Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I got summoned to a boss fight in that church, and the tortoise pope was nowhere to be seen. This suggests the summoning player did something terrible.

Fear not, the boss is there at night and the pope during the day. A timeshare, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just as a side note, there is a ledge just to the right of tortoise pope that is a series of exactly player-height stone steps, practically BEGGING that you try to make the running jump and stand on his back.

Sadly, you slide right off and he goes 'oof!' :sigh:

edit: But he doesn't take offense to your efforts!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Ever since watching a Shadow Warrior 2013 LP years ago, I've had Shadow Warrior 2 on my steam wishlist since. The other day, it dropped to $5, so I thought "why not? I'll give it a shot". It has a really fun and impressive first level, where you use your combination of melee and weapons to plough through an ancient temple infested with demons, and there's neat secrets to find.

Then, you finish that, and you're dumped into a hub that makes you do boring kill quests in a procedurally generated map Borderlands-style and upgrade guns with a million +0.5% damage modifiers and damage types and gently caress all this grindy horseshit.

So I bought Shadow Warrior 2013 that was also on sale. And boy, is it refreshing and fun to play a dedicated, level-based first person shooter/slicer that has secrets to look for, an upgrade tree that doesn't weight gameplay difficulty on grinding out everything, revels in switching up the combat with a variety of enemy types, and isn't a miserable Game-as-a-Service designed to make you play the same map generator poo poo over and over to unlock tiny incremental stat increases.

It's a sorry indictment on the landscape of video games in 2022 that I can play this mindless early 2010s franchise reboot and not have to worry about scouring it for every piece of content to make all my bars read maximum, and if I want I can choose between having guided rockets or a crossbow that shoots remote-triggered explosive bolts, and neither of these choices feel mandatory, but instead are purely up to me to pick based on what sounds fun.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Elden Ring the first "boss" in the tutorial cave going down in two hits made me laugh whats less funny is it runs like complete dogshit on my xbone, borderline unplayable at probably 15 fps at max.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Biplane posted:

Elden Ring the first "boss" in the tutorial cave going down in two hits made me laugh whats less funny is it runs like complete dogshit on my xbone, borderline unplayable at probably 15 fps at max.

lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wow that is p bad. Honestly would rather have dated graphics in a good art style than all the raytracing bullshit in the world if the latter comes with performance hitches.

But then IMO graphics haven't noticeably improved since like Witcher 3. You can make it look realer all you want - it just blurs together once it hits the benchmark of 'looks good' to me

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Brain In A Jar posted:

Ever since watching a Shadow Warrior 2013 LP years ago, I've had Shadow Warrior 2 on my steam wishlist since. The other day, it dropped to $5, so I thought "why not? I'll give it a shot". It has a really fun and impressive first level, where you use your combination of melee and weapons to plough through an ancient temple infested with demons, and there's neat secrets to find.

Then, you finish that, and you're dumped into a hub that makes you do boring kill quests in a procedurally generated map Borderlands-style and upgrade guns with a million +0.5% damage modifiers and damage types and gently caress all this grindy horseshit.

So I bought Shadow Warrior 2013 that was also on sale. And boy, is it refreshing and fun to play a dedicated, level-based first person shooter/slicer that has secrets to look for, an upgrade tree that doesn't weight gameplay difficulty on grinding out everything, revels in switching up the combat with a variety of enemy types, and isn't a miserable Game-as-a-Service designed to make you play the same map generator poo poo over and over to unlock tiny incremental stat increases.

It's a sorry indictment on the landscape of video games in 2022 that I can play this mindless early 2010s franchise reboot and not have to worry about scouring it for every piece of content to make all my bars read maximum, and if I want I can choose between having guided rockets or a crossbow that shoots remote-triggered explosive bolts, and neither of these choices feel mandatory, but instead are purely up to me to pick based on what sounds fun.

i feel like you're specifically subtweeting doom eternal here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like there's a trend where even faithful modern remakes/reboots of classic games that actually keep the gameplay style and trappings and get good reception and sales are followed up by the devs (or more likely publisher) going 'Phew, now we got THAT poo poo out of the way...' and make a followup they jam straight full of all the modern games industry template poo poo no one asks for that adds nothing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like there's a trend where even faithful modern remakes/reboots of classic games that actually keep the gameplay style and trappings and get good reception and sales are followed up by the devs (or more likely publisher) going 'Phew, now we got THAT poo poo out of the way...' and make a followup they jam straight full of all the modern games industry template poo poo no one asks for that adds nothing.

moonmazed posted:

i feel like you're specifically subtweeting doom eternal here

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strategic Tea posted:

Wow that is p bad. Honestly would rather have dated graphics in a good art style than all the raytracing bullshit in the world if the latter comes with performance hitches.

But then IMO graphics haven't noticeably improved since like Witcher 3. You can make it look realer all you want - it just blurs together once it hits the benchmark of 'looks good' to me

For the real kicker: Elden Ring isn't actually a graphical trailblazer. It looks good, but if you play it on the PS5 rather than PS4 it just looks good in more resolution or frames per second. It mostly looks good because From Software are actually really good at art direction. It's not struggling because it's trying to be as pretty as possible, it's struggling for tech reasons (and at least on PC, 'bad port' reasons).

I started playing Sekiro yesterday, and I'm baffled at how well it's running. Like, it is buttery smooth at my PC's max resolution, how did a port by the same company three years after end up so much worse?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The newer GTA games and Red Dead Redemption 2 also have alternate dialogue for a lot of their missions, in case you die and have to restart a mission so you're not stuck sitting through the same exact conversation again. (It's generally the same general conversation, but different dialogue to it)

Speaking of RDR 2's dialog, I noticed that in conversations on horseback, there's two sets of dialog: one for where the speakers are somewhat close to each other, and one where they are further away. I think the lines are the same, but one sounds "shoutier" than the other. I've wondered if these conversations were recorded twice, because when they're further apart, the dialog is not just louder, but the timbre of the voices change as they are shouting more, too. I wonder if modern voice filters are advanced enough to produce that effect from a single piece of recorded dialog, or whether it's two separate recordings.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Caufman posted:

Speaking of RDR 2's dialog, I noticed that in conversations on horseback, there's two sets of dialog: one for where the speakers are somewhat close to each other, and one where they are further away. I think the lines are the same, but one sounds "shoutier" than the other. I've wondered if these conversations were recorded twice, because when they're further apart, the dialog is not just louder, but the timbre of the voices change as they are shouting more, too. I wonder if modern voice filters are advanced enough to produce that effect from a single piece of recorded dialog, or whether it's two separate recordings.

For the amount of lines in the game, I imagine it's probably cheaper to just have them perform the voices twice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RillAkBea posted:

For the amount of lines in the game, I imagine it's probably cheaper to just have them perform the voices twice.

Which they're likely to be doing anyway to get multiple takes and see what works best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the game files for Max Payne 3 there are over 20 subfolders of different heaving sweaty states of breath or lack thereof for Max Payne. Half of them for in, half for out, with the script tags therein being named after increasing levels of intensity or health and so on. There have got to be minutes of just him breathing a slightly different way than last time. Rockstar absolutely keeps and uses alt takes like that all the time.

edit: In the game files bullet time is called "adrenaline" and there is an entire little ecosystem set up for causing Max to make noise based around it. You gain adrenaline when you are shot at, when Max shoots an enemy, when an enemy hits Max, or when you get a kill. There are also lots of tiny little things that give you some like leaving cover (so you can enter bullet time when you pop out). Adrenaline being in effect gives you bullet time slowly and ALSO ramps up the intensity of the music and the, again, heaving sweaty noises of the man himself. There are several layers to each chapter's soundtrack not specifically for instruments but rhythm lines, which add on top of one another to build to a complete song as adrenaline is added. Environmental effects like rain and wind sounds also get quieter when adrenaline is high, which is always because Max Payne 3 is a linear story based game and all, but it's still neat.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Mar 1, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CJacobs posted:

In the game files for Max Payne 3 there are over 20 subfolders of different heaving sweaty states of breath or lack thereof for Max Payne. Half of them for in, half for out, with the script tags therein being named after increasing levels of intensity or health and so on. There have got to be minutes of just him breathing a slightly different way than last time. Rockstar absolutely keeps and uses alt takes like that all the time.

Funny thing is that kind of thing is absolutely useful in games, giving immediately feedback on your status without having to constantly check the bars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that kind of thing is absolutely useful in games, giving immediately feedback on your status without having to constantly check the bars.

Straight up, Max looking like a rotten tomato riddled with holes at the end of each chapter may LOOK silly but it's one of the best visual indicators of damage I've seen in a game. You never need to look at the health indicator in Max Payne 3 because the dude himself reflects how close you are to death. When you use painkillers to heal, some of the splat wounds on Max go away! Rockstar are experts at diegetic stuff like that, ever since circa GTA 4 imo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

For the real kicker: Elden Ring isn't actually a graphical trailblazer. It looks good, but if you play it on the PS5 rather than PS4 it just looks good in more resolution or frames per second. It mostly looks good because From Software are actually really good at art direction. It's not struggling because it's trying to be as pretty as possible, it's struggling for tech reasons (and at least on PC, 'bad port' reasons).

I started playing Sekiro yesterday, and I'm baffled at how well it's running. Like, it is buttery smooth at my PC's max resolution, how did a port by the same company three years after end up so much worse?

this belongs more in the other thread, but my guess is they’re using the same engine or a lot of the same architecture that they’ve used for previous souls games and it just doesn’t scale well to the amount of playable terrain and creatures it needs to simulate at once with new dynamic weather and lighting, as opposed to static environments within more constrained level spaces which the player can only enter from a couple predefined entrances so it’s easier to load them dynamically. The game’s visuals are attractive for sure but not exactly next gen (it’s no horizon or returnal) so it’s probably struggling with architecture that wasn’t designed to do what elden ring does. I also suspect the easy anticheat on pc is dragging performance through the mud.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

I saw Shadow Warrior 3 in the Steam store the other day but didn't look at it for more than half a second since I've got plenty of FPS games going on right now, any insight on if it's improved over 2 or gotten worse?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

thecluckmeme posted:

I saw Shadow Warrior 3 in the Steam store the other day but didn't look at it for more than half a second since I've got plenty of FPS games going on right now, any insight on if it's improved over 2 or gotten worse?

They switched the style again, so now it really is a knockoff Doom Eternal. Low ammo limits, which you refill by doing melee attacks, charge up your finisher meter so you can do gore kills which grant powerups based on the type of enemy you kill, lots of trivial platforming etc. etc. It's probably the worst of the modern Shadow Warrior games, as far as the hour I've spent goes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hel posted:

They switched the style again, so now it really is a knockoff Doom Eternal. Low ammo limits, which you refill by doing melee attacks, charge up your finisher meter so you can do gore kills which grant powerups based on the type of enemy you kill, lots of trivial platforming etc. etc. It's probably the worst of the modern Shadow Warrior games, as far as the hour I've spent goes.

Aw, that's lame. I didn't really need mechanic-based encouragement to use my katana in a shadow warrior game.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

CJacobs posted:

Max Payne 3

Nowhere near as impressive, but playing through on Hard, I appreciated that the game silently gives you an extra bottle of painkillers if you die repeatedly in a section

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Due to the wasteland of games that is 2022 ( i don't give a gently caress about dark souls). I decided to go back and play Assassins Creed 4 which I remembered enjoying.

Its still loving great. Sneaking up and just loving rocket kicking people off roofs never gets old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't remember a whole lot of roofs in Black Flag.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Or kicking, as I recall. Did you accidentally play Odyssey?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Nope definitely in the Caribbean and there are cannons and stuff. Maybe you never just rushed gunners on roofs with bare hands?

Was odyssey any good? The ones after black flag soured me on AC as a whole so i never tried past the french one.. i think?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the three most recent ones (origins, odyssey, valhalla) are much more rpg-like than before with skill trees and quests and equipment, and they're worth giving a shot if you (rightfully imo) thought the games between those and black flag were kinda dull and samey. i'd say odyssey is the best of the three based on how great a playable character Kassandra is, but the other two are still good

honestly i'd argue Kassandra is the best protagonist in the series after Ezio

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Odyssey is maybe my favorite game ever. It plays like they took all the lessons from Black Flag and polished everything. The world is cohesive in a way Black Flag could only dream of, the characters are colorful and interesting, Kassandra is a dreamboat, and there isn't a single eavesdropping mission!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kassandra is the better character but Origins' Egyptian setting is so dang cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone who liked Bayek the actor who played him (Abubakar Salim) is one of the main characters on the TV show Raised by Wolves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Philippe posted:

Odyssey is maybe my favorite game ever. It plays like they took all the lessons from Black Flag and polished everything. The world is cohesive in a way Black Flag could only dream of, the characters are colorful and interesting, Kassandra is a dreamboat, and there isn't a single eavesdropping mission!

There is at least one mission where Kassandra has to eavesdrop but the tradeoff is that you get to dress her up in a chiton.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ZeusCannon posted:

Was odyssey any good? The ones after black flag soured me on AC as a whole so i never tried past the french one.. i think?

Like folks are saying, Odyssey & Kassandra are both great. Another selling point is that you can get a sparta kick as one of your core moves, and start punting people off cliffs and stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Elden Ring gameplay spoilers: so the Arcane stat everyone thought was just Luck with a fancy name is perhaps, unsurprisingly in retrospect, the stat that scales with Blood damage. Also, holy poo poo there’s just straight up blood elemental damage in the form of Bloodborne Lady Maria blood slash attacks. I’m probably not gonna use it my first playthrough but it’s cool that I can just do sick bloodborne blood slashes.

Also they made the grass crest shield actually good defensively and a dog shell, that’s just neat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm enjoying watching people finding all the weird weapons.

Like the shield with a canon hidden inside it. Or the ship's anchor. Or the giant inflatable finger that you literally flick at people.

EDIT: It wouldn't be fair not to link it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHptt-kHPg

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:18 on Mar 2, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There is at least one mission where Kassandra has to eavesdrop but the tradeoff is that you get to dress her up in a chiton.

That mission also have her having reciting poetry while drunk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loved AC:Syndicate the most of the series. Getting hypnotized was one of the best 'WTF just happened?' moments.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
dogs have shells now?!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like the shield with a canon hidden inside it. Or the ship's anchor. Or the giant inflatable finger that you literally flick at people.

Just like my Japanese magic pirate animes…

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

moonmazed posted:

dogs have shells now?!

From when they hatch

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There were many meetings about making this not look so penisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

moonmazed posted:

dogs have shells now?!

Yes, obviously?

You can clearly see the dog's shell right there.