Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

javascript isn't real and can't hurt you

this was mostly from back in the ie6 days when activex and a plethora of other security holes meant that real code was trivial to execute on systems, and malware did things like this all the time

there is still no reason why a random userland app should be able to hook the keyboard, move the mouse pointer or be able to affect other applications running on the system. at least not without going through a security framework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

nor does it allow random userspace applications to warp the mouse pointer or even query global window or pointer coordinates, which is good, because userland applications have no business doing any of those things

as long as you don't then act surprised when no one bothers actually porting a lot of things to your system.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I doubt they'll fix btrfs' myriad deficiencies. I'd assume they use it as a single disk fs with transparent compression and snapshots, and in that use case btrfs is fine.

It just can't do anything more than that.

pretty weird to conflate "anything" with "raid56"

(and you can use raid56 too, just research it and know about the caveats)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Tankakern posted:

(and you can use raid56 too, just research it and know about the caveats)

This. I have an array of 8x8tb spindles in a btrfs raid6, it's my primary media store, but honestly I just consider it a cache between usenet and kodi -- anything rare gets backed up elsewhere, but most of it can be obtained from usenet again in minutes. (really this makes me think I should drop it to raid5 now).

Over the course of two years, I've had to rebuild the filesystem once, because I was rebalancing from 6 disks to 8, and a curious cat disconnected the array's usb-c cable from the host, leaving the fs in a bad state. Otherwise it's been just peachy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tankakern posted:

pretty weird to conflate "anything" with "raid56"

I am not. Literally every facet of btrfs is broken by design, from admin tools to behaviour in degraded mode to data loss issues trying to recover from them.

Single disk use is the only use case for btrfs. If I needed redundancy with btrfs, I'd use mdraid with btrfs on top.

(I don't, because I'm responsible for hundreds of TB of research data, and I'm not going to entrust that to btrfs)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as long as you don't then act surprised when no one bothers actually porting a lot of things to your system.

agreed, security doesn't matter, only features

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
assuming btrfs wasn't buggy, would there be particular benefits to using btrfs raid instead of mdraid?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

assuming btrfs wasn't buggy, would there be particular benefits to using btrfs raid instead of mdraid?

in theory, btrfs can be smarter about writes by knowing the underlying array layout

in reality, you do it because you're bored, your data doesn't matter, and you hope to be able to catch a bug or two that might help it become production-worthy in the future.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

This. I have an array of 8x8tb spindles in a btrfs raid6, it's my primary media store,

i stopped reading at this point

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Truga posted:

not supporting standard PC features is reasonable? f13-24 have been part of the pc spec for decades this isn't some arcane thing

yes it is. i can probably find a spec for a turbo button from 1984 too. should wayland support that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

to be fair having some spare function key slots would be useful for running a simpsons soundboard on a separate f13-f24 keyboard

but only if the sound worked!!!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED A BROWSER ENHANCEMENT! CLICK 'ACCEPT' TO ENTER A WORLD OF SAVINGS AND GREAT DEALS, OR 'CANCEL' TO BE A FOOL AND IGNORE THESE GREAT OFFERS!"
*goes to click 'cancel'*
*pointer suddenly appears over the 'accept' button*

a website if left unchecked could flash colors on your screen and cause a seizure!!! my new windowing system only supports displaying two shades of gray to avoid this risk

color display and font rendering is obviously something that should only be available to kernel mode applications

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“my desktop compositor doesn’t support the 23rd function key” —statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i thought the app has to link a library and do compositing itself, or something

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey, maybe Valve will make some contributions to the FS to actually fix those issues if they're going to be using it in their hardware.

they'll get right on that. right after halflife 3 comes out

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yes, several reasons in fact.

As the fs knows exactly which blocks are used and which aren't, it can reduce the amount of data it has to transfer to a new disk when a drive fails. That's important since you want to return to normal service asap when a drive fails.

Since the fs checksums every block it can detect when the platter gives it bad data and instead read from redundancy. That's something mdraid can't do.

There are also issues where a drive loses connection to the array for a bit and is out of sync. If the fs directly controls the array, and if the fs is properly designed, it can catch up the disk very quickly.

All of these things have massive asterisks and foot guns with btrfs, but they work exceptionally well in zfs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The_Franz posted:

it's fine as long as you aren't using raid 5 or 6
and as long as you're not using mirrored disks where one member of the array fails, then you replace it and forget about it, until you have another disk fail at which point you'll have suffered dataloss - because you didn't know that you needed to mount the filesystem with the degraded option.
this has been an issue since 2014 and is apparently by design since it's mentioned on the wiki but not in the manual pages.

meanwhile, the only company who uses btrfs at scale, where data fault tolerance might be tested in the real world, only uses it for scale-out load-balancing orchestration where, if anything fails, they simply shut down an instance and reinitialize the instance from their proprietary filesystem.

edit: there's also a fun little caveat that if you try to verify that all the data matches the checksums stored on the disks it isn't self-healing because you may have to balance the array, nor are there things like persistent read or write caches, in-line encryption, in-line data-deduplication and the big plans to have up to 6 disks worth of distributed parity are nowhere to be seen.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 3, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

a website if left unchecked could flash colors on your screen and cause a seizure!!! my new windowing system only supports displaying two shades of gray to avoid this risk

color display and font rendering is obviously something that should only be available to kernel mode applications

hmm yes, a website flashing colors is exactly the same thing as any random userland program being able to see all global keystrokes and create fake input events

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

edit: there's also no way to verify that all the data matches the checksums stored on the disks with a feature like scrubbing that all other raid arrays support, nor are there things like persistent read or write caches, in-line encryption, in-line data-deduplication and the big plans to have up to 6 disks worth of distributed parity are nowhere to be seen.

what are you talking about here, mdraid?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs got c2 and c3 raid1s recently, and most other things you blathered about are wrong

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

aint got inline encrypt yet though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tankakern posted:

If it's BSD posting, assume it's related to ZFS. This time it's on topic though!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

nah, i was mixing up things. at some point btrfs didn't have patrol scrubbing, but it does now.

Tankakern posted:

btrfs got c2 and c3 raid1s recently, and most other things you blathered about are wrong
i have no idea what c2 and c3 raid1 is, and i'm not sure the developer does either.
edit: oh, raid1c2/raid1c3/raid1c4 is just n-way mirroring - the thing every raid array has been able to do since the idea of raid was invented.

go ahead and provide links to all the things you think btrfs has, that i'm supposedly wrong about.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If it's BSD posting, assume it's related to ZFS. This time it's on topic though!
this time i've genuinely tried not to mention it even once. :ignorance:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 3, 2022

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

ZFS is always present spiritually in any dissing of btrfs

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I do wish ZFS could be integrated into the install images of Linux distros. I know there are open source concerns with the two using different incompatible open source standards though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do wish ZFS could be integrated into the install images of Linux distros. I know there are open source concerns with the two using different incompatible open source standards though.
i'm not convinced that larry ellisson, if he wanted to, couldn't gently caress with linux using the +40 files in the btrfs directory that have oracle copyright - let alone the rest of the 21 million lines of code, some portion of which also come from oracle.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

hmm yes, a website flashing colors is exactly the same thing as any random userland program being able to see all global keystrokes and create fake input events

this javascript will turn your browser into a bomb!!!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ooh i found this synergy client for wlroots/kde-wayland/raw uinput so thats looking promising

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

speaking of wayland i figured out that i apparently cargo-culted all of the xorg meta-port on freebsd for nothing, none of it is needed if you're running wayland - all that's required is pulled in as a runtime dependency either via Xwayland or things like pango or gtk
so i ended up snipping almost 100 ports from my build

that's pretty cool

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
zfs on Linux is embarrassingly slow and bad, don’t use it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

zfs on Linux is embarrassingly slow and bad, don’t use it

I love how every post or high level "how-to" about zfs on linux (or any os, really) related completely ignores how unsuitable a default config zfs is anywhere but on a file server. The typical new zfs user spends about 6 months before they go "where the gently caress did my ram go?" and learn about configuring arc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only there was some way I could use Linux without having to deal with zfs configuration minutiae

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Still using ext4, still doing just fine.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Still using xfs, still doing just fine.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

is it safe to use xfs on a machine without a battery yet?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

Imagine not having a ups

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol imagine using xfs and wanting to shrink the partition. oh wait.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just have a single root partition bada bing bada boom

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the answer is sort of. xfs does now order data writes with respect to metadata writes so files full of nulls should generally not happen aiui. however it does still take full advantage of the fact that posix does not guarantee anything will hit disk until you call fsync. xfs is great for workloads that call fsync appropriately, which basically means databases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, distrobox is extremely rad. I was playing around with the arch AUR this evening on my Fedora machine and even the graphical apps felt just as fast as a native one.