Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Such a dumpster fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Animal Friend posted:

Ok let me preface this by saying your brother bought a house and that's fine, no judgement on circumstance.

But so many properties all over Australia are on reclaimed wetlands or floodplains. It's crazy. When I was living in South East Qld 20 years ago entire housing estates were being developed and sold on floodplains because it was cheap land.

In 2 decades the concept of 100 year (or in one ABC News grab "1000 year" or "500 year" floods) is just wrong now. Institutional knowledge with no place in reality.

The idea that these homes are even being sold now is insane. All across Australia building codes are a joke. But the idea that Brisbane has had 3 "hundred year floods" in the space of 2 decades makes any property being sold in a floodplain or low lying area crazy to me.

You're expected to buy a house. If all you can afford is a house in an easily flooded area than that's what your stuck with. Hope your able bodied, don't own anything valuable, hate carpet, can afford insurance and are extremely patient.

It speaks to a larger problem around urban development and the housing bubble. I know there's no practical solution at this point.

But loving hell.

the more we expand out from existing urban areas the more we are heading into bushfire, drought and flood-prone parts of Australia. housing market ftw!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1499585950212837378

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

it's with apologies though so it's self aware cringe

SEE YOU IN THE OFFICE NEVER FUCKOS

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
amazing work, elder millennial marketing and communications advisor. you could be the next weird al, but for corporate interests.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

No way am I clicking this

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Animal Friend posted:

Ok let me preface this by saying your brother bought a house and that's fine, no judgement on circumstance.

But so many properties all over Australia are on reclaimed wetlands or floodplains. It's crazy. When I was living in South East Qld 20 years ago entire housing estates were being developed and sold on floodplains because it was cheap land.

In 2 decades the concept of 100 year (or in one ABC News grab "1000 year" or "500 year" floods) is just wrong now. Institutional knowledge with no place in reality.

The idea that these homes are even being sold now is insane. All across Australia building codes are a joke. But the idea that Brisbane has had 3 "hundred year floods" in the space of 2 decades makes any property being sold in a floodplain or low lying area crazy to me.

You're expected to buy a house. If all you can afford is a house in an easily flooded area than that's what your stuck with. Hope your able bodied, don't own anything valuable, hate carpet, can afford insurance and are extremely patient.

It speaks to a larger problem around urban development and the housing bubble. I know there's no practical solution at this point.

But loving hell.

i agree entirely. it was not the smartest decision to buy there lol

there really should be legislation that strictly controls the types of buildings that can be constructed in low-lying / flood prone areas. plus a review of the 1:100, 1:1000 year flood/rain data because it feels a bit out of date what with the whole climate change thing going on.

as a civil engineer i just selfishly want there to be massive bulk earthworks levee/dam projects done to "protect" the coastal cities

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Animal Friend posted:

No way am I clicking this

good news, you can't even view the full thing unless you're a subscriber to the Australian

this is the premium content our subscribers have been clamoring for

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shouldn't he want us helping Ukraine then?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

starkebn posted:

The Bureau of Meteorology in Australia is calling the storms that have caused the flooding here "a 1 in 1000 year event"

lol, lmao there's been 3 in the last year that I can remember - Germany, Canada and Australia - so far.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
holy poo poo friendlyjordies video today about peter dutton is something else

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
why is he cleaning the table with that little straw?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

:thunk:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Looks like Shane Warne is not gonna be PM after all.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

our shane

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For some reason I thought he might not get the dead hero treatment.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
rest in peace king

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

For some reason I thought he might not get the dead hero treatment.

this is australia, married at first sight and sport are our nation

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

this is australia, married at first sight and sport are our nation

Warnie was like our Lady Di.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

exmarx posted:

rest in peace king

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

exmarx posted:

rest in peace king

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://twitter.com/MattCowgill/status/1499871844677013504?s=20&t=r7c-C6Xd6MwLiTEHcN6tbA

;_;7

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/GladysBParody/status/1499899449237458944

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

f ;_;

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEhXqfXdPY

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Gladys, mate

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
https://old.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/t5oszt/stan_grant_kicks_qa_audience_member_off_the_show/

Q&A somehow managing to sink to depths yet known to man

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

gardening australias the only good show on abc

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

im alan jones posted:

gardening australias the only good show

ftfy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

im alan jones posted:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

im alan jones posted:

I miss Peter Cundall

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

I miss Peter Cundall

he was a mad cund alright

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
fun fact I was watching gardening Australia on a Sunday when Diana concertina’d herself in Paris

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

I miss Peter Cundall

And that's your bloomin' lot.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1500594235535286274

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's the AEC page of deregistered parties in case anyone wants to read the official statement:

https://www.aec.gov.au/parties_and_representatives/Party_Registration/Deregistered_parties/index.htm

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

lmao eat poo poo DLP