Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

while the thought of seeing the people who passive aggressively allude to posters and opinions they don't like as being secretly Nazi actually quote the posts they're talking about is intriguing, I don't think it would be very satisfying to read in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Music talent shows seem like relics; at least in the US. Most of the contestants on shows like American Idol and the the Voice don't go on to be famous and the industry they're competing to join is famous for bad deals. I could be wrong though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem is that those things have been going on for so long that it is hard to care about the 20th winner of a show.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's also hard to find new talent when you're auditioning a bunch of cover artists. Unless you just want more disposable Disney Channel style packaged pop vocalists who can drop an Xmas album and disappear.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's also hard to find new talent when you're auditioning a bunch of cover artists. Unless you just want more disposable Disney Channel style packaged pop vocalists who can drop an Xmas album and disappear.

Pretty sure that's always been the point? All the way back to the original Pop Idol show the prize was to release one guaranteed hit single (because people had been tuning in for a months-long ad campaign on national television) then become an answer in a trivia quiz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

But yes, supposedly the original American Idol winner's recording contract was absolutely awful. Where they didn't control anything and were basically dancing monkeys for the record label.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Which is funny because Kelly Clarkson is the only one to actually turn it into a career

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is funny because Kelly Clarkson is the only one to actually turn it into a career

Carrie Underwood as well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Carrie Underwood as well

Is she still doing stuff? I know she had a pretty decent country career but I haven’t heard her for years.

I know Clarkson has a talk show that still goes on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

But yes, supposedly the original American Idol winner's recording contract was absolutely awful. Where they didn't control anything and were basically dancing monkeys for the record label.

Same with the UK shows. One group revealed that while on their winners tour selling out 20,000 capacity stadia they were getting less than 1% of the gate.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

So basically every big label record contract.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Didn't there use to be less... reality showy and over the top talent shows? I feel like there was a major shift somewhere in the 2000s to make them a lot more like reality shows with the edited/staged behind-the-scenes drama and hostile commentary. Also way more money involved.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's funny when the losers of an American Idol season end up being more successful than the winners.

Looking specifically at Chris Daughtry's career completely overshadowing anything Taylor Hicks has done.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's funny when the losers of an American Idol season end up being more successful than the winners.

Looking specifically at Chris Daughtry's career completely overshadowing anything Taylor Hicks has done.

Jennifer Hudson is arguably the most famous person to come from American Idol and she finished in 7th!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did William Hung make more money than... whoever the hell won season three? Apparently he has fond memories of his music career :kimchi:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vandar posted:

Given the above contracts I wouldn't be surprised if the losers have exposure plus more freedom to actually sing what they want and are good at.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did William Hung make more money than... whoever the hell won season three? Apparently he has fond memories of his music career :kimchi:

Well, it looks like we've got a mistrial, but on the plus side we've also got a Hung Jury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK_FgrIlYY

LASER BEAM DREAM has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Mar 6, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't there use to be less... reality showy and over the top talent shows? I feel like there was a major shift somewhere in the 2000s to make them a lot more like reality shows with the edited/staged behind-the-scenes drama and hostile commentary. Also way more money involved.

It's whatever the reality show version of Flanderization is. They were just as scripted back then, but there's always some sort of drama that happens and that gets ratings so they chase that and so on and so forth.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Going by a radiolab(??) episode I heard about him, yeah he's okay with his early 00s viral fad status.

well except that one time where he was trying to be a teacher and couldnt get control of the class and the senior teacher flatout told him either get them under control or youre never going to be a teacher. children(teens/HSers?) / students are pychos. :smith:

Also here's his cover of We Are The Champions thats the outro of the npr episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2P4F4Xi2g

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's whatever the reality show version of Flanderization is. They were just as scripted back then, but there's always some sort of drama that happens and that gets ratings so they chase that and so on and so forth.

Every show ripping off each other and doing it harder and more intense until it becomes a parody of itself. It's a common thing in a genre where poo poo's cheap to make and doesn't usually rely on name talent, there's no point trying originality when you can just make more of what people can't seem to get enough of.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm really trying to remember what middle-aged Clay Aiken mom fans called themselves and I can't remember. My only memory is that it was weird/creepy/possibly perverted.

I keep thinking up random terrible names such as "Clayliens" "Claytonayters" "Claytorises" "Claymbiciles" "Claybabes" "Claydiots" "ClayClams"

But I don't think any of those are it and I'm too lazy to google

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm really trying to remember what middle-aged Clay Aiken mom fans called themselves and I can't remember. My only memory is that it was weird/creepy/possibly perverted.

I keep thinking up random terrible names such as "Clayliens" "Claytonayters" "Claytorises" "Claymbiciles" "Claybabes" "Claydiots" "ClayClams"

But I don't think any of those are it and I'm too lazy to google

I googled it and it's a crossword clue. Claymates

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jennifer Hudson is arguably the most famous person to come from American Idol and she finished in 7th!

Melanie Martinez only made it to the top 6 in one of the first few seasons of The Voice and she ended up with a clothing line at Hot Topic + had a song she made in 2015 become a sleeper hit thanks to TikTok. I think she's got more clout among Gen Z technically speaking but I can't think of anybody more notable from the same show; a lot of the time it feels more like a vehicle for promotion for the coaches themselves than anything else

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

On The Voice they announce the winner with literally like 3 seconds of airtime left.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
They seem to be more willing to put politicians on reality tv these days, like Palin and Giuliani on the Masked Singer or Sean Spicer on Dancing with the stars. Hopefully they can create a hardcore Fear Factor version of Survivor and make it Washington D.C. and let hem cannibalize each other under a fresher pretense.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I googled it and it's a crossword clue. Claymates

I'm surprised I didn't think of that one. Claybabes was kind of close.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Maybe Michael Jackson is cheating but the plot of the musical short Ghosts is that his character moved into a spooky house on the edge of town and he's been entertaining local children who come to see him perform. A group of concerned parents show up saying things like "you're a freak! Get out of here! We don't like our kids hanging around you!" and he wins them over with the power of dance.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Maybe Michael Jackson is cheating but the plot of the musical short Ghosts is that his character moved into a spooky house on the edge of town and he's been entertaining local children who come to see him perform. A group of concerned parents show up saying things like "you're a freak! Get out of here! We don't like our kids hanging around you!" and he wins them over with the power of dance.

I'll call that and raise you Moonwalker, a movie tie in game where you play as Michael Jackson "rescuing" children from evil Joe Pesci:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37TJdTI5M0

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

I think it basically became a rule of nature for Australian Idol that, with the exception of the first season where the winner's still going strong*, the winner would always flame out within one or two songs and one or more of the losers would completely eclipse them. I would say it generally came down to the fact that the winner was stuck in a personality-free and actually pretty narrow-appeal pigeonhole, while the losers got the better deal of a platform to show their stuff while not being stuck with a contract that sticks them in a genre they might not be suited for. Actually wasn't surprising that most of the non-winner successes went into genres like country, folk, or in one case metal.

*and that one winner is mostly big off of a Hillsong-backed career at this point, so, poisoned chalice.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm surprised more of those types of shows didn't crack down earlier and still lock down Finalists in some kind of 2nd/3rd Place Contract.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Croccers posted:

I'm surprised more of those types of shows didn't crack down earlier and still lock down Finalists in some kind of 2nd/3rd Place Contract.

Didn't Kelly Clarkson get out of her contract and do better once she didn't have to use American Idol producers?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mooseontheloose posted:

Didn't Kelly Clarkson get out of her contract and do better once she didn't have to use American Idol producers?

Yeah, they had her on a seven record deal with Sony, an unenviable position since she didn't get royalties on any of those albums. Now that's she's out she's generally happier and can sign her own, better, deals.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It also gave us the cinematic masterpiece: From Justin to Kelly

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

christmas boots posted:

Which later delivered uponst us tiny Justin Guarini telling soccer moms they, too, can enjoy a refreshing Dr Pepper.

Those ads are silly af and they make me smile.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

christmas boots posted:

Why we never got a Rifftrax out of this, I'll never know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mister Kingdom posted:

Either they didn't feel it was a good fit for riffing, or the owning company either said no or asked for more than they could afford, like when they tried to do Twilight but got shutdown.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kwyndig posted:

Either they didn't feel it was a good fit for riffing, or the owning company either said no or asked for more than they could afford, like when they tried to do Twilight but got shutdown.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mister Kingdom posted:

How Did This Get Made? Did it as an episode of the podcast, although that’s more of a comedy discussion/ post watch reaction format than riffing so it doesn’t quite scratch the same itch

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They tried to do a live show with Twilight but couldn't because even with Kickstarter money they couldn't afford the rights to show it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

They tried to do a live show with Twilight but couldn't because even with Kickstarter money they couldn't afford the rights to show it.

Ah, my mistake then.