Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"This is the first game with a message" says a lapsed gamer confidently, who can only name Super Mario and thinks its the best idea to replicate it.

This could be the apprentice nadir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao Sugar casually taking credit for developing every game on Amstrad systems.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Well this episode gets the award for the worst winning prize ever.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

stev posted:

Over 1500 games mate.

Absolute shambles, not even pretending these people are competent anymore.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I did kinda feel bad for them on this task, how is anyone meant to come up with a decent videogame concept and have a tech demo built in like two days? Hideo Kojima couldn't do that.

I do like the show seems to think 'videogames' are all 2D platformers or mindless corridor shooters as if this was the late 90s but that's probably about when Sugar last played one. I'd actually be interested to see the behind the scenes because some of the contestants will definitely have a PlayStation and must have immediately realised how dumb the setup was.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

I did kinda feel bad for them on this task, how is anyone meant to come up with a decent videogame concept and have a tech demo built in like two days? Hideo Kojima couldn't do that.

I do like the show seems to think 'videogames' are all 2D platformers or mindless corridor shooters as if this was the late 90s but that's probably about when Sugar last played one. I'd actually be interested to see the behind the scenes because some of the contestants will definitely have a PlayStation and must have immediately realised how dumb the setup was.

Yeah there was a moment when I thought the other team were going to lose because the poor intern couldn't put together a competent action stealth game in Unity in half a day. What an idiotic idea for a task.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

stev posted:

that little scripted back and forth between Tim and him was like something from a 1990s infomercial :laugh:

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

ThomasPaine posted:

To be fair, Amy's Father/Daughter bank robbery back story idea was nearing Kojima levels of complexity.

This has got to be the worst crop of contestants we've ever seen. There are usually one or two competent or likeable contestants every year among the idiots but I can't root for any of these.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. I hate the tasks where they pitch to big companies who are playing with monopoly money (do we really believe either of those games would have got any offers in the real world?). It's much more entertaining when they have to sell their half baked ideas to the general public or small businesses for real money.

Fake edit: Also lol at the losing team keep on pronouncing it "artic" even after the spelling mistake had been pointed out.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. I hate the tasks where they pitch to big companies who are playing with monopoly money (do we really believe either of those games would have got any offers in the real world?). It's much more entertaining when they have to sell their half baked ideas to the general public or small businesses for real money.

Yeah, it is rather ridiculous when Tesco randomly decides 'to order' x-thousand units of some tat giving one team victory. Plus I like how the selling to the public episodes really shows up how pointless it all is when they wildly celebrate a profit of a couple hundred quid for a few days work among the entire team, equating to far less than the minimum wage each. The fishing episode this year was particularly bad for that. I'm pretty sure they didn't include the cost of the boat hire, transportation, market store hire, or the cost of the kitchen where they did the prep. Scratch cards down the local newsagent would have made a better return.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Austen Tassletine posted:

Yeah, it is rather ridiculous when Tesco randomly decides 'to order' x-thousand units of some tat giving one team victory. Plus I like how the selling to the public episodes really shows up how pointless it all is when they wildly celebrate a profit of a couple hundred quid for a few days work among the entire team, equating to far less than the minimum wage each. The fishing episode this year was particularly bad for that. I'm pretty sure they didn't include the cost of the boat hire, transportation, market store hire, or the cost of the kitchen where they did the prep. Scratch cards down the local newsagent would have made a better return.

All of this is Alan trying to recreate his ludicrous rags to riches fantasy and show that anyone can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. He probably isn't even informed of the reality of the economics behind producing those episodes.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah I always did wonder how the pitching to business episodes worked, because obviously everyone involved knows there is no actual product and the orders are total make believe

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I always did wonder how the pitching to business episodes worked, because obviously everyone involved knows there is no actual product and the orders are total make believe

I imagine it comes down to one of two things. The "investors" take a dislike to someone in one of the teams so make an order with the opposing team to spite them. Or it comes dow the producers asking them "Okay gun to your head you have to invest in one of the products, which one was less bad?"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The magic trick that interestingly the women's team always seems to remember and the men's team neglects, is that during those pitches they can just promise any old thing and the moon on a stick to get the orders because it's not real anyway - like with the toothbrushes this year :laugh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyone else noticed how in every episode they give a clip of 4 contestants in a TV shopping task? So like, we know they aren't getting fired in the non-tv shopping tasks

i suppose who cares really, at this point, is the driving force of the show's production

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

anyone else noticed how in every episode they give a clip of 4 contestants in a TV shopping task? So like, we know they aren't getting fired in the non-tv shopping tasks

i suppose who cares really, at this point, is the driving force of the show's production

I just can't bring myself to care about who gets fired each week or who the ultimate winner will be.

Every time Aaron appeared this week he looked really sad, like he was looking back on his life and wondering where it went wrong. It was a good mirror to how the audience feels watching now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I desperately hope the fight milk girl makes it to the interview round

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that Akshay bloke with his Vince McMahon walk lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the Welsh tourist board can't be happy about that latest episode

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Nick is extremely funny and he has absolutely no idea

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
why does the narrator feel compelled to try to say the word "continues" at the end of every episode with most of the vowels missing

CNTNUS

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

why does the narrator feel compelled to try to say the word "continues" at the end of every episode with most of the vowels missing

CNTNUS

I'm amazed he can get through the episode recaps and previews without falling asleep.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
everyone interesting has been fired now

i liked Amy, she was a good poo poo stirrer

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Amy was just as vapid as the rest it seems, though she does look good for pushing 50. She has been constantly in the Manchester Evening News clickbait stories so assume she paid for some exposure, though this seems to have backfired somewhat as the facebook comments are full of angry theatre people she allegedly failed to pay after a failed venture.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh boy, if you can't get HS2 to splurge money on something, what are you even doing?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah yes, a true representation of how all vehicles are designed. One person designs the outside, another the inside, and they're not allowed to speak to each other until they've finalised the designs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what the heck is this episode lol

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Was this show always so blatant with how artificial the restrictions are? Are they really supposed to come up with some concept and branding before meeting the principal client they are pitching to, or even being told who they are? Surely at least a facade of plausibility should be maintained.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was this show always so blatant with how artificial the restrictions are? Are they really supposed to come up with some concept and branding before meeting the principal client they are pitching to, or even being told who they are? Surely at least a facade of plausibility should be maintained.

I just want to see them left to get on with a real world task however they want. As it is almost every episode winds up exactly the same - both teams gently caress up purely due to deliberately engineered miscommunication.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
either team could have won easily by just making a pod in the style of a NYC taxi or a hackney cab though

you don't need to be doing global warming awareness in every task imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm actually starting to wonder if someone working on this series was taking bets to see how ridiculous they could make sugar look in the bit where he makes his appearance to tell them what to do

you know, between rolling up in a little pod at 1mph to dramatic music and appearing as the toothfairy

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Both pods were absolute shite, the winning team getting all giddy over their "serious" million pound deal was the icing on the cake for me though, this crop definitely delivers on business-wanker schadenfreude but it does seem they've dropped the facade of the candidate's having real business acumen and ability this time.

Maybe the lack of any credible winner will wear thin as we get closer to the end but I'm still enjoying hate watching these people for now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The strings around the "present a .... to client ........" have been more visible for a few seasons, (its obvious teams are given limited scope selections) but this one is surely the nadir. Whilst it's easy to assume the teams were coached beforehand on what they could ask of a video-game designer in 24hrs, "pick a name and a colour for this car!!" is very literally something I did in a year 6 business studies taster lesson.
An actual year 9 business studies project we did was more nuanced than anything they've done in several seasons and looks more like something from the first 5.

I'm at a loss at what any of the show is meant to represent, beyond laughing at stupid decisions being a passable way to spend an hour a week.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Personally I watch it for the looks on the faces of people doing real things, like designers or chefs, who are put into situations with people who have chosen to go on a cheesey 20 years ago television gameshow with the aim of giving away half of a poo poo business to a sad and delusional old man who spends his days slabbering at people on twitter

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

The face that one guy in the audience made when Nick revealed the karaoke machine was pretty great too tbh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't even dislike the contestants anymore. They're just normal people who are slightly delusional about their business acumen. Not really worth commenting on, and they're probably alright in real life situations. It's the sad old man in charge and his cronies that I'm hate watching.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hah, no, this is the nadir of the show's concept.
What they're doing for this task is the basic concept of how corporate experience days are purchased.
You, as a manager or procurer etc, will go through the brochure and put together your experience and choose from like 3 meal options etc.
e.g. https://chillisauce.com/events

What's next week's task, putting someone's shopping in their basket for them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why did they pay insane money to a catering company if they had to do all the food and place setting themselves?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

stev posted:

Why did they pay insane money to a catering company if they had to do all the food and place setting themselves?
I can only surmise they realised shots of the contestants standing to the side as people did their experiences might not be enough, so they had to engineer something to be "chaos".
Seriously these experiences would have been the same, if not better, if the teams were replaced with a printed itinerary. Since the contestants didn't run, say, the pitstop task themselves.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the only conceivable reason for waking the contestants up at 4am every time is to sleep deprive the poor buggers to make them even less competent at anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this has really gone to poo poo. i have no idea what is meant to be happening. it's just people dressing up in different outfits and doing nonsensical things now

and shouting at each other a lot