Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Met my yearly goal to break 90 on the first 18 out this year with a 50 + 39 = 89 :stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Shrapnig posted:

Is this true though? It's the only professional sport where you can show up, play, and walk away without making a dime if you had a "bad game."

The monetarily best years golfers have ever had, excluding end of season bonuses like the FedEx Cup/Race to Dubai, is like role player NBA money. Yes it looks wild when a guy takes home a check for $1m on Sunday but that only happens ~40 times a year and rarely more than once for the same guy.

The cost of being on the PGA Tour is significantly higher since you're on the hook for all of your own expenses. I think DeChambeau said it costs at minimum about $500k a year to play a full schedule with travel, etc. Obviously that cost probably gets mostly picked up in sponsorships but it's money that an NBA player doesn't have to spend.

I guess I always compare it to Tennis, because they are both solo sports, but in particular golf is a far easier game to make a living than tennis is even though tennis has a dramatically bigger fanbase and more viewership.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

drat Phil probably thought these days were behind him.

https://twitter.com/GolfCentral/status/1499032990311141376

https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/1499072747703611399

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger shade is the best shade especially towards Phil lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hey, at least he made good on his promise to find a new hot topic of conversation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man it's so satisfying playing 18 on a simulator in your garage after a lovely day of work. Wonderful stress relief.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played golf out of the 'heavy construction equipment muddy track mark' lies, and let me tell you, i never felt better about dropping stuff out

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

New addition for the putting green!

https://imgur.com/a/ToVx0Zx

I heard Vessel made nice bags but this thing is super nice! Might have to look into their full size bags now lol

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Vessel bags are crazy expensive, but they are so good they're approaching being worth the price tag. The quality is just way beyond the stuff that you see from the standard bag companies.

A couple years ago I had a chance to buy whatever I wanted for $150 and I'm sad that I only bought one. Now they're charging over $300 for any of the stand bags.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/LifeOfTimReilly/status/1499816865916493834

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lol Matt Jones not happy with the greens
at Bay Hill throws his putter into the lake

https://imgur.com/a/YWeg1AP

Now putting with a wedge.

So, assuming he plays tomorrow, can he replace it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Lol Matt Jones not happy with the greens
at Bay Hill throws his putter into the lake

https://imgur.com/a/YWeg1AP

Now putting with a wedge.

So, assuming he plays tomorrow, can he replace it?

Yeah, he can play 100% new equipment if he wants, round to round.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mattfl posted:

My man, anytime you're in central florida the round is on me!

Yo I’m going to be back in Orlando in about a week. Maybe we could get a round in.

Beautiful day today in Atlanta.

Bag is also looking on point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Yo I’m going to be back in Orlando in about a week. Maybe we could get a round in.

Beautiful day today in Atlanta.

Bag is also looking on point.

Yo! For sure let's do it.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 6, 2022

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

mattfl posted:

Yo! For sure let's do it.

Cool, emailed you in case you want to edit your message.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Cool, emailed you in case you want to edit your message.

Good deal.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

A) Dalys beard is amazing, and

B) gently caress, its like being on the phone with my dad :rant:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Two buddies and I went to a top golf-esque place yesterday. Simed a few courses over...8 hours. I am so unbelievably sore today.
Long way to go to my goal of breaking 100, but considering these were my first swings of the year I think I'm in an okay starting spot!

Also I hit my new (to me) Mavrik Max 3 wood and it felt SO GOOD.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Uh, wow...Arccos is embarrassingly better on iOS. The interface is significantly improved and snappier and the Watch side is on a completely different level. The shot tracking on the Apple Watch didn't miss a single shot. It was incredible.

Guess I'm moving to iOS. I don't love a ton about the OS but I can't deny how much easier it makes my golf life.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

Uh, wow...Arccos is embarrassingly better on iOS. The interface is significantly improved and snappier and the Watch side is on a completely different level. The shot tracking on the Apple Watch didn't miss a single shot. It was incredible.

Guess I'm moving to iOS. I don't love a ton about the OS but I can't deny how much easier it makes my golf life.
did your watch battery last a full round with detection? and if so which watch model....iPhone isn't picking up shots very reliably in my long pants, considering switching to watch but if it only lasts 13 holes it's a non-starter

also, played my first round of the year on Friday, shot 83, beating my previous best score by 12 :aaa: Goal for the summer was to break 90, i guess i'll check that off

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kirios posted:

I might end up trying them again if this is true. I loved it when it worked with my s8, but it missed shots every single hole. I’ve since switched to iPhone + watch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wyoak posted:

did your watch battery last a full round with detection? and if so which watch model....iPhone isn't picking up shots very reliably in my long pants, considering switching to watch but if it only lasts 13 holes it's a non-starter

also, played my first round of the year on Friday, shot 83, beating my previous best score by 12 :aaa: Goal for the summer was to break 90, i guess i'll check that off

Series 6. It used... Maybe 40% of the watch battery?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Shot an 81 at my home course yesterday, which is about 6 strokes better than I've ever shot there and I still had 3 holes with double bogeys that could have been bogey or par had I not bladed/chunked a chip on each. My game has drastically improved over the last few weeks simply from me switching to a strong grip. I can't believe it took me this long to figure that out.

We actually had to start our round over though because a friend of my friend came to play with us, proceeded to lose his phone halfway through the first hole (I guess he stuck it on the seat of his cart and it slid out when he made a turn), and then we spent literally an hour going up and down the hole trying to find it with no luck. He even went back to his truck and got his apple watch which should have connected to the phone if he got within 30 feet and still nothing. Finally, an hour later, someone answered it after we'd called it a few dozen times and said they'd bring it to us. As it turns out, this older guy picked the phone up less than 30 seconds after our friend dropped it, stuck it in his bag with the intention of turning it into lost & found at the end of his round, and then didn't look at it once as he played 5 more holes. I was honestly flabbergasted. I can't imagine picking someone's phone up on a golf course and then just going about my day like they won't be desperately searching for it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got my first official lesson scheduled. This poor guy has no idea what he's in for

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I finally clicked on one of these and was amazed that a big name golf company (Callaway) produced content this good. Some of the best golf interviews I've ever heard.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCr8Wo4ECVZFW3bHn50s1SI3zf-r-KLse

Edit: here's Roger's(the interviewer) long drive swing. 140mph?
https://youtu.be/NrpsPzWcFlA

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 8, 2022

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Omne posted:

Got my first official lesson scheduled. This poor guy has no idea what he's in for

Give 'em hell

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My short game, in GIFV format.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
How do you all figure out your club distances when starting? Do I just use approximate distances at the range (like the green flag is 150y and I can hit my 7i thereish)? Book a lot of simulator time? Get one of those Arccos type systems and just start playing to collect data (or, haha, just start playing and keep notes)?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

How do you all figure out your club distances when starting? Do I just use approximate distances at the range (like the green flag is 150y and I can hit my 7i thereish)? Book a lot of simulator time? Get one of those Arccos type systems and just start playing to collect data (or, haha, just start playing and keep notes)?

Blindly assume you hit the same distance as tour pros, and when you come up short say “must not have gotten all of that one.”

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

ChiTownEddie posted:

It can be kind of hard, especially at the beginning. Honestly, the best way to go about it until you can really start dialing it in is to use this:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

Find your 5 iron distance and then fill in all the drop downs. It's pretty eerily accurate for the most part. I hit my 5 iron about 180 on average, so filling that in with all the other drop downs has me hitting driver 270 average. My driver average is 285 so it's off by a little bit but every other club is pretty close.

The hardest thing for me even still is figuring out wedge distances. It feels like I should be hitting my 52* 105 but it's around 90 on a full swing. That's just going to take more practice though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

xsf421 posted:

Blindly assume you hit the same distance as tour pros, and when you come up short say “must not have gotten all of that one.”

Already pro level at that :smuggo:

Daric posted:

It can be kind of hard, especially at the beginning. Honestly, the best way to go about it until you can really start dialing it in is to use this:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

Find your 5 iron distance and then fill in all the drop downs. It's pretty eerily accurate for the most part. I hit my 5 iron about 180 on average, so filling that in with all the other drop downs has me hitting driver 270 average. My driver average is 285 so it's off by a little bit but every other club is pretty close.

The hardest thing for me even still is figuring out wedge distances. It feels like I should be hitting my 52* 105 but it's around 90 on a full swing. That's just going to take more practice though.

This is a great starting spot, thanks! The I fiddled until the clubs I have an idea of were in-line and it seems pretty good to start!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Try and get on a course during cheap twilight hours on a quiet evening and play like 3 balls, hitting each with different clubs and noting your shot distances. Only play the best balls and try everything. Obv. Be mindful if you're holding up the grounds staff or other groups, but the best way to gauge your distances, is to measure your real world distances

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
If you're playing with a group and they are more experienced, ask them. I've gotten a lot of good info from a friend of mine that has been playing for 20 years. He's given very good advice on which clubs to use when, even though my overall distance is still a work in progress.

Played my first round of the year just before the super bowl. I played pretty bad :( but my new approach wedge has been great. First new club I ever bought and its perfect for wedge shots between the PW and SW distances. Felt bad getting dirt and mud on it though lol.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Trip report: Sawgrass owns.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ChiTownEddie posted:

Take that 5-iron and toss it into the closet and replace it with a hybrid. Start with your 7 iron and gap 10 up/down from there and always club up a bit on the scarier approaches.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Take that 5-iron and toss it into the closet and replace it with a hybrid. Start with your 7 iron and gap 10 up/down from there and always club up a bit on the scarier approaches.

This.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I’m going to CA for a wedding next month and put together a greater golf itinerary than I thought possible:

1. TPC Harding Park
2. Olympic Club
3. MOTHERFUCKING CYPRESS POINT AHHHHHH AHHHHH AHHHHHH WFHSOWHDHOSKWBIDCOBAOWD
4. Monterey Peninsula Club
5. Spyglass

Please, for the love of god, let Cypress stick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That's an absurd lineup, sheesh.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mederlock posted:

Try and get on a course during cheap twilight hours on a quiet evening and play like 3 balls, hitting each with different clubs and noting your shot distances. Only play the best balls and try everything. Obv. Be mindful if you're holding up the grounds staff or other groups, but the best way to gauge your distances, is to measure your real world distances

Cool, my plan was to hopefully get out before/after work on weekdays for quick 9h practice rounds!
Man, I'm ready for the weather too turn a bit more haha.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Huh, 5i is my worst club... A hybrid is that much easier to hit normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Huh, 5i is my worst club... A hybrid is that much easier to hit normally?

Long irons are pretty reliant on a higher swing speed. Hybrids are just some sort of witchcraft.