Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/NathansPuns/status/1498871397149519880

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nuts and Gum posted:

those chairs look legit. also wanna push some buttons real bad

/hushed tour guide voice: this is the heart of the defence network, so please be very careful and refrain fr-

me:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ellie Mnemonic

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/hushed tour guide voice: this is the heart of the defence network, so please be very careful and refrain fr-

me:

lol

whoever that was passed over fondling that knob :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ellie Mnemonic
:sonia:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol speaking of buttons, I don't remember ever seeing this FS before

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how much do you or do you not love teenage engineering stuff

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

me:

i found myself in one of the back streets of ebay and seriously considering buying a 90s vision mixer just because of the proliferation of buttons, sliders and knobs:

not even have it hooked up to anything, just spend hours pressing buttons and moving sliders, like an adult version of one of those baby toys

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

new tesla feature just dropped: colored safety zones for driving under tractor trailers

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i found myself in one of the back streets of ebay and seriously considering buying a 90s vision mixer just because of the proliferation of buttons, sliders and knobs:

not even have it hooked up to anything, just spend hours pressing buttons and moving sliders, like an adult version of one of those baby toys

lol I remember waaay back visiting the Bradford museum of Film & TV with my College Photography course and they had an old tv studio setup you could toy with, old tech even for the mid-90s - I was playing with the video mixing desk and thinking 'Where do I know this from?, wasn't til years later when it popped back in my head I looked it up and if it wasn't the exact same model then it was a close match to the AV board they used for the Death Star firing console in the original Star Wars.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ellie Mnemonic

woman in the back is like “good for her!”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ellie Mnemonic

Ah, random access mammaries.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

BARONS FABOLOUS PERFORMANCE

https://i.imgur.com/UVsg2oP.mp4

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ah, random access mammaries.

friend and i were talking about computer specs in 1999 or 2000 and his dad popped in with that and it's been echoing in my head ever since

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lmao

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol speaking of buttons, I don't remember ever seeing this FS before

Tag urself, I'm Nancy with an AK

No, I'm Charlie Brown threatening to euthanize Snoopy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
clearly a tommygun op

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:stwoon:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
lol the turbo button was the dumbest thing. like no one understood that you wanted it off instead of on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

lol the turbo button was the dumbest thing. like no one understood that you wanted it off instead of on

much like the post button on your account

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Large Testicles posted:

case manufacturers couldn't even decide which one was supposed to make the light come on

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

I'm sure that the engineers originally proposed it as the "throttle" or "slow" button or something and were immediately overruled by marketing.

The smart response to that would have just been to let them call it turbo and invert the switch logic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sure that the engineers originally proposed it as the "throttle" or "slow" button or something and were immediately overruled by marketing.

The smart response to that would have just been to let them call it turbo and invert the switch logic.

"retard"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just call it "compatibility" because that's exactly what it does

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that doesn’t sell more units

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

haveblue posted:

just call it "compatibility" because that's exactly what it does

it doesn't even do that on most things after the 286. it doesn't slow a 386/486 down all that much, nowhere near enough to actually fix the problem it was meant to solve

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my pc (originally 486sx-25, now dx2-66 via upgrade slot) just has a turbo light thats always on

that reminds me i've been meaning to fix that yellow tint that the front bezel has gotten over the years, anyone have any recommendations?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

that reminds me i've been meaning to fix that yellow tint that the front bezel has gotten over the years, anyone have any recommendations?

i've seen evidence that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright is pretty good but don't know about the long-term impact of it, nobody i know has tried it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Progressive JPEG posted:

my pc (originally 486sx-25, now dx2-66 via upgrade slot) just has a turbo light thats always on

https://www.retr0bright.com/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/neighbours_wifi/status/1499457154243252243

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

i got an op-1 and it always looks plastic in the videos but it's just the right level of solidity to be lightweight and yet also capable of being used in combat

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://youtu.be/0wxc3mKqKTk

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

psiox posted:

i've seen evidence that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright is pretty good but don't know about the long-term impact of it, nobody i know has tried it

The long term impact is a case a lot more brittle than it was previously.

Apologies for the reddit link, but someone delved into the chemistry of it and did a write up there of their findings:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/4pdwhw/my_theory_on_retr0bright/

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

psiox posted:

it works, but doesn't last too long. i did a pc case front with it and 18 months later it was back to how it was before. results depend a lot on the plastic and the amount of yellowing, and whether its back in direct sunlight afterwards, but i would say it's a short-mid term fix only