Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Computers were a fuckload better ten years ago, their win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
computers are massively better now than they were 10 years ago. software is worse

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

managed to get another on-site at apple. gonna do a bunch of adderall and studying the next week or two.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my homie dhall posted:

like it or not, crypto poo poo has enough mainstream coverage and money behind it that you can't expect every average, and even decent normie to be able to be discerning enough to identify it as a ponzi scheme.

man if I'm hiring an architect to make decisions for the whole loving company I sure hope they can spot most blockchains-as-cryptocurrency ponzi schemes. Like if they have some NFT avatar and it's not something they hacked from a hosed up lovely smart contract I'm instantly having doubt about their judgment.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

for the record we’re not talking about people whose jobs are blockchain, as far as I’m concerned you’re doing a job that you may or may not want to do, we’ve all got blemishes on our records. but if you come in and try to tell me about how blockchain is going to change the world or anything remotely of that sort, you’re done, the most you’ll get out of us at that point is a polite chat until the time is up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i was at a big org in a role that an enterprise architect should work closely with. they hired one and i met with him once as an intro and then never saw this guy again

then like six months later I heard he got shitcanned, turns out he was blockchain enthusiast, true story

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i specifically asked what emerging technologies he was keeping an eye on that he could see the industry moving torwards. this was for an interview for a software architect. the questions we asked before that one and after were regarding being a software architect in a healthcare company. i wasn't just shooting the poo poo

Did you ask them what technologies they were excited about or what technologies they could see industry moving towards? Those are different questions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pretty sure i asked what he was excited about and phrased it as having impact on the industry but it was also like five months ago so who knows

i really didn't think that anecdote would kick off this much discussion

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

PokeJoe posted:

im interested in staying away from blockchain but would also like to hear about how dumb companies are shoehorning it into stuff for no reason

they mostly aren't actually shoehorning it in. they're just telling investors that they are and then building something which doesn't involve a blockchain

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I know people who were working at a hardware startup for IoT poo poo and to survive they had to take investor money and the investors had them put in a cryptocurrency. It's working apparently.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PIZZA.BAT posted:

pretty sure i asked what he was excited about and phrased it as having impact on the industry but it was also like five months ago so who knows

i really didn't think that anecdote would kick off this much discussion

anything to do with crypto is political. it shouldn’t be, it’s pretty clear cut it’s a useless tech for scammers and abject morons, but people do genuinely view an attachment to crypto in the same vein as political party attachment, and that being a crypto bro should be protected like who you vote for. this is as opposed to viewing the candidate as having an awful, awful outlook on technology.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

political affiliation isn’t a protected class in the us or canada lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MononcQc posted:

I know people who were working at a hardware startup for IoT poo poo and to survive they had to take investor money and the investors had them put in a cryptocurrency. It's working apparently.

is it helium

the cryptocurrency I mean

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PCjr sidecar posted:

political affiliation isn’t a protected class in the us or canada lol

well there you go

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

is it helium

the cryptocurrency I mean

eh I won’t give more details at this point but will just point out there’s way more drat IoT cryptocurrencies than would ever make sense https://coinmarketcap.com/view/iot/

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

posting for career path advice rather than interviewing advice, but this feels like the best thread for it

I'm a senior engineer at a startup. my boss, the director of engineering, just put in their notice. my boss' boss is asking if I'm interested in stepping into a leadership position

the way it has been described to me is that management responsibilities would be added slowly so that I could get practice at it and figure out if I like it. it would start out with team lead responsibilities and expand from there, with an actual promotion and figgie bump down the line

I have a number of questions and concerns:
- I'm not sure if I want to be in management at all. I like being an IC, and I think my ideal career path would be IC work on more and more interesting projects for more and more money. I don't know how reasonable that is short of having a phd

- what if I'm not any good at it? I'm pretty good at my current job and generally like it, as much as I could like having to do anything 40 hours a week for money

- relatedly, I've been a developer for a relatively short amount of time, having transitioned from real engineering to fake engineering. I've learned a lot, especially being the first software engineer my current company hired after my current boss. there are still huge areas of software development I know nothing about. I'm a bit concerned that even if this move is what I want, doing it too early could be detrimental

- my outgoing boss thinks I should go for it. he says that this is the kind of opportunity he wishes he had at my age. pretty sure his end goal has always been startup CTO fwiw

- I'm hesitant to take on additional responsibilities now for the promise of future figgies. if I go for this I will be negotiating for an immediate pay bump. the title is more or less meaningless to me

any suggestions for questions I should be asking or things I should be negotiating for? I would also be interested in hearing about peoples experiences with moving into management, and if they had any regrets or things they wish they had done differently

at this point I'm leaning towards going for it. worst case scenario if I hate it I could always hit da bricks and try to get an IC role at a tech major - which I'm pretty sure would be the threads advice to me if I had posted about my situation prior to this

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
IC career path is absolutely possible, you can keep getting promoted and getting more money without ever going into "management" beyond just tech leadership. but to do this you need to be at a larger company with a defined track of senior engineer, staff engineer, principal engineer... and your startup almost certainly doesn't have this. similarly, they are saying they want you to be management, how many people would you actually manage? how would your responsibilities really change? also how old are you and how many years of experience do you have? if you are under 30 and your title is "director of engineering", nobody outside your company is going to believe you are actually a director of engineering. you are absolutely right about the figgies though, figgies come now not later. you could also ask for substantially more equity (but not in lieu of figgies)

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

IC career path is absolutely possible, you can keep getting promoted and getting more money without ever going into "management" beyond just tech leadership. but to do this you need to be at a larger company with a defined track of senior engineer, staff engineer, principal engineer... and your startup almost certainly doesn't have this. similarly, they are saying they want you to be management, how many people would you actually manage? how would your responsibilities really change? also how old are you and how many years of experience do you have? if you are under 30 and your title is "director of engineering", nobody outside your company is going to believe you are actually a director of engineering. you are absolutely right about the figgies though, figgies come now not later. you could also ask for substantially more equity (but not in lieu of figgies)

you're right that that kind of structure does not exist at my company. I'm over 30, but not by a lot. a director title is not in the short term cards, for now it would just be a team lead. I think it would start with 3 people or so

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
team lead of a small team ain't such a bad gig, that's basically what i do and i still have time between meetings to write some computer programs (ok, sql queries). i assume you already know the people you'd be managing, so i think the main risks there would be if they don't respect your experience enough to be team lead (and they're bitter it isn't them), or if they require micromanagement. my team is pretty independent and i act mainly as a tech resource for them, and also an interface to/from the exec team

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yup that’s been my experience well. i’m mostly there to solve ‘people problems’ for them like if a team were depending on isn’t responsive or if stakeholders are getting snippy. i’ve only had one guy who needed to be micromanaged but i was able to get him on track just by building trust in him that it was ok for him to ask questions and be more proactive with stuff. now he’s doing great.

i say go for it. make sure you get some upfront figgies along with additional figgies in writing for a year from now should you continue to adopt the role. my personal experience is that this has been great because i don’t code for work anymore and for the first time since college i’ve actually enjoyed working on personal projects again

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

team lead of a small team ain't such a bad gig, that's basically what i do and i still have time between meetings to write some computer programs (ok, sql queries). i assume you already know the people you'd be managing, so i think the main risks there would be if they don't respect your experience enough to be team lead (and they're bitter it isn't them), or if they require micromanagement. my team is pretty independent and i act mainly as a tech resource for them, and also an interface to/from the exec team

the current team is really solid. we will definitely be hiring more people this year, which I'm more concerned about than our current team. I have limited interviewing experience and I don't think I'm very good at it. it's not like I have nobody to lean on here, I'm just more worried about new team members than the current team

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

glad i waited it out from that previous offer. got a new one at a different place for a 69% TC bump. nice

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Flaming June posted:

glad i waited it out from that previous offer. got a new one at a different place for a 69% TC bump. nice

nice

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I took a bit of a depression break from the job hunt but some stuff finally came through. I have three companies lookin at me right now with some technical interviews on the horizon and some decent figgies in my future. one of the jobs up front talked compensation and my eyes bugged out at the sick deal I’d get if I do well. nice to have a recruiter be open about expected salaries and stuff before we even start the whole process

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sent out 3 applications, have a tech screen with the company that will singlehandedly end western civilization as we know it (Meta) next week, I'm hoping for once in my life I can have competing offers from some big names and really scalp big tech with no mercy whatsoever.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what’s been the turnaround between application and response for y’all lately? I sent out a handful a week and a half ago to positions I thought, with a lot of hubris, would be all over my nutsack, but haven’t heard a peep

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I took a bit of a depression break from the job hunt but some stuff finally came through. I have three companies lookin at me right now with some technical interviews on the horizon and some decent figgies in my future. one of the jobs up front talked compensation and my eyes bugged out at the sick deal I’d get if I do well. nice to have a recruiter be open about expected salaries and stuff before we even start the whole process

If you get to real interviews, ask what kind of rewards you can expect if you're putting in 40 hours a week / not setting the world on fire.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flaming June posted:

nice

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i've been looking at jobs lately and i am unsettled by the number of data engineer positions i've seen that also include "presenting data"

this used to be the perfect pure-backend/quantitative job and these loving corpos better not ruin it by making us have qualitative responsibilities again

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Corla Plankun posted:

i've been looking at jobs lately and i am unsettled by the number of data engineer positions i've seen that also include "presenting data"

this used to be the perfect pure-backend/quantitative job and these loving corpos better not ruin it by making us have qualitative responsibilities again

you know how frontend and backend development got squished into one position to save money? it's bound to happen to data engineer/scientists and other BI folk

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I wonder what % of new engineer responsibilities used to be done by a biz major or a well trained secretary

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

CarForumPoster posted:

I wonder what % of new engineer responsibilities used to be done by a biz major or a well trained secretary

lol my first 2 years at a civil firm were 90% printing and copy-editing

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

lol my first 2 years at a civil firm were 90% printing and copy-editing

billable hours?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

CarForumPoster posted:

billable hours?

Oh yes. I was a credulous fool fresh out of college but I know how it all works now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is anyone here familiar with the biotech companies in the oyster point area of south SF? I interviewed for a job with one, it's remote, but I was just curious. It's for a biostat position at CareDx, and that's where they are headquartered. they did ask if also moving to SF was an option, to which I said no because of housing prices lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

actionjackson posted:

is anyone here familiar with the biotech companies in the oyster point area of south SF? I interviewed for a job with one, it's remote, but I was just curious. It's for a biostat position at CareDx, and that's where they are headquartered. they did ask if also moving to SF was an option, to which I said no because of housing prices lol
I know plenty of folks who have been into and out of those, what I gather is that your experience will depend largely on your immediate team since software is an also-ran at places like that there's no "people who can munge a string are wizards" vibe. I've also heard some of the "real" scientists can be snotty to computer touchers

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

qirex posted:

I know plenty of folks who have been into and out of those, what I gather is that your experience will depend largely on your immediate team since software is an also-ran at places like that there's no "people who can munge a string are wizards" vibe. I've also heard some of the "real" scientists can be snotty to computer touchers

i'm not sure if I count as a computer toucher, biostatistician is kind of a weird job, there's the programmatic part of course, but also the consulting/explaining to non-statisticians part as well

the only "languages" i know are SAS (which is a piece of poo poo) and R. from what I gather this is a small group of about 10 biostatisticians. I have a lot of experience working with solid organ transplant data so that's why I was contacted - they make products to try to detect early evidence of graft injury or rejection.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

actionjackson posted:

i'm not sure if I count as a computer toucher, biostatistician is kind of a weird job, there's the programmatic part of course, but also the consulting/explaining to non-statisticians part as well

the only "languages" i know are SAS (which is a piece of poo poo) and R. from what I gather this is a small group of about 10 biostatisticians. I have a lot of experience working with solid organ transplant data so that's why I was contacted - they make products to try to detect early evidence of graft injury or rejection.
no clue about your specific field, most of the people I know who have worked at those places were either in software or admin

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

qirex posted:

no clue about your specific field, most of the people I know who have worked at those places were either in software or admin

right, it's a relatively small field, that's why I don't really have a great place to ask about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
CareDx bought a software company a few years ago called Ottr, I think. I've talked with that team that got acquired in 2019 and they seemed to love their job. That's about all I can say about it.