Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
when are we going to get a cyborg fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Worm feels so toothless now.

I remember that right after Koga's qualification fight, the head of the qualification division got murdered by his coworker, who was actually one of Xia's mooks. And he got mudered really brutally, in a, OH gently caress kinda way, that sort of showed you how deep undercover the Worm were and what they were capable of.

Said dude nearly kills Koga.

Then Ohma and Raian come and own all of Xia's dudes, and Xia gets curbstomped and loses all his charisma, devolving into a whiny cockroach.

And the Worm just kept on not really impressing, like Lu Tien, who's just Agito with way less depth and character.

It worked for me at first. They're all dangerous because Koga isn't a Kengan fighter and as soon as anyone remarkable from the last tournament shows up they immediately get folded. But then as time goes on they just turn into The Hand and it wouldn't be shocking if teenagers started being able to turn them into pretzels.

Edit: Did the guy who trained Kiryu get killed or is he still around? It's gonna be his turn to beat up Xia soon, I imagine.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

Edit: Did the guy who trained Kiryu get killed or is he still around? It's gonna be his turn to beat up Xia soon, I imagine.

depends on which guy you mean

if it's the guy that taught him Rakshasa's Palm then he's dead, Kiryu killed him
the other guy that trained him is Tiger Niko and that guy's still hanging around, doing evil martial arts stuff, having a blast

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Worm feels so toothless now.

I remember that right after Koga's qualification fight, the head of the qualification division got murdered by his coworker, who was actually one of Xia's mooks. And he got mudered really brutally, in a, OH gently caress kinda way, that sort of showed you how deep undercover the Worm were and what they were capable of.

Said dude nearly kills Koga.

Then Ohma and Raian come and own all of Xia's dudes, and Xia gets curbstomped and loses all his charisma, devolving into a whiny cockroach.

And the Worm just kept on not really impressing, like Lu Tien, who's just Agito with way less depth and character.

It's like one of those MCU or DC shows where it's about a bunch of low power or normal people doing low power investigative things and then suddenly Thor or Superman shows up and instantly defeats every bad guy but then continues hanging around after doing so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

depends on which guy you mean

if it's the guy that taught him Rakshasa's Palm then he's dead, Kiryu killed him
the other guy that trained him is Tiger Niko and that guy's still hanging around, doing evil martial arts stuff, having a blast

Thanks I was thinking of the first one.

Kanos posted:

It's like one of those MCU or DC shows where it's about a bunch of low power or normal people doing low power investigative things and then suddenly Thor or Superman shows up and instantly defeats every bad guy but then continues hanging around after doing so.

Ah, you mean the idea of Boruto.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Artelier posted:

Thinking about it, the Niko style ultimate technique pre-requisite was be on the verge of death, and passing it on required trial by combat on the verge of death, so maybe the development of this ultimate technique is the next level of that.

To be fair, there is probably a better way to teach Demonsbane to someone but Gaoh and Ohma's Niko couldn't figure it out by the latter's own admission. On the other hand, one of the things I really like about the Niko style is how the ultimate techniques are surprisingly practical ways to keep fighting while seriously injured (granted Demonsbane is practical in any health situation) and it's still a neat idea for a martial arts designed to make one person a living weapon that can fight against the masses of the "inside"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, there is probably a better way to teach Demonsbane to someone but Gaoh and Ohma's Niko couldn't figure it out by the latter's own admission. On the other hand, one of the things I really like about the Niko style is how the ultimate techniques are surprisingly practical ways to keep fighting while seriously injured (granted Demonsbane is practical in any health situation) and it's still a neat idea for a martial arts designed to make one person a living weapon that can fight against the masses of the "inside"

The Niko Style is honestly pretty cool because while it's a goofy anime martial art with nonsense like on-demand muscle hardening, you can tell that the author put a bunch of thought into why it has the techniques it does and how it's all meant to work together.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Niko Style is honestly pretty cool because while it's a goofy anime martial art with nonsense like on-demand muscle hardening, you can tell that the author put a bunch of thought into why it has the techniques it does and how it's all meant to work together.

The only thing the Niko style actually needs, which would ironically have been great for this current series, is an area it's weak in. Agito's formless is a frighteningly powerful combat style which allows him to make on-the-fly custom-styles for his opponents. But he got his poo poo pushed in by Gaolang who hyper focused on just striking. That led to Agito and the previous fang making up "martial arts" which is strike focused but faster at the cost of flexibility and later on learning how to shift between the two without letting the lag hinder him in a high level fight. There was room for growth and adaptation. The Niko style has no such moment in the entire series.

What the Niko Style needed is a stylistic flaw that would justify Tiger Niko trying to evolve what's there. As it stands the only downside to using the Niko style is overclocking your heart too much which Ohma already figured out (and then forgot in his fight against Lolong) or using falling demon and loving up your brain like setsuna (which was cured anyways by another Niko style technique). I can't articulate what this flaw should be because if it were something as simple as "the niko style has no strong grappling foundation" that would be trivial to solve and not worth killing thousands of children to examine. But there needs to be something the Niko style can't conjure up an answer to.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jose posted:

when are we going to get a cyborg fight

Muteba is already a cyborg

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Chapter this week is up by the way

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of double Jobbing...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Bets on a 10 year old timeskip coming?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd have much preferred a montage of koga training and fighting but i guess the whole point is to show him dominate kokuro now

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Speaking of double Jobbing...

Poor Wolf Soldier...

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So on top of the Purgatory arc running longer than the original plotline, we now have a further timeskip on top of that, just to drive home the point that the only plot angle I really cared about (Koga and Ryuki's developing friendship, which left off at a disturbing point where Koga just couldn't deal with Ryuki's murderiness anymore) wasn't as important as being able to fight at the level of all the weird super-punchmans so we can, presumably, get into another extended tournament arc. Shame.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Ohma was a mistake. He should have stayed dead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh hey, it's that dipshit jobber again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo we finally get some Korean representation*!

(*I know he appeared in a side chapter but that doesn't count.)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Plutonis posted:

.... do you realize how little does that narrow it down? :v:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

149 part deux link.

I don't have any strong feelings about this chapter aside from wondering how many of the supernovas are THE WORM.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Reading the chapter, it's pretty ok, actually. Lu Tian is one of the few new fighters from the Purgatory tournament who had solid showing, so this might be turn into a decent fight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Kokuro does not deserve this treatment imo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the worm is about to have a bad loving time

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe I'm just in am mood but nine guys just doing casual arms manufacturing in a secret sewer base feels so weirdly COBRA to me, like the worm really has just transitioned to Saturday morning cartoon style baddies. Soon we'll have the drug special where they start peddling heroin and Okubo teams up with Marvelous Seki to help his addicted cousin get clean.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Tbh I think that’s the direction the author has been moving this whole time and it’s just taken a while for their particular expression of it to come out as they go through the creative process.

It’s easy to be distracted by the awesome, detailed and hyper-violent art and think this is supposed to be Serious Punching Manga, but when you look at the side materials, the notes, and author commentary - I think you could argue they’re more interested in something like Cutie Honey; ie the content and the presentation of the content are somewhat at odds making for something quite enjoyable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm 100% down with the worm turning this into a sort of urban war after being routed from two major organizations that have vast control over the underworld of Japan. Why this involved blowing up some random city in Italy is beyond me. My problem is that we basically set up one member of the worms as having a strong grip on at least monitoring Yamashita and investigating Ryuki under the orders of Yan, then spent about 80 chapters showing how utterly incompetent in every possible way. One thought I've had for a while was how much better Kengan Omega was when it kept things "Street level" which would have unironically made for the worms to maintain their threat factor. I imagine if the Purgatory Merger had just started off as what the current agreement is, with Ghost being one of the first Purgatory transplants it could have more nicely given us some Kengan vs Purgatory matches without needing to bog the story down with a tournament arc and still allow us to follow Koga. That sentence hurts to type because Kengan Asura was THE love letter to tournament arcs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd honestly prefer the Worm as a powerful crime syndicate doing crime stuff than some kind of international bodysnatching conspiracy with extremely nebulous and unclear goals.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Well, they still haven't really established exactly what's going on yet since we only just had that timeskip. But the Worm as an international terrorist syndicate with cells all over the world making guns and doing suicide bombings doesn't really seem suited for Kengan, which is fundamentally about a small number of superhuman punchmans beating each other up in one-on-one fights. The bodysnatching conspiracy fit extremely well into a world where billion-dollar business deals are settled by muscle bros planting their fists in each other's faces.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hrm.

https://comikey.com/read/kengan-omega-manga/k2VEdk/chapter-150/

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Alternate link
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/qRDqyA9/1/1/

One step closer to perfecting the Niko style.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Murdercop doing a police brutality I see

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lol another developed fighter dead in a flash. Like.... why. I get that Liu Tian wasnt going to be a major character but why delete him?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Koga: "Ryuki, what the gently caress is that smell of poop water on your shoes?"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
See, I actually like the idea of the fights happening outside the ring and this was the first time in a while I actually want to see the Gaoh style explored since the restrictions are off. But god drat did they completely ruin anything related to Lu Tian. I think anyone that uses Guinhun is just destined to die miserably and pathetically. He also pulled a knife so like Alan, that's another loser flag.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

a loving flashlight

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kengan Omega is truly the Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2 onward

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, that what I get for predicting (hoping for) a solid fight. But not gonna lie, murdering someone with a flashlight is pretty metal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

frajaq posted:

a loving flashlight

Heavy duty flashlights that cops and security guards use are pretty much intentionally built to be super dense and heavy to be used as bludgeoning weapons if necessary, since if you get jumped in a dark area it's faster to swing the light source that's already in your hand than it is to fumble for a separate weapon.

Just, uh, not this creatively.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Wave posted:

Lol another developed fighter dead in a flash. Like.... why. I get that Liu Tian wasnt going to be a major character but why delete him?

More like DEAD BY A FLASH(LIGHT)!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked the shirtless bandana guy on page 4 who looks like he wandered out of a 90's side scrolling beat'em up.