Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

That's my point, it makes it very transparently obvious it's just damage control and they aren't necessarily concerned about the actual issue just the potential bad press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

power crystals posted:

That's my point, it makes it very transparently obvious it's just damage control and they aren't necessarily concerned about the actual issue just the potential bad press.

Welcome to corporate life.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I do appreciate Steve's commitment to his stance of "it went as expected" instead of "went well/good" to paste over the amount of bullshit that was thrown around for awhile on a majority of the discussion. His no nonsense, sincere, and direct communication during the whole thing is just extremely refreshing.

It's sad to see a staple company like Newegg in this state.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's good Steve got to speak to people other than the PR guy. Particularly the head of customer service who is ultimately responsible for the hundreds of terrible interactions that GN uncovered.

It's promising that they said going forward returns could be accepted by level 1 but if they were rejected they'd automatically be escalated to someone who is actually qualified to make that determination. The story they gave for Steve's case made no sense - the warehouse worker checked off 9 of the boxes and didn't write in the additional information field, and didn't include a photo, so their hands were tied - what kind of lovely process is that? When you have a customer on the phone insisting that your org is wrong, put eyes on the drat item. And the customers who were shipped wrong product, returned it, and were told they didn't return what they ordered. That's a horrendous bureaucratic fuckup that puts the customer in a catch-22 and shouldn't be permitted if newegg wants to continue doing business.

It's not promising that half the newegg execs in the room were newbies. They could have good intentions to unfuck the company and then bail like their predecessors did.

It will definitely need follow up.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
This is a complicated and difficult situation for Newegg, but for completely stupid reasons. It's a same class of problem that so many companies run into, but it's not really fixable without taking a Risk, and risk is just unacceptable for many. They have 4 VPs who I would say at least are at least moderately interesting in fixing this problem. 3 of them have seniority measured in 'months', which is really important in defining the pace of such a process if it were to ever happen.

The problem has nothing to do with their willingness to make changes, but has everything to do with the company's willingness to allow these folks to take risk. VPs with no seniority will not get any space to take a major risk to fix the problem. That major risk in this case is probably, 're-evaluate KPIs. Loosen them up a bit, or maybe re-define them entirely'. If that kind of a change results in a cost center costing even more, then the VP is going to get flack, especially when they are working on the margins they are. Worse yet, the VPs know this and they know they have no political ammo to spend, and so they don't -- it's career suicide, and even if it successfully addressed the issue, it will come at the cost of *something* on the balance sheet and it looks 'bad', regardless of any positive secondary effects.

My read here is that without a decree on high from the C-levels to make changes, nothing substantial will get changed. Even then, the risk is instead being offloaded to the Cs that say, 'do it' instead of the VPs, and if there is one thing execs are good at, it's protecting their own rear end and inflated wages.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look, they spent a lot of money on external consultants to come up with those KPIs so they aren't just going to throw them out

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Look, they spent a lot of money on external consultants to come up with those KPIs so they aren't just going to throw them out

What they need is a way to bundle all those lovely KPIs into a derivative asset they can sell to shareholders.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Given the public outrage, i am expecting newegg will introduce what Amazon is doing in certain euro locales (first 3-5 returns in a quarter will be effortless, afterwards the reps will get up into your rear end to even accept the return). It's the best compromise to look nice without messing up the kpi too much

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SlowBloke posted:

Given the public outrage, i am expecting newegg will introduce what Amazon is doing in certain euro locales (first 3-5 returns in a quarter will be effortless, afterwards the reps will get up into your rear end to even accept the return). It's the best compromise to look nice without messing up the kpi too much

I mean this is pretty much how returns with Amazon have been for a long time, but even easier with Warehouse poo poo.

Figuring out how to approach open box is easy : Always accept returns on open box unless you have photo proof that the customer damaged the product. If you get too many returns on a class of open box product, stop selling that class of open box product. Sell it to a third party and let them deal with the hassle/bad PR. If a customer falls too far outside the norm on returns for open box products, stop letting them buy open box products.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My read here is that without a decree on high from the C-levels to make changes, nothing substantial will get changed. Even then, the risk is instead being offloaded to the Cs that say, 'do it' instead of the VPs, and if there is one thing execs are good at, it's protecting their own rear end and inflated wages.

Pretty much.

The fact they sent a bunch of <1yr guys and 1 long termer looked to me more like they were just putting some people in front of the camera to save face, those <1yr guys are going to do literally nothing but report what happened in the meeting up the chain. The 20 year guy was probably just there to babysit and make sure rookies didn't commit them to something dumb.

I didn't watch all of it, but was also a bit telling that they didn't really do any research prep because Steve had to keep reminding them he didn't really give a poo poo about his own personal case, he was there as a voice for the thousand other cases he had in the folder who don't have a platform like his to force face to face meets, and they kept trying to circle it back to specifically Steve's case because that's what they'd prepared an answer for.

Anyway, hopefully something good comes out of it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rudager posted:

Pretty much.

The fact they sent a bunch of <1yr guys and 1 long termer looked to me more like they were just putting some people in front of the camera to save face, those <1yr guys are going to do literally nothing but report what happened in the meeting up the chain. The 20 year guy was probably just there to babysit and make sure rookies didn't commit them to something dumb.

I didn't watch all of it, but was also a bit telling that they didn't really do any research prep because Steve had to keep reminding them he didn't really give a poo poo about his own personal case, he was there as a voice for the thousand other cases he had in the folder who don't have a platform like his to force face to face meets, and they kept trying to circle it back to specifically Steve's case because that's what they'd prepared an answer for.

Anyway, hopefully something good comes out of it.

Also telling that 19 yr dude was in role 6 months.

Nothing will change until this hits their expected revenue next quarter.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Huh? Two of them were under six months while the other two are 3 years and 19 years. I imagine that executive level companies have a hard time keeping people in certain roles for long periods, especially customer related ones.

Noo it's definitely a red flag that the ppl are so fresh-faced. It either means the company has trouble holding on to ppl at a high level (which I don't think is normal), or (more much likely I think) this isn't something anyone meaningful wanted to do so it landed on the new guys' desks.

Anyway it's all kind of a meaningless exercise but I'm just glad Steve got to have his fun lil treat time sparring with the c-suite and I thought he handled himself really well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also telling that 19 yr dude was in role 6 months.

Nothing will change until this hits their expected revenue next quarter.

Steve put up a poll asking if people wanted him to audit Newegg's return policies every 3, 6, or 12 months, so you can expect to see Beve Sturke with a broken open box motherboard in the near future

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tick tock it's poo poo prebuilt o'clock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTrrIsMGXU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I assume people are aware of the blow up happening on twitter currently. GN just stepped in and jayz had already put in his two cents earlier in the day. It is weird because there is also the cross over to me of not just these two people, but also josh strife hayes also pitching in.

For those not aware, artesian pc is some small time start up custom pc company. They decided to do some giveaway live. The winner was some start up streamer. And instead of cheering about this, they just flat out went nope right on air because of the streamer's low viewer count. Which just obviously started a firestorm. So yeah, Jay plans to do a video putting together a pc for the streamer as compensation. GN is cheersquadding talking about how when steve was on his own, he had once been belittled by a now dead company for his lower sub count. And then Josh Strife Hayes has been happily throwing punches at them.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1498840640272191493
https://twitter.com/JoshStrifeHayes/status/1498825418761445378

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I've always suspected that the sweepstakes on playr.gg (I guess they're Surf Giveaways now) worked the same way. Only the entrants with the highest followers and subs on Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram would win prizes. It didn't matter how many entries you had in a given contest, if you were a low level streamer or influencer you weren't getting dick.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

I've always suspected that the sweepstakes on playr.gg (I guess they're Surf Giveaways now) worked the same way. Only the entrants with the highest followers and subs on Twitch, Twitter, and Instagram would win prizes. It didn't matter how many entries you had in a given contest, if you were a low level streamer or influencer you weren't getting dick.
It's almost as if in giveaways, just like gambling, the house always wins. :thunkher:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i wonder if that's how gleam.io works

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If that's what they want just call it a sponsorship like the rest of the industry.

Or the biggest names in the community can drag you across social media like this is the wild west.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

i wonder if that's how gleam.io works

Gleam is just an app to run giveaways, it's up to the person using it to "fraudulently" re-draw the winner.
Unless I misunderstand what you're getting at.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's almost as if in giveaways, just like gambling, the house always wins. :thunkher:

this has to be illegal though right? gambling is extremely regulated, and i thought giveaways are the same way

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

this has to be illegal though right? gambling is extremely regulated, and i thought giveaways are the same way
I'd be surprised if it was legal - but how easy is it to prove at any kind of scale without someone acting as a whistleblower?
And what happens in situations where the infrastructure the company is using is hosted and/or the people who own the company are outside the jurisdictions of the country in question?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's definitely illegal to muck with the results of a random draw giveaway / sweepstakes, and it's also illegal to change the rules any time after announcing it & taking entrants. So even if he'd said that they were removing everyone with less than 100 subs before drawing a name from the hat, that would be illegal in every US state.

But I'm not positive that the whole thing isn't illegal. It's a random prize where the entrants are required to promote the company. I get the impression that's the entire relationship between the PC company and the streamers? PC company says "put our logo on your twitch page, have a chance to win a free PC", right? And they aren't giving the streamers money outside of that.

That definitely counts as "consideration". So at that point it's not a sweepstakes, it's a lottery. So that's likely illegal in most states, and flat-out illegal interstate/federal, except when done for charities. This is why every prize on cereal box tops has "no purchase necessary" in fine print. And why twitch bans subscriber-only giveaways.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would have sworn up and down in that endless days of techmass or jayloween or arbor jay or whatever he had a half bragging story of how he once did a giveaway, pulled a name out of the hat and seeing it was a personal hater and throwing it away. which makes him jumping on this a little strange?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CoolCab posted:

i would have sworn up and down in that endless days of techmass or jayloween or arbor jay or whatever he had a half bragging story of how he once did a giveaway, pulled a name out of the hat and seeing it was a personal hater and throwing it away. which makes him jumping on this a little strange?

him doing that, and his hypocrisy, would not surprise me at all.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The video of Steve's visit to Microcenter just went up, and it's very heartwarming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmWpqbV9KA

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"I'm actually our influencer coordinator."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Helter Skelter posted:

The video of Steve's visit to Microcenter just went up, and it's very heartwarming.

A tech youtube channel not being a turbo rear end in a top hat is kinda refreshing

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

11:24 the MC sales guy asking Steve if there's a meaningful difference between CL16 3200 and CL16 3600 :3:

edit: Honestly everything about that video is just wholesome. Really good Monday morning viewing.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 7, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Warmachine posted:

11:24 the MC sales guy asking Steve if there's a meaningful difference between CL16 3200 and CL16 3600 :3:

edit: Honestly everything about that video is just wholesome. Really good Monday morning viewing.
Steve isn't completely wrong, but he's also not completely right. Assuming all timings and sub-timings are completely equivalent and XMP isn't being used, those 400MHz difference may mean ~10% difference at peak bandwidth, but of course it's nowhere near that simple.
There's almost no real-world use-case where you see peak bandwidth, especially not if you're doing memory-intensive workloads - so what matters a lot more is the sustained bandwidth which depends on too many factors to easily list.

If you wanna know more on the subject, I'd recommend the paper a performance & power comparison of modern high-speed dram architectures by Shang Li, et al.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 7, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The difference in RAM speed there is measurable with benchmarks but not something you'd ever notice (unless you are stuck gaming on a igp)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If an unnamed benchmark is showing 10% difference with 5% margin of error and a significant standard deviation at a confidence of 10-50%, that's about as useful as just pulling any number out of your rear end.

If you begin factoring all of those and ensure that you have enough data points for it to be statistically valid, along with things like rebooting between each test, a lot of that measurable difference suddenly starts to disappear.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For my recent build, I was initially gonna go with 3600, but I jumped on a 3200 Ballistix deal after looking up a bunch of benchmarks. With Intel CPUs at least, there was effectively no difference between 3200 and 3600 for gaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I assume people are aware of the blow up happening on twitter currently. GN just stepped in and jayz had already put in his two cents earlier in the day. It is weird because there is also the cross over to me of not just these two people, but also josh strife hayes also pitching in.

For those not aware, artesian pc is some small time start up custom pc company. They decided to do some giveaway live. The winner was some start up streamer. And instead of cheering about this, they just flat out went nope right on air because of the streamer's low viewer count. Which just obviously started a firestorm. So yeah, Jay plans to do a video putting together a pc for the streamer as compensation. GN is cheersquadding talking about how when steve was on his own, he had once been belittled by a now dead company for his lower sub count. And then Josh Strife Hayes has been happily throwing punches at them.

The Wrath Of Steve has been brought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NzY8TDCAY

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I do wonder what other shenanigans have been happening behind the scenes if what destroys the company is withholding a computer from a small streamer.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

cage-free egghead posted:

I do wonder what other shenanigans have been happening behind the scenes if what destroys the company is withholding a computer from a small streamer.

I believe they had already been on a downward slope, and the CEO not being a great guy, etc. The PC giveaway happening seemed to be the final nail in the coffin.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The CEO loving fired everyone and shut down the company?? What the actual hell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They ran out of money obviously if they stopped all payments. So were dead before this scandal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles posted:

They ran out of money obviously if they stopped all payments. So were dead before this scandal.

It obviously goes beyond the scandal, but they didn't run out of money--their bank assets were frozen by the state of california lmao

edit: actually, it's entirely clear where the freeze came from. But yeah, the company is mega hosed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh you're right. I hope that CEO gets blacklisted forever