Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the disco elysium setting's tie-in to kentucky route zero is really neat too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

let people enjoy things goes both ways.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm enjoying elden ring and will probably also play some stardew valley during lunch.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Elden Ring looks really cool but I don't understand why anyone plays brand new games anymore. It seems like every PC title with graphics better than the SNES era comes out a buggy mess for the first few months.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the answer is consoles.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

the disco elysium setting's tie-in to kentucky route zero is really neat too

i dont think i picked up on that, im on day 2 of disco elysium and realized i didnt finish act 5 of kr0

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

finally read through all the big steam deck reviews and I guess I'm glad my res is for Q2. still not sure I would follow through with it. when I made the res I was hoping I'd have a new job by now and a little more discretionary spending fliff. but I don't and the markets are awful so my natural impulse is to not spend on a new gadget I don't really need

I'm probably in the right niche for it as I don't have a decent desktop pc, pc laptop or a Nintendo switch. I also have a decent (600+ title) steam library, and big dumb hands that would probably fit well with the form factor/controls. but beta testing hundreds of dollary doos worth of new hardware/software and fussing with settings just to have a 7" 1280x800 ips screen with games mostly not optimized for readability doesn't seem wise. leaving aside the thing's fan noise which seems rough

despite having "just" 1080p tv for now I think I'll instead try to score a digital edition ps5 (w/o scalper tax) to upgrade from my ps4 slim instead. big ups to vintersorg for being a good canadian friendo and helping me get on the right discord channels to do so (hopefully before the sd res comes up)

in the meantime disco elysium on my m1 mba is extremely needs suiting. what a great game

I wanna love the steam deck, but after seeing one in person, the formfactor is a show stopper for me. It's big enough that I'd need a backpack or bag to carry it, and it comes in at 1.47lbs, well beyond the already-too-heavy-for-comfort 1.01lbs and 1.37lbs of my gpd win 2 and onegx1 pro respectively.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm more of an animal crossing guy but dipping my toe in games with an unfair difficulty curve

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

Elden Ring looks really cool but I don't understand why anyone plays brand new games anymore. It seems like every PC title with graphics better than the SNES era comes out a buggy mess for the first few months.

elden ring doesn't look like a buggy mess if you play it on a system it was designed for (ps5 or whatever the new xbox is called)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Series X Xbox (or sexxbox for short)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

x box edition in solid gold

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im sitting here on a 1070gtx and a i5 6600k and having a fuckin blast. nerds are being insane about this game being """"unplayable"""" but all the hiccups i get are clearly cache related and happen in the overworld once in a while.

honestly its funny as hell to me that people with top of the line rigs are getting the same framerate as me. this game is fun as hell and im really happy it runs so well on my computer!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lysidas posted:

i dont think i picked up on that, im on day 2 of disco elysium and realized i didnt finish act 5 of kr0
talk to Joyce to the northwest of your starting area (if you haven't already) and then to the pale rider lady south of the traffic jam and you'll eventually hit a thought with the latter that just is KR0. it puts a neat context to the pale

e: it's an internalizable thought, but not a particularly good one. the convo is worth it though as it can give you + modifiers to other convos

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 2, 2022

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I wanna love the steam deck, but after seeing one in person, the formfactor is a show stopper for me. It's big enough that I'd need a backpack or bag to carry it, and it comes in at 1.47lbs, well beyond the already-too-heavy-for-comfort 1.01lbs and 1.37lbs of my gpd win 2 and onegx1 pro respectively.
I haven't seen one in person but doing so would probably help a bit since I've never even held the steam controller. size/weight and battery wise the deck seems pretty un-portable yeah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'll admit I should also probably at some point try a Nintendo switch hands-on, but it really seems like it would be too small for me as-is. maybe when my kid is a bit older and there's any reason at all I'd be willing to put up with a weird little half controller for local multiplayer, and/or want to play it docked

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

I'll admit I should also probably at some point try a Nintendo switch hands-on, but it really seems like it would be too small for me as-is. maybe when my kid is a bit older and there's any reason at all I'd be willing to put up with a weird little half controller for local multiplayer, and/or want to play it docked

as great as the switch is the handheld ergonomics are hosed if your not kid-sized. even the famously third-party-controller averse imp zone recommends this thing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve tried the hori joy cons and I prefer the satisfye zengrips

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the horis just don’t have a lot of meat to fill up my hands. but also my hands are Large

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

im sitting here on a 1070gtx and a i5 6600k and having a fuckin blast. nerds are being insane about this game being """"unplayable"""" but all the hiccups i get are clearly cache related and happen in the overworld once in a while.

honestly its funny as hell to me that people with top of the line rigs are getting the same framerate as me. this game is fun as hell and im really happy it runs so well on my computer!

if you enjoy your compromised experience, who are we to say your wrong?

framerate isn't really great on ps5 either, but it's not stuttering to compile shaders or anything

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my hands are not large and i really like my satisfye grip. it's a must-have for me to actually play the dang thing

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ryzen desktop mobo bit the dust, so I decided to lash a jet engine to a lawn mower with some twine

rx5700xt in a tb3 enclosure hanging off an i7-1160G7 handheld (onegx1 pro) running linux for maximum jamesing self loathing

ngl, I'm kinda impressed how well it works

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I, too, enjoy having my hands filled with meat

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

akadajet posted:

if you enjoy your compromised experience, who are we to say your wrong?

framerate isn't really great on ps5 either, but it's not stuttering to compile shaders or anything

yeah i agree its just annoying to hear nerd shrieking about how elden ring is “literally unplayable” like ok its not exactly optimized but im on entry level hardware and its doing fine for me. sure im not playing on 4k maximum quality graphics but like, ok?

forza horizon 5 on this rig was literally unplayable. horizon 4 ran like a dream but 5 had stutters and frame drops galore during large turns making actual racing pretty difficult so i dropped it until i upgrade the motherboard and cpu hopefully soon. im otherwise very impressed at what my cpu’s been able to handle

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

time to close this thread and direct people back to the actual games subforum

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

forza 5 on my rig was actually literally unplayable last time I tried. It wouldn't use the GPU at all when in the foreground. put it in the background though and it ran fine except you can't actually play it like that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have an og xbone and have had no issues with elden ring performance

I feel pretty good about having paid $500 for a thing almost a decade ago and still playing current games on it

checkmate pc gamers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

time to close this thread and direct people back to the actual games subforum

no

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

as great as the switch is the handheld ergonomics are hosed if your not kid-sized. even the famously third-party-controller averse imp zone recommends this thing

bleak. like, madcatz bleak

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

purely hypothetical but is a switch lite any better ergonomically or w/e for normal adult hands? I feel like it's hard to get any switch opinion that isn't absolutely poisoned by defend your purchase mindset. except maybe here

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

purely hypothetical but is a switch lite any better ergonomically or w/e for normal adult hands? I feel like it's hard to get any switch opinion that isn't absolutely poisoned by defend your purchase mindset. except maybe here

i dont see how it possibly could be, its the same form factor shrunk down

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

one thing i'll say in defense of switch portable ergonomics is if you can set the screen up somewhere you can hold the controllers in a completely neutral arm position so they don't mess up your wrists, its just as good if not better than a traditional controller in that aspect

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the switch lite is awful for ergonomics if you have adult hands. probably contributed to my current rsi trouble until I got the grips

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
might start over as a str guy instead of dex since i forget that my dex runs are always on my second play through

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Switch is so bulky - I don't get the hype for it as a portable system. Looks awkward. Maybe good for playing at your desk or maybe on a plane? I dunno.

Mine stays docked 99.9% of the time. If you're gonna go portable though get the OLED version.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

portables really stopped being portable some time ago. even the ds pushed the limit on pocketability

I want a modern gba sp, with the modern "standard" controls (think xbox/ps), maybe using low profile analog sticks to keep it in a clamshell

I can dream, right?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the switch's portability excels in that i can play it on the couch with little jones while ms jones watches this old house or whatever, or that LJ and i can chill in his room with it, or take it to my office, or whatever. we basically never play docked, and it also basically never leaves the house

it's nice that i could take it on a plane or to a hotel room, but traveling with video game poo poo is more annoyance than it's worth generally. the only scenario where "oh my god im so glad we could take the switch to the hotel with us" would outweigh the annoyance of keeping up with the dang thing is an evacuation or similar where any trappings of home would have tremendous psychological benefits for little jones

i enjoy video games, but the idea of really really caring about taking them on vacation with me is a bit much

the switch is too big to bring with you on a daily train commute, at least if you include the satisfye grip. the vita was a good size for that though. but in most cases i'd rather read on the train than play video games, video games would only become relevant on a long (too long for a commute) train ride, and then we're back at the vacation "i'd rather not have to bring it with me, no matter how small" thing.

idk if the switch lite would work well for that, but frankly the way the joycons self destruct after not-that-much use i wouldn't wanna pay for a switch lite anyway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i use the switch sometimes when commuting

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

the switch's portability excels in that i can play it on the couch with little jones while ms jones watches this old house or whatever, or that LJ and i can chill in his room with it, or take it to my office, or whatever. we basically never play docked, and it also basically never leaves the house
yeah, for me the value prop of the steam deck is having it on the couch with the family around. but the fan noise is a bit of an obstacle to that. hard to say unless i took delivery of one and i expect the return policy isn't great

if i have to hook up a controller to a switch (tabletop) i might as well use a ps4/5 controller via bluetooth to my iphone (on a stand) for certain ios games or to my macbook for certain steam games

i really don't see using a switch or deck docked, if i have the time/solitude for that i would use the ps4 (potentially ps5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it's funny to me how many switch games perform worse while docked than handheld