Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Corla Plankun posted:

what happens if they don't set up to pay people legally? i don't understand the mechanism by which it matters. would israel sue a company in another country? why would they care if they don't do business in israel?

in most countries a business isnt just responsible for paying cash money to an employee, but there are also a number of taxes and social benefits they need to pay into, and they need to report salaries to the government so income taxes are correct. what do you think a w2 is for?

a local contracting agency will do this too. but what we are talking about is digital nomad type stuff, where it's just one guy working in a place without any accompanying paperwork

around here, in addition to income tax withholding, my employer is also required to pay into social insurance, a local housing fund, a government maternity benefit fund, unemployment insurance, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i really don't understand why anyone would care. I wonder if this type of thing could do material damage to a country or if it is just one of those weird capitalist taboos

you'll end up with the same poo poo you see in shipping where nearly all the cargo ships are registered in liberia or panama to take advantage of their minimal oversight and low tax burden but then go all over the place. businesses will all incorporate somewhere with a near zero tax burden and then not pay those taxes into the places there employees live and so things like health care, social security, etc won't have anything near the paltry funding they already get in the us.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

fart simpson posted:

around here, in addition to income tax withholding, my employer is also required to pay into social insurance, a local housing fund, a government maternity benefit fund, unemployment insurance, etc

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i think i was missing it because i live in texas which doesn't do fucken any of that at all, it seemed like a lot of fuss for the income tax but i can see now how it would be a pretty big deal in companies with higher taxes and actual functional governments

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

dang wonder why he wanted to roll out there

his wife got accepted to some fancy med-school

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kitten emergency posted:

they were already doing that

yeah i don’t see how this changes anything

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
our office is open next monday but they rolled out a work from anywhere in the US policy to get around mandating vaccines for employees that want to show up to hq. our office is a very high floor in 1 WTC with a good pantry so I’m stoked to start getting free breakfast again and take in my window seat with fantastic views of brooklyn. also miss the Vietnamese place down there with fantastic pho and spring rolls so I’ll prob mosey over there before happy hour.

i got my approval to relocate this summer anyway so im perma wfh, just going to be doing east coast hours on west coast until HR figures out time zone policies (they’re working on it!!!) also no downgrade on my pay. time to stack paper.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol someone who works on the 16th floor was f my office building had contact with someone who tested positive for covid and on confirmation they sealed my entire office building, locking anyone inside who hadn’t left yet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fart simpson posted:

lol someone who works on the 16th floor was f my office building had contact with someone who tested positive for covid and on confirmation they sealed my entire office building, locking anyone inside who hadn’t left yet

do you have pantry snacks to survive on, maybe ferret in a desk drawer for an old candy bar

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

Please make vlog like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQpujuVYOI

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

that rules

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not in the office, that was a coworkers picture. idk if they’re stuck there all night or what

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
lmao i'm in a meeting where a manager is telling us that we set the tenor for other people in responding to back to office plans

it's almost like he knows that i'm connecting people who want to leave with open positions elsewhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

do you have pantry snacks to survive on, maybe ferret in a desk drawer for an old candy bar

there’s snacks and drinks in the office anyway, yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they already unsealed the building but we need a new negative covid test to enter the building again, so wfh tomorrow it is

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm at a medical conference, there is an approximately 1% prevalence of mask wearing

Apr 7, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I'm at a medical conference, there is an approximately 1% prevalence of mask wearing

My manager just told us all he's got covid for the second time and he's at the hospital because he's having a hard time breathing

He's in his early 40s, has three kids, and since he's divorced and has dual custody he has no control over where his kids are and what they do half the time. what a loving mess

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i was putting in an order at a shop and the lady there told me that she'd had covid 3 times, and that the worst one was last fall while she'd been pregnant. i went in to pick up the poo poo i'd ordered and they told me she wasn't there because she'd gone to a conference in arizona and tested positive again, so wasn't allowed back into canada for 2 weeks. owned

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My manager just told us all he's got covid for the second time and he's at the hospital because he's having a hard time breathing

He's in his early 40s, has three kids, and since he's divorced and has dual custody he has no control over where his kids are and what they do half the time. what a loving mess

half price apps and $5 brewtuses tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want my raspberry chipotle chicken swirls

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

grats on your impending promotion to management

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

that's weird, because covid is over

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
https://twitter.com/hirokonishimura/status/1496835212533284864

COVID’s over, nothing to see

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

so mild

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

maybe i'm weird but this seems a little judgey

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
like maybe it's just a lil dunk against an otherwise bad person but it's some real 60s housewife poo poo also

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kenny Logins posted:

like maybe it's just a lil dunk against an otherwise bad person but it's some real 60s housewife poo poo also

yeah and everyone knows we're better than housewives itt

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

point conceded

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
having a normal one at work where they tell of us the evacuation plans for our ukrainian engineers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

all covid death count releases should be reported with splits of vaccinated vs unvaccinated imo

2000 deaths/day is a lot less informative than eg. 1900 unvaccinated and 100 vaccinated deaths/day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

all covid death count releases should be reported with splits of vaccinated vs unvaccinated imo

2000 deaths/day is a lot less informative than eg. 1900 unvaccinated and 100 vaccinated deaths/day

would it make u feel better?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fart simpson posted:

would it make u feel better?

idk we haven't had a deaths/day average above 20 here throughout the entire pandemic but I also live in a country where people get their shots so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

lol imagine marrying a house. pathetic.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

this could very well not turn out the way you might hope due to Simpson’s paradox (if I recall correctly). you can have more vaccinated people dying than unvaccinated and vaccination could still be the right thing to do. example, most deaths are in the above 65 age bracket. but in the US most states have 80% or more seniors vaccinated. if 60% of the deaths are vaxxed that’s clearly still better to be vaccinated if you understand it’s lower than the proportion of population vaccinated but you have to really explain how to people and they might not want to bother to learn.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

fart simpson posted:

personally, I’m not cool enough to take a drag on a cigarette and then say something petty and cutting, January Jones as Betty Draper style

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

President Beep posted:

lol imagine marrying a house. pathetic.

either way it's a cavernous space that has no idea you're inside it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DominoKitten posted:

they might not want to bother to learn.

might?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DominoKitten posted:

this could very well not turn out the way you might hope due to Simpson’s paradox (if I recall correctly). you can have more vaccinated people dying than unvaccinated and vaccination could still be the right thing to do. example, most deaths are in the above 65 age bracket. but in the US most states have 80% or more seniors vaccinated. if 60% of the deaths are vaxxed that’s clearly still better to be vaccinated if you understand it’s lower than the proportion of population vaccinated but you have to really explain how to people and they might not want to bother to learn.
Turns out that even with Simpson's paradox effects the case is still obvious, the vaccines are just that good.

California's stats today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Though I suppose it's important those are per capita of the subpopulation numbers, rather than total numbers. IE deaths per million vaccinated, deaths per million unvaccinated.

Apr 7, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

maybe i'm weird but this seems a little judgey

....what..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

emh nm it's not interesting to talk about. maybe i just feel bad for divorced people