Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Modern movies do feel incredibly frenetic and hastily edited, even when they're not marvel style frantic quip-fests, so when a movie like Dune comes along with lots of sedate sweeping shots I don't blame someone for characterising it as old-school.

I think there's something to this, and it's not just Hollywood. I watched a few Chinese historical melodramas and they've got this problem too. Even when it's a big production and they've actually got a bunch of costumed extras and a big location, they speed ramp the big sweeping shots. So, instead of panning across a huge army, it begins that motion, then suddenly jerks forward. I understand why they do it for trailers but doing it in the film is incomprehensible.

The designs may be a big part of the classification too. There's been that swing, roughly since Star Wars and Alien, to make ships more bulky and tactical. They're more likely to be all hard lines. Smooth, organic shapes tend to be the province of hyper advanced aliens. Adding to that, the ships move with a lot of stiffness and weight, recreating the type of motion you tended to see in older styles of special effects.

I described it at the time as the adaptation that would have been made in the 60s if they'd had the technology and I stick by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you know any… uhh… people? Or have you watched television?
I don’t want to get into elitist poo poo, but NCFOM is not going to be a beloved bit of cinema for most people.

It made huge money and won every award you can think of, it was a massive hit!

Easily the most popular work to date for both the Coen Bros and Cormac McCarthy.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's being said more and more that CD is loving wild

Hell yeah

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Easily the most popular work to date for both the Coen Bros and Cormac McCarthy.

170m is a lot for a drama on its budget, but shy of many forgettable romcoms and comedies. It's nowhere near the footprint of a successful summer action movie. It was great and successful within the genre, but it didn't really reach the degree of wide appeal that you seem to think. Cinephiles adore it, but your average joe who just likes to show up to theaters for Marvel flicks or date movies bounced off it hard.

If your social group is predominantly made up of people who are deep into cinema and know who the Coen Bros are, yeah everyone you know probably respects it. But the majority of society doesn't care about movies to that level. I don't think most of my non-movie buff friends have seen it all the way through, if at all.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"Other movies have made more money than it. Furthermore, it made less money than certain movies. In addition, some movies make more money."

Okay but, it also made Javier Bardem instantly world-famous. I liked when he showed up in Dune, too.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's also not slow paced. It's slower compared to something really fast, but it's not like some kind of plodding snorefest. It's just paced like a story. There are slower Michael Mann movies for gently caress's sake.

There's tons of movies that are too slow for most people (hi, A24's anything), but if No Country For Old Men is too slow for you, then so are the vast majority of all movies ever made. Like, it's faster paced than Evil Dead II, and Raimi is not exactly famous for simmering along at his own speed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can't help but suspect No Country's huge stretches of runtime with no music probably throw off a lot of people and give them the sense that the movie feels super odd, even if they don't notice that's why.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As opposed to the solid half an hour of no music and just Bruce Campbell by himself in a cabin with no dialogue in a splatstick horror comedy?

If you get bored by No Country for Old Men, how do you stay awake in like elevator rides or whatever?

(Not you, generic "you" meaning "someone")

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doesn't No Country have only like 15 minutes of music? I get that it's not the first movie ever to use silence but I think it contributes to a feeling in a lot of people that it's a somehow unusual movie experience... and, you know, that's awesome.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Not you, generic "you" meaning "someone")

pause the thread for a moment, because I was thinking about this just this morning and I need to write words about it to get it out of my system: it sucks that English speakers (esp. Americans) don't use the impersonal "one" construction anymore. "One goes to the store," "one follows one's own path," etc. it solves a lot of problems like this here where you need to spend extra words clarifying your usage of "you." but if you use it in conversation it makes you sound like a nutjob. it's bullshit! bullshit, I tell you

kalel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2022

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

170m is a lot for a drama on its budget, but shy of many forgettable romcoms and comedies. It's nowhere near the footprint of a successful summer action movie. It was great and successful within the genre, but it didn't really reach the degree of wide appeal that you seem to think. Cinephiles adore it, but your average joe who just likes to show up to theaters for Marvel flicks or date movies bounced off it hard.

If your social group is predominantly made up of people who are deep into cinema and know who the Coen Bros are, yeah everyone you know probably respects it. But the majority of society doesn't care about movies to that level. I don't think most of my non-movie buff friends have seen it all the way through, if at all.

My irl social group aren't cinephiles, that's why I post here. Most people I know saw it and loved it

it was a shoo in for best picture

Face it or flinch from it, no country for old Men is a very popular movie

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

kalel posted:

pause the thread for a moment, because I was thinking about this just this morning and I need to write words about it to get it out of my system: it sucks that English speakers (esp. Americans) don't use the impersonal "one" construction anymore. it solves a lot of problems like this here where you need to spend extra words clarifying your usage of "you." but if you use it in conversation it makes you sound like a nutjob. it's bullshit! bullshit, I tell you

O yeah, it's annoying as poo poo and I'm not a fan at all. I'm hyper aware of it and how it can make me seem even more aggressive ("when YOU do this bad thing I'm talking about YOU YOU YOU"), which is exactly why I put that in there.

Brits have it a little bit better, but German's where it's at because they have a whole generic pronoun (man) that's just for exactly that purpose and it's soooooooooooooooo much easier you don't even know. I'll be talking to someone and it can get weird or heated, and then we switch to German and it's the conversational equivalent of drinking a beer in the shower it's so much more relaxed. To the point where after my ex and I had been dating for 6 years it was one of like 18 words of German she ever learned, it was that useful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

The designs may be a big part of the classification too. There's been that swing, roughly since Star Wars and Alien, to make ships more bulky and tactical. They're more likely to be all hard lines. Smooth, organic shapes tend to be the province of hyper advanced aliens. Adding to that, the ships move with a lot of stiffness and weight, recreating the type of motion you tended to see in older styles of special effects.
Thing is, in Dune it doesn't make sense that the Heighliner should be the one to have smooth shapes that would work well for atmospheric reentry, because it does no such thing.
Meanwhile, at least as far as I remember, the Atreides ships (that I'm not sure they have in the books) don't look like they could do atmospheric reentry.

A little bit of an oversight.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Thing is, in Dune it doesn't make sense that the Heighliner should be the one to have smooth shapes that would work well for atmospheric reentry, because it does no such thing.
Meanwhile, at least as far as I remember, the Atreides ships (that I'm not sure they have in the books) don't look like they could do atmospheric reentry.

this is a joke right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's probably very much a deliberate choice to make DUNC look like it does now, as a deliberate contrast to what everyone expects out of sci-fi for the last couple decades. The whole Space Pope aesthetic of the Guild in particular I think is basically the highlight because it so demonstrates what they're going for. (and I think it says a lot about a Dune adaptation in how they handle the Navigators)

The choice of uniforms in particular looking like early 20th century Europe, the palace on Arrakis being like an overgrown bunker (and someone compared it to the Green Zone in Iraq, a fortified holdout by foreign occupiers where the only natives allowed are servants) and the mix of smooth lines, curves and minimalism that makes the extravagant elements stand out all the more. poo poo doesn't work the same way it does in Star Wars, or Star Trek, or real life, and everything's meant to emphasise that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kalel posted:

this is a joke right?
Which part?

Red Dwarf has the right idea about how non-reentry spaceships would look; a mess of angles and antennas.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bugblatter posted:

It's a 3 hour movie that feels like 90 minutes because of the tension mounting through it, which is part of the reason for its widespread success. Every single person I know whenever this movie is brought up mentions it at one of their favorites. My less adventurous friends, regular Joes/Janes from work, jocks from high school, my plebian parents...

Except for my poo poo-for-brains sister, but her tastes are revealing itself to be highly suspect.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Blood Boils posted:

It made a good return for sure but it was the 33rd highest grossing worldwide and 51st worldwide.

Behind stuff like Meet the Robinson and Evan Almighty.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Dune novels aren't concerned with being hard sci-fi, and specifically disregard the details of space travel. It's so mundane that the characters never need to comment on it. There are essentially zero details given about the spacecraft of any faction, except for hints that some of them land vertically.

In the film ships can just hover and fly slowly in any direction they want to, presumably via a scaled-up version of the anti-gravity suspensor mechanism that keeps their lamps floating. They don't need to bother with being blunt for high speed atmospheric entry.

The Guild ships are only ever described as "big" in the novels. I didn't love (or hate) the look of them in this version, but the idea that they should look like bulky, ominous, prehistoric monoliths seems right to me. Some Heighliners are thousands of years old. The space technology in Dune, particularly on the Heighliners, and especially in this film version, is so far beyond us that we shouldn't expect to see anything recognizable.

At least parts of the Heighliners are pressurized, so there's a hard sci-fi reason for them not to be angular.

The details of space travel and planetary landings hardly matter to the story or plot, so for this film they did an ominous, overbearing, brutalist retro-future vibe, and it works great.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Modern movies do feel incredibly frenetic and hastily edited, even when they're not marvel style frantic quip-fests, so when a movie like Dune comes along with lots of sedate sweeping shots I don't blame someone for characterising it as old-school.

It makes me want to ban them from all entertainment until their attention span is able to recover.

Just goes back to what Scorsese said. These "newer" pieces of poo poo aren't films. They're amusement at best. Pure dopamine rushes without any artistic merit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, I wish I encountered people with good cinematic taste as often as others in this thread do. At any rate, we can agree that NCFOM is an immaculately well-made film, even if we don't agree about the degree that it was enjoyed by society at large.

Also, the whale ships rule. Who cares about the aerodynamics of magic floating blocks that are also submarines somehow, a lot of the appeal is just how baffling and otherwordly they are.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

It made a good return for sure but it was the 33rd highest grossing worldwide and 51st worldwide.

Ah, I think I see the problem here. By apparently releasing it twice worldwide, they split their total take. Rookie mistake.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

And as we all know, if a movie does less than 25th highest worldwide gross of all time it's utterly unwatchable trash.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It makes me want to ban them from all entertainment until their attention span is able to recover.

Just goes back to what Scorsese said. These "newer" pieces of poo poo aren't films. They're amusement at best. Pure dopamine rushes without any artistic merit.

The industry has always churned out plenty movies like that. The vast majority of them are justifiably forgotten, but people went to theaters to watch them for amusement. There's a poo poo-ton of classical music that's forgettable garbage too, and most of it is never played anymore. We only remember the Mozarts and Beethovans.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im a dumbass moron who can barely even name another Coen bros movie and i loving love NCFOM

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xiahou Dun posted:

And as we all know, if a movie does less than 25th highest worldwide gross of all time it's utterly unwatchable trash.

Not the point at all. It was great. But it was “slow” and methodical and not some kind of beloved movie that’s loved by general audiences.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I could have easily taken double the run time, the movie didn’t feel slow at all to me.

I think the biggest complaint that most people had was that the movie felt quite abbreviated , I mean, discounting the whole “stealth half a movie” thing. It definitely needs the Peter Jackson extended edition treatment to let the story breath a lot more especially on the pre-invasion parts of the Atreius household on Arrakis.

I really with DV would get off his high horse and release a longer cut. It would make WB a shitload more money too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Release the Momoa Cut!!! :argh:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Momoa cut is the transition from beard to beardless (:barf:)

Also I'm not very good at making gifs but I really liked the Pink Floyd trailer so I made this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jeeves posted:

I really with DV would get off his high horse and release a longer cut. It would make WB a shitload more money too.

our only hope is Warner Bros playing the part of the evil capitalist machine and forcing DV to release a longer cut against his will

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Not the point at all. It was great. But it was “slow” and methodical and not some kind of beloved movie that’s loved by general audiences.

It definitely is, way more so than those goofy examples you used. Sorry?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kalel posted:

our only hope is Warner Bros playing the part of the evil capitalist machine and forcing DV to release a longer cut against his will

Ah, the ol' reverse snyder

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, the ol' reverse snyder

WB executive: "We love Dennis. Love, love, love him. And his movies, we let him do whatever he asks, no matter what. Often he doesn't even have to ask. And we make a point of stayingcfar away from his sets. Out of love. For Dennis.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

For the people complaining that Denis Villeneuve's treatment of Dune is slow, all you're doing is making me wish that Andrei Tartovsky had done one before his untimely demise. That would be absolutely glacial in its pacing and somehow involve a horse, but I'd be there for it. :allears:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Teshigahara's Dune, nothing but high-contrast close-ups of sand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DarkSol posted:

For the people complaining that Denis Villeneuve's treatment of Dune is slow, all you're doing is making me wish that Andrei Tartovsky had done one before his untimely demise. That would be absolutely glacial in its pacing and somehow involve a horse, but I'd be there for it. :allears:

Given the bullfighting a horse seems not particularly out of place. Hell, can picture Paul and Leto having conversations on horseback.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I feel like there is at least an hour's worth that they could add in with Duncan, Stilgar, Mapes, and Yueh.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

I think you’re thinking of conventional ballistic reentry where poo poo ablates into plasma from atmospheric friction at insane speeds.

I can guarantee you if Earth had suspensor tech we’d be taking our sweet time gently lowering craft through the atmosphere without the risk and plasma comms blackout of ballistic reentry.

DarkSol posted:

There’s a cut scene from DUNC that takes place inside a horse stable on Caladan with an actual horse in it.

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 28, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

camels tho

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Caladan’s a watery planet, right?

Hippos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
High quality content from the meme thread.