Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok, thanks

do these companies really think people want to not only work in an office, but live in one of the most expensive cities in the country, when they could just work remotely from somewhere with a much lower COL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

ok, thanks

do these companies really think people want to not only work in an office, but live in one of the most expensive cities in the country, when they could just work remotely from somewhere with a much lower COL?

Yes, people want to live in the most expensive cities. That's why they're expensive.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a baseline of demand, but supply of land can never go up and peeps are not allowed to bid of smaller bits of land

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tk posted:

Yes, people want to live in the most expensive cities. That's why they're expensive.

yes but once covid started didn't a lot of people leave SF because they could work remotely somewhere else that had a lower col?

also building height restrictions are also a part of the issue

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

can someone re-link the negotiation thread for me? xoxo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

actionjackson posted:

yes but once covid started didn't a lot of people leave SF because they could work remotely somewhere else that had a lower col?

A lot of companies are trying to pull people back to the office now that Covid is over (it's not). We'll see how that works out for them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lament.cfg posted:

can someone re-link the negotiation thread for me? xoxo
got u

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

actionjackson posted:

also building height restrictions are also a part of the issue

the exodus from sf was extremely overblown. there were people who took advantage of being able to work remotely but it's not like the city emptied out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most of the people I know who moved away didn’t live in the city or oakland but one of the overpriced suburbs like pleasanton, san rafael or redwood city

I have rent control, it’s going to take “can pay cash for my dream house” to get me out of here

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It looks like home prices in that area are around 1k-1.2k/SF

that's 4-5x the cost where I live, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pay me 4-5x as much as I make now if I was interested in working there lol

are most places doing a partial remote thing?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't need a 5x increase in income to accommodate a 5x increase in your mortgage, though. it's weird that you'd expect that imo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

don’t sell yourself short

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

It looks like home prices in that area are around 1k-1.2k/SF

that's 4-5x the cost where I live, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pay me 4-5x as much as I make now if I was interested in working there lol

are most places doing a partial remote thing?

it depends upon your pay. if your current tc is 100k even or something like that 4-5x tc may actually be in the cards

and, you know, there might be some magic way to pay a 5k/mo mortgage on a 10k/mo cash comp

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
hot take: the only time a computer toucher should work/live in SF is if you need VC money for something

making IC engineers do it is dumb, especially in series b-large sized companies

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes I suppose you're right, and no I will never be making money like that, I'm not a software engineer, and not someone whose skills or interests would fit in a company that pays a LOT like FAANG

for the remote option they mentioned 130-150k, no idea what it would be in person. but not enough to afford an 800k shack or w/e

but maybe they won't even want a second interview so this may be irrelevant anyway

I don't have experience with clinical trials or statistical genetics, but I've been working with solid organ transplant data for the last six years, and they make DNA surveillance tools to look for early graft (transplanted organ) injury and rejection

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 4, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

actionjackson posted:

for the remote option they mentioned 130-150k, no idea what it would be in person. but not enough to afford an 800k shack or w/e

I moved to the bay for a FAANG for $125K/yr incl RSUs in 2013, straight out of undergrad. It wasn't enough money. I like to visit the bay and since my wifes family is from there do visit once per year. I hated living there. I moved back. No loving way in hell I'd move there for $150K now. The 500sq. ft. 1br apartment I paid $1650/mo then is now over $2000/mo.

For comparison $150K in SF peninsula is $80K~$90K in Minneapolis. If you stand your ground hunting for remote, you can move anywhere you want.

If starlink and self driving cars take off, a decade from now imma live on a bus for a year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CarForumPoster posted:

If starlink and self driving cars take off,

lolololololololol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Captain Foo posted:

lolololololololol

let me have hope okay

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my favorite product development sayings: “hope is not a strategy”

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

If starlink and self driving cars take off, a decade from now imma live on a bus for a year.

I wonder how well starlink and self driving cars will work in an infrastructure-less nuclear wasteland

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CarForumPoster posted:

let me have hope okay
hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

I moved to the bay for a FAANG for $125K/yr incl RSUs in 2013, straight out of undergrad.

No loving way in hell I'd move there for $150K now.

thats why they pay a quarter, third of a million now

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not for new grads

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

I moved to the bay for a FAANG for $125K/yr incl RSUs in 2013, straight out of undergrad. It wasn't enough money. I like to visit the bay and since my wifes family is from there do visit once per year. I hated living there. I moved back. No loving way in hell I'd move there for $150K now. The 500sq. ft. 1br apartment I paid $1650/mo then is now over $2000/mo.

For comparison $150K in SF peninsula is $80K~$90K in Minneapolis. If you stand your ground hunting for remote, you can move anywhere you want.

I make 83K right now in Minneapolis, though I also have insanely good health insurance (literally no deductible) since I work for a hospital system. The one thing that does appeal to me about SF is that it looks like you could live pretty easily without a car.

edit: drat FAANG has so much money, my first job in 2008 i got 50k lol

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I think I made more in bonuses last year than I did my first 3-4 years out of school.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

I was the same way, and then took some solid leaps jumping across companies.

My faang friends make 2-3x what I make now, and we've been working for around the same time. I don't feel too bad because I make good money, but still lol.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tk posted:

I think I made more in bonuses last year than I did my first 3-4 years out of school.

last year i made about as much as i did in my first 7 years out of school combined

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
if I land one of the jobs I’m aiming it will be almost a 2x bump because of the concept of “total compensation”. I’m a slow dummy and stayed at the same company for ten years so even tho I was getting decent raises I haven’t gotten any equity or bonuses ever because my initial contract was of a junior caliber. so when a company is offering me a 10% bump in cash and also a ton of equity and automatic bonuses my eyes bug out like a cartoon with dollar signs in them.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Plorkyeran posted:

last year i made about as much as i did in my first 7 years out of school combined

Nice.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

if I land one of the jobs I’m aiming it will be almost a 2x bump because of the concept of “total compensation”. I’m a slow dummy and stayed at the same company for ten years so even tho I was getting decent raises I haven’t gotten any equity or bonuses ever because my initial contract was of a junior caliber. so when a company is offering me a 10% bump in cash and also a ton of equity and automatic bonuses my eyes bug out like a cartoon with dollar signs in them.

“Automatic” bonus?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Cool but this poster is getting offered $150K. It's not about what FAANGs pay, its about evaluating this opportunity which it turns out is not a raise if he has to move but is a very good raise if he stays remote.

Also, they may pay touchers that but they're paying Mech E new grads closer to $150K, I hear.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

tk posted:

Nice.

“Automatic” bonus?

x% of salary as sign on and then yearly, assuming performance metrics and stuff I guess. I could also be wrong I’m not done interviewing anyway it’s still more than I get now lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

assuming performance metrics and stuff I guess.

It's not automatic. Ask them how much the bonus payout has been for the last few years and what it takes to get the full x%.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i had automatic bonuses at my last job. they were guaranteed in my contract and they got paid out in full every year I worked there even when we weren't making money

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

x% of salary as sign on and then yearly, assuming performance metrics and stuff I guess. I could also be wrong I’m not done interviewing anyway it’s still more than I get now lol

I mean yeah go for the job. Just don’t be one of those “oh whoops didn’t get max bonus and now I’m bankrupt” people.

It’s not a very hard situation to avoid.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ultrafilter posted:

It's not automatic. Ask them how much the bonus payout has been for the last few years and what it takes to get the full x%.

thanks I’ll make a note to ask

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also be sure to ask about bonus proration during the first/subsequent years. i got hosed because my bonus was prorated for paternity leave, which nobody told me about until bonus time.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1500499410530230272

Oh poo poo I didn’t know we were getting this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tk posted:

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1500499410530230272

Oh poo poo I didn’t know we were getting this

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

this a double edged sword. you do get a bit more info about the position and what it pays, but other employers can get salary information about your own position via public job postings. I don’t know if it’s clear whether this will actually improve wages for anybody who isn’t in tech.