encyclopedia on aforementioned CanRock Have Not Been The Same. Loved that poo poo.

And this is everyone's reminder to listen to Sloan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The best thing to come out of the terrible prequel trilogy. Except maybe RLM

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

I can't look at the pod racer onscreen as anything but 2 human legs, splayed out, joined by a chain at the ankles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEv897dle8&t=71s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Milo and POTUS posted:

the n64/pc game is quite :discourse:, and got a reissue on switch/xbox/pc in 2020

it’s the only game I’ve finished 100% of in the past like five years

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

the n64/pc game is quite :discourse:, and got a reissue on switch/xbox/pc in 2020

it’s the only game I’ve finished 100% of in the past like five years

Yeah I completed that in the early 00's, I tried playing it again recently and my reflexes are definitely not what they used to be, some of those later levels are brutal

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Milo and POTUS posted:

The best thing to come out of the terrible prequel trilogy.

Well of course, the podracing sequence was basically ripped off from a 1970s Norwegian puppet movie. Steal from the best...

In case you think I am making this poo poo up:

https://vimeo.com/84289137

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Milo and POTUS posted:

RLM in general, or Pickett's reviews specifically? It's been a few years since I watched them, I don't think they hold up that well.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Smbss is a work of art compared to the super Mario world cartoon

https://youtu.be/BJs2auMVm50

Well at least to my discerning 8 year old taste

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ambitious Spider posted:

Smbss is a work of art compared to the super Mario world cartoon

https://youtu.be/BJs2auMVm50

Well at least to my discerning 8 year old taste

That video tastes like froot loops.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Thomamelas posted:

This will forever live in my head as being peak awesome and nothing has ever matched it.

My biggest regret is not playing in the leagues they had.

But I was also 13 so I don’t know how I could do that since Dave and Buster’s didn’t permit kids past like, 8 pm or whatever.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

This will forever live in my head as being peak awesome and nothing has ever matched it.

My biggest regret is not playing in the leagues they had.

But I was also 13 so I don’t know how I could do that since Dave and Buster’s didn’t permit kids past like, 8 pm or whatever.

At the place I went to, the leagues turned on a bunch of stuff with the side displays. So you could customize them and use them as various read-outs. Also it would make it so heat was a bigger factor. But yes, those pods made my inner 12 year old scream with glee. They were loving awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Neito posted:

RLM in general, or Pickett's reviews specifically? It's been a few years since I watched them, I don't think they hold up that well.

RLM is great and their plethora of content is so much better and bigger than Plinkett

Semi-related but not really, I’ve recently gotten very into Found Footage Fest and VCR Party.

Top notch content if you want that sweet 90s video slop

Groke posted:

Well of course, the podracing sequence was basically ripped off from a 1970s Norwegian puppet movie. Steal from the best...

In case you think I am making this poo poo up:

https://vimeo.com/84289137

Right on.

Also, it’s amazing how well the podracing sequence holds up 23 years later vs a ton of newer CG.

It’s a shame that the prequels are as inconsistent and half-baked as they are, because there’s so much stuff in them— from individual ideas, to plot elements, worldbuilding elements, costumes, music, filmmaking tech, etc— that’s loving inspired.

If you watch them with any close temporal proximity to the Disney sequels, you really get a sense for how much better, more ambitious, and exponentially more creative they were than anything Disney was on, and how bereft of good ideas JJ Abrams at his peak is compared to George Lucas at his nadir.

Honestly, I wonder if George’s biggest sin with the prequels was trying too hard. Also the obsession with pushing green/blue screen filmmaking at the expense of the final product. Those movies would’ve probably been much better if they’d gone with a more Disney-style hybrid approach WRT practical effects. It’s not like they didn’t have the budget for it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lucas really wanted to do everything with editing in post, including changing shot composition by moving actors around by a few feet, or merging different takes of the same line together (like in anakin's convo with palpatine where he just morphs between poses).

And like that's technically technologically possible but not a great workflow.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The biggest problem with the prequels was that George Lucas directed them. He tried to get other people to do it, but no one wanted to take on the risk of screwing up the new Star Wars movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ok Comboomer posted:

RLM is great and their plethora of content is so much better and bigger than Plinkett

Semi-related but not really, I’ve recently gotten very into Found Footage Fest and VCR Party.

Top notch content if you want that sweet 90s video slop

Right on.

Also, it’s amazing how well the podracing sequence holds up 23 years later vs a ton of newer CG.

It’s a shame that the prequels are as inconsistent and half-baked as they are, because there’s so much stuff in them— from individual ideas, to plot elements, worldbuilding elements, costumes, music, filmmaking tech, etc— that’s loving inspired.

If you watch them with any close temporal proximity to the Disney sequels, you really get a sense for how much better, more ambitious, and exponentially more creative they were than anything Disney was on, and how bereft of good ideas JJ Abrams at his peak is compared to George Lucas at his nadir.

Honestly, I wonder if George’s biggest sin with the prequels was trying too hard. Also the obsession with pushing green/blue screen filmmaking at the expense of the final product. Those movies would’ve probably been much better if they’d gone with a more Disney-style hybrid approach WRT practical effects. It’s not like they didn’t have the budget for it.

Yeah.

When Mando got a Naboo Fighter in that Boba Fett show, I got the itch to rewatch Episode I. It's such a frustrating experience because there's a lot right with it. Unfortunately for everything they got right they got 0.75 things wrong.

I definitely feel like the tech they're using now is what Lucas was gunning for, we just couldn't have massive screens with realtime Unreal powered backgrounds 20 years ago

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Lucas really wanted to do everything with editing in post, including changing shot composition by moving actors around by a few feet, or merging different takes of the same line together (like in anakin's convo with palpatine where he just morphs between poses).

And like that's technically technologically possible but not a great workflow.

he should’ve gone into animated films

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

The biggest problem with the prequels was that George Lucas directed them. He tried to get other people to do it, but no one wanted to take on the risk of screwing up the new Star Wars movies.

Eh, I'm not 100% sure about that one, since what made the OT work was having someone who was willing to tell him something was stupid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I will never care for the prequels, but you can't dare accuse Lucas of just retreading the old hits.

Episode 2 and 3 are still full of lovely pandering, but it's always something different than what happened in the OT. Yoda lightsaber fighting and Jango Fett and Chewie meeting Yoda are loving dumb as gently caress and lame as balls, but Episodes 7 and 9 show what happens when you just want to keep doing reruns. Abrams absolutely doesn't know how to do anything that isn't a direct iteration on something that came before. Sometimes it kind-of works but more often than not it's just flash.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mind the walrus posted:

I will never care for the prequels, but you can't dare accuse Lucas of just retreading the old hits.

Episode 2 and 3 are still full of lovely pandering, but it's always something different than what happened in the OT. Yoda lightsaber fighting and Jango Fett and Chewie meeting Yoda are loving dumb as gently caress and lame as balls, but Episodes 7 and 9 show what happens when you just want to keep doing reruns. Abrams absolutely doesn't know how to do anything that isn't a direct iteration on something that came before. Sometimes it kind-of works but more often than not it's just flash.

Yeah at this point I've come around to: Lucas was right to try to introduce more complicated stuff like politics into Star Wars, because otherwise it's just diminishing returns -- but unfortunately he just really, really sucked at it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The prequels really needed to pick a good villain and stick with it for all three movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

The prequels really needed to pick a good villain and stick with it for all three movies.

Grievous was such a letdown in Episode 3 after seeing him hold off multiple Jedi with pure skill in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars miniseries.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thomamelas posted:

they still exist

https://www.mechcorps.com/

edit: they do/did go to origins and gencon

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Am I the only one weirded about how quiet the podcasting sequence is? How there's no music during the race? How do you not get John Williams to do some big intense theme for that?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Vandar posted:

Am I the only one weirded about how quiet the podcasting sequence is? How there's no music during the race? How do you not get John Williams to do some big intense theme for that?
Well, you need to be able to hear the hosts talk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darthemed posted:

Well, you need to be able to hear Greg Proops talk.

:allears:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The prequels suck, the sequels are generic, so much so they suck even worse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

it’s especially jarring when you consider the thematic importance of said sequence

it foreshadows the coming split between Anakin and Obi-Wan over the terms of a Spotify licensing contract

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The prequels suck, the sequels are generic, so much so they suck even worse.

The Force Awakens, on its own, is an okay safe film. The Last Jedi is anything but generic. It misses as much as it hits, but when its hits it lands solid and has some fantastic ideas to build upon.

The Rise of Skywalker is an unsalvageable two-and-a-half hour soul-draining trainwreck that is one of the few movies I don't think I could bring myself to sit through a second time.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Force Awakens, on its own, is an okay safe film. The Last Jedi is anything but generic. It misses as much as it hits, but when its hits it lands solid and has some fantastic ideas to build upon.

The Rise of Skywalker is an unsalvageable two-and-a-half hour soul-draining trainwreck that is one of the few movies I don't think I could bring myself to sit through a second time.

This is the best description I have seen of the sequels to date.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:hmmyes: