Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

i am also using proton to play elden ring, although I can't play online for some reason. otherwise works nicely. i also have fsr forced on which seems to give me a few more fps

how are you turning on fsr?

I've been eyeing gamescope, but haven't been motivated enough to try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

nudgenudgetilt posted:

how are you turning on fsr?

I've been eyeing gamescope, but haven't been motivated enough to try it out

proton lets you set launch options for each game. for the latest proton-ge build at least, you can add the following:

WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 %command%

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

proton lets you set launch options for each game. for the latest proton-ge build at least, you can add the following:

WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 %command%

word. I'd considered that as well, but having to install proton-ge from aur seemed like something worth giving a shot after trying gamescope from my distro repo

either way I have to gently caress around with game launch settings :effort:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

nudgenudgetilt posted:

word. I'd considered that as well, but having to install proton-ge from aur seemed like something worth giving a shot after trying gamescope from my distro repo

either way I have to gently caress around with game launch settings :effort:

that's fair enough. I don't know what distro you're on but you can get the release builds directly from https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom and just extract them in the steam compatibilitytools folder. then you just select the version of proton in steam (may need restart) and off you go. useful for very new games that need some tweaks

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

that being said it is a bit stuttery in open world areas, but supposedly it's like that on windows too. whether it is worse under linux i do not know.

that is what its like on windows too, but proton experimental has fixed this for the Linux faithful

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

most people either need very little functionality and can use google docs or the web version of office OR are really used to exactly how everything is in office so the differences are incredibly annoying in it's impossible to switch.

how is it possible to get used to exactly how things are in office, the application suite where every application works differently and the interface can be completely rearranged between versions

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

good to hear that proton is working great as long as you pull some random commandline options from a forum and use some other version than the one you're on. i am sure applying this advice once it'll be all good and it wont be a recurring pattern forever.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

look at mr. sunshine there

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

i am also using proton to play elden ring, although I can't play online for some reason. otherwise works nicely. i also have fsr forced on which seems to give me a few more fps

excuse me, i think you mean to say gnu/elden ring

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

look at mr. sunshine there

i mean, fingers crossed 100%, proton seems pretty good, but the moment you start piling on the special settings and having random people tell you some other version will work you *usually* have bad times ahead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use a custom version of proton because i'm a dumbass who plays mmos and mmos are very bad and need special settings, but outside those 2 games i just have "proton experimental" default on steam and it just works(tm)

until fairly recently proton was a lot more temperamental about what works with what version, but since the experimental branch moved to 7.x about a year ago it's been insanely smooth

obviously there's still various catches, like certain anti-cheats simply not working, but that's not really an issue wine can work around without the developer's help

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Anyone have any experience with Silverblue? Literally all the apps I use now are available as flatpaks either from the Fedora flatpak repo, Flathub, or Flathub-beta so I'd not have to do any layering. Have most of the other kinks been worked out of Silverblue now?

If it's in a good spot might switch over at the next Fedora release.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

good to hear that proton is working great as long as you pull some random commandline options from a forum and use some other version than the one you're on. i am sure applying this advice once it'll be all good and it wont be a recurring pattern forever.

this is linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any experience with Silverblue? Literally all the apps I use now are available as flatpaks either from the Fedora flatpak repo, Flathub, or Flathub-beta so I'd not have to do any layering. Have most of the other kinks been worked out of Silverblue now?

If it's in a good spot might switch over at the next Fedora release.

yeah it's very good i've been using it for a couple of years now. nvidia graphics might be iffy maybe?

Captain Foo posted:

this is linux

idk i use the same version of proton for everything (proton experimental) and i don't screw around with any command line options taken from a forum or otherwise but if you prefer living in your reality over this one then feel free

i'd say the vast majority of games including denuvo'd stuff works now, it's really been coming along in leaps and bounds these past few years. multiplayer games with aggressive anti-cheat might have issues.

elden ring multiplayer works fine for me fwiw.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
huh I didn't realise there was a proton experimental branch... it's been a long time since I played a game

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I think there has been an experimental proton since shortly after it was released. I've never seen a point in not using it, since it's just a dropdrown in prefs, and seems to consistently work as well or better than "released" versions.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

proton is a really impressive project. would have absolutely blown younger me's mind.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

how is it possible to get used to exactly how things are in office, the application suite where every application works differently and the interface can be completely rearranged between versions
That's like saying "how is it possible to get used to how things are in vim, when it's all customizable, and have trouble switching to emacs"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah it's very good i've been using it for a couple of years now. nvidia graphics might be iffy maybe?

Awesome, I don't have an nvidia card so that doesn't matter, but I imagine you'd just rpm-tree layer it on the system image and occasionally have to reboot to install updates for it.

I'm already using Fedora and do the updates through their preferred reboot-apply method anyway, so the need reboot for Silverblue doesn't change anything for me. And, in fact, it'd probably be better since it's basically setting up the image to reboot into next time ahead of time rather than making changes on the next boot, so that next boot should be just as fast as a regular one. If you encrypt your drive you also shouldn't need to put in your password an extra time to decrypt to install updates, reboot, then decrypt again.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

the latest nvidia drivers are actually pretty good under wayland. the only real holdup with wayland at this point are applications that dragged their feet on support (mpv still has some bugs and java only recently started working on native wayland support so everything is still blurry with hidpi scaling)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

the latest nvidia drivers are actually pretty good under wayland. the only real holdup with wayland at this point are applications that dragged their feet on support (mpv still has some bugs and java only recently started working on native wayland support so everything is still blurry with hidpi scaling)

which compositor are you using? I'm still having wayland troubles on my amd/nvidia/gnome system. running in nvidia-only mode with wayland and plugging/unplugging an external display intermittently crashs gnome-shell. running in hybrid mode with wayland, the external display isn't detected at all until I power up the nvidia card via prime-run, then does the same intermittent crashy poo poo as an nvidia-only config

for a long time the only way I could get an external display working on this thing was running nvidia-only mode with x11, but with nv 510 drivers, the external display finally started working in hybrid mode x11 (yey dma-buf). I have my fingers crossed that gnome 42 will clear up some of the wayland behavior

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

which compositor are you using? I'm still having wayland troubles on my amd/nvidia/gnome system. running in nvidia-only mode with wayland and plugging/unplugging an external display intermittently crashs gnome-shell. running in hybrid mode with wayland, the external display isn't detected at all until I power up the nvidia card via prime-run, then does the same intermittent crashy poo poo as an nvidia-only config

for a long time the only way I could get an external display working on this thing was running nvidia-only mode with x11, but with nv 510 drivers, the external display finally started working in hybrid mode x11 (yey dma-buf). I have my fingers crossed that gnome 42 will clear up some of the wayland behavior

gnome, but it's a desktop nvidia-only setup where nothing gets added or removed except the occasional usb device

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

i currently use synergy a lot and also need screen sharing to not randomly fail to start so i'm stuck on x11 still

to be fair to synergy i imagine there's a bunch of issues with running something like it with wayland's process/security model, probably has to go into the wm or something

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The_Franz posted:

Discord still not having system wide PTT support under wayland is... less than ideal.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

to be fair to synergy i imagine there's a bunch of issues with running something like it with wayland's process/security model, probably has to go into the wm or something

I think the security model problems are mostly solved by pipewire and xdg-desktop-portal, but it seems like maintainers of legacy tools are more interested in screaming about how wayland is destroying their world than contributing to or adopting new protocols

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I think the security model problems are mostly solved by pipewire and xdg-desktop-portal, but it seems like maintainers of legacy tools are more interested in screaming about how wayland is destroying their world than contributing to or adopting new protocols

it looks like xdg-desktop-portal is some flatpak solving-problems-they-created bullshit rather than anything to do with mouse/keyboard capture and emulation?

skimmed the readme and they don't really say anything about what it's for, and can't be bothered to look further

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wayland doesn't allow arbitrary applications to act as keyloggers, an application that wants access to a user's key and mouse inputs across the whole desktop has to go through the necessary channels.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

wayland doesn't allow arbitrary applications to act as keyloggers, an application that wants access to a user's key and mouse inputs across the whole desktop has to go through the necessary channels.

nor does it allow random userspace applications to warp the mouse pointer or even query global window or pointer coordinates, which is good, because userland applications have no business doing any of those things

if you read the early conversations from the java people tasked with wayland support though, it's apparently a very big deal. when macos stopped letting random applications warp the mouse pointer, several game developers had a meltdown, because the way they handled mouse input was to center the pointer every frame, calculate how much to move the camera from the delta and then re-center it for the next frame. for whatever reason, they were still doing this janky crap despite every desktop having raw relative mouse input events for years

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

nor does it allow random userspace applications to warp the mouse pointer or even query global window or pointer coordinates, which is good, because userland applications have no business doing any of those things

ah okay in that case i'll just keep using the thing that works, and continue leaving the thing that doesn't work to the architectural navel gazers

have you been involved with the gnome settings UIs by any chance?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Discord still not having system wide PTT support under wayland is... less than ideal.

also wayland doesn't support all the F keys higher than 12 somehow. I normally use f24 for push to talk since no other app uses that as a hotkey and it won't work under wayland. xev catches an empty event, the wayland equivalent i forgot the name of catches nothing lmao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

i currently use synergy a lot and also need screen sharing to not randomly fail to start so i'm stuck on x11 still

there really isn't any reason if you're not dealing with privileged port, which are privileged only if you don't have something like mac_portacl(4), which was invented to address the notion that some ports are per definition privileged

the fork of the last free version of synergy has plans for wayland support

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 3, 2022

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Truga posted:

also wayland doesn't support all the F keys higher than 12 somehow. I normally use f24 for push to talk since no other app uses that as a hotkey and it won't work under wayland. xev catches an empty event, the wayland equivalent i forgot the name of catches nothing lmao

this is barely more reasonable than spacebar heating though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ooh steamos uses btrfs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this is barely more reasonable than spacebar heating though

not supporting standard PC features is reasonable? f13-24 have been part of the pc spec for decades this isn't some arcane thing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tankakern posted:

ooh steamos uses btrfs

fail

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it's fine as long as you aren't using raid 5 or 6

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

ah okay in that case i'll just keep using the thing that works, and continue leaving the thing that doesn't work to the architectural navel gazers

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED A BROWSER ENHANCEMENT! CLICK 'ACCEPT' TO ENTER A WORLD OF SAVINGS AND GREAT DEALS, OR 'CANCEL' TO BE A FOOL AND IGNORE THESE GREAT OFFERS!"
*goes to click 'cancel'*
*pointer suddenly appears over the 'accept' button*

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The_Franz posted:

it's fine as long as you aren't using raid 5 or 6

Hey, maybe Valve will make some contributions to the FS to actually fix those issues if they're going to be using it in their hardware.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED A BROWSER ENHANCEMENT! CLICK 'ACCEPT' TO ENTER A WORLD OF SAVINGS AND GREAT DEALS, OR 'CANCEL' TO BE A FOOL AND IGNORE THESE GREAT OFFERS!"
*goes to click 'cancel'*
*pointer suddenly appears over the 'accept' button*

javascript isn't real and can't hurt you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I doubt they'll fix btrfs' myriad deficiencies. I'd assume they use it as a single disk fs with transparent compression and snapshots, and in that use case btrfs is fine.

It just can't do anything more than that.