Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That dudes probably losing his poo poo rn he gets to go on a Spanish Pokémon adventure. I’m happy for him.

I actually thought to check out how was he doing and found an interview done last year by the main Spanish ROMhacking site. He got into game design and while he has no projects to show seems to be doing fine.

Also there's apparently an attempt to remaster Quartz with redrawn sprites but keeping the designs, sadly (or thankfully) on hiatus right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

Someone should give Game Freak permission to not make 100 new mons this edition. Maybe make like 30 new ones, and then maybe 50 or so new region-specific edits on old mons. They already have 898 creatures to work with, and given the latest games haven't even tried to incorporate all of em' it'd be nice to spend that design time on the games themselves.

These starters are just delightful. I love the simple design of the cat and duck. No weird protrusions or accents, just colored fur. The pepper dragon boy is adorable too, though the random yellow squares are dumb.

Hope they turn into Grass/Steel, Fire/Dragon, Water/Fairy.

They can make 100 new pocket monsters, but maybe cool it on the rattata/pidgey/caterpie/weedle/etc clones.

Another electric mouse is fine though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like they'll make 92ish pokemon so that pokemon 999 can be some mythical they can heavily promote with a movie. And then Pokemon 1000 can be a Victini kinda deal and start Gen 10.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mewthousand

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does anyone actually care about pokémon numbers? Can you name pokémon 100, 69, 420 or 666 off the top of your head?

I'm a huge nerd and I can only name like half of those.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does anyone actually care about pokémon numbers? Can you name pokémon 100, 69, 420 or 666 off the top of your head?

No but more variety helps fill out the game better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh there should always be more pokémon, especially if they go the Sun/Moon route of pouring a lot of love into every single one, but pokémon #1000 is probably not going to be made a big deal.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

oh yeah, nobody actually cares, but I could see some marketing guy at TPC pogging at marketing the 1000th pokemon on 10th gen in the 30th anniversary

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Everyone arguing about apple-diles and pepper-diles, but what about CHOCO-DILES?

https://twitter.com/juancitomarvel/status/1498058147377856516

Honestly, this works for me. You got the red, the white, and even a bit of yellow in the bean.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

69 - Bellsprout
100 - Voltorb
420 - Cherubi
666 - Vivillon
777 - Togedemaru

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Love a challenge
Voltorb, I dunno Primate?, Cherubi, Vivillion

But no one should care about numbers. My only hope is for fun new/regional mons and new type combos. Surprise me with new favs like Pumpkaboo, Goomy, Appletun, the entire Ultra Beast line up

Thundersword238 posted:

Everyone arguing about apple-diles and pepper-diles, but what about CHOCO-DILES?

Honestly, this works for me. You got the red, the white, and even a bit of yellow in the bean.

Love this group of starters

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 28, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thundersword238 posted:

My god we thought he was fire grass when he was fire water all along.

I can’t figure out what sprigatito might evolve into. Gamefreak likes making its starters regional stereotypes for its euro Pokémon games. You have pepper/hot chocolate for fuecoco, matador/don Quixote for quaxley but sprigatito? Roses? Picasso? Just a larger green cat?

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Thundersword238 posted:

I like this concept a lot more tbh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Thundersword238 posted:

Now this makes way more sense.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundersword238 posted:

Now this I can get behind

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Spicy liquid chocolate? I'm naming mine Diarrhea.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sorry random twitter user but it's themed after apples which spain is well known for

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I would care if all 1,000 Pokemon were actually obtainable.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Sun Nuzlocke Update

I made it through the trainer school but my meowth ate it. Pikipek and popplio live on.

Entered the next part of town. Unskippable cutscene of rival playing on the beach. Cutscene ends. Another unskippable cutscene of PC learning how to wave at people. Walk up the block. Unskippable cutscene of rival taking me into the tourist bureau, and another cutscene of the pc receiving the camera. Exit the building and two more cutscenes of Lillie talking about shopping and some guy forcing me to do the camera thing. I am rapidly considering throwing in the towel to try nuzlocke Pokémon X instead. This poo poo loving sucks

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Chocodile is good.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think I’ve complained about this exact problem about a hundred times ITT. Sorry!!

I just want a Pokémon fix. :(((

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish they did mythical/legendary Pokémon in a way where you could actually use them on your team. having Jirachi from level 5 on my BDSP playthrough was fun and made me like it in a way I hadn’t before. most legendaries/mythicals are just plot devices. I barely even care about the ones with designs I really like (Marshadow, Meloetta) cause I don’t get to form any real attachment to them. even something as minimal as completing a Legends Pokédex entry with Shaymin made me like the cute grassball a lot. just having them be a big narrative driver like Cosmog or Calyrex makes them way more interesting

I’d be fine with this tbh

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm just here to say that Sprigatito is an excellent name and I hope whoever on the localization team came up with that got high fives all around.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My god we thought he was fire grass when he was fire water all along.

I can’t figure out what sprigatito might evolve into. Gamefreak likes making its starters regional stereotypes for its euro Pokémon games. You have pepper/hot chocolate for fuecoco, matador/don Quixote for quaxley but sprigatito? Roses? Picasso? Just a larger green cat?
i looked up Sabretooths to see if they were native to Spain but no such luck, just the Americas

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oak's letter is only available until March 15th, right? Once you have it, you can get Shaymin after the March 15th date? I got the letter and went to Route 122 but that NPC wouldn't let me through between all the games I'm currently playing and are about to come out I don't see myself playing more Pearl this month.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

indigi posted:

I wish they did mythical/legendary Pokémon in a way where you could actually use them on your team. having Jirachi from level 5 on my BDSP playthrough was fun and made me like it in a way I hadn’t before.

They did do this for Gen 4 and 5. Pokemon Ranger came out well before D/P and allowed you to get a Manaphy egg, which was transferable to the games when they released and you could get your Manaphy egg as soon as you got to Jubilife. Then B/W released with a code in box to allow you to get Victini near the very beginning of the game too. And yeah, that was basically it until the free Jirachi/Mew they gave you in BDSP. I agree they should do that kind of thing more often. I know mythical Pokemon are pretty strong but like, single player Pokemon has basically never been challenging so I don't buy any "But they don't want to make it too easy" excuses. Especially when they did it three times already.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oak's letter is only available until March 15th, right? Once you have it, you can get Shaymin after the March 15th date? I got the letter and went to Route 122 but that NPC wouldn't let me through between all the games I'm currently playing and are about to come out I don't see myself playing more Pearl this month.

I thought it was like March 27th or something but you're right that the time limit only applies to getting Oak's Letter itself, once you have it in your inventory, you could wait 20 years and still go and get Shaymin just fine. You have to have the National Dex before you can get it though, which is why I assume you can't get through yet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't like Quaxley because the design is too similar to Ducklett.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shiroc posted:

I don't like Quaxley because the design is too similar to Ducklett.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who had that reaction!

To be fair, I assume the fully evolved form will be very different from Swanna. Still, it’s not like there’s a shortage of duck-like Pokémon between Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d, the Porygon line, Psyduck, and Ludicolo. Do we really need more ducks?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

They did do this for Gen 4 and 5. Pokemon Ranger came out well before D/P and allowed you to get a Manaphy egg, which was transferable to the games when they released and you could get your Manaphy egg as soon as you got to Jubilife. Then B/W released with a code in box to allow you to get Victini near the very beginning of the game too. And yeah, that was basically it until the free Jirachi/Mew they gave you in BDSP. I agree they should do that kind of thing more often. I know mythical Pokemon are pretty strong but like, single player Pokemon has basically never been challenging so I don't buy any "But they don't want to make it too easy" excuses. Especially when they did it three times already.

I thought it was like March 27th or something but you're right that the time limit only applies to getting Oak's Letter itself, once you have it in your inventory, you could wait 20 years and still go and get Shaymin just fine. You have to have the National Dex before you can get it though, which is why I assume you can't get through yet.

Ah cool thanks. Yeah, I could't remember the exact March date.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I got Victini when B/W came out, but I also took Tepig so I never used it and since you couldn't get Victini again on a new file after awhile, it felt like I missed out a bit.

I remember getting the Jirachi disk with my copy of Colosseum way back in the day (I still have it!) and that was fun. I restarted a Ruby run with a Jirachi in tow.

I've always enjoyed restarting files and trying out different teams. HG/SS was great for this because you could trade anything to it as soon as you got the Pokedex, so I'd send over eggs of all kinds of different things to be my "starter" for that run.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend used an Action Replay on his roommate's copy of Platinum to go to the Shaymin island, killed the Shaymin, flew off the island, and accidentally saved. So if the roommate did get the item for the Shaymin event, he would have got there and wouldn't have been able to catch Shaymin. He still doesn't know to this day.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Do we really need more ducks?

The gently caress? Yes. Always.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, I assume the fully evolved form will be very different from Swanna. Still, it’s not like there’s a shortage of duck-like Pokémon between Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d, the Porygon line, Psyduck, and Ludicolo. Do we really need more ducks?

Not only a duck but another small blue duck. Yeah, the final evolution will absolutely be different from Swanna. Its just a weird choice to have one of the faces of a new generation be as similar as this to a 10 year old regular Pokemon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Incomplete list of animals you can never have enough Pokémon based off of:

Cats
Dogs
Ducks
Axolotls
Elephants
Penguins

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Silver2195 posted:

What we really need is a goose. How the hell do we not have a goose yet?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Incomplete list of animals you can never have enough Pokémon based off of:

Cats
Dogs
Ducks
Axolotls
Elephants
Penguins

No bats or spiders? You loving degenerate. For shame.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 28, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Waffleopolis posted:

My lovely prediction is each starter will have a second type they are strong against.

Fuecoco becomes Fire/Grass as he is a big pepper.

Quaxly will be Water/Fire. The will change to a matador's hat and will somehow form a cape of red fire? Maybe?

Sprigatito will be......a wet cat? Don't know how it will become Grass/Water.

I doubt any of these but it's fun to speculate.

Grass + Water + Cat = Cat with Bong

Quote this when I’m right

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Flopsy posted:

No bats or spiders? You loving degenerate. For shame.

crobat is the perfect bat. you cannot improve upon perfection.

likewise ariados who needs only the exact same design but with good stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite dex number trivia is that Archeops' dex number matches its BST.