Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcZEfJN4mDU

when you try to play metal gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

is that a live action appleseed

how terrible was it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm glad elden ring is bring back the crusader poo poo

I'm really enjoying the pseudo arthurian aesthetic

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maybe it's just that I haven't got very far, but Elden Ring seems to have way fewer "Surprise! Skeleton hiding behind the door" moments. Lots of see enemy - decide to fight or run past - do it no surprises

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

distortion park posted:

Maybe it's just that I haven't got very far, but Elden Ring seems to have way fewer "Surprise! Skeleton hiding behind the door" moments. Lots of see enemy - decide to fight or run past - do it no surprises

There's still the good old "arrow/spell/ballista out of nowhere! Trick" but yeah seems like it which I think is better tbh.

then again I walked right into the middle of the lake and got a surprise there!

also thank gently caress that they ditched the "can't summon if hollow" mechanic because I was terrible at the previous games and was hollow maybe 95% of the time and never summoned anyone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i used the small soapstone in dark souls 2 constantly and never had to use items to unhollow, lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

distortion park posted:

There are plenty in the small catacombs.
Some in the caves, but not much.

I haven't done any of the bigger castles/dungeons yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the biggest change in elden ring from the other souls games seems to be you have the freedom to peace out of almost anything

there is no one thing you simply must do to advance the game, you can always go look somewhere else and find something more doable that will also power you up a bit, and you can keep doing that until the bit you're stuck on gets easier

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

distortion park posted:

Imps are feeling like chopped liver now

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
they seem to happen much more in the legacy dungeons. the open world feels pretty fair.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got a sword made out of other swords last night

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

The Fool posted:

I got a sword made out of other swords last night

That's the one sword they let george rr martin design

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I also found a whip but am not sure about the best way to cosplay a belmont yet

maybe round up a short sword and stock up on throwables

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haveblue posted:

the biggest change in elden ring from the other souls games seems to be you have the freedom to peace out of almost anything

there is no one thing you simply must do to advance the game, you can always go look somewhere else and find something more doable that will also power you up a bit, and you can keep doing that until the bit you're stuck on gets easier

it's sort of amazing how much the open-world conceit has improved the *souls formula

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
between Technobabylon getting a macOS port on steam, and shadow warrior 3 hitting ps now, I should be able to stave off an immediate replay of disco Elysium hardcore with 6 psy

also sw3 is so far like a dumbed down doom 2016 and that is quite refreshing. what a good dumb guy game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:owned:

https://i.imgur.com/L4TSiw4.gifv

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

distortion park posted:

that was one thing that shocked me in demons souls, where a monster was right behind a corner at the top of some stairs and knocked me into the abyss the second i walked onto the landing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think someone posted a video of that a few pages back

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm in an area with minotaur ghost right now and if I don't pay attention they can materialize literally on top of me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Beat Elden Ring at 109... Sword of Night and Flame OP. I'm debating trying to level up more before NG+ also lol I'm going to bounce off NG+ so hard for Gran Turismo.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Played "FAR Reaching Tides" on gamepass.

At least Gris was trying to say something. At least Limbo didn't have huge chunks where you just traveled slowly for more than a few minutes.

What a disappointment.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bought elden ring, only had time to set up my character (went with astrologer) and run around the starting area a little bit but seems cool so far

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

too many hours playing botw means i take a swig from my flask when im trying to attack sometimes. gotta undo that muscle memory

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

too many hours playing botw means i take a swig from my flask when im trying to attack sometimes. gotta undo that muscle memory

Very relatable. I had gone through my pile of boiled shrimp by the time I got to handsy spider

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I know there are a few boomer shooter fans here. Humble bundle currently has a bundle with a few of them.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/best-boomer-shooters-bundle

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm only into millenial shooters

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait do you shoot boomers in these? i might be interested

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No boomer shooters are ones in which you play as a boomer and have to interact with the ideal America.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That's why they all have very dark themes, it's a dog eat dog world out there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's weird that the games millenials grew up on are being called 'boomer shooters.' idk if thats just 'boomer' as shorthand for 'old' or because younger boomers were in their late 20s/early 30s and so maybe were making those games. doesnt matter i guess

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like playing video games.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Armitag3 posted:

Very relatable. I had gone through my pile of boiled shrimp by the time I got to handsy spider
sssssaturday night mfs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like playing video games.

hosed up if true

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i love quake clones and im happy they’re in vogue again.

however, brutal doom with the maps of chaos wad pack is my favorite shooter of all time.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/monosynth/status/1394050394578317313

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

it's weird that the games millenials grew up on are being called 'boomer shooters.' idk if thats just 'boomer' as shorthand for 'old' or because younger boomers were in their late 20s/early 30s and so maybe were making those games. doesnt matter i guess

It's just a fun name for that genre of shooter. Millennial is also a term that covers about 25 years and there were a lot of shooting innovations made during that time. My first FPS game was wolf 3d because my dad was a big fan, I only really started playing them a lot more when I got into middle school and started playing stuff like half life and 1.6.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

it's not as weird if you remember that both demographers and marketers are craven cowards who will say and write literally any nonsense if they think it will make them a buck

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

finally picked up cyberpunk 2077 because the game is functional now and wow, it's actually good

probably not great for my mental health to be playing a game about existential dread during a period of real-world existential dread but well'p

it'd be poetic for this to be the last game I play before russia drops the bomb I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
they’re called boomer shooters cause the gun go boom