Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's funny to me how many switch games perform worse while docked than handheld
which ones? the fact that any do is... pretty bewildering from what i know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

botw does in my experience

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

which ones? the fact that any do is... pretty bewildering from what i know about it

i suspect it's because some games do a higher resolution docked, which then ends up causing lowered performance directly or contributing to overheating (which then causes lowered performance).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

haven’t tried disco elysium handheld but its docked performance is complete trash

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i suspect it's because some games do a higher resolution docked, which then ends up causing lowered performance directly or contributing to overheating (which then causes lowered performance).

arguably all games have at least slightly more overhead when docked than handheld -- even if the game is internally rendered at 720p it gets scaled to 1080p before going out hdmi

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

breath of the wild is the first one that comes to mind. i can't think of many others that i've played but iirc it also happens in the DOOM ports and other graphically demanding games

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

ha. gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

playing :doom: with a gamepad is completely missing the point anyway so who gives a poo poo if the performance is crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

wonderful 101 supposedly does as well, again by trying to render at higher res when docked. but it didn't exactly perform perfectly on wii u either

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elden ring is loving sick, it keeps surprising and impressing me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every time i pick up a switch it feels like the controllers are gonna snap off the sides. they're so flimsy and awful. nintendo should just port everything to steam (or really just botw since thats the only switch game anyone cares about)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i was surprised to find that astral chain is really solid

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jenny Agutter posted:

i was surprised to find that astral chain is really solid

platinum good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apparently in question thanks to babylons fall :negative:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

babylons fall is so bad they buried it by releasing same day as elden ring lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jenny Agutter posted:

elden ring is loving sick, it keeps surprising and impressing me

today I stabbed a bunch of crabs, went in some tunnels and did like 10 rounds of jolly cooperation to kill a big angry troll because I sucked too much to manage it myself

after all that I got like 500 souls and a medal I can't use, but I could at least up my stats which did ??? To some numbers that mean ???

then I got absolutely rekt by a dragon

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Killed a second lord today. Feels good to eat the rich

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I killed a big lady and took her staff, now I can make my pointy things glow blue

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bump_fn posted:

babylons fall is so bad they buried it by releasing same day as elden ring lol

okay tbf they have had some misses recently and/or historically

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

The Fool posted:

I killed a big lady and took her staff, now I can make my pointy things glow blue

did this today

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
traditionally platinum's in-house games are good and licensed games are crap. this is the first in-house game that's been crap

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

talk to Joyce to the northwest of your starting area (if you haven't already) and then to the pale rider lady south of the traffic jam and you'll eventually hit a thought with the latter that just is KR0. it puts a neat context to the pale

e: it's an internalizable thought, but not a particularly good one. the convo is worth it though as it can give you + modifiers to other convos

ah, thanks, is it lonesome long way home? that was like the second thought that i internalized, and i remember thinking it was similar in tone to kr0 but it didnt jump out at me as being very related

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i started playing Dark Souls last night, my first time playing it or any Souls game. i can confirm the rumours are true: it's very hard! i've found myself getting very frustrated at times but that is offset by feeling of accomplishment when i beat a hard area/boss. so far i've only done the Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon, it's good stuff. i'll prolly get round to Elden Ring in a few years once i've done all the other Souls lol

update: still playing DS1, so far ive beaten Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon and Moonlight Butterfly. it's been very rewarding bouncing off hard stuff only to come back later and whomp it, gives an awesome feeling of progression. hilariously i didn't realise that you can sprint and jump until like 30 hours in :lol:. also the moments where the game stomps me are often quite amusing such that it's not off-putting, at least not until the third/fourth/fifth/nth time it happens. for example, when i recently ran into Havel:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1499070777437868034

gotta say though, everyone posting about Elden Ring, that game sounds really loving good. like they got the best bits of all the souls games and crammed them into an awesome new game. i kinda wanna see DS1 through to the end but god drat am i tempted!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the thing that's great about dark souls is it only remains frustrating when you engage it as you would most other games. eventually everyone hits a "click" moment where suddenly you "get" the rules that dark souls plays by and doesn't necessarily become easier but definitely becomes less frustrating. it's also a game that genuinely forces you to become better at it, where skill is the most important aspect. you can genuinely beat the entire game with your starting equipment and never leveling up. you won't notice your skills increasing because the game will be very good at placing gradually harder challenges in your path, but eventually you'll backtrack to an older area and absolutely *wipe out* enemies that used to be almost impossible for you. you'll have better equipment and higher stats, of course, but the real reason you're cutting through them like paper is because you genuinely got much better at the game. that's when most people become the raving fans you see across the internet

not sure whether i've just not played enough or that i just completely suck at the game but so far ~33 hours in the only times ive made significant progress have been due to better stats and gear. e.g. Great Stone Knights in Darkroot Garden were destroying me, then i got the Drake Sword and blammo i can murderise them. also e.g. Moonlight Butterfly was giving me some grief until i realised i had the Crest Shield with 80% magic damage reduction which wholly carried me through the fight.

like i guess i feel that im getting more familiar with the mechanics and their nuances but i certainly don't feel like im getting mechanically better. every time an enemy closes on me i still panic and roll in every direction till my stamina runs out lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pile Of Garbage posted:

update: still playing DS1, so far ive beaten Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon and Moonlight Butterfly. it's been very rewarding bouncing off hard stuff only to come back later and whomp it, gives an awesome feeling of progression. hilariously i didn't realise that you can sprint and jump until like 30 hours in :lol:. also the moments where the game stomps me are often quite amusing such that it's not off-putting, at least not until the third/fourth/fifth/nth time it happens. for example, when i recently ran into Havel:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1499070777437868034

gotta say though, everyone posting about Elden Ring, that game sounds really loving good. like they got the best bits of all the souls games and crammed them into an awesome new game. i kinda wanna see DS1 through to the end but god drat am i tempted!

not sure whether i've just not played enough or that i just completely suck at the game but so far ~33 hours in the only times ive made significant progress have been due to better stats and gear. e.g. Great Stone Knights in Darkroot Garden were destroying me, then i got the Drake Sword and blammo i can murderise them. also e.g. Moonlight Butterfly was giving me some grief until i realised i had the Crest Shield with 80% magic damage reduction which wholly carried me through the fight.

like i guess i feel that im getting more familiar with the mechanics and their nuances but i certainly don't feel like im getting mechanically better. every time an enemy closes on me i still panic and roll in every direction till my stamina runs out lol

if you restarted right now i guarantee you you'd get back to darkroot garden in like 8 hours tho so thats a cool thing.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

theres a real lovely boss coming up and most people i know have the pop shortly after

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also since youre in darkroot theres a shield around there somewhere that gives you some insane stamina regen, even if its on your back so you should go poke around and see if you can find it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

don't forget your summons too! :)

Did you summon for the butterfly? there's a mage at the bottom of the tower that just obliterates the boss.

make sure you're in human form

but yeah, once you beat DS 1 and the amazing DLC come over to Elden Ring, you'll poo poo your pants it's so loving good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Casual Encountess posted:

if you restarted right now i guarantee you you'd get back to darkroot garden in like 8 hours tho so thats a cool thing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EDIT: correction, i've beaten Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyle and Moonlight Butterfly

theres a real lovely boss coming up and most people i know have the pop shortly after

Capra Demon? i've been dreading that fight

also since youre in darkroot theres a shield around there somewhere that gives you some insane stamina regen, even if its on your back so you should go poke around and see if you can find it

yeah got that one, Grass Crest Shield good poo poo!

Vintersorg posted:

don't forget your summons too! :)

Did you summon for the butterfly? there's a mage at the bottom of the tower that just obliterates the boss.

make sure you're in human form

but yeah, once you beat DS 1 and the amazing DLC come over to Elden Ring, you'll poo poo your pants it's so loving good

i summoned for Bell Gargoyle, got both Lautrec and Solaire in the mix made the fight a joke :P for Moonlight Butterfly i relied on the Crest Shield which has 80% magic resist (got it from going back to the North Undead Asylum and murdering the NPC there), that made the fight a cinch

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think there's summons for the Taurus Demon - you may be thinking of something else. The Taurus Demon is the one on the bridge before the dragon that you can cheese by climbing up a ladder and jumping on its head

e: you made an edit lol but glad you beat the gargoyles, the real dark souls starts soon!!!!!

OH HOLY SEN'S FORTRESS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's pretty good how both Taurus and Capra subtly nudge the player in the direction of the correct strategy.

For Taurus you walk in to an empty rampart and then there's some assholes just up a ladder shooting arrows at you, so you climb up and deal with them. Then Taurus shows up and you're all set up for a plunging attack right there. You probably learned about plunging attacks from Asylum Demon since the plunge attack in that fight is special-cased to be ludicrously magnetic

For Capra you're proceeding down an alley that gradually gets narrower and narrower and you get attacked by multiple fast enemies that don't give you room to breathe unless you actively reposition around them.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lysidas posted:

ah, thanks, is it lonesome long way home? that was like the second thought that i internalized, and i remember thinking it was similar in tone to kr0 but it didnt jump out at me as being very related
no it's motorway south

also i just finished disco elysium. i think i got a good ending.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

it's pretty good how both Taurus and Capra subtly nudge the player in the direction of the correct strategy.

For Taurus you walk in to an empty rampart and then there's some assholes just up a ladder shooting arrows at you, so you climb up and deal with them. Then Taurus shows up and you're all set up for a plunging attack right there. You probably learned about plunging attacks from Asylum Demon since the plunge attack in that fight is special-cased to be ludicrously magnetic

For Capra you're proceeding down an alley that gradually gets narrower and narrower and you get attacked by multiple fast enemies that don't give you room to breathe unless you actively reposition around them.

i tried plunging attack against Asylum Demon but i didn't know what buttons to press and it didn't work so i just kinda gave up on that mechanic lol. for Taurus Demon i faced em head-on but with the knowledge that they're vulnerable to lightning so Gold Pine Resin aided me big time.

i've only had one encounter with Capra Demon so far which was by accident as i had NFI what was on the other side of that white smokey door thing in Lower Undead Burg (i really hate those loving white smokey doors, there's zero consistency, some lead straight to bosses whilst others just open up the area you're in i hope they rectified that in later souls). anyway i got stomped and lost 4k souls lol. guess i'm going to have to face Capra Demon to progress now unless i try and force my way into the Catacombs...

btw cbf adding spoiler tags the game is a decade old, also pls don't add them for my benefit, idc about spoilers

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Elden Ring is so goddam big holy poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the lesson of the Capra Demon is that you shouldn’t play the game following the critical path at all times, you should wander off and fully explore Darkroot Garden and when you come back to the Capra Demon you’ll be overleveled

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Video Nasty posted:

Elden Ring is so goddam big holy poo poo

yeah every time I reveal a new part of the map I’m astounded at the scale

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i summoned for Bell Gargoyle, got both Lautrec and Solaire in the mix made the fight a joke :P for Moonlight Butterfly i relied on the Crest Shield which has 80% magic resist (got it from going back to the North Undead Asylum and murdering the NPC there), that made the fight a cinch

this is another one of those magical dark souls moments. up to this point the game has just been kicking the poo poo out of you, pulling every dirty trick in the book, just all around rubbing your face in the dirt. and you summon solaire and think alright this guy is gonna get wiped in a single hit or some other bullshit is gonna happen

nope. loving- NOPE

fucker immediately whips A BOLT OF LIGHTNING OUT OF HIS HAND AND STARTS KICKING THAT GARGOYLES rear end

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

praise the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm glad elden ring is bring back the crusader poo poo