Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

marcyb5st 17 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I'd like to point out that, before calling 600M people racists, there are different explanations. "Social Identity Theory" [1] being one of them. We Europeans could simply see Ukraine belonging to the same group (ie another European country) and hence emotional responses about an injustice are enhanced. This leads to more support for a member of said group compared to the same thing happening to someone belonging to a larger group (ie humanity as a whole). This doesn't have to be about racism and it's a fallacy almost all humans have.
[1] https://www.simplypsychology.org/social-identity-theory.html....
You see, we aren't being racist against people with other skin colors, we're just placing them in a made up racial out-group and discriminating against it. It's an easy mistake to make if you aren't a galaxy brain like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Razengan 15 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Neutral Swiss poised to freeze Russian assets – pr...

> Had the initial plan of decapitating the government and installing a puppet who signs a peace agreement with Russia worked, I doubt we'd be seeing the same level of support as now.
What rules out that Vladimir and Volodymyr aren’t in on this together to dupe other nations and later make up anyway?
It’s a classic con since time immemorial: 2 partners, one who pretends to be the baddie and another who pretends to be against him to gain the support of a dupe, and later split the profits.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

wh

what profits :confused:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

get a bunch of people killed, destroy billions worth of infrastructure, massively disrupt the economies of two countries and 180m people, ???, profit

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, ergo if this guy keeps tossing eggs at this wall his omelette is gonna be loving great

how do i invest in that guy's omelette???

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

putin is gonna sneak out the back door with all of russia's natural gas while everyone is fighting in ukraine. the heist of the century

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

quote:

>What a strangely beautiful bit of absurdism in a children’s book!

I doubt that very many in the book's audience have been able to appreciate it as such. Instead, it seems prone to plant in the listener the seed of imprecise logocentric thinking. The phrase reminds me of "The nothing itself nothings", a non-ironic statement, whose ilk I had thought we had left behind in a previous generation.
the book? Goodnight Moon

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

the book? Goodnight Moon

HN posters worst nightmare: A child with creative imprecise ideas. Kids playtime should be firmly based on logic and reason.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neon Noodle posted:

the book? Goodnight Moon

legitster 8 hours ago | prev | next [–]

I'm sorry. I still don't get it.
I was never read Goodnight Moon as a child, so I have no sense of nostalgia for the book. And despite the overwhelming pressure society places on me reading it to my toddler, neither of us have any meaningful connection to the book.
In contrast, you had A.A. Milne, Dr. Suess, and Dorothy Kunhardt all publishing some amazing (and radical!) children's books over decade earlier!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fortylove 4 hours ago | root | parent [–]

Sure. As a child, I was very afraid of the dark. The last thing I want to think about before going to bed are unknown "noises everywhere", that'll make my ears perk up to listen for mysterious noises. Reading this book to my daughter brought back these vivid and mostly unpleasant memories.
I understand it won't be like this for everyone, of course. And at the same time, I don't understand the appeal. So to me, it's not a great book all around.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

I doubt that very many in the book's audience have been able to appreciate it as such. Instead, it seems prone to plant in the listener the seed of imprecise logocentric thinking. The phrase reminds me of "The nothing itself nothings", a non-ironic statement, whose ilk I had thought we had left behind in a previous generation.

fritz posted:

Sure. As a child, I was very afraid of the dark. The last thing I want to think about before going to bed are unknown "noises everywhere", that'll make my ears perk up to listen for mysterious noises. Reading this book to my daughter brought back these vivid and mostly unpleasant memories.
I understand it won't be like this for everyone, of course. And at the same time, I don't understand the appeal. So to me, it's not a great book all around.
It's hard to decide which of those is better.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fritz posted:

Razengan 15 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Neutral Swiss poised to freeze Russian assets – pr...

> Had the initial plan of decapitating the government and installing a puppet who signs a peace agreement with Russia worked, I doubt we'd be seeing the same level of support as now.
What rules out that Vladimir and Volodymyr aren’t in on this together to dupe other nations and later make up anyway?
It’s a classic con since time immemorial: 2 partners, one who pretends to be the baddie and another who pretends to be against him to gain the support of a dupe, and later split the profits.

i half thought they were going to say they were the same person and the media uses different spelling to confuse us, but by the end their theory was somehow dumber

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Jose Valasquez posted:

nest0r 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Official Ukrainian BTC wallet has $2M and is growi...

Is it possible to send them my NFTs to boost morality? I would love to lend it out. I hope Opensea implements a feature like that in time so our NFTs can fight on our side.

is the world ready for some terrible evangelical promise ring / smart contract you can buy on the GOD chain?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
true love hodls

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sakopov 9 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Tell HN: If You Are in Russia

The reason Russia has elevated tyrants to power for centuries is deep-rooted in Russian soul to the point where it's not even a problem. It's something that is inexplicably difficult to understand unless you actually experience the culture for a good portion of your life. There is a lot of literature out there about the "Russian Soul" and I really recommend reading it to understand how this happens. In my opinion it's almost like a mass psychosis that everyone is aware of but have been "deprogrammed" to deal with and blaming people in Russia for atrocities of their regimes is like blaming a sick person for being sick. Most of the time they themselves were the victims while being told "it's just life, deal with it." With that said, people are slowly waking up and it's mostly young people who have the luxury of traveling the world and experiencing real democracies. Unfortunately, I think Russia will continue on its tyrannical path until the old generations die off and these younger folks take over.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

sakopov 9 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Tell HN: If You Are in Russia

The reason America has elevated tyrants to power for centuries is deep-rooted in American soul to the point where it's not even a problem. It's something that is inexplicably difficult to understand unless you actually experience the culture for a good portion of your life. There is a lot of literature out there about the American soul and I really recommend reading it to understand how this happens. In my opinion it's almost like a mass psychosis that everyone is aware of but have been "deprogrammed" to deal with and blaming people in America for atrocities of their regimes is like blaming a sick person for being sick. Most of the time they themselves were the victims while being told "it's just life, deal with it." With that said, people are slowly waking up and it's mostly young people who have the luxury of traveling the world and experiencing real democracies. Unfortunately, I think America will continue on its tyrannical path until the old generations die off and these younger folks take over.

ftfy

mystes
May 31, 2006

America is not going to change as older people die off.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

reasonable hackernewsing:

quote:

donatj 10 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Things you don't need JavaScript for

6) Sending data but staying on the current page.

You can make links or forms submit but not cause browser navigation by having your server respond with a 204 No Content.

I feel like this is a completely forgotten technique, but we used this a ton pre-AJAX for little one off things to shoot a message to the server without interruption.

and then dearfuckinggod:

quote:

1vuio0pswjnm7 5 hours ago | prev [–]

As a user, I block such requests.

Why would I have any interest in making requests for "No Content". Perhaps this is why web developers use Javascript to trigger them, without any input from the user. How many users knowingly make such requests for no content, or otherwise send data, while expecting no visual acknowledgment/feedback that data is being or has been sent to a server.

There could be legitimate uses for this perhaps but the uses to "avoid detection by the user" outweigh the benefit of allowing it.

1vuio0pswjnm7 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

On the first time, I agree.

However once a 204 response is discovered in the logs the domain or URL can be blocked going forward.

I generally do not use a Javascript-capable browser nor enable Javascript when I am using a popular browser so JS-triggered requests for no content fail on account of no JS engine available. In cases outside the browser, e.g., checks to detect captive portals, I block them with a proxy.

1vuio0pswjnm7 20 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

It is not performing a desired action. For example, I have no need for making a request to https://www.youtube.com/generate_204 because I search, browse and download from YouTube via the command line, without using youtube_dl. Making that request, repeatedly, for no content does not benefit me in the slightest. Thus I do not make it. Why would I.

Other users may operate the computer using popular software running under default settings where, e.g., visiting a website automatically runs a number of Javascripts unseen by the user and the user implicitly trusts that, whatever these scripts are doing, it is necessary and for the user's benefit. We know that is not always true. (This blog post shows us a number of instances where JS is used unncessarily.)

There could certainly be legitimate uses for the non-JS 204 no content data sending technique. If I was using a website where this was useful, of course I would not block it. I am not yet aware of any such website among the ones I visit. Every use of requests for no content I have seen has been unnecessary. Usually it is some form of telemetry, sending data about user behaviour to a server without any prior user consent or affirmative action. I suffer no loss of benefits by not making or blocking these requests. For me, this is the most sensible approach. YMMV.

Somebody employs this hackernews.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

paganel 42 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | on: ICANN's rejection of Ukraine's request to sever Ru...

Which is why it really surprised me when I learned that Disney had decided to leave the Russian market a couple of days ago. For whomever lived East of the Well pre-1990 (I did grow up as a kid in Ceausescu's Romania) it is well known that things like Disney/Hollywood movies (that were still circulating in a sort of samizdat way) and mundane consumer products like Coca-Cola or Levi's did a lot more at bringing the Wall down than the entire US nuclear arsenal.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

paganel 42 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | on: ICANN's rejection of Ukraine's request to sever Ru...

Which is why it really surprised me when I learned that Disney had decided to leave the Russian market a couple of days ago. For whomever lived East of the Well pre-1990 (I did grow up as a kid in Ceausescu's Romania) it is well known that things like Disney/Hollywood movies (that were still circulating in a sort of samizdat way) and mundane consumer products like Coca-Cola or Levi's did a lot more at bringing the Wall down than the entire US nuclear arsenal.

I feel really bad for this poster suffering from a rare brain disease that leaves him unable to learn any new facts since 1993.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doesn't seem to be all that rare.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

throwaway0a5e 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

>Unions are probably closer to insurance.
I think this analogy is more apt than you realize. Internet commenters absolutely love to shove insurance down the throats of people who can afford to self-insure against the particular outcome in question.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

citilife 15 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The war on gifted education

I'd argue this is why many kids are successful when home schooled.
The idea that you should interact so much with your peers is kind of strange to be honest. Is it really healthy for kids to interact regularly with their peers? I'd argue it's much better for children to interact with adults. Historically, kids would learn to work on the farm, attend church, etc and they'd see other children, but most of the time they'd be learning from adults how to act and strive for.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fritz posted:

citilife 15 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The war on gifted education

The idea that you should interact so much with your peers is kind of strange to be honest. Is it really healthy for kids to interact regularly with their peers? I'd argue it's much better for children to interact with adults. Historically, kids would learn to work on the farm, attend church, etc and they'd see other children, but most of the time they'd be learning from adults how to act and strive for.

ah yeah, the classics talk about this, too. like when tom sawyer tricked the town's farmers into painting that fence, and when the children of narnia were all individually playing hide and seek from adults and found that wardrobe

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bloqs 5 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

The biggest problem is demonstrated here too. You have no experience of existing in a higher social category, so your anecdotes of what you imagine it to be like are purely bogeyman fiction traded between lower classes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ntrails 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

> It is still primarily an on-site company.
At some point I would like people to quit vilifying a completely legitimate business setup because it doesn't fit their world view.
I want to be in the office, and I prefer it when my coworkers are there too. I respect that not everyone feels the same - but I do think it is up to the employer to decide. So I will be picking companies that suit my preferences.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

It's really one of those "half correct"/"half incorrect" things, huh.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
As an R. Kelly fan, this does not surprise me all. Once censorship begins it’s easier and easier to follow that well worn path. A lot of people like to mock the idea of cancel culture and pretend that it doesn’t exist - you know, the plainly disingenuous types who will say “they are a private company” out of one side of their mouth while demanding gay wedding cakes get baked out of the other. And sure there are ostensible shallow moral victories to be enjoyed by shutting your enemies up. But this impulse to control what’s said and what’s heard in the public sphere sure seems more dangerous when the stakes are higher, and increasingly it isn’t just normalized, but encouraged.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

unfair limitations on free speech, like when a teenager isn't allowed to say "i do"

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

fritz posted:

Ntrails 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

> It is still primarily an on-site company.
At some point I would like people to quit vilifying a completely legitimate business setup because it doesn't fit their world view.
I want to be in the office, and I prefer it when my coworkers are there too. I respect that not everyone feels the same - but I do think it is up to the employer to decide. So I will be picking companies that suit my preferences.

“some people get off on getting punched in the balls, don’t kink shame”

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I bring you a rare good HN post:

krapp 4 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Nosferatu: The monster who still terrifies, 100 ye...

> An immortal bloodsucking monster? Of course it's terrifying 100 years on, especially if we have lost track of where it is now.

He goes by Peter Thiel nowadays.

(Of course it was downvoted...)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

another rare good hn post:

AlexanderDhoore 5 hours ago | unvote | root | parent | next [–]

"Let's forget about Haskell for a second. Look at this Prolog code."
You people live in an ivory tower.

the followups are amazing

bollu 4 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

And what's the problem with living in an ivory tower, as someone who also lives in one?
A monad is a mathematical idea. It has some learning curve, some inherent complexity that you can't magically solve.

The post you're mocking attempts to draw a helpful analogy. Maybe it helps the original author who said they couldn't find an explanation of monads that they liked. Maybe it doesn't help.

I don't see how name calling such conversation as "ivory tower" helps anyone

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

wherein we find out that not only are HN assholes about tipping, they're spineless about being assholes about tipping:

jonhohle 47 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

[The Zero Rupee Note is] cute, but has it really had the intended effect? I can’t imagine someone expecting a bribe to bat an eye at this.

Edit: That said, I’d love something like this for tips in restaurants when there service is below par. It would provide a passive aggressive way to let the server know their service was poor without drawing attention to them or you. It would be easy to slip into the rest of the tip.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"needs help being passive aggressive" really does describe a lot of these posters.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

fritz posted:

throwaway0a5e 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

>Unions are probably closer to insurance.
I think this analogy is more apt than you realize. Internet commenters absolutely love to shove insurance down the throats of people who can afford to self-insure against the particular outcome in question.

:cripes:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

"needs help being passive aggressive" really does describe a lot of these posters.

help, nobody can tell my passive aggressive bullshit apart from my unintentionally off putting behavior

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BizarroLand 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

A relatively new to me concept I've been running into is that of "memetic virus", intentionally constructed by human hands, that, if implanted at opportune times in the right minds would cause a conflagration of an irrational thought to spread around the world.
Richard Dawkins mentioned something alike this in his "viruses of the mind" essay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viruses_of_the_Mind but his discourse was limited to denigrating the religious and seemed to miss out on the bigger picture, that being, that if it were possible to ingrain a meme onto people's minds that one day, someone would use it as an instrument of mental war.
I've read many anecdotes of people going off the deep end with political stuff over the last 6 years or so, people who refuse have a reasonable conversation about or seem to be unable to explain their convictions that bad thing was actually good thing even when shown evidence to the contrary.
How did we go from relatively peaceful in the 90's to a maelstrom of insanity in less than 30 years?
If it were one person or a certain group of people, it might make sense, but this memetic virus seems to have spread worldwide, infecting almost everyone, and since our frame of reference is also infected we can't see that we're infected with it.
Is there a cure? I wouldn't know. Is there a defense against it? I don't know? Does it actually exist or is it a convenient cover story that I can blame all the woes of the world on? Once again, I don't know.
I really don't know if this is true, but I suspect that if you brought a group of average people from 2000, 1990, 1980, & 1970, I feel like they would all agree that the world has gone mad and that there must be some reason for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

memetic SCPs are overused

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

man in the eyeball hat posted:

wherein we find out that not only are HN assholes about tipping, they're spineless about being assholes about tipping:

jonhohle 47 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

[The Zero Rupee Note is] cute, but has it really had the intended effect? I can’t imagine someone expecting a bribe to bat an eye at this.

Edit: That said, I’d love something like this for tips in restaurants when there service is below par. It would provide a passive aggressive way to let the server know their service was poor without drawing attention to them or you. It would be easy to slip into the rest of the tip.

This already exists, there are these fake $1 bills which unfold and it says something like "I'm giving you something much more valuable than money... the word of Jesus Christ!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

memetic SCPs are overused

otoh there is no antimemetics division is a decent book