Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I stuck with the top one in the Hunter tree the entire game. When I replay it for my roommate I’ll experiment with the others, but being able to triple nock an advanced hunter arrow and hit a weak spot for 2000 damage basically made my decision for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The melee combat in this game has improved so much and is much more varied with all the combos I highly recommend people give it a shot.

Obviously I don't use it against bigger enemies but anything that's not the size of a small building I'm more than happy to just pull out the spear and just start whackin'. Once you start learning the tells so you can dodge out of the way of their attacks you can pretty much avoid taking any damage at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Concerning powershots and the spike thrower, for explosive spikes and drill spikes, does it only affect the initial hit or does it also boost the follow up explosion and drilling? I guess even if it doesn't, its still nice for the free ammo but then at that point it might just be better to use a good blastsling instead

Your spike thrower ammo will be refunded but I think only for the Rank 2/3 valor surge, and any weapon skills that burn extra ammo will still get used.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
gently caress that pit in the bastion with the two guys. As soon as the screen fades from black, I'm getting hit, or if I doge that guy, hammer bro hits me and I'm down 1/3 my health. Obviously I need better armor and elemental resistance, but even with my most-shocky armor with my most melee & sock weaves in it, I get wrecked. The other alternative is to get good, but that's probably not happening.

All in all though, game is so good!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Hollismason posted:

How far into the main story do I need to get before things really open up and I get more settlements that sell weapons and gear? I really need better gear and all that's available to me is Chainscrape and Plainsong.

The name of the main quest to clear is The Dying Lands, which should be your next one if you’ve made it to Plainsong

e:f,b

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 1, 2022

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Lumpy posted:

gently caress that pit in the bastion with the two guys. As soon as the screen fades from black, I'm getting hit, or if I doge that guy, hammer bro hits me and I'm down 1/3 my health. Obviously I need better armor and elemental resistance, but even with my most-shocky armor with my most melee & sock weaves in it, I get wrecked. The other alternative is to get good, but that's probably not happening.

All in all though, game is so good!

Armor doesn't matter, you'rr unequipped. That was the hardest of the bunch for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IcePhoenix posted:

The melee combat in this game has improved so much and is much more varied with all the combos I highly recommend people give it a shot.

Obviously I don't use it against bigger enemies but anything that's not the size of a small building I'm more than happy to just pull out the spear and just start whackin'. Once you start learning the tells so you can dodge out of the way of their attacks you can pretty much avoid taking any damage at all.

You can still use it against bigger enemies, just either have to anticipate their attacks better or disable them first. Frost bombs are always great and I'm loving the new Adhesive status for that, too. Once your melee skill tree has got some of the bottom filled out you can combo your way to a Resonator Blast pretty quickly for big damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lobok posted:

You can still use it against bigger enemies, just either have to anticipate their attacks better or disable them first. Frost bombs are always great and I'm loving the new Adhesive status for that, too. Once your melee skill tree has got some of the bottom filled out you can combo your way to a Resonator Blast pretty quickly for big damage.

maybe I'll try it next time I just always seem to get owned by something that I can't figure out how to dodge. When you say bombs do you mean from the blast sling or traps? I actually haven't used the sling because I haven't found one that I really like element-wise but I know I want to give it a shot because I used it a lot in HZD.

Also it's fun to use shredders on big machines (especially after I've corroded them) which requires me to be at more of a distance so I can catch them

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IcePhoenix posted:

maybe I'll try it next time I just always seem to get owned by something that I can't figure out how to dodge. When you say bombs do you mean from the blast sling or traps? I actually haven't used the sling because I haven't found one that I really like element-wise but I know I want to give it a shot because I used it a lot in HZD.

I was thinking sling but traps too, yeah. I've got Advanced Acid, Purgewater, and Shock Traps that give me options against quite a few enemies. I have Frost on a Warrior Bow and a Boltblaster and those can inflict Frozen status fast too without needing much aim or needing to be too close.

The one main drawback (ha) of slings is the time it takes to hold R2 to get a good trajectory but that's part of why the first Weapon Stamina move for slings is good because if you're farther away you'd normally need to pullback all the way but with that move it works to your advantage to be farther away and just tap R1 because you'll get the low trajectory for bouncing along the ground (assuming there's not much uneven ground or stuff in the way and you don't need to lead your target much).

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

el oso posted:

Was it just me that stuck with the Radial Blast as their valor surge for their entire playthrough? It was just so valuable as an OH gently caress GET OFF ME lifesaver when things started getting hairy. I don't think I even tried anything else
Nope, Stealth and Power Shots depending on application.

Fedule posted:

Oh, I didn't notice at first, but, I guess when I beat the final boss I had Powershots active, and now Aloy's still got the face paint on during cutscenes. Cool?

Would love to see the metrics on Valor Surge choice. Personally, I started out with the medicine one that makes you literally invincible, but then I noticed the max level of Powershots and haven't taken it off since. I have a feeling this won't be a unique story and many Valor Surges go completely unused.

Power Shots is entirely too useful in murdering everything big, especially at higher difficulty levels. On Hard I can just murder bigger things instead of screwing with them. Power Shot lets me get off two Braces Shot Power Shots with Advanced arrows and that makes a massive dent. The last 3 shots are usually advanced spike thrower which either ends the fight or puts it right on the doorstep.

As a bonus I can use Power Shots and Braced Shot to murder something by hitting it in the tail getting me the rare materials without risking hitting the annoying explosive sacks that need to stay intact that are usually in the front.

Clarste posted:

I started with Powershots because it just looked strong, but I briefly tried out the stealth one only to be disappointed that it didn't immediately put you in full stealth, making it kind of useless in the middle of a fight; might as well just use a smoke bomb. The other ones all seemed like trash just from the numbers.
It does put you in full stealth though? I've popped it and dodge rolled behind someone, waited a second then started doing stealth finishers. I've used it in front of a giant snake and just stealthed away? If you sprint after using it they will kind of follow you, just don't do that. The third level lasts a long time and you get energy back when doing a stealth melee kill. I've gone through big chunks of a large camp with that. getting kill after kill.

Clarste posted:

Honestly I'd be more willing to try out different ones if you didn't lose meter for switching, that really discourages picking the best one for the situation so you stick with the best generalist one instead.

You don't lose bar unless you change from something that has a higher level to a lower level one as far as I can tell. I have repeatedly changed between level 3 Power Shots and level 3 stealth and lost no meter at all. If I change from a full level 3 to a level 1 then I lose all the excess.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 1, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It doesn't work the opposite way?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
TIL if you get afflicted with Plasma, you can dodgeroll the explosion like it's Ninja Gaiden.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It annoys me how a lot of Firegleam points stay on my map after I've cleared them.

edit: The thing one poster mentioned about combing the stealth valor surge with the abilities that give valor on stealth kills sounds interesting.

bobjr posted:

There's definitely been times in fights with multiple machines where the get knocked down/spend time getting up/get knocked down before you can really do anything loop kept happening to me.

It feels like they tried to nerf just charging up a power attack and knocking robots over, but I think too many robots go for leap that end in additional thrashing, where your dodge isn't enough to get out of the way.

Yeah, I'm confused about how I'm supposed to use my full "knock machines over" melee combo; machines basically never give you enough time to do that, even if you wait until the end of one of their own attack combos. And when there are multiple machines, the combination of their ranged attacks and jumping melee attacks can sometimes feel impossible to avoid.

One thing I've found to be very useful is using the Warrior Bow burst shot with electric arrows to down small-ish machines, which you can then finish off with a critical strike (or just electric stuff in general, but the Warrior Bow burst shot is just very good at applying it).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 1, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fedule posted:

TIL if you get afflicted with Plasma, you can dodgeroll the explosion like it's Ninja Gaiden.

You can also valor surge through it, which is hilarious when Aloy gets ragdolled halfway through her dramatic animation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Okay I am stuck in the first part of this game I have gotten to the point where I've killed Hades, and I am now exploring that first cauldron, I've gotten all the way through the Cauldron and I can get to the pole right in front of the door you have to get to, but its to far to jump and I can't the glider doesn't deploy soon enough. I can see with the focus the yellow area I am suppose to grab on to, any tips?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Okay I am stuck in the first part of this game I have gotten to the point where I've killed Hades, and I am now exploring that first cauldron, I've gotten all the way through the Cauldron and I can get to the pole right in front of the door you have to get to, but its to far to jump and I can't the glider doesn't deploy soon enough. I can see with the focus the yellow area I am suppose to grab on to, any tips?

can you grapple and pull it, or is there a button to stand on to move it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

If I’m remembering right there’s a pull caster point you’re gliding to, not the platform
Itself.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

General plot question:

I'm (I think?) more than halfway through. I've recovered AETHER & POSEIDON and just have DEMETER left. That quest marker is kind of but not quite all the way in the north west, but it looks like there's still a ton of map that goes further west and southwest. No specific spoilers please, but is the plot ever gonna send me out that way? I'm fine waiting if that's the case but if not I'm gonna go explore the coast before continuing the main questline.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hobo Clown posted:

General plot question:

I'm (I think?) more than halfway through. I've recovered AETHER & POSEIDON and just have DEMETER left. That quest marker is kind of but not quite all the way in the north west, but it looks like there's still a ton of map that goes further west and southwest. No specific spoilers please, but is the plot ever gonna send me out that way? I'm fine waiting if that's the case but if not I'm gonna go explore the coast before continuing the main questline.

Yeah the main story will send you both directions, I think you literally can’t get much further west at a certain point, but I think you can explore the southwest of the main continent without any issues, there is some stuff that I don’t think is locked behind anything

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I got past the jumping part but now I'm in this AT the fight where the guy is invulnerable and you have to shoot couplings and its an annoying fight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If that part gets too tricky remember you can set concentration time to be infinite.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You knock machines down with charged R2 power attacks, R1 ->.R2 Jump offs (hold R1 while falling, then release to do a halfmoon, then R2 again to immediately jump, etc) and Resonator blasts. The R1, pause, spam R1 is for stunned stuff. The other melee is for humans mainly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so I've got to the beginning of the quest having completed Deaths Door, opening up the Dying Lands, having not went to Plainsong yet Holy poo poo there's another Elisabeth and weird future people. Definitely intrigued by this plot developement.

I think I'mma gently caress around a bit because I need better gear and the new mission levels are all 15 and I am level 13. Hopefully some quests open up in plainsong now.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 1, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Help I am also stuck on a jumping thing

I'm in this one cave, it's here;

There's a climbable shaft in here;

and, like, it's busted. When you get to the narrow point a little ways up, Aloy just... won't climb up. She'll climb to whatever side, she'll do some ridiculous IK backflips to the opposite wall, she'll do literally anything except just climb straight up. How the gently caress do you climb up here.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you can trade them plus shards for certain animal bits used in pouch crafting.

i learned this, have been saving up pristine bits ever since, and haven't used them once because using the job system to find a hunting site is honestly easier usually

any quest that involves toppling a tree is cursed. idk why they made something where an object that looks like every other object of its type not highlighted to gently caress in the focus. an innocuous diamond does not make for a good indicator. i have wandered around for a minute for like all 4 of them

was very amused that Boomer's super cool weapon was... a slicer gauntlet. with acid. no explosives. what the hell Boomer, you had one job

drat, found a bunch so far that i have sold. A bit of an oversight that they state you can only sell for shards. Machine/processing blocks(?) can also be traded but they write as much.

Have been sleeping on the new non-bow projectile weapons, any faves? Will be trying shredder and spikecaster first, they look cool.

Im more or less mid-game or early midgame so soon time to shop up for purples. I do wish the options for same weapon type in a tier were reduced for the sake of my indecision, until the legendary tier narrows it down. In HZD the choices were clearer which i kind of miss. Mileage may vary but what mid-game purple weapons of each category would you vouch for?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 2, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Found a Side quest that was level 15 , but I did it anyway and ended up facing my very first Snapjaw, which after banging my head against trying to kill it for a while I ended up killing it with some rocks, which was cool and good

I'm now level 14, I really need better weapons or at least weapons that offer fire and electricity or something because drat all these robots are vulnerable to fire and electricity and i only got acid.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Man in cauldron IOTA the rollerback was a PITA, together with sunwing the toughest machines so far. Spikesnouts though are fun because of all their explodable parts that make my brain tingle. But the hidden MVP where the two apex burrowers who knocked me twice off the platform and falling to death. But drat was it rad elevating out of the cauldron on a tallneck!

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Falukorv posted:

Man in cauldron IOTA the rollerback was a PITA, together with sunwing the toughest machines so far. Spikesnouts though are fun because of all their explodable parts that make my brain tingle. But the hidden MVP where the two apex burrowers who knocked me twice off the platform and falling to death

Drill spikes are your second-best friend for anything that needs tearing off next to tearblast arrows. Especially if you put a knockdown weave on them, because that will proc on its own and randomly knock machines rear end-over-tea-kettle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is the spike thrower worth it? Because seriously I been using it at level 1 and it doesn't really good any damage. It's also super loving slow and difficult to use.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hollismason posted:

Is the spike thrower worth it? Because seriously I been using it at level 1 and it doesn't really good any damage. It's also super loving slow and difficult to use.

it does a lot more damage than you think especially if you place it in a good spot

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The spike throwers are probably the best weapons in the game for pure DPS. The only way I could see them being underwhelming is if you're not charging them fully and hitting armor so they just bounce off.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 2, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I slept on it for a long time but it essentially became my “this thing needs to die NOW” option and pretty much was my go-to for bosses. It’s INSANELY strong fully charged. I think it was the hunting ground merchant spike thrower I ended up using.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also you can get a weapon skill that turns them into a rocket

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait you have to charge it? Maybe I'm using it wrong because it only does like 20 damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah if you charge it it sticks and keeps doing damage until it explodes for one last burst

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Wait you have to charge it? Maybe I'm using it wrong because it only does like 20 damage.

The one you get from a certain pyromaniac should be doing 90 at minimum, with the base impact of 20 + the explosive damage of 70.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh maybe I'm not paying attention to the damage or something I'll try it out some more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

Go do the sidequest that gets you Boomer's Prototype Spike Thrower in Chainscrape. It's an insanely-powerful early weapon that'll see you through a good portion of the game.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got to the point in the game where you can do the arena and man I have run into so many bugs there. Sometimes after the fight, it'll get stuck on a black screen with the crowd noise still playing and you have to reload a save to get out it, sometimes the machines' models don't load except for the glowing bits (you can still scan and tag them) until you kill them and they become a corpse, smoke bombs straight up don't work (Aloy does the throwing down a smoke bomb animation but it doesn't create a smoke cloud or consume a charge, even when you're standing still and not getting hit by anything), whenever you use a trap there's a 50% chance it doesn't get set (again, she does the trap animation but it just doesn't get put down). I like this game a lot but all these accumulated bugs are starting to affect my enjoyment of it. Just like the time when I couldn't use melee attacks anymore, restarting the game or PS5 doesn't fix it and I really don't feel like deleting and reinstalling the game again, especially when it didn't fix the melee issue last time either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I know there's a spike thrower that has no special features whatsoever. That one might suck but I wouldn't know cause I literally never threw a normal spike for the whole game. You want explosive spikes, or drill spikes, or maybe elemental spikes (though I think there's usually better options for applying elements).