Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Party Ape posted:

TLDR: what this guy said.

The only use case for anything like blockchain is maintaining a shared database for specific types of transactional issues between nation states of roughly equal power that don't trust each other.

And that's such a niche issue that you'd be better off solving it with the power of bureaucracy rather than trying to implement something new.

That's it. After a million nerds brainstorming for a million hours, that's the only thing that wouldn't be better done by regular databases, regular contracts and a little trick I like to call "putting bad faith actors in jail".

Can you use blockchain for more things? Absolutely, in the same way I can use a ham[m/st]er to crack open a nut, unlock my door and borrow money from my neighbour. But that doesn't make it "good" or "not wildly illegal".

I was going to use the analogy of a pair of gas powered scissors that you have to pull start the engine on, like a lawn mower, which occasionally lock up but somehow have a cult following of people gushing over them and what other things they might be used to cut, but I like yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

including when I helped spearhead the fall of lowtax

*Roman senator who was 22nd in line to stab Caesar's corpse, at a bar months later*: yeah, I basically spearheaded Caesar's downfall

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Somfin posted:

And web3 is using that to build a toll booth in front of a bridge it doesn't own.

NFTs are selling a jpg of the same bridge.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Blotto_Otter posted:

*Roman senator who was 22nd in line to stab Caesar's corpse, at a bar months later*: yeah, I basically spearheaded Caesar's downfall

I got involved and suddenly Ceasar was on the knife's edge!

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

SpiritOfLenin posted:

NFTs are selling a jpg of the same bridge.

while saying "wouldn't it be cool if everyone had to pay you to cross that bridge"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Donovan Trip posted:

including when I helped spearhead the fall of lowtax

oh word?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Periscope dick more like.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Lol bitcoin people still loving suck. Ideologically consistent loving assholes

https://twitter.com/robaeprice/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They're ideologically consistent right up until it involves them losing money, as in like every time they get hacked ever, especially the Etherium DEO hack which led to the entire system being forked into Etherium and "Etherium classic" so the founders could get their money back.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

the Etherium DEO hack which led to the entire system being forked into Etherium and "Etherium classic" so the founders could get their money back.

learning about this one really blew my mind. "The blockchain is completely decentralized and prevents Sybil attacks, but oh yeah sometimes the handful of groups who actually control the system do whatever they want because they're the Good Guys"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
bitcoin, just like any other vice, has always been controlled by the mafia.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Booyah- posted:

learning about this one really blew my mind. "The blockchain is completely decentralized and prevents Sybil attacks, but oh yeah sometimes the handful of groups who actually control the system do whatever they want because they're the Good Guys"

Protects against rare Sybil attacks, practically invites the almost infinitely more common end user compromise attacks.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mercury_Storm posted:

They're ideologically consistent right up until it involves them losing money, as in like every time they get hacked ever, especially the Etherium DEO hack which led to the entire system being forked into Etherium and "Etherium classic" so the founders could get their money back.

"Code is law" is 100% consistent when you realize laws don't apply to rich people.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/dolly-parton-dollyverse-livestream-sxsw-1235193364/

quote:

The “Dollyverse” will release an exclusive selection of official and certified Dolly NFT collectibles, including limited-edition NFTs of the Run, Rose, Run music album and a limited series of Dolly-inspired NFT artwork, for purchase during and after SXSW. In-person attendees at Parton’s performance will be able to claim a free NFT, while fans streaming the event will be able to receive tokens authenticating their participation.

My head hurts... I thought she was meant to be one of the good ones.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DP gets the benefit of the doubt

Honestly I think a lot of these celebrities just verbally agreed to whatever nerd nonsense their PR/ Financial people blabbed about

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Right now the creative industry sees the whole NFT thing as another fad revenue stream waiting to be tapped. Back in the day it’d be pogs, at this point I’m just waiting to see what kind of unholy collab we’ll be seeing from Disney and Taco Bell on that front.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

snorch posted:

Right now the creative industry sees the whole NFT thing as another fad revenue stream waiting to be tapped. Back in the day it’d be pogs, at this point I’m just waiting to see what kind of unholy collab we’ll be seeing from Disney and Taco Bell on that front.

Didn't TB already do an NFT run?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

snorch posted:

NFTs are way worse than Pogs. At least I could use and enjoy pogs, and actually own them. NFTs are purely a scam for idiots and grifters grifting each other.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah celebs largely have no clue what NFTs actually are and are just being fed info from their brand managers who are brain poisoned with this stuff. The system of a down guy's example was a good one:

https://twitter.com/serjtankian/status/1462921974573793283?s=20&t=xKSRQomtTTkllRYNDFZufQ

"Lazy mining" is not a thing so he probably means lazy minting, which is just compression of transactions into batches, but some guy convinced him this is somehow a renewable process.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Carbon negative. Right. They’re paying some other guy who super promises to plant trees to undo the damage their product does, which they wouldn’t have to do if they weren’t doing the NFTs in the first place

Wonderful.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Damnit, they rugpulled my whole ECOSYSTEM!

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Cryptobros believe in the promise of technology. They can see no avenue in which new technology won't win out. Of course they believe that most jobs can and will be automated in X years, where X is a number pulled directly from their rear end.

Whose gonna build the robots, dipshit? Or mine the materials to create them? Or design new ones when old ones are obsolete? Or fix them when they break? I know your answer is probably more robots, but please take a second to think about that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I used to be a big fan of automation, but I've come to realize capitalism's approach of "good enough to make a profit" will never lead to automation that replaces human labor, because you can always supplement with minimum wage workers.

And so we get lovely software that does the totally wrong thing 10% of the time, the worst possible thing, and a squad of people with fire extinguishers.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Fish Appreciator posted:

Cryptobros believe in the promise of technology. They can see no avenue in which new technology won't win out. Of course they believe that most jobs can and will be automated in X years, where X is a number pulled directly from their rear end.

Whose gonna build the robots, dipshit? Or mine the materials to create them? Or design new ones when old ones are obsolete? Or fix them when they break? I know your answer is probably more robots, but please take a second to think about that.

see if you put the robots on smart contracts then it's impossible for them to break down because the blockchain is immutable

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fish Appreciator posted:

It's robots all the way down.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1498786171442188291

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think he's lying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
usually a video like that is a real estate pitch

does he have a rap persona though

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My other cars are just out of frame, revving.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

KitConstantine posted:

Lol bitcoin people still loving suck. Ideologically consistent loving assholes

https://twitter.com/robaeprice/stat...ingawful.com%2F

They're not wrong, just on the wrong side of history

Expecting galaxy brain takes claiming the (((USA))) tricked Russia into invading purely to try and gently caress with crypto, from some guy whose libertarian ideal of financial independence plays out irl by laundering money for human trafficking gangs in Kosovo via CGI unicorns

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh is Kate McKinnon still on SNL?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
17 emails worth of carbon seems like a number pulled from the bottom os a poo poo ocean.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

El Spamo posted:

I think he's lying

Ya think?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Did you know you can rent expensive cars very cheaply for an hour of filming? :D

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Buy my NFTs, what a way to make a living
Working crypto marks, it's all taking and no giving

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Liquid Communism posted:

Did you know you can rent expensive cars very cheaply for an hour of filming? :D

looks more like he went to beverely hills and just filmed in front of the first expensive car he saw

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Cringeto

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That man has too much forehead and not enough shirt

Also reminds me of the time in high school I was walking with my friends and a really nice sports car stopped at a long red light. I leaned against it and posed for a picture that blocked the driver, who started yelling “Hey! Hey!” as we walked away.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Uh, McFly? Hello??? If you're not gonna help me mint an NFT why don't you just make like a tree and get out of here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I agree in concept. I don't think crypto is essential to any ecosystem, but how are we going to get all the cryptosporidiums to go along with it?