Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Maerlyn posted:

:ghost:

My sister made this kick rear end greek kabob meal with grilled halloumi for dinner tonight. I think I could just eat roasted vegetables all day long, the seasoning was to die for. Meat was a bit tough so I might have used chicken instead but still tasty as hell.

I was going to make truffles but I'm out of cream cheese and it's horribly cold today...I don't want to run to the store :(

Roasted, seasoned vegetables and rice rule! I like mine with a speck of curry powder too, but it can be tricky to add the right amount to not have everything just taste of curry. Also work great (with a bit of cheese) as a pie filling!

Also, that flash deal gave me an excuse to try something I've been wanting to do for a good time, but which I have never done because I think it'll be bad news for my stomach. Guess being creative to avoid lactose pitfalls is an added challenge!

And I can pair it with truffle cooking! Which, lol, I was also going to do yesterday, but I have a stupid cold and I was in no mood to go ingredient shopping in the evening.

So, what do you say to a cookie truffle battle? I am totally down for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Truffles!

I took Maer's advice because I remembered that recipe making a ton of truffles, but not how much I used to put in. Turns out Spanish Oreo packages are, well... smaller. So I put half in, then had to add the rest because it was too wet, and still I got 10 truffles, so lol.

Glass is a shot of whisky, the orange I used the juice of one half of it. The rest of the things are almond crocanti, cream cheese, chocolate pearls for decoration and fondant chocolate for covering.

Triturate the Oreo. We used to have a food processor that did this, it broke, so I put them on a bit of plastic and cracked them using a rolling pin. I felt very proud of myself until someone came by and asked wtf I was doing. I bought one of those small handheld food processors for the house two weeks ago. I completely forgot about it.

Mix everything. It usually gets too wet at this stage, you don't want it to be too dried up or you'll make small Oreo stones, but it should be thick enough to amass. I added the rest of the cookies in at this point.

Chocolate goes into bain Mary.

Dough gets rolled up. They were still a bit sticky and they got down a bit while resting, but they mostly retained their shape.

Put truffles into the chocolate bath, take out, put into a tinfoil sheet, decorate with chocolate bits and crunchy almonds, put that into cooler for half an hour, forget to snap pics of any of that.

Result! Those are undeniably tasty, if sweet. The liqueur and the orange juice do help a bit with the sweet part, tho. I've always liked them, and those came out tasting good, so success!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 23, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Part 2: soupy stuff!

I had a lot of leftover chocolate with some oreo crumbs in it. Let's use that up, this is chocolate soup!

Some cream and milk, chocolate and some raspberries and blueberries.

Melt around 200g of chocolate again.

Heat up some cream and milk with grated orange peel and a cinnamon stick. Let it boil a bit. It didn't give much taste, probably should have let it infusionate a bit more. Oh, well.

Mix chocolate and milk/cream mixture. You want a mostly liquid thing, a bit thinner than hot chocolate. At that point I was heavily questioning my decission to make this, tho.

Tasted it and it was a bit... boring. Mostly bitter. So I added a bit of fun - cayenne pepper (just enough to be barely noticeable, but give it a small spicy aftertaste), a bit of cinnamon, and salt. Was really impressed by how well the salt meshed with the bitterness, it really improved it.

Served in glasses, about 2 cm of chocolate in each (and it is a generous serving). Crunched some raspberrys and put them in, added blueberries on top, and crunchy almonds.

I got surprised by how tasty this turned out to be. It is still chocolate cream, but the fruits really blended in, and the crunchyness added a great texture. Family suggested adding whisky to this, too, and I really can see it - may try it next time. Some crushed orange also may suit it. Overall a success, though to be eaten in small doses, it's a bit heavy!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandicap posted:

:siren:What's this, a very late flash deal!?:siren:

Make something soupy.

Something Soupy is worth 25 points.

This deal will last 72 hours or maybe longer, we'll see.

GenericGirlName posted:

Boiled broccoli smh

What!? Boiling and steaming broccoli is an entirely legit preparation! You just have to know what you are doing. When you boil, you are letting some of that broccoli goodness leech out into the water, but as long as you are using that water, you don't lose anything! So, I'm going to prep the most simple soup in my repertoire, but it's simplicity doesn't take away from it's deliciousness. It's basically 4 ingredients, but 3 of them are salt, pepper and water. So the only ingredient you really need is broccoli! I punch it up a little with some crumbled blue cheese and some olive oil, but that isn't required (it was required for me as I was eating it for lunch instead of on the side of something, but you know what I mean.)

Starting as usual with the mise. Very light this time because of the simplicty of the dish.

Take that broccoli, cut it down into florets, and chop up the stalks too. You will be blending it later, so just make it manageable.

Add broccoli to rapidly boiling lightly salted water. Cook for 8-10 minutes, you want to be able to pierce the broccoli easily with a paring knife. Don't go too far, you want it to stay bright green, not go to brown. You want to use as little water as possible to still cover the broccoli though.

If you have a blender, remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and put in your blender, add some of your broccoli water to it an blend to a soupy consistency, erring on the side of less water then adding more.

Or, if you are like me, and only have an immersion blender, take out as much water as possible, and do the same thing in the pot, adding the water back in as needed.

Taste here, then add a good amount of freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Blend a smidge more to distribute the seasoning.
The soup is done. To serve you can amp it up a bit. I did that by putting blue cheese on the bottom of a bowl, ladle the soup over it. Put a few drops of good olive oil on top, then float a little more blue cheese on top.

A round of goat's cheese and coconut oil work wonders as well.

Either way, this super fresh tasting soup is delicious and bright even though it is simple as hell. I was incredulous that it would taste this good when finding the recipe initially, but goddamn is it tasty!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I made a broc cheese soup back in December that started bubbling and turned into a mini volcano when I blended it. It got me pretty good, I still have a scar from the giant blister it gave me. Be careful souping

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah don’t stick blend boiling soup! Rip

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's normally how I do it but I guess this one was thicker than usual and I pumped a bunch of air into it

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Soupy chili. So good I almost ate it all before taking a pic.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Sub Rosa posted:

Soupy chili. So good I almost ate it all before taking a pic.

Today IS national chili day after all...looks good!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

No one has died in the night. It is now Day 5.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (7): GenericGirlName, Hal Insandenza, hambeet, merk, Opopanax, Tobbs Gnawed, Voodoofly

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 28th, 2022 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 4 days, 1 hour.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Why am I still aliiiiiiiiive?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I used paprika on tobbs so he didn’t do the kill unless he purposely withheld it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Who all is even still alive

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Opopanax posted:

Who all is even still alive

GenericGirlName, Hal Insandenza, hambeet, merk, Opopanax, Tobbs Gnawed, Voodoofly

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I haven't been cooking so I haven't been doing anything except waiting for death.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well I know it’s not me, and beet and tobbs are confirmed from my actions. I also feel good about merk. Hopefully someone has a good explanation for no kill last night and we can wrap this up

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Hal our I could have been a target for a kill. One of our masons powers is to protect one of us randomly. Or something like that. I’m asking Grandi to clarify if we know exactly how it works because it’s an insanely convoluted role with how the spices got added one by one but short story is if either of us was targeted it’s likely the masonry would have stopped it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah we don’t get to know any more but basically if either of us was targeted it’s likely our mason power stopped the kill.

I also did nothing last night as I have no points and every spice I had went into the masonry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So assuming you guys wouldn’t have tried to kill each other that leaves ggn

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Also we protected merk last night too as a mason action. He could have been the kill choice as well.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Also merk sorry we stole your blend. Enjoy the salt hopefully.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Voodoofly posted:

Also we protected merk last night too as a mason action. He could have been the kill choice as well.

Which would again rule either of you out since you'd know he was protected.
Ok ##vote ggn

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Opopanax posted:

I used paprika on tobbs so he didn’t do the kill unless he purposely withheld it.

what does paprika do?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

Also merk sorry we stole your blend. Enjoy the salt hopefully.

interesting

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Which would again rule either of you out since you'd know he was protected.
Ok ##vote ggn

look i probably will, but it's at this point in the game that my slight suspicion that someone is probably lying starts shifting to outright paranoia

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I can confirm the salt thing. I also can confirm you rudely stole my cool spice blend that I rudely copied from Opo the night before.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hmm ok that makes sense.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Can someone put out a list of night actions? I don't think this game is solvable given empowering spice and the spice where your night action isn't expended by using it, but it might be helpful information.

Here is me:
n1: Nothing
n2: Nothing
n3: Paprika, Celery Salt, Curing Salt, and Tumeric Blend (Busdriver, Spice Watcher / Copier) -> hambeet/merk; Sage (Roleblock) -> Tobbs. Success. Result: Gained Allspice and Sage Blend (Gossiping Interrogator);
n4: Allspice and Sage Blend -> Hal. Failed. Result: Gained Curing Salt (Spice Stealer).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

GenericGirlName posted:

I've finally caught up again.

Mae:

Since D1 I've leaned more town for mae's alignment. Starting from here:

Mae's gut reaction was good even if it the original post from ham turned out to just be some mafia dad gotcha opportunity. (As an aside, this makes me lean town for ham too, but maybe I'm biased)

(Not providing quotes here) Mae also does a lot of calling out of lurking players in a way that doesn't feel like scum trying to set up for an easy low content dunk to keep town confused. I also like the merk case, and I think it comes from a genuine town place.

Merk:

I was going to post a big thing about merk being scum here but honestly the bif case post cop feels like town merk 100%. The obama case is solid imo and as much as I hate it I do think merk has a good eye for casing scum, especially when working with as few posts as OA has.

Time to reread OA, but I don't disagree with anything merk is saying (except maybe the confidence in ham being OA's scumbuddy?)

GenericGirlName posted:

On my reread i still like OA for scum so im gonna go ahead and put my vote there. I do want to see who they think is scum though.

##vote OA

The first post opens the door to vote OA. GGN never actually analyzes OA but puts a vote down saying she reread OA. If you reread OA, where is any explanation for that vote?

##vote GGN

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Night 1: nothing
Night 2: spice cop on OA
Night 3: ultra mason with Hal
Night 4 my action: nothing

Night 4 mason action: protect merk but steal his spice and leave a salt as payment.

Merk, grand wouldn’t tell us how priority worked with the mason power so you could have failed to target Hal because our masonry protects us OR we might have stolen your spice and given you the salt before you got to act with it priority wise

And consider this a soft vote on GGN I don’t know remember what the cutoff for hammer is.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah it’s four votes and I’d put GGN at -1

If nothing else I want to give Hal a chance to show up before voting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

hambeet posted:

what does paprika do?

Empowerer, so if he did the kill it would have gone through protection

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Voodoofly posted:

Night 1: nothing
Night 2: spice cop on OA
Night 3: ultra mason with Hal
Night 4 my action: nothing

Night 4 mason action: protect merk but steal his spice and leave a salt as payment.

Merk, grand wouldn’t tell us how priority worked with the mason power so you could have failed to target Hal because our masonry protects us OR we might have stolen your spice and given you the salt before you got to act with it priority wise

And consider this a soft vote on GGN I don’t know remember what the cutoff for hammer is.

That Interrogator thing is Gossiping, so the fact that you targeted me at all means it didn't work.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I started the game with Paprika for what it's worth.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Empowerer, so if he did the kill it would have gone through protection

I don’t think tobbs is scum but this is not technically correct. If a kill was targeted at either Hal or me it might have been redirected to the masonry itself. I honestly have no idea what happens after that if the masonry is targeted for a kill.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Voodoofly posted:

I don’t think tobbs is scum but this is not technically correct. If a kill was targeted at either Hal or me it might have been redirected to the masonry itself. I honestly have no idea what happens after that if the masonry is targeted for a kill.

It specifically says the action cannot fail for any reason. Its not a 100% confirmation but I feel good about Tobbs otherwise anyways

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

I started the game with Paprika for what it's worth.

I started with cumin and mixed it with allspice to create the spice cop thing before using that blend on OA night 2.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

It specifically says the action cannot fail for any reason. Its not a 100% confirmation but I feel good about Tobbs otherwise anyways

No I just mean it could have been redirected to the masonry itself, rather than to one of us players. I don’t know what a successful kill on the idea of a masonry would entail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Voodoofly posted:

No I just mean it could have been redirected to the masonry itself, rather than to one of us players. I don’t know what a successful kill on the idea of a masonry would entail.

Maybe I missed something here, you guys just can't be killed at all?