Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Got me a shiny Goomy. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

M.Matsuda posted:

than Wow that shiny only challenge guy had absolutely terrible luck

I guess it could be plot-locked or something; I got those Magbies in my post-credits roundup. Not sure why it would be, but weirder things have happened.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mastajake posted:

Got me a shiny Goomy. :smug:

pic! show us your fashions

e: somehow this is the first game I've ever caught or interacted with the Magmar line and jeez Magmortar is hideous. I hate it, and so I like it a bit.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HopperUK posted:

pic! show us your fashions

e: somehow this is the first game I've ever caught or interacted with the Magmar line and jeez Magmortar is hideous. I hate it, and so I like it a bit.

Image quality isn't the best, but shiny Goomber is!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Had a few minutes to kill and even though I'm pretty much done with the game, it's a really nice game to chill out and relax to and maybe knock off a few more things to get perfects on. Managed to snag a shiny Qwilfish, and then a shiny Onix in a distortion in the space of 20 minutes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mastajake posted:

Image quality isn't the best, but shiny Goomber is!

Aw! There's your guy:)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, Marnie and Piers finally made their proper debut in the anime this week (and apparently even the Japanese version of Masters uses a slightly different voice cast as they both had new VAs here), Team Yell made their first appearance as well and were basically like they were in the games (glorified cheerleaders for Marnie that sometimes go a bit overboard).

Speaking of the anime, out of curiosity do the Galar trainers in the dub speak with British accents like they do in Masters or do they just speak without any accent like they did in Twilight Wings (and if the latter does any of the dub cast from that series reprise their roles for the main anime)?

Edit: The latter it would seem

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 26, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I finally beat the Elite Four in my Renegade Platinum nuzlocke:

If you don't know, in Renegade Platinum Drayano randomizes the Elite Four and Cynthia, so you have to have a balanced team that can cover 4 different instances of a given trainer.

Torterra was built to handle Bertha. Maxing out Curse meant that she could handle an Icicle Crash from her Mamoswine. The only way this wouldn't have worked is if she led with a Fire Punch Tyranitar, and even then I might have just had to heal instead of using Leech Seed.

Manaphy did great against Cynthia. She tends to lead with screen setters, so setting up Calm Mind to max in front of her is free (the AI in Platinum isn't set up to handle set-up spam very well). I happened to get a team without Roserade on it which was nice, but at +6 SpDef Manaphy would be able to take anything. I was lucky enough to get a really fast Manaphy, so it was able to outspeed Garchomp and Lucario.

Mew was for Flint. I EVed it to be bulky so it could set up Swords Dances and a Rock Polish.

Magnezone was my lead for Lucian and Aaron. Nothing either of them lead could beat it. It was also a solid pivot, but it never did as much work as I thought it would.

I originally intended Flareon for Aaron, but it ended up eating Lucian alive. I was shocked out how many pokemon Jolly Flareon outspeeded with Drayano's usual buffs.

Drayano also buffed Flygon into a pseudo-legendary with 600 BST. It got some key KOs, but nothing too fancy. I figured that if Manaphy couldn't outspeed Garchomp, scarf Flygon could drop a draco on it, but that turned out not to be necessary.

In all, Renegade Platinum is a great game, but I still prefer Blaze Black/Volt White over it. With Renegade Platinum you get the Fairy type, but in BB/VW you get some cool buffs (I loved Drizzle Slowking) and access to the cool Gen 5 abilities and pokemon. Plus BB/VW is just tougher, with better AI and crazy boss battles using doubles, triples, and rotation styles. There's nothing in Renegade Platinum that's as intense as Skyla's triple battle. I'm super pumped for BB2/VW2 Redux coming out next month.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The only shiny I saw in Legends was a starly. Who ran out of the fight and disappeared. Like, really? But I do hope I can add my toucannon and slowking sometime.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Do Legends shinies sparkle in the world or do I need to make sure I can visually id them by color?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Shiroc posted:

Do Legends shinies sparkle in the world or do I need to make sure I can visually id them by color?

I saw one. They kinda had a sparkle to them. But I'm still in the newbie zones. XP share is nice to bring along one I need to evolve.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They make a noise when they spawn, too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Polderjoch posted:

https://twitter.com/PrimalLugia/status/1497139729749454863/photo/3

I normally don't really care much for the TCG but god Poochyena and Mightyena are the cutest puppers in these, they really capture the dog owner feel

Counterpoint: Boltund is also the cuteest pupper https://twitter.com/pokeguardian/status/1462801193919553543

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
help i'm trying to do a fairy run but keep getting distracted by how many cute and cool bugs there are in the opening to sword

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody here want a shiny female kirlia? She's adamant unfortunately.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Shiroc posted:

No, there’s no consistent sparkle.
They have a little starry sparkle animation when they spawn, but you’ll often miss it since Pokemon mostly spawn out of sight (e.g. hidden in grass/water, to the side of you, or popping in above/below your view as you fly/climb.).

The sound effect when they spawn is much more noticeable, so if you can hear then that’s the most useful cue.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Larryb posted:

Speaking of the anime, out of curiosity do the Galar trainers in the dub speak with British accents like they do in Masters or do they just speak without any accent like they did in Twilight Wings (and if the latter does any of the dub cast from that series reprise their roles for the main anime)?

Edit: The latter it would seem

How does one speak "without any accent"? Do you mean that they speak with an accent that isn't noticeable to you personally (probably an American accent)?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hammerite posted:

How does one speak "without any accent"? Do you mean that they speak with an accent that isn't noticeable to you personally (probably an American accent)?

That's what Americans always mean when they say that, but I dunno where that poster is from.:) Sort of generic midwestern newscaster American accent.

That Boltund card is adorable. I love my Boltund. I'm going to get back to that SwSh save as soon as I can drop the cash for the DLC I think.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Boltund is objectively a good boy, but I can't forgive it for what it did.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Boltund is objectively a good boy, but I can't forgive it for what it did.

It looks like the Reverse Flash and he's my favourite. See also: Electivire, whom I have never cared about before, but is now my favourite punchy boy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

electivire should have kept electabuzz's tail design. and also the tails should not stick straight up

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part sorry. I meant the latter (I’m guessing they’re not played by their English Twilight Wings VAs though since that was a different studio)

Ash is getting pretty close to the top now as far as rankings go so I’m curious how much is left in this season at this point (probably still a decent ways to go since we don’t have a Gen 9 announcement yet)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 26, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

After catching over 70 Shellos I can finally say definitively that small Shellos are a lie and anyone perpetuating it, especially Laventon, should be punished severely.

(I did finally catch the 5 small needed for the dex but it took 74 captures.)

Also shiny Lickitung from a distortion and a round purple friend from a Spheal outbreak.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

you can give her a mint to fix that

This morning I heard a shiny in the Iceland area but couldn't find it among the ones on the surface. Turns out it was a Misdreavus that was underground in an ice cavern

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flopsy posted:

uhm YES, if the offer is on the table still!

I don't have much to offer though

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I am about 8k off 10 stars and I am playing the game of "what do I have in my pastures that I can easily evolve to get extra ticks". Turns out the answer is quite a lot. Got my first perfect dex entry, Typhlosion (started with Cynadquil of course)

Gotten a bit fed up trying to find Thundurus. I think it's thundurus I need to find. The blue one. I have Landorus and the green one. I know that old woman told me where they all were when I ran into her in the Galaxy HQ building, but now when I go to see her she won't repeat what she said earlier! Just says "bring me the completed dex entries". I know that already lady, tell me where they are! And where the hell do I learn about the mystery of the sea, Laventon won't repeat what he told me earlier and I wasn't taking notes!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part sorry. I meant the latter (I’m guessing they’re not played by their English Twilight Wings VAs though since that was a different studio)

Sorry for snapping at you, I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hammerite posted:

Gotten a bit fed up trying to find Thundurus. I think it's thundurus I need to find. The blue one. I have Landorus and the green one. I know that old woman told me where they all were when I ran into her in the Galaxy HQ building, but now when I go to see her she won't repeat what she said earlier! Just says "bring me the completed dex entries". I know that already lady, tell me where they are! And where the hell do I learn about the mystery of the sea, Laventon won't repeat what he told me earlier and I wasn't taking notes!

Thundurus is Cobalt Coastland during Heavy Rain (louder rain effect, windy effects) off the coast by the southern camp by the horns

The Sea's Legend is from BDSP

quote:

"Once upon a time in the East Sea, there was a Pokémon known as the prince. A brave human asking Pokémon living in the sea to let them see the prince.

"Mantyke, Buizel, and a Qwilfish with huge spikes acknowledged the human's bravery and joined them. Together, they set off in a boat over the sunset-streaked sea, sailing through the ocean gate stretched over the waves.

"News of this reached the ears of the prince, who went to meet the brave little party at the Seaside Hollow."

You'll need a buizel, overqwil (evolve qwilfish while it knows Barb Barrage or catch the alpha in the Lake Valor cavern trial), and mantyke and take them to the same place as Thundurus is to trigger some dialogue that opens the Seaside Hollow (save before entering and either bring plenty of stun items or make the pokemon ram into the walls in order to make them vulnerable to battle)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Gotten a bit fed up trying to find Thundurus. I think it's thundurus I need to find. The blue one. I have Landorus and the green one. I know that old woman told me where they all were when I ran into her in the Galaxy HQ building, but now when I go to see her she won't repeat what she said earlier! Just says "bring me the completed dex entries". I know that already lady, tell me where they are!

Thundurus is in the Coastlands during a thunderstorm, specifically near the two stone pillars at the spooky hand-shaped peninsula. It really is lovely that she won't repeat the locations of them, and that they're not listed in the quest description. I thought she said the Mirelands and flew around in thunderstorms there for like an hour before I looked it up and found out I was searching in the wrong place.

Hammerite posted:

And where the hell do I learn about the mystery of the sea, Laventon won't repeat what he told me earlier and I wasn't taking notes!

In BDSP. No, seriously. There's zero information on how to complete The Sea's Legend in the game itself, you have to have read a book in BDSP that was a fairy tale that gave vague information on how to find the mystery. Just in case you want to find out for yourself I'll spoil it, but basically you need to bring a Mantyke, a Buizel, and an Overqwil to the empty cavern on the north side of Veilstone Cape, forgot what it's called. Make sure you have lots of stun items before you do, though, because you'll have to face three Phione and a Manaphy at the same time, all of which have shields that will block your Pokemon/Pokeballs. Also even though there's three Phione, you only have to catch one even if you want a Perfect entry for it.

e: vvvvvv Ah yeah, I forgot about that part of it.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 26, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Thundurus is in the Coastlands during a thunderstorm, specifically near the two stone pillars at the spooky hand-shaped peninsula. It really is lovely that she won't repeat the locations of them, and that they're not listed in the quest description. I thought she said the Mirelands and flew around in thunderstorms there for like an hour before I looked it up and found out I was searching in the wrong place.

In BDSP. No, seriously. There's zero information on how to complete The Sea's Legend in the game itself, you have to have read a book in BDSP that was a fairy tale that gave vague information on how to find the mystery. Just in case you want to find out for yourself I'll spoil it, but basically you need to bring a Mantyke, a Buizel, and an Overqwil to the empty cavern on the north side of Veilstone Cape, forgot what it's called. Make sure you have lots of stun items before you do, though, because you'll have to face three Phione and a Manaphy at the same time, all of which have shields that will block your Pokemon/Pokeballs. Also even though there's three Phione, you only have to catch one even if you want a Perfect entry for it.

You need to have a mantyke, buizel, and an overqwil in your party and swim through the big stone arch at the tip of sand's reach at dusk first. Not Night, Dusk.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

uhm YES, if the offer is on the table still!

I don't have much to offer though

It's cool. At this juncture I have a shiny murder baby ralts in SW/SH and a shiny alpha Gardevoir in the game. My pantry is stocked and my crops are watered. Give me whatever ya want for her. Trade number is 33669933 hit me up whenever you're available.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Ha, well that's creative, I'll give them that. Thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flopsy posted:

It's cool. At this juncture I have a shiny murder baby ralts in SW/SH and a shiny alpha Gardevoir in the game. My pantry is stocked and my crops are watered. Give me whatever ya want for her. Trade number is 33669933 hit me up whenever you're available.

when are you online generally?

My apologies, this would be the first time I trade with anyone. I do have a maxed-out Jolteon for you though!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Looking for a Johto Sneasel, Shieldon, Magnemite or Cranidos.

Can offer an Alpha Bastiodon or a shiny Beautifly?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Decided to try a nuzlock run of Moon and I’ll be damned if this game isn’t loving unplayable with the cutscenes.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I took out my Alcremie in the Isle of Armor DLC for Sword/Shield and it walks so loving slow behind me. It's the saddest poo poo. It takes SO LONG to catch up because it's so small.

Someone suggested a baby carrier.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Turns out that "Pokemon following you" and "Pokemon having realistic movements" don't seem to gel together since a lot of the slower Pokemon aren't going to keep up.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

when are you online generally?

My apologies, this would be the first time I trade with anyone. I do have a maxed-out Jolteon for you though!

In the evening generally I'm available right now for example. Also you really don't have to give me anything nice. At this point the only stuff I want is extremely hard to come by and I don't feel comfortable asking for it. Just give me a wurmple or something it's fine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tiny Myers posted:

I took out my Alcremie in the Isle of Armor DLC for Sword/Shield and it walks so loving slow behind me. It's the saddest poo poo. It takes SO LONG to catch up because it's so small.

Someone suggested a baby carrier.

Being able to ride Pokemon is great, but we need more Pokemon who can ride on us.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Ok, I just caught Thundurus and wow, that was painful. I thought having to catch one of them in the ice level was bad. Having to do it on the back of the fish so that you can't crouch+creep is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Decided to try a nuzlock run of Moon and I’ll be damned if this game isn’t loving unplayable with the cutscenes.

SwSh has this problem too. I used my secondary profile to try a nuzlocke a few months ago and gave up trying to have any fun after about 40 minutes of not being allowed to play the drat game