Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is a Muppet some kind of gay puppet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

:frogout:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I thought you of all people would appreciate someone quoting your hero Dale Reed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't even know who that is

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s03e02 - Convictions

[*] In fact, there's already a group of (probably-)monks on the station, the ones who sang the Gregorian chant for Sheridan in the crawlspace that one time.

That was a group of pak'ma'ra

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

This is always hits me every time I rewatch.

Is there a list of intros that have pertinent story points like this? I tend to skip the intros but I don't want to miss these

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Most of B5's intros are pertinent to the story, but they are the same through the season. So if you see it once, you're good for that season. But I believe the first 1/4 of season 2 SHOULD be skipped on streaming platforms because it actually spoils something in that season.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

CainFortea posted:

Most of B5's intros are pertinent to the story, but they are the same through the season. So if you see it once, you're good for that season. But I believe the first 1/4 of season 2 SHOULD be skipped on streaming platforms because it actually spoils something in that season.

I think they fixed that spoiler on the streaming platforms - the spoiler was on the US DVDs (but not the UK ones!)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

alexandriao posted:

Is there a list of intros that have pertinent story points like this? I tend to skip the intros but I don't want to miss these

Basically there’s a new one each season watch the intro once for each.

Edit: also don’t sweat the spoiler thing, it’s a prominent bit of misinfo at this point; every streaming service has fixed it, it’s the dvd’s that were bad. (And the spoiler in question was basically a character is shown in the credits who doesn’t show up on screen for a few episodes.)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 25, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

CainFortea posted:

It doesn't. The only place where this was an issue was the original US DVD box set. The European DVDs and all the streaming services ever since have the correct intro without the spoiler you're talking about.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zat posted:

It doesn't. The only place where this was an issue was the original US DVD box set. The European DVDs and all the streaming services ever since have the correct intro without the spoiler you're talking about.

Good to know.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah I'm... acquiring it via other means, so it doesn't mess up the daily watch with my folks

S02E03: Hahaha so THAT'S the context for that scene. I barely remembered it but I must have seen a youtube clip of it maybe a decade ago. lmao. I loved the technomages but their magic was A Bit Crap. Granted, it was probably much more impressive in the 90s, and it made me think a bit about the technical details of how it might work. I'd imagine seeing that in real life would come off as impressive if you cannot obviously figure out why / how it does it's thing.

Londo feels like more of an rear end this season all of a sudden. I think it's the power getting to his head a bit, but even so. He felt more grounded at the end of season 1, and now he seems very suddenly to be extremely self important and more... brusque? Not sure how to put it. I reallllyy hope the technomage's dressing down of him at the end helped, but I get the feeling that it hasn't.

The technomage's list of questions that he can answer, and why he is leaving, felt underwhelming. I totalt get that they are leaving as some sort of Foundation-esque thing, but I don't think "how to tell someone you love them in three sentences" and "how to get rich" are really questions and answers worth preserving. I get that stronger answers or a more terse answer wouldn't have fit with their whole... vibe, though. It did also feel like they were too Magician-y, rather than sourceror-y. Like I feel they shouldn't have done any small parlour tricks. The exploding of the communication device was enough and while the hologram and the fuckery with Londo's financial records was funny, it kind of undermines the initial "people who can move mountains with a single enchantment" vibe that they seemed to be going for at the start.

The green / purple stuff: resolution clever and funny. I feel like on a large scale the point is kind of valid, but not so on a smaller scale. Like, on a large scale, cultures of humans are still humans, sure. On a smaller political scale, the stuff happening the poo poo terfs pull is absolutely hosed up, even if they are only 300-odd people, and the pushback/fight against them does matter. So for me that undermines the "all humans are kinda the same, flag waving is meaningless" thing that it was trying to express.

S02E04: Liked the out of the box solution from the new head of b5, and it builds nicely on him having a good grounding in history. A lot of shows would have stopped at him quoting famous figures, but no, he actually finds applications for this knowledge no matter how obscure. I'm excited to see him apply this knowledge further :)

It's also going to be interesting to see how the... anti-Vorlons develop. It's felt a little disappointing so far that they haven't been outright discovered yet, but the writers are very obvious biding their time and building up to something. I just wish the war wasn't in the intro. We see a ship get shot down by a beam in the intro credits and it feels like they are too open with that, such that it deflates the tension a bit rather than maintaining the idea that things are still peaceful, and just relying on the strong presence of the show to pull folks in.

I liked the conception of hyperspace, the world feels more real and grounded than some other science fiction, like they actually sat down and puzzled out the technical details on some level, like they did with TNG. It feels intuitive, but still unique, and leaves latitude for scratching the itch of figuring out how things work

S02E05: Not done with this episode yet but, god. That doctor would have been fired on the spot in the present day lol. He leads her into a kiss and then goes "whoops! we shouldn't be doing this!". So just don't get in so close that you lead into a kiss, fool!

It is so, so nice seeing Barclay!
Every time I spot a recognizable side role actor it gets me excited and helps the show feel more comfy. Also all the actors maintain the role of the show I first saw them in, it's the law. So really, it helps explain why Barclay was so traumatized in TNG!

I like the symbiosis dealio and have about ten minutes left to see it play out, but if it's an energy lifeform type dealio, ehhhhhhhhh. They have a perfect opportunity to have like a mix between a goa'uald and the usual alien-that-hides-in-corners dealio, and it feels more horrifying if it had this parasite that crawls inside you, eats you, or leaves a bit of itself around to nudge you around for later eating

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

alexandriao posted:

S02E05: Not done with this episode yet but, god. That doctor would have been fired on the spot in the present day lol. He leads her into a kiss and then goes "whoops! we shouldn't be doing this!". So just don't get in so close that you lead into a kiss, fool!

It's a common conspiracy theory that DS9 was a rip-off of B5. For some reason, nobody ever cites the smoking gun proof that both Franklin and Bashir share the same terrible medical ethics when it comes to relationships with patients.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

alexandriao posted:

S02E03: Londo feels like more of an rear end this season all of a sudden. I think it's the power getting to his head a bit, but even so. He felt more grounded at the end of season 1, and now he seems very suddenly to be extremely self important and more... brusque? Not sure how to put it.

Londo in season 1 was a loser, an old, powerless man in a worthless post at the end of his career. He was going nowhere, so he could afford to goof off all day, blowing his money on gambling, drinking, and strippers, or even blow everything on some grand final gesture. Now, between recovering the Eye and somehow handling a Narn border skirmish, Londo is in ascension, with prospects, and he has to work to get his ducks in order for the sake of his career. He's under pressure now that he has control of his destiny, and his ambition is blooming again.

I feel like Londo is one of the most complex and dynamic characters in the series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Londo is one of the most complex and dynamic characters in the series.

It's an ensemble cast but I'll always argue if you're picking a main character for the show it's Londo.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Not even the station itself? Boo!

Yep, Londo it is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

“One of?”

The correct word is THE. Only G’Kar comes anywhere else.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

s03e03 - A Day in the Strife
  • Dr. Franklin, stim junkie?
  • Londo is trying to get rid of the last person in his orbit who might bring him back to the good side of the Force.
  • Ohh, that's the Narn that got abducted by aliens with Sheridan last season. I completely failed to recognize him.
  • Did they even tell anyone on the station about the giant bomb that's about to vaporize them all? Maybe try to evacuate at least some of the civilian population in case they get an answer wrong?
  • Aww, everyone loves G'Kar.
  • By my count, there are five separate plots going in this episode. And the one threatening to blow up the station is only the second most important.

s03e04 - Passing Through Gethsemane
  • Sheridan seems a little too impressed by Brother Edward's crystal... thing. It's a fairly generic-looking little tchotchke.
  • "Death walks among you". But Deathwalker is dead... right? :ohdear:
  • I like that Minbari analogy comparing the soul to shining a light on the wall.
  • The lengthy, explicitly-Christian talk is something that Star Trek would never do. It fits fine on this show, though.
  • The "new monk" ending is pretty much the only way this story could have ended, but it works.
  • The gently caress are Lyta and Kosh doing at the end there?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Rewatching with my folks, and two things are really jarring about the... mars independence brokering episode of season 2:

Garabaldi and Talia really fucks with me. He's always creepily being nice to her in that nice guy way that creeps me out. He probably isn't that bad, like I don't think he would take advantage of her, but still, eughhh.

Also, why the gently caress hasn't Talia been training her telekinesis?? Literally would not have been in half the trouble this season if she had developed that a bit more. Nobody else would even know because she keeps getting attacked in isolated corridors

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Garibaldi and Talia have weird chemistry that I'm not sure how much is planned as part of the show (since she is the representative on the station of Psycorp, a very shady organization that Garibaldi expects trouble out of), and how much is the fact that the actors were going through a very weird relationship during the course of the show where they got married and divorced during the show's run.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Binged through several episodes, these will be a little brief.

s03e05 - Voices of Authority
  • I like how the political officer smoothly goes back and forth between reasonable and outrageous while always remaining perfectly calm and polite.
  • The part with Ivanova plugged into the machine was neat, but it seems unnecessarily dangerous. What did this experience actually tell her that a spoken or printed summary from Draal wouldn't have?
  • Night Watch gonna Night Watch.
  • I was amused that such transparent reverse psychology worked on the unfathomably ancient Tiki god aliens.

s03e06 - Dust to Dust
  • Another attempted murder by a main character. Ivanova wasn't stopped at the last moment, she actually gave the command to blow up Bester's ship. :stare: (Was anyone else on it?)
  • Wait, don't these anti-psi drugs permanently screw a person up? Like happened to Ivanova's mother?
  • Woohoo, out-of-control G'Kar on PCP.
  • So I guess the CIA invented crack here too.

s03e07 - Exogenesis
  • Ah, good old fashioned body-horror nightmare fuel.
  • I like the twist -- that the aliens aren't Puppet Masters takeover parasites, they're more like the Trill, and the whole thing is opt-in.
  • The is-this-a-date comedy worked well, and also reminded us of the secrecy precautions our friendly neighborhood conspirators have to take.
  • So Duncan is going to go travel the universe. Great for him... but isn't he seriously poor? Who's paying for him to gallivant around the galaxy?

s03e08 - Messages from Earth
  • I feel like two-day travel time shouldn't be that big an obstacle to getting fresh eggs to the station. Eggs keep for weeks. And besides, if they're really that rare and expensive, somebody would have found a way to smuggle in some chickens and get rich as an illegal breakfast dealer.
  • Those 30-degree angled Minbari beds are ridiculous and I love them.
  • How exactly does Delenn know all these details about how a person merges with a Shadow ship, and how it went wrong?
  • Whenever a character asks how much pressure a spaceship can withstand, it's impossible not to hear Professor Farnsworth's answer in my head.
  • Igniting the local hydrogen around them... I'm so drat tempted to explain why that doesn't work that way but I'm sure everyone already knows.
  • Still, I enjoyed the whole space dogfight. A well-done little action sequence.
  • Welp, I guess the boot is coming down on Earth.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

s03e05 - Voices of Authority

I was amused that such transparent reverse psychology worked on the unfathomably ancient Tiki god aliens.

It's unclear what's happening, although Ivanova surely believes she's using reverse psychology. We only know a few things: the Walkers don't like the Vorlons, they rejected a request to fight alongside them against the Shadows, and when Ivanova communicated that they really didn't need the extra help because they had the Vorlons, the Walkers said something rude again about the Vorlons and then agreed to assist.
Their anger toward the Vorlons does not show up in their final (English) response to the request. That suggests that agreeing to help isn't the product of their rage toward the Vorlons, though they certainly have such rage. It's possible they want to show the Vorlons up. But it's also possible that they got emotionally prodded out of their initial response and then rethought the implications of the situation.

Powered Descent posted:

s03e06 - Dust to Dust
Wait, don't these anti-psi drugs permanently screw a person up? Like happened to Ivanova's mother?

Sure, if you take them regularly over a period of years. Bester isn't doing that.

Powered Descent posted:

s03e07 - Exogenesis
So Duncan is going to go travel the universe. Great for him... but isn't he seriously poor? Who's paying for him to gallivant around the galaxy?

Unstated in the episode, but I always thought the implication was that the aliens had money (in order for their hosts to survive and travel), they appreciated the sacrifice he made to preserve them, and they provided him with the funds he needed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Exogenesis is easy to forget about since it doesn't really hook into the "main" plot, but it is such an A+ sci-fi story (and subversion of expectations).

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S02E09: :smith: Now I want to cry

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

S02E12: 19 minutes in, and again, this show is making me cry

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

alexandriao posted:

S02E12: 19 minutes in, and again, this show is making me cry

You will cry for entirely different reasons by the end of the episode. Truly, B5 is a station of contrasts.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Chevy Slyme posted:

You will cry for entirely different reasons by the end of the episode. Truly, B5 is a station of contrasts.

I haven't hit that due to IRL but rewatching the first half with folks and Delen and G'Kar are pouring drinks out of a bong :eyepop:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

i love that poo poo in scifi lmao

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Secret to B5 budget was to get most of the background props from LA flea markets.

That's an alien decander! :okpos:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s03e09 - Point of No Return
  • How in hell did I never hear that Majel guest-starred on a B5? :neckbeard:
  • Zack's a terrible liar. Didn't believe for a second that he'd turned against our protagonists.
  • I liked it back in Season 1 when Sinclair used regulation hair-splitting to resolve the conflict. But I just don't buy that Sheridan's attempt to do the same thing would work here. No matter where the order originally came from, it was relayed to him by a superior officer.
  • I'm not terribly surprised by Emperor Londo. But... Emperor Vir? :stonklol:

s03e10 - Severed Dreams

• I am just blown the gently caress away.
  • I love the secession speech, I love the epic battle, I love the Churchull going all Battlestar Pegasus on that other ship, I love Badass Delenn riding to the rescue... I even love the slow-clap at the end, which somehow actually worked and didn't come across as cheesy.
  • So was this the battle that Sinclair flashed forward to on Babylon 4, back in season 1?
  • Only one tiny criticism: if Sheridan didn't want to reveal the existence of Draal's marvelous machine yet, why did he use it in a way that was extremely visible to everyone on the whole station?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:getin:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

s03e10 - Severed Dreams

Only one tiny criticism: if Sheridan didn't want to reveal the existence of Draal's marvelous machine yet, why did he use it in a way that was extremely visible to everyone on the whole station?

If you saw a giant hologram of Sheridan appear, would your first thought be "I bet he's using that big buried device on the planet below to do that?" More likely, it'd be more like "How the heck is he doing that" or "I didn't know the station had giant hologram projectors." Whereas firing the frankly not THAT effective missiles would be a pretty obvious give-away.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Narsham posted:

If you saw a giant hologram of Sheridan appear, would your first thought be "I bet he's using that big buried device on the planet below to do that?" More likely, it'd be more like "How the heck is he doing that" or "I didn't know the station had giant hologram projectors." Whereas firing the frankly not THAT effective missiles would be a pretty obvious give-away.

Didn't the Great Machine whip out a giant beam cannon at some point too?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s03e09 - Point of No Return
  • Zack's a terrible liar. Didn't believe for a second that he'd turned against our protagonists.
  • I liked it back in Season 1 when Sinclair used regulation hair-splitting to resolve the conflict. But I just don't buy that Sheridan's attempt to do the same thing would work here. No matter where the order originally came from, it was relayed to him by a superior officer.

I think Zack was believable as the sort of dispossessed loser in a fairly high up position but would likely never get any further that fascism attracts, but he really never even tried putting on the appearance of the racism/xenophobia/slavish loyalty Earth-first thing that the rest of the Night Watch was all about. Not even a little. I get there's not very far you can go along that path and still come back, but it was still a bit of a weak performance of someone teetering on the brink and having already gone a little over.

And it may seem a bit of a cheap trick, but in the military, there's a lot of importance on chain of command and regulations. If officers were already planning a coup but not ready to pull the trigger at that moment, doing a bit of bureaucratic stalling seems like a good trick to pull. It's also important to note that while fascists can fester and develop within a system, they always need to break the rules at some point to actually assert dictatorial authority.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s03e11 - Ceremonies of Light and Dark
  • I like the missing man formation of starfuries. Which reminds me: I assume this service was just for pilots? Because those all sounded like human names and I know I saw a few Narns go down fighting against the boarding party.
  • I'm a little unclear on the usefulness of Londo's two-part poison. If he has agents in the palace who can administer the other part at any time, how is that different from just having the agent give a normal one-part poison? I can think of only one advantage: if there are royal food-tasters, they'd be unaffected by it, and would deem the food safe.
  • Of course, this presumes that the poison exists at all, which I'm not entirely convinced of. It might just be a ruse by Londo.
  • All of these people need to step up their password game.
  • These night watch people are creepy as hell. :stare:
  • I've joked about this before, but I think Delenn and Lennier actually ARE in a domme/sub arrangement.
  • What exactly was the "surrender" part of Sheridan's plan? I don't get what he meant by that -- they tricked the bad guys to draw them out and then came in guns blazing.
  • Got to say, I'm finding the "sassy computer" subplot more annoying than funny.
  • So THAT'S what those snazzy black uniforms are. I've seen a few of them walking around at sci-fi cons but never knew what they were from.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So now that you're halfway through, where do you think this is going?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Polaron posted:

Didn't the Great Machine whip out a giant beam cannon at some point too?

Spoiler for Voice in the Wilderness, part 2
Yes, it fires once and destroys an alien ship. But that beam weapon takes 50 years to recharge. :science:

Seriously, Draal makes clear the weapons are to defend the planet, and Sheridan makes the decision not to use the Great Machine's weapons to defend the station. It's unclear what their range is, anyway, so it's possible they're only effective against enemies entering the planet's atmosphere or on a close approach; the alien ship that gets blown up was approaching the planet and it's hard to judge distance precisely.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

So now that you're halfway through, where do you think this is going?

There are a LOT of long-term plots that need to get wrapped up one way or another. I'm certainly not expecting a storybook happy ending for all of it, but I do still think that most of it will end well. Of course, there's still a LONG way to go, with plenty of time for our protagonists to get dragged through the gates of Hell. I just don't expect those gates to slam shut on them. :)

I'll go way out on a limb and make few actual predictions, both medium- and long-range. Note that I don't have much faith in any of these:
  • The redemption of Londo, probably on the last of the three "chances" that Majel Barrett told him about a couple episodes ago.
  • The bad guys (eventually) get their comeuppance, particularly Morden, Bester, and President Clark.
  • Justice for the Narns.
  • The newly-independent Babylon 5 becomes the nucleus/capital of a new "nation" of various groups all over the galaxy, of multiple species, who are willing to tell their assholish governments what to go do with themselves and fight on the side of good.
  • Earth (Earthgov, at least) will be one of the main bad guys, perhaps openly allied with the Shadows.
  • Londo and G'Kar do actually die with their hands on each other's throats, but with some kind of clever circumstances that make it not what you would presume at first glance.
  • Commander Sinclair will play an important part, although I don't know if he'll return in person, given the actor's real-world health issues.
  • Also, Babylon 4 will be back -- I imagine a cool scene of the two space stations side by side, blasting the hell out of an enemy (Shadow?) fleet between them.
  • There's more of a connection between the Shadows and the Vorlons than has been let on. (Maybe they're the same species, but with different philosophies?)
  • Sheridan and Delenn are totally going to hook up. Ivanova and Marcus too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Powered Descent posted:

There are a LOT of long-term plots that need to get wrapped up one way or another. I'm certainly not expecting a storybook happy ending for all of it, but I do still think that most of it will end well. Of course, there's still a LONG way to go, with plenty of time for our protagonists to get dragged through the gates of Hell. I just don't expect those gates to slam shut on them. :)

I'll go way out on a limb and make few actual predictions, both medium- and long-range. Note that I don't have much faith in any of these:
  • The redemption of Londo, probably on the last of the three "chances" that Majel Barrett told him about a couple episodes ago.
  • The bad guys (eventually) get their comeuppance, particularly Morden, Bester, and President Clark.
  • Justice for the Narns.
  • The newly-independent Babylon 5 becomes the nucleus/capital of a new "nation" of various groups all over the galaxy, of multiple species, who are willing to tell their assholish governments what to go do with themselves and fight on the side of good.
  • Earth (Earthgov, at least) will be one of the main bad guys, perhaps openly allied with the Shadows.
  • Londo and G'Kar do actually die with their hands on each other's throats, but with some kind of clever circumstances that make it not what you would presume at first glance.
  • Commander Sinclair will play an important part, although I don't know if he'll return in person, given the actor's real-world health issues.
  • Also, Babylon 4 will be back -- I imagine a cool scene of the two space stations side by side, blasting the hell out of an enemy (Shadow?) fleet between them.
  • There's more of a connection between the Shadows and the Vorlons than has been let on. (Maybe they're the same species, but with different philosophies?)
  • Sheridan and Delenn are totally going to hook up. Ivanova and Marcus too.

Always fun to see the mixed bag of very right and very wrong in these posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powered Descent posted:

s03e11 - Ceremonies of Light and Dark

[*] Got to say, I'm finding the "sassy computer" subplot more annoying than funny.

Not necessarily blaming you for this, but the backup computer is voiced by Harlan Ellison, who was abrasive to say the least.