Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This next fight totally kicked my rear end repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Imagine not respecting ImIdiot's extremely powerful plan of dying in order to take advantage of how angry his friends would be so they can beat the poo poo out of the enemy. hosed up, tbqh.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Keldulas posted:

The floor doesn’t really help either, Malkuth is currently less impressive than the other options at this point.
The curse of being early floor. I don't know what Abnormality card to pick when playing with Keter and Malkuth since there's no real stand out cards like the other floors.

For Malkuth I only know how to play with Happy Memories and using the last Abnormality cards (then again, it's the last Abnormality)

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
I don't know, Footfalls is a pretty good card for suicide plays. Assuming Philip, or whatever monstrosity he becomes, is alone, I doubt he can stand up to three suicide bombers rushing him at once.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Your Everyday NEET posted:

The curse of being early floor. I don't know what Abnormality card to pick when playing with Keter and Malkuth since there's no real stand out cards like the other floors.

For Malkuth I only know how to play with Happy Memories and using the last Abnormality cards (then again, it's the last Abnormality)

That part doesn't hold for me largely because of Yesod's floor being my favourite to use. It's so internally consistent in 'gently caress your face guests'.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait was Bishop saying that Gluttony was made for Dimi a "it'll work well with your build" or was it a stealth burn calling her gluttonous?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Not the right screenshot, quote is from memory and almost certainly wrong. But it is all that I have time to do. I don't know why that one scene on the bridge that gets used shot for shot twice sticks in my memory.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
The rage I felt when I realized TQ had split this combat update in two... but oh, is it good for storytelling.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

PinkDawn posted:

The rage I felt when I realized TQ had split this combat update in two... but oh, is it good for storytelling.

I learned my lesson with Tomerry. Sometimes, I just need a three-parter for the sake of my sanity.

Everyone posted:

art

:five: :golfclap: good poo poo

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
At least Love Town 1st act were against regular mooks and mooks don't speak.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

I learned my lesson with Tomerry. Sometimes, I just need a three-parter for the sake of my sanity.

Oh, I don't blame you considering I have a personal vendetta against this fight. And seeing that you stayed up all night recording for this? Your dedication is truly impressive.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If this fight is harder than Love Town, why wasn't it put at like Love Town was? I mean, it can't just have been having access to Carnival and Dawn pages.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

If this fight is harder than Love Town, why wasn't it put at like Love Town was? I mean, it can't just have been having access to Carnival and Dawn pages.
It's having access to Dawn pages.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Junpei posted:

4th librarian and proper pages makes everything easier. Love Town is actually farmable now, for example, and it is possible to 1-floor it.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Love Town is actually farmable now, for example, and it is possible to 1-floor it.

is it now? Let's send Hod's team against it, and see what leaps of logic Switch comes up with.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It really is about access to the proper tools. 4th Librarian means less damage taken due to doing more clashes or killing things faster and another sack of HP. And Drawtech means that you have more choices as to the cards you use for any situation, as well as keep going for far longer than without.

With the Floor of Art fight as an example, TQ had to take a lot more +10 power attacks due to less actions. And TQ also completely ran out of gas really quickly. Yeah, TQ died, but Drawtech would've actually allowed for tactics to avoid taking damage. As it is, since he'd run out of cards anyways, there was no reason to play defensively.

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
Hoo boy History Floor took a beating but they're not out, I'm on the edge of my seat to see how this'll play out.

Starbridge64 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 1, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junpei posted:

Those are relative difficulty, not absolute difficulty.

At the time we picked Love-Town it was that difficult, but with all the stuff we've gained this is easier relative to our actual access.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 23: Wedge Office—Chapter 3

Music: GuestBattle01

While there's a mid-Act screen like normal, it doesn't tell us anything about what we're facing or what its abilities/attacks are. We also can't change what floor we're using, so this is really only useful as a quick look at how beat up our Librarians are.

Malkuth is just about topped off after The Faeries' Care, but the others are hovering around half HP right now. At least Dimi has Gluttony to keep her HP up as we go.

VIDEO
Music: StorySimgak

Looks like Phillip's got a new look.

If I must… carry this emotion, if I can’t get rid of it… If I have to repeat this cycle of sinking into the swamp of despair and then thinking whatever comforts me. Then I’ll take the path of getting back on my feet with this sadness instead. Because I believe I can do it… Because it’s what I must do. I have to move forward… This power has to be an opportunity given to me.

Angela, what's going on?!

The library is reacting to his emotions, just like with that other creature.

Be careful, Malkuth. That thing was a real pain in the rear end to take down.

Music: Warrior It's not in the Ruina OST, so I'm using Dark Fantasy Studio's public link for the song.

Hey, hey, Bishop, hey. Can you sprout a wing like that?

Not the time, Dimi. This guy's dangerous.

You're telling me—that thing's definitely a boss fight, and you're already down ImIdiot.

It's alright. Let's just do the work like we always do!

This time… I won't run. I won't hide. And I'll burn you all away!

Phillip's manifested some new fiery superpowers, and as a result his stats have changed again. Since the Act screen told us nothing, the first thing we'll want to do is check his stats like he's an Abnormality.

Phillip starts with only 240 HP (Since we took 60 off of him last round—his new maximum is 300), and his Stagger Resist is a whopping 100. He's resistant to Blunt attacks, and he's another Shimmering opponent, meaning we've stumbled into a boss fight.

As for his other passives, Phillip adds 3 Burn on to all his opponents at the start of every turn that he isn't Staggered. This will plateau eventually, but it does mean that we can't rest on our laurels for too long. The last one is something about his stances—every few turns he swaps between Feather Shield and Searing Sword modes, with his passives changing slightly. The shield next to his name in his stats breakdown means he's in Feather Shield mode, and will be for 2 turns. The other status symbol is the countdown before he uses Blazing Strike, which is some sort of supermove.

I've got a good bead on him from right here, Malkuth. Won't be able to hit as hard if we wait… What's your order?

…Let's give it a shot. Let's go, everyone!

Dimi takes the initiative by stealing Phillip's attention. Feather Shield is a relatively powerful defensive page, but if it isn't blocking anything it can't really put out a lot of damage.

Rueful Eventide, his other page, is much the same. Two defensive dice, and one very low Slash die at the end. 2-5 isn't going to be winning him any damage records.

Since his first dice are both 5's, I pile on as many one-sided attacks as I can muster. He'll deal us a bit of damage, but I really want to take advantage of Bishop's first turn damage output.

Shoot all you like. Those bullets are just making more sparks.

He's not getting ventilated like I'm expecting… Dimi! Give it a shot!

Even though the damage is falling flat right now, pairing a gun deck with a person using Gluttony is generally a pretty good plan since it means we can ensure that Dimi's always able to activate Gluttony as long as Bishop hits the target first.

Two-fisted taser—what?! That didn't do anything!

One by one, you've killed every one of my comrades.

I'll make you all taste every last ounce of this pain!

Heck!!

I'm not going to just stand there while you bully my fellow librarians, you know!

Compared to before, your hits are like nothing.

What in the world..? Why aren't we doing any damage?

Maybe if I try again..? Ugh—it's still barely a scratch, boss! It really felt like a good one, too!

It doesn't matter. After today, this Library will be no more. I'll burn away all your rotted pages, and take back those important people you made into books.

We're actually in a bad situation right now. How bad?

Here's our HP before the turn starts.

And immediately after. Everyone but Dimi had 10+ Burn on them at turn's end.

This heat is insane…

What the heck?! He's only supposed to do a bit of burn, right?!

I'm not sure, but if we don't figure it out…

Oh geez, are you serious?! I can't take this anymore! It's that feather shield of his!

Tiphereth?

That shield of his is blunting your attacks where you can't see it, and it's making all that fire pile up on you! It's all because you guys all went big on the first attack that you're in this situation right now!

Ah… Then we've messed up.

It was worth it to get this information. The next team—

There is no next team, you dummy! You'll stay in there, you'll fight, and you're going to win! That's the only option!

Right… think. How can we turn the situation around..?

Attacking him is just going to burn us harder…

Not that it matters. You're dead in three rounds no matter what.

What?!

Your burn's at 13. Next turn you have 17 health remaining, and the Burn will drop by a third to 9. It'll go to 12, and you'd have 4 health left. No matter what happens…

That's checkmate. Heh. Well that sucks.

Sorry, man. It's two turns if you attack, three if you don't.

UNACCEPTABLE!

It is what it is.

It's unacceptable! If you die… then who's going to go hunting for my games after I kill this guy?!

Then I guess you're going to have to kill this guy in two turns, huh?

I guess it could happen… But he seems to be running strong after all the punishment we put him through.

All that work you did wasn't in vain. You've chopped off 62 from his Stagger Resistance… there's only 38 left. Another push like that and he'll be wide open. That's your chance.

Thanks for that. But… how did you know all of this?

It's all right here clear as day when I'm looking at the fight.

In order to more efficiently guide battles, I've made sure to allow myself the ability to see the vital information of all parties to the minutest detail from this place. We've simply never needed to formulate a strategy with such precision prior to now.

And here I thought reading intentions and seeing general characteristics was all this system allowed for.

That's only on your level. I thought it best the fighters themselves not be too distracted by cluttered information.

For now, leave the technical stuff to us. You know what you have to do, right?

Yeah.

Knock 'em dead, Bishop!

History team! All together now!

The "proper" strategy for dealing with Phillip's second wind is to simply pass the first two turns while only attacking him with massive single dice like Dimi's main offensive pages (if at all). Doing so means that he won't be able to do any real damage to us, and that we'll be able to save our Light and pages for once his phase switches. Do not do what I have done here. I've put the team in a terrible situation because I could not be assed to read a passive effect until the second turn, and now the entire team is going to fry in the next few turns because of it. :lobcorp:

Now that we're in the horrible flaming river, though, our only option is to paddle.

I've queued up as many attacks as possible here. Since Bishop is dying in 2 turns no matter what we do, and Blazing Strike is… bad, there's no way that we're going to win if this fight goes past turn 5 at most. We've got no choice but to out-offense Phillip.

I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this guy, and he's still up!

He's at 15, you're doing just fine!

Meanwhile, the Paralysis Dimi slapped him with last turn…

Pays off bigtime in blunting Phillip's offense.

My body isn't moving how I want it to…

Good thing that mine's working just fine.

You won't defeat me. I won't let you win!

It's not about letting or not letting. I'm getting my games, and that means I'm going through you!

I'm the one who's going to finish him off, Dimi!

I'm not just some game you can bet on! I'm-

Wide open!

Every one of you is so drat insistent… I'll burn you all to nothing!

Shaddup!

Hk-!

With the last attack of the turn, Dimi manages to Stagger Phillip. Barely made it! :sweatdrop:

Phillip is Staggered with 2 Fragile on him for even more damage. While Staggered, his Feather Shield falls off as well—he's properly defenseless.

…Hey, Malkuth? Since I'm about to die no matter what we do…

Don't worry. I'll pass those hidden research notes of yours along.

Thanks, Malkuth. Let's do this.

The enemy's down! All together, everyone!

Got it!

If I'm going down, I'm going to be the biggest thorn in your side I can on the way.

That's our Bishop! I worked with him, you know!

Yeah… we know.

I've done my part. Dimi, it's all you from here!

Take that! And now, you turn into a book!

I'm… still here… rear end in a top hat.

But that means—my games!!

Bishop dies when the burn ticks at the end of turn, completely offscreen. This emotion pushes Dimi to Emotion Level 4, maxing out the floor.

And I am faced with an interesting choice. Footfalls would turn our remaining librarians into ticking time bombs once they hit 20% of their HP or lower (about 15 or so), and would deal 30% of their health upon attacking into Phillip (Around 20 or so). We would lose out on their damage for the remainder of that turn, but we would get a nice amount of damage on him that might manage to finish him off—ties go to the Library, after all.

Predation, on the other hand, would let me siphon 10 of Dimi's HP off to give Malkuth a boost, alongside 3 Haste and 3 Strength. That 3 Haste would also allow her to move before Dimi, ensuring that Dimi's Gluttony can recoup the HP she lost from the Predation.

After thinking it over, I decide Predation on Malkuth is the play. Phillip's about to enter his Searing Sword phase, and that means we might not get to spend time at 20% or less health.

That was the last Librarian you're going to kill today.

You didn't show mercy as you tore Salvador and Yuna apart right in front of my eyes, and you didn't show any mercy when you slew all of the Wedge Office afterwards.

I'm not showing any mercy, either!

Tiphereth, something's changed!

He's traded defense for an all-out offensive posture. Now's your chance—but if he hits you, it's gonna' burn even worse than before.

The Searing Sword phase is when we should be attacking him, winning clashes will keep our HP high and also allow us to avoid more Burn damage.

The 1 point of Feeble Bishop applied on his last turn alive means that this page is completely incapable of winning any clashes against our +3 Strength Gamble. We'd need to have the worst possible luck to even see one die get a tie with ours.

The other offensive page he plays, Fierce Charge, is a single 4-10 attack. Dimi's the target here, and since we need every point of damage we can get I opt to let her take the damage.

One turn until that Blazing Strike comes out.

With a name like that on an effect with a timer… there's no way that can be good.

Plenty of time. We'll be fine.

Yeah… yeah. We're definitely fine. This is all actually just part of my plan!

Malkuth's initial attack knocks 26 HP off of Phillip.

He blocks the second attack from our Gamble, though. :rolldice:

It's over, Phillip.

Not… yet.

It's fine, you know! You can close your eyes and give up at any time. Nobody would blame you. In fact, you really should. Stop moving, I mean. Seriously, stop it.

You're a mouthy little brat, and I've had enough of it.

Ghwgh..!

And you. A damned hypocrite who talks about protecting her allies while she robs me of each and every person important to me! This power is an opportunity to pay you back tenfold!

Guys, it's coming!

This hurt I feel won't be cooled by the likes of you. Its red-hot anger will see me through this fight. I've lost everything… everyone. But I can still stand, still walk, despite all this pain.

And with all of my power, I'm going to charge right over every single one of you! Nothing will remain!

While active, Blazing Strike gives Phillip 2 additional Speed Dice for the scene. Additionally, he plays the aforementioned Combat Page, currently targeting Dimi.

Holy… Guys, don't let that thing hit you!

A 30-40 Blunt die is enough to deal massive damage, even through Dimi's Endurance to Blunt attacks. With her sitting on 11 Burn, a hit from this will all but ensure she's a goner at the end of the turn. As for Malkuth…

Dimi… I've got some bad news.

You're using Olga's skills, you have to still have moves you can make!

It's not that. I'm… not going to make it much longer. I can feel it… It doesn't matter what I do, this is the end for me.

That can't… no! I'm not going to lose everyone! That's not the plan, it's not-

It's okay. We have a job to do, remember?

I refuse to suffer a victory that leaves me the only one coming home!

…It's an order, Dimi.

Dammit!!

It's alright. I'm going to go down fighting with everything I have, just like all of you.

That's not better at all!

The circled die is Phillip's Blazing Strike. Our one lifeline here is that it's going after almost all of our own Combat Dice, so we might be able to finish him off before he pulls it out and finishes us instead.

You're past your limits!

So are you!

Yeah… But we're still not alone!

You damned bi-

Eat maximum voltage!

(CLICK)

…Click?

No, no, no no nonono-!

What just happened..?

I'm not sure.

It seems like some kind of emergency escape device.

Well… he's gone! That's what matters! Malkuth, we can still-!

…I'm too late. Well. That's… poo poo.

Ultimately, Ruina's fights are won by dying a little more slowly than your opponent. Whether that be an eternity, a turn, or a single move slower doesn't matter. Dimi stands alone atop the charred remnants of the battlefield, and we are victorious.

…tch.

Wedge Office is a serious step up in overall difficulty, since it's the first 2-versus-1 fight that we see. We have to get through the already-formidable Wedge Office with our team intact, then manage to weather Phillip's attacks when he gets his second wind. We would have had a much easier time of it if I'd simply read how Feather Shield worked on the first turn, but despite the increase in difficulty we still managed to take him out on our first attempt.

Music: Result

That was the most awesome thing I've ever witnessed in my life! I can already tell all our research is going to come in handy here… you should join in, I'm sure we can find a copy of—

I'm not interested in that kiddy stuff.

Uuugh… that hurts.

It's just the memory of the trauma… Our bodies are fine now.

…Huh. So they are! …I'm still going to lie here for a few minutes…

That's fine… I need a moment, too.

Did we win..?

Just barely.

Y-you… you should have seen it! Everyone was down and out, but the great Dimi came in at the last second to smack that guy upside the head! Bam! He won't be back here again, that's for sure! So, I've won the bet for sure!

…And the book?

That is to say… there were complications outside of my own incredible control.

He got away?

I'll take care of him next time for sure!

Not if I get to him first…

It's unfortunate that we went through all that effort for nothing… But that's how it goes sometimes.

I wouldn't say it was for nothing.

As he was leaving, it seems he left part of himself with us.

Every time we successfully clear Wedge Office's reception, we're given two copies each of Feather Shield and Searing Sword. The game only tells us the name of one or the other, since it used to be you'd only get one of the two—they changed the drops but not the dialogue box. :lobcorp:

They're both decent enough Burn pages, though I slightly prefer Feather Shield.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

When did he get such a high-performing workshop gear? No, not even the workshops could make equipment as good as that… This actually… reminds me of that guy…

That appears to be ‘E.G.O’.

‘E.G.O’? You mean the ego? As in someone’s consciousness?

It’s a silly wordplay. They’re essentially the same thing. The shell of one’s ego. It’s a physical manifestation of the mind.

What?! The mind? Physically brought about? That sounds too vague to be a real thing that could happen.

It was the Singularity of L Corp, although the process was different… While L Corp. extracted E.G.O deliberately, Philip must have manifested his thanks to the influence of the White Nights and Dark Days.

Yeah, I understand somewhat now.

Don’t rush me. This is also my first time seeing it manifest this way. If you were so curious, you shouldn’t have let him get away.

Sigh~ I didn’t know that coot would put that kinda device on him… Old Man Oscar’s still not honest to himself.

You seem to have a number of old friends.

Well, yeah. They’re seasoned veterans with mountains of experience. It’s hard not to run into ‘em at least once or twice as a Fixer, y’know?

Still… hell of a day we've had, huh?

Yes. The reappearance of E.G.O in this form, the unusual actions from Tiphereth in the middle of the battle, and their result upon the outcome… I've much to consider, it seems.

Thinking about how to proceed, then? I don't suppose you could stop working me quite so hard, could you~?

If anything, you may be working harder from now on.

Please have mercy, ma'am.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

After what you've already overcome, Bleed is scarcely a threat.

Honestly, I don't think the musicians will be more than a moment's distraction anymore, either.

Videos

Wedge Office 3
Wedge Office 4
vs EGO Phillip (Unedited combat footage; may cause distortions. Watch at own risk.)

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 4, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

PinkDawn posted:

Oh, I don't blame you considering I have a personal vendetta against this fight. And seeing that you stayed up all night recording for this? Your dedication is truly impressive.

I'm up all night no matter what, this is the basically the equivalent of me saying "I decided to do this on my weekend."

Didn't quite work out, though. I penciled in the time because I was sure I'd need it with the stupid stuff I was trying to do... but apparently I'm Really Good At Card Games and wound up winning on the first go. The rest of the night wound up being devoted to getting the autoplay versions of the cutscenes, and then to putting videos together. :shrug:

Edit: This does mean that I cleared Wedge Office twice. I did not respect Feather Shield that time, either, because I am an idiot. :v:

Junpei posted:

This is gonna' require some explanation... Basically, is a special icon. To quote the OP:

OP posted:

This is only to be used for certain unique events. Suffice to say they are generally very difficult.

A will remain a no matter when it is unlocked or how long passes before we select it, because it is given a because of what it is. Wedge Office, while very difficult, ultimately doesn't meet the requirements to get the Reverence rating, and as a result the highest it can go is a —which is what it would have gotten if we'd beelined right for it as soon as the chapter unlocked.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 1, 2022

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Wow, you ended this fight with 21 HP more than me

Oscar's Page is all about [c]pierce[/c]. It endures both king of pierce damage, increases pierce die power and furhter increases pierce damage. If you didn't get a hint, take only cards with pierce dice. With support of Workshop Affiliatred Fixer's Combat Pages, you can win clashes on bonuses alone. Unrelenting is a passive, which, ideally, should never come into play, but when it does, it can be broken through only with very powerful attacks (more than 12 damage before doubling at once if Oscar is staggered). It helps to avoid unexpected deaths.

Pamela's Page and Pameli's Page are not as good, with a slash wekness and lack of speed, but they are good source of Wedge passive (and two other pierce support ones).

High-speed Stabbing sports pretty good dice, almost at level of current 1-costs. However, I want my low-cost dice have resource restoration or support gimmick. Pass.

Sparking Spear: pretty standard dice for 2 cost. If you are building a pierce focused character, this is a pretty good card to use as your damage dealer after boosts: both dice are pierce, and it has draw, which means using it will not thin your hand.

Speared Sweep Trades dice power for more damage, spreads attack types. A good example of what is difference between green and blue card is. Take Sparking Spear instead.

Searing Sword. Up to 6 burn with Stigma Workshop Weaponry — same as Sunset Blade — but 1 less expected damage. On the other hand, all power is condensed in two dice, which makes it more likely to win clashes. A good addition to burn archetype.

Feather Shield is another 2-defence-1-offence-die card like Struggle, E-endure and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap (can't remember how many 'z's are in that one), byt with crispy flavor. A good defensive card at this point.

Collision: a little on the weak side for 3-cost at this point in the game, but, if played correctly, becomes essentially a 1-cost.

Transpierce, a sister card to Crack of Dawn. Instead of good block die followed by a strong attack die, it has strong attack die, followed by block die. While technically it is weaker than Crack of Dawn, it is not a gold card, so we can equip more than one of it, and also I expect it to work better against ranged cards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillip run away again... Twice in the same reception. Angela! Lock. The. loving. Doors.

Now Light makes people manifest EGO themselves. Obviously, we cannot allow that, because we need all light back. I wonder, what the position of the Head on EGO equipment would be? It didn't pass Tres Association check-up process, and no patent fees were paid. It would be funny if after escaping, Phillip would get offed by Claw for "not paying ownership fee for equipment capable of producing more than 40 kW of heat".

Roland is being know-em-all again. Angela was correct in asking "hey, do you know this random guy", because he probably knew him and all his family, and just pretended to be offended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillip internals: 230028
Once again, Burning Passion and Unstable Shell of Ego do nothing and Shimmering does everything. Unlike Tomerry, it also has total control of the number of speed dice. C — Consistency. As with Tomerry, background and music change is done by gifting bonus emotion coins to the enemy side.

Ego Phillip starts combat in Feather Shield mode, which reduces incoming damage (not stagger) by 5 and deals 5 burn to attacker. In this mode, he will use 2x Feather Shield (D3-7,D3-7,S2-4) and one Rueful Eventide (E2-5,D4-6,S2-5). Both of those have powerful block dice, which, together with -5 damage, make actually dealing any damage VERY difficult. This pattern will be active for 2 scenes.

On 3rd turn Phillip will switch to the Searing Sword mode. He will start to inflict 4 burn on hit and will use 2x Searing Sword (S3-7,P3-7) and one Fierce Charge (S4-10). A lot less dice total and lack of protection makes it the prime time for staggering him. Because this pattern lasts only for one scene and what follows is...

Blazing Strike mode. He still has Searing Sword bonus, and gets another 2 speed dice. Phillip will use them to attack with 4x Searing Sword and one Blazing Strike (B30-40+3Burn). This kills the nugget. Your only chance to survive this is to either kill Phillip beforehand (preferred strategy), or have higher speed than him, and stagger him before he had chance to use BS, cancelling it. You can also redirect attack to the librarian, who will die anyway, but this is unsportsmanslike. Lasts for once scene and after that pattern starts again with Feather Shield mode.

If Phillip starts scene staggered, no mode bufs will be applied (no damage reduction and burn on hit, if he is staggered in Feather Shield mode), and pattern will not progress. This means that you cannot skip phase by staggering Phillip (unlike Tomerry, where it was intended mechanic), only delay it (Blazing strike counter will accurately reflect that). As with Tomerry, if Phillip gains speed dice by gaining Emotion Level 4, it will be left unused, since he will not be given enough cards to utilize it.

In the thread there were mentions about Bleed stacks not decreasing after each attack. This fight is a great example, why it was nerfed: in Blazing Strike mode Phillip makes 9 attack total. If we inflict mere 10 stacks of Bleed beforehand, it is 90 damage from Bleed alone — more than third of his starting health. On Hod floor, it is possible to inflict 27 stacks, which kills Phillip even if we don't damage him at all. Nerfed Bleed deals only 37 and 84 damage respectfully.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

AI pattern

If you would be so kind as to keep grabbing these as we clear Shimmering bosses, if you're ok with it I'd like to put them in the related Appendixes from here forward (not Tomerry's since I covered it in the fight, but the others I don't know and thus would like to catalogue).

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Huh. Philip ended up putting up a good fight this time.
I think my first time I ended up bumbling into the fight and having the good luck of cheesing the fight, rather than prepare for it properly.
Round 2 though, think I got dunked on in turn. :v:

Arcanuse posted:

:getin:

Like me some wedge office, got good mileage out of those pokes

Anywho, now that we've actually seen the cards proper can elaborate a bit: Wedge office is just about made for Netzach, the proper fundamentals of the pierce floor.
Suffice to say, ended up using Netzach quite a bit more after this.
...Don't really have much to say about searing sword/feather shield though. They exist? :shrug:

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

and so it continues.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
This picture keeps getting better. I hope Philip keeps running away for the entire game.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

If you would be so kind as to keep grabbing these as we clear Shimmering bosses, if you're ok with it I'd like to put them in the related Appendixes from here forward (not Tomerry's since I covered it in the fight, but the others I don't know and thus would like to catalogue).
Yes, of course. I do plan to continue delving into bossfights mechanics and other mechanics I find interesting.

Arcanuse posted:

...Don't really have much to say about searing sword/feather shield though. They exist? :shrug:
Hod floor, Walter's page. All 3 Today’s Shy Look Abno Pages, Alertness. Fill the deck with Feather Shield / ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzap pages and some light restore/draw. Enemies will simply stagger themselves, trying to breach that impenetrable wall.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Of course a Burn based boss is what you need after you get banged up by moderately powerful Wedge Office. I hate Burn based boss. They are fire. I barely won even though I won in my first try. Too bad I didn't get Oscar's keypage and I'm not willing to try my luck against EGO Philip again after that.

Beating EGO Philip gets you his glasses which gives you +1HP. It's good idea to have every floor bully him to get that little bit of HP.

In my opinion pierce is the best damage type. Wedge Office gives you a whooping 9 +1 Pierce Power. When I have no idea on how to build a certain character, I generally default to Pierce.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Of course a Burn based boss is what you need after you get banged up by moderately powerful Wedge Office. I hate Burn based boss. They are fire. I barely won even though I won in my first try. Too bad I didn't get Oscar's keypage and I'm not willing to try my luck against EGO Philip again after that.
Kill Wedge Office, die. You will still keep books you got from previous Act. Repeat, if nessesary. At this point farming Dawn books should be a non-issue.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
And Lo, I emerge out the other side at last!

Well, that was certainly a fight and a half. I know a few things due to TvTropes but not everything, especially not mechanics. This has been and will continue to be one wild, wild ride.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Cloacamazing! posted:

This picture keeps getting better. I hope Philip keeps running away for the entire game.

i'm gonna Ship of Theseus that image one way or another, i swear

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Fanart post has been updated.

You guys are capable of some amazing stuff, I swear.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TeeQueue posted:

Fanart post has been updated.
Aren't you going to need a second Fan Art page soon?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

Aren't you going to need a second Fan Art page soon?

There's still a ways to go before we get there, but given that there's still at least a year left before we get through with this game... I'm very glad I reserved so many posts.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
New Key Pages

A very loaded card. Wedge is our first example of an offensive archetype boost - it's a bit cheaper than Solidarity and works regardless of whether your teammates are alive, but in exchange it only works on Pierce dice. Since these [+1 damage type] bonuses are the industry standard for attributed power buffs, this means that a lot of decks will tend to specialize in a given damage type. The other passive of note is his invulnerability - if he takes fatal damage he becomes functionally immortal for a turn, and an extra turn of life can go a very long way. And since it costs only 2 points, it's very easy to slot into a build once Oscar is demoted to passive fodder. Excellent all around.

These two are basically sources of attributed Pierce Power. Which is very nice to have - between Oscar and the midgets you can basically set up almost two entire floors with pierce decks.

New Combat Pages

There's no reason to ever use this when Sparking Spear is just outright better in every way.

An interesting card that's weak for its cost, but has the potential to functionally reduce its cost from 3 to 1 if it wins both clashes. I'd say it's not really worth it, though - that initial three cost limits what other cards you can use on your turn even if both light regens proc. Which isn't a guarantee. It's potentially effective but just too awkward to use.

Another interesting card - the dicerolls of an early-game 3-cost on a 0-cost, with rolls boosted by Wedge. I wouldn't say it's worth it though - that evade die isn't going to be beating much so if you try to clash with this you'll start the fight by getting punched in the face basically every time. You're better off using Mend Weapon over this, which is a 1-cost rolling 3-9 with Wedge that reduces its cost to 0 on use and buffs the other card you're using this turn.

Speaking of which, I feel like I should bring up these two again since we've finally reached the Reception that the Workshops act as a booster pack for. In Oscar's hands, these two cards become amazingly useful. Mend Weapon is generally a better card than HSS because it buffs your entire turn while being the same cost, and using Refine twice in one turn is absolutely devastating. With Oscar, that'd be two cards with rolls of 8-10, 3-7 (because that first die is almost certainly going to win), 7-9/10-12. Those are some very large numbers, especially on the first and third hits. Even if you only use Refine once, it'll still give a hefty buff to any other cards you use - and since Oscar really wants to run exclusively Pierce cards he'll get a lot out of that buff.

An excellent card. Slightly expensive, but two 4-8 hits with a draw effect on top is just plain fantastic. The true workhorse of pierce decks for this tier.

I said I'd bring this card up again later, and that later is now because here we have the card I wanted to compare it to. And the verdict? There is literally no reason to ever use this card over Sparking Spear. Sparking's rolls are better than Eject, and I'd much rather have page draw than a mediocre defensive die tacked onto the end.

Crack of Dawn but in reverse. Also pierce. While its dicerolls are a tad weaker than Crack, it's actually better dice-wise due to the defensive dice coming AFTER the big hit - if that block isn't used for anything it'll carry over to the next clash. That said, Crack's defensive buff means it edges out Transpierce for me, since it's not often that Transpierces floating block die actually comes into play (not a lot of one-hit attacks this tier that you'd really want to break with Transpierce). Still, very good card, and while I'd like to say you should run it in any Oscar-like deck for the foreseeable future, I really prefer using Refine over this...which hurts to say, because BIG NUMBER feels very good to use. But there's just not a lot of fights where you'll need that massive singular hit over three slightly smaller hits. Slot it in for specific fights but run Refine otherwise imo.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

MiiNiPaa posted:

Phillip run away again... Twice in the same reception. Angela! Lock. The. loving. Doors.

It's kind of a running joke at this point.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Roland is being know-em-all again. Angela was correct in asking "hey, do you know this random guy", because he probably knew him and all his family, and just pretended to be offended.

I didn't read Roland as offended. He was applying reasonable regular logic to Angela's very naive statement.

It's just undercut by Roland subsequently showing familiarity with way too many people. I honestly did not notice how often he does that when I played.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The extra Burn on Blazing Strike ensures that you will still die even if you block the damage with Oscar's Unrelenting passive.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

TeeQueue posted:

Carlos Saftey returns, immortalized by NullBlack.

saft

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

thanks; fixed it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I wonder if Deflecting works well against Shield Philip. It’s not a “hit”, so maybe you won’t get burned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
A really interesting fight both thematically and mechanically: Phillips' new look is a treat, and I think it's interesting what he says about the new (Distortion?) upgrade:

TeeQueue posted:

If I must… carry this emotion, if I can’t get rid of it… If I have to repeat this cycle of sinking into the swamp of despair and then thinking whatever comforts me. Then I’ll take the path of getting back on my feet with this sadness instead. Because I believe I can do it… Because it’s what I must do. I have to move forward… This power has to be an opportunity given to me.

"Because it’s what I must do. I have to move forward… This power has to be an opportunity given to me."

So here's my interpretation of that statement, focused on the bit I emphasized: It's not just that he feels like he has to treat the power as if it were an opportunity, but it cannot be anything else. And to me it doesn't feel like he means that in a causal sense, not "Oh this MUST be something I was granted to make a difference", rather it feels like it's a much sadder and more morose statement:
This has to be an opportunity that was given to him, because if it's not... Then what? What would it all mean? Would there be any point? If this wasn't a divinely-sent chance to better the world then it means his entire worldview has crumbled not just twice but functionally an infinite number of times: Everyone else is dead or booked or worse and he himself has degraded beyond human, and the idea of having failed that badly shakes him to the core.

To top it all off he ends the fight by being whisked away through a teleportation device he probably didn't even consent to having placed, if we take Roland at his word. So now he's in that form, probably not dead, definitely grieving, and very much set loose on the populace.

Roland recognizes another old friend and I'm beginning to get super-duper suspicious that his old rank was distressingly high. We didn't get to see any direct interactions with him and Oscar this time, but I doubt Big O would have recognized our boy in return, if the pattern holds: For some reason he knows just about everybody and seemingly nobody knows him.

Mechanics-wise this fight provides some cool-looking tools and I think Oscar's keypage is one of the slickest we've seen so far: As I said previously I love a good cheat-death effecet, Undershirt, what have you... And all that +Pierce? Sign me up.