Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My first VR experience was playing Duke Nukem 3D on a headset at Disney World, and it was awful and didn't even look three-dimensional. They couldn't have even had Dactyl's Nightmare set up or anything remotely cool, just a game I could play at home but worse.

That awful experience, if anything, made me want real VR that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another stupid fake video about Metaverse, gently caress yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTislcoD4eA

And Zuck showing a 'builder bot' concept. Just don't expect to release any time soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTFTH43AoiQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Birds fly, fish swim, HTC continues to flail about with absolutely no idea what the gently caress they're doing with the Vive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I distinctly remember the Dactyl Nightmare unit having pretty low FPS, enough that I noticed it as a kid. I don’t recall the FOV, nor did I know what that was anyway.

The tracking seemed really accurate to me (or at least it didn’t swim), but the FPS were low enough that it seemed laggy given how much you could move between frames.

I think it was also helpful to go in with an understanding of FPS games, because I had played a lot of Doom, and my friend who also tried it (we were in a two player cabinet) but was not into video games really at all, just spent the entire time walking into a corner.

By the way, someone recreated dactyl nightmare for modern systems!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1333056616777885/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you are curious in how well (or bad) Cities Skyline is going to move in Quest 2, there is a page to signup for a limited beta
https://fasttravelgames.com/signup

Also, to no one's surprise, Ancient Dungeon is migrating from AppLab to official store
https://twitter.com/dv_eric/status/1496588896775421954

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Is Steam VR via Virtual Desktop/Quest 2 just really janky? Tried playing one of the new demos and the menu screen loads beneath the floor. Bought Ultrawings and it freezes on startup if launched from Steam, after a lot of googling and just finding people with the same problem I eventually found a way to launch it from VD directly. I do like the Quest 2 a lot but I'm finding a lot of things frustrating trying to use it as a PCVR headset.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Reek posted:

Is Steam VR via Virtual Desktop/Quest 2 just really janky? Tried playing one of the new demos and the menu screen loads beneath the floor. Bought Ultrawings and it freezes on startup if launched from Steam, after a lot of googling and just finding people with the same problem I eventually found a way to launch it from VD directly. I do like the Quest 2 a lot but I'm finding a lot of things frustrating trying to use it as a PCVR headset.

Mine works pretty good. But I got a new 5G router, and I have a gtx 3070. I got much better performance from VD than airlink. I launch games from the VD games menu.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

ChocNitty posted:

Mine works pretty good. But I got a new 5G router, and I have a gtx 3070. I got much better performance from VD than airlink. I launch games from the VD games menu.

I bought a 5g router and my computer is just a bit older with a 2060. Launching through Steam may be causing the jank and I may just need to launch everything through VD

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I use my quest 2 mostly as a pcvr headset, it can be a jittery experience on airlink but goes pretty smooth with a cable, which isn't as bothersome as I thought (I don't play very active games though, lots of Skyrim and stuff like moss or similar experiences)

SteamVR has always been kinda janky though. Skyrim still has the main menu below the floor like you say and with airlink it generally had trouble loading certain games and the home

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For google especially I’ve never understood why they would want to train ai off the audio in your house when they have a massive archive of real human speech on every topic in existence in the form of every single YouTube video, which is millions if not billions of hours of data, all accessible at any time for them

They're pervos, probably

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

GWBBQ posted:

I followed the tutorial video and QuestCraft will play music while loading but just hang on the three dots. I'll give it another shot once my headset is charged, but maybe I just have to wait for an update.

Sounds more like airsoft than paintball.

Let me throw a bit of nostalgia at you

drat

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
New Until You Fall update incoming Mar 17. Includes 2 handed weapons and other things

https://uploadvr.com/until-you-fall-two-handed-weapons/

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I distinctly remember the Dactyl Nightmare unit having pretty low FPS, enough that I noticed it as a kid. I don’t recall the FOV, nor did I know what that was anyway.

The tracking seemed really accurate to me (or at least it didn’t swim), but the FPS were low enough that it seemed laggy given how much you could move between frames.

I think it was also helpful to go in with an understanding of FPS games, because I had played a lot of Doom, and my friend who also tried it (we were in a two player cabinet) but was not into video games really at all, just spent the entire time walking into a corner.

By the way, someone recreated dactyl nightmare for modern systems!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1333056616777885/

Oh poo poo! I remember playing that on holiday once, as a kid! Unless there are two games with pterodactyls that come out of the sky at you...

I'm still pissed off at the instructor for not telling me that you could actually aim the gun at the pterodactyl. I kept looking at it, frantically squeezing the trigger, and it kept eating me. So for me it was a game of "every so often a pterodactyl comes and eats you and there's nothing you can do about it". How was I to know you could move your hand separately...?

I also remember muttering to myself "now where are you?..." and to my surprise the other player responded. They also didn't tell us we were mic'd and could talk to each other...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My first VR experience was playing decent 3D and the guy running it just yelling at me over and over that I shouldn't' fly upside down until I took the helmet off and didn't want to play anymore then my dad got super mad at me because the ticket to play it was like 18 bucks.

I don't think the game even had VR, it was just first person and in 3D

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I played ActiveWorlds back in the late 90s and early 00s, so VRChat is a dream come true for me :v:

AW is still around but they haven't implemented VR yet.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
speaking of kids too young for VR- seems bad!
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/t0bcgb/dr_says_my_son_has_a_shoulder_impingement_from/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How does this Quest 2 referral code thing works? I have one and want some free game moneys.

edit: Also my first VR experience was in, I believe, Walnut Creek, CA around 1994? Some big VRcade thing that had all the big fancy VR games. It was fun.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 25, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You have to use the code before you turn the quest on for the first time.

You used to be able to do a factory reset and claim the code that way, but they stopped that a month ago

It might work if you make a new facebook account

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kazy posted:

I played ActiveWorlds back in the late 90s and early 00s, so VRChat is a dream come true for me :v:

AW is still around but they haven't implemented VR yet.

I was all about ActiveWorlds in the late 90s, I want so bad for a VR mod but that's the least likely thing ever. I think it's only still up to protect patents or something and doesn't get real meaningful updates so I could never see a VR update coming out. I don't think there's a single RenderWare game that has gotten a VR mod so who knows where to start.

I'll still, every couple months or so, jump in ActiveWorlds and warp to random coordinates until I find things like "Jimmy's Pokemon/WCW City," it's such a time capsule of the early 2000s/late 90s.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Is Kiwi Design a Chinese company or do they just not have a legal department because this poo poo seems designed to cause injuries and damage in at least four different ways.

https://www.kiwidesign.shop/collections/oculus-quest-2-accessories/products/vr-dumbbell-for-oculus-quest-2

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: nm I'm dumb

This is a thing in the app that says "refer a friend and both get $30" in the mobile app.

It says max $600 a month. So surely that means I can use my referral code for someone that has yet to turn theirs on right?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 25, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BonoMan posted:

Oh huh. This was a $30 opportunity presented to me *in* the Oculus, so maybe it's something different?

yes, it's a referral, you could have done one on your headset with someone else's link before setting up your headset

now that it's set up you can only refer other people

so if you know someone that's getting a quest 2 you can do a referral and you'll both get $30

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Leathal posted:

Is Kiwi Design a Chinese company or do they just not have a legal department because this poo poo seems designed to cause injuries and damage in at least four different ways.

https://www.kiwidesign.shop/collections/oculus-quest-2-accessories/products/vr-dumbbell-for-oculus-quest-2

lol yeah, that is a bad idea. The only reason I could think at all to use those is if you wanted to match a particular boxing glove weight. edit - 4 weight plates would get you pretty close to a 12oz glove

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TIP posted:

yes, it's a referral, you could have done one on your headset with someone else's link before setting up your headset

now that it's set up you can only refer other people

so if you know someone that's getting a quest 2 you can do a referral and you'll both get $30

yep sorry just edited my post to reflect! I'm tired and got my wires crossed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leathal posted:

Smiling radiantly at the pack including "strengthen knob base"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It’s funny how deep and well thought out the flying mechanics in zenith are. It’s this ultra nuanced system like nothing else in any other game that could not exist outside vr, then no part of the game requires it at all and most of it is turned off by default.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Maybe they weren't sure if it would be a hit or not, and didn't want to gate any gameplay behind it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

BrainDance posted:

I was all about ActiveWorlds in the late 90s, I want so bad for a VR mod but that's the least likely thing ever. I think it's only still up to protect patents or something and doesn't get real meaningful updates so I could never see a VR update coming out. I don't think there's a single RenderWare game that has gotten a VR mod so who knows where to start.

I'll still, every couple months or so, jump in ActiveWorlds and warp to random coordinates until I find things like "Jimmy's Pokemon/WCW City," it's such a time capsule of the early 2000s/late 90s.

I was big into active worlds, I wonder if there is a way to find my old builds?

I started on Worlds Online, then active worlds, and than second life.

Edit: Just stumbled on this, pretty good watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md1fFTymGYI

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 25, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s funny how deep and well thought out the flying mechanics in zenith are. It’s this ultra nuanced system like nothing else in any other game that could not exist outside vr, then no part of the game requires it at all and most of it is turned off by default.

Glitch gliding is my absolute favorite thing to do in Zenith. Supposedly it was even better in alpha but the devs decided they’d rather tone it down and leave it in the game rather than remove it which is awesome. I love these sorts of unintentional mechanics that add to a game’s skillcap.

Here’s a pretty decent tutorial/example. Personally, I think the DJ record scratch method is the easiest but he covers other techniques too.

https://youtu.be/j4fThJnmNCM

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Harminoff posted:

I was big into active worlds, I wonder if there is a way to find my old builds?

http://aw.softstar.se/property/

There is!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Eyes Have It posted:

Maybe they weren't sure if it would be a hit or not, and didn't want to gate any gameplay behind it.

I feel like the game is designed around climbing being a major system and they added gliding as a throw away thing for a way to get down once you climbed up.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Pistol Whip update is fairly average, but Pistol Whip continues to be awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I helped my brother in law set up X-plane to work with his Quest 2 last night and I had a lot of fun playing around while testing everything and it may have given me the flight sim bug again.

Has MSFS VR gotten any better lately?

I played it on release day with a 1080ti and a Ryzen 5 2600x and it was unplayable

Today I have the same cpu and a 3070ti, but I also don’t have game pass any more so I’d have to buy it

How’s it working these days?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I helped my brother in law set up X-plane to work with his Quest 2 last night and I had a lot of fun playing around while testing everything and it may have given me the flight sim bug again.

Has MSFS VR gotten any better lately?

I played it on release day with a 1080ti and a Ryzen 5 2600x and it was unplayable

Today I have the same cpu and a 3070ti, but I also don’t have game pass any more so I’d have to buy it

How’s it working these days?

The cpu bottleneck at the release is gone so you should get much more use out of your 3070.

it's still not perfect but you should be able to tweak your settings for a fairly smooth game play.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I have a 3070ti and R5 5600 and it runs fine for me on medium-ish settings. In-game menus were totally broken for a long time in VR but they're mostly fixed now except for the flight log which makes it annoying to do the bush flights. There's also a tool you can get called OpenXR toolkit which lets you tweak resolution and scaling and use things like FSR. I think it's better with a high res headset like the reverb though as it makes things a bit grainy on my Q2.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
there is nothing as satisfying as flinging a blade at someone in blade and sorcery

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there VR driving games that would be good for a ten year old to dink around or cause mayhem in? He wants to drive something, was thinking of getting a wheel and setting it up with him on his PC.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Driving games are hard because, at least from my experience, they're motion sickness city.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Glagha posted:

Driving games are hard because, at least from my experience, they're motion sickness city.

Yes.

You can try this for free and see how you/he holds up. For me it's barf city. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3927222113966481/

Drifting is fun but I can only handle about 3 laps before it's too nauseating for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The problem is that in order to get to non-barf city, you have to use something approaching an actual race sim. But then your 10 year old has to figure out a race sim.

I’ve not had good experiences with games like touring karts, they make me sick, but touring karts has a demo to try, maybe your son will do ok? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1088950/Touring_Karts/

https://www.oculus.com/deeplink/?action=view&path=app/3714602415301811&ref=oculus_desktop

That being said, Assetto Corsa is often on sale for a couple bucks, supports VR and can be made easy enough (automatic transmission, racing line, ABS, etc) that a kid could handle the driving.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 28, 2022